Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stone Cold Sober" - what's the point ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i didnt see tonights epeisode but just wacthed the first episode on the rte player there.
    i dunno, i dont think its so bad to warrant the reaction it got here. im 24, of the same generation as the guys on it and me and my mates would be very similar to the lads on the show in the sense that we always meet in the pub at the weekend-wouldnt be there thursday to sunday mind you but friday and saturday would generally involve one massive blowout and then cans in someones house.
    living in leixlip i know LOADS of young lads though who do drink along the same lines at the guys on the show-weekend benders and then a few pints during the week if champions league or the likes is on.
    im interested to see how they got on anyways.a good few of my mates decided to take it easy after xmas and not drink for january and theres only myself and one other that havent broke it. in any situation it can be hard to break from a routine/lifestyle-it just so happens this show focuses on alcohol in their lifestyles.theyre trying to break that routine so fair play to them for that at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

A lot of people seem to be giving out about the lads not doing anything productive with their time.

No-one is moaning about them not doing anything with their time. The boys said they went to the pub so much because they have nothing else to do, so others are pointing out all of the alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

They are completely exaggerating the impact of not drinking as well.

Yup, they're displaying a serious lack of imagination, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

iguana wrote: »
    No-one is moaning about them not doing anything with their time. The boys said they went to the pub so much because they have nothing else to do, so others are pointing out all of the alternatives.

To be fair, tonight's episode did show a few of these lads try take up something more productive such as music and football.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Good to see the lads getting back to some of their old activities such as soccer, music and the gym. Yer man was close to going on the booze in Ibiza, fair play he resisted. The lads will probaly make it the whole way now and hopefully will stick to their other hobbies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

The Pugs fella mentioned something about folks telling him to have a few pints and loosen up. Peer pressure from other folk will be going on.

Did think the Liam fella was going to give in but fair play he didn't!
    This whole comedy act they will be putting on next week should be interesting.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

What a horrific concept for a television show, I saw about 5 minutes of the first show and had to turn it off for fear I'd throw the remote through the screen.......

Bad enough making one show of these muppets sitting around complaining about how hard it is not to drink........but they've made a series of it and stick it on Monday night........Jesus Christ:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

df1985 wrote: »
    in any situation it can be hard to break from a routine/lifestyle-it just so happens this show focuses on alcohol in their lifestyles.theyre trying to break that routine so fair play to them for that at least.

If they want to make changes to their lifestyles fair play but for f**k sake do I have to be subjected to them moaning about every monday evening.

I'm trying to stop biting my fingernails, maybe I'll see if RTE want to commission a documentary series about it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Here are three suggestions I have.

2) Pick up a book or newspaper once in a while. Even though I live in Dublin, I sit in most evenings doing just that

Can't imagine a 4 night a week pub going lad sitting down and actually reading. Well, maybe he will read the sports pages or to ogle at some scantily clad dish on page 3,4,5,6,7 etc on the tabloid he is most likely looking at if he is actually reading.

finty wrote: »
    If they want to make changes to their lifestyles fair play but for f**k sake do I have to be subjected to them moaning about every monday evening.

for people watching the show who dont have a similar lifestyle, sure, it can seem pointless.remember though there are thousands of young lads in the same cycle/routine so maybe this show will give them a bit of a wake-up call.the show sure as hell doesnt promote drinking, they seem miserable. maybe other young lads will see there's more to the pub-no harm in that.

if i could make a change to the show id prefer to see them examine the effects it will have on their health more so than just showing theyre finding it hard to give it up.no mention of the dangers its having on their lives really apart from a little check up at the start where we werent even told much of the results.

also i wouldnt last half a day in ibiza without getting smashed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Any posters on here who attended the charity comedy night that is coming up next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Are they still off the drink?....or two mins after the cameras stop rollin' did they hit the bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Its just getting too repetitive for me. You can take them to Ibiza or wherever you like but it still ends up being about 20 minutes of one of them going "I'd love a drink."

I actually think it could be an interesting show. But either the choice of lads is wrong or the lack of imagination is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

I think it's a good show. It's true of every town in Ireland in fairness. The lads are fairly entertaining too.

And I know earlier in the thread people were wondering who developed the concept for the show. I noticed in the credits last night that it says original idea came from Gerry Kelly, who's Gerry in the group (he's the one who wants to be a rapper). Fair play to them for getting the show and fair dues if they raised 20K!

I'll definitely watch the rest of the series. I wonder though, since it goes up until New Years, are they allowed drink on New Years? That'd be tough enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,193 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hrududu wrote: »
    Its just getting too repetitive for me. You can take them to Ibiza or wherever you like but it still ends up being about 20 minutes of one of them going "I'd love a drink."

I actually think it could be an interesting show. But either the choice of lads is wrong or the lack of imagination is the problem.

Yeah, I have to agree. After show 1 I was well interested, but show 2 was
    pretty much the same old, "I'd love a drink." I think it's being overplayed to be honest.
    It's like they are being starved of bloody oxygen the way they are overplaying it.

I will still watch it, as there are some interesting snippets awaiting I am sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jamesmcc

Las nite proved da lads hav more 2 life than jus da drink. All of ye whu wer slagin them shud bac off cos dey r doing a gud job. Its not ezy to go on holidays without drinkin.

At least dey will be famous now after da programe lik dat lad Brefny and wil get gud jobs + nice birds which is mayb why so many ppl here r jealous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

jamesmcc wrote: »
    nice birds which is mayb why so many ppl here r jealous.

Are you saying your mother isn't a nice bird?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Las nite proved da lads hav more 2 life than jus da drink. All of ye whu wer slagin them shud bac off cos dey r doing a gud job. Its not ezy to go on holidays without drinkin.

At least dey will be famous now after da programe lik dat lad Brefny and wil get gud jobs + nice birds which is mayb why so many ppl here r jealous.

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jamesmcc

Wat da hell r u talkin about amamchachi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Have you been drinking their share?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wat da hell r u talkin about amamchachi??

If you don't understand then there's really no point in me explaining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭fontinalis

Great spelling, hooray for the knowledge economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Since you obviously know the lads and they're off the drink and have loads of spare time maybe one of them could help you with the whole learning to spell thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

jamesmcc: One of the rules in the charter (on most forums, not just TV) is that you don't use text speak. Trying to decipher posts written in code is just annoying. You have a full keyboard, please use it.

From the Charter:
    No TXT SPK (please use full words and sentences)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

After listening to that guy attempting to rap the only advice I can give is to not give up the day job.

Oh wait...

Seriously though the show should dig deeper and maybe the guys should be signed up for councelling or something (obviously not film the entire session) where they can openly discuss if they are genuinely struggling, you never know they could be depressed. No job, copious amounts of alcohol, small town syndrome. All these lead to depression and a lot of the currently unemployed people could relate to this.

I just feel that the show is merely documenting six people trying to 'survive' without alcohol for six months. If they really wanted to make an impact, they should set about trying to make these people re evaluate their lives and lead them on a path of self-discovery. They could make life changing decisions for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I watched the first two shows.
    After watching the first show i found myself geting pretty down for an hour or two, because it was looking at myself when i was in my 20's.
    A lot of wasted time and money. Weekend boozers like these lads.
    I must admit, i didn't try to do anything about it until i hit 30, so great credit to them, as most of them are early to mid 20's. Alcohol abuse and dependancy is a real problem, and if this programe gives a few people a wake up call, then it was worth making it.

the show focuses too much on their "struggle" to not drink when it should highlight the benefits its doing to their health and even their wallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Another victory for the Irish educational system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

df1985 wrote: »
    the show focuses too much on their "struggle" to not drink when it should highlight the benefits its doing to their health and even their wallet!

I would imagine the benefits will be focused on in the coming episodes, as the lads readjust, and rediscover things to do other than drink.
    The first 2 shows were at the begining of their sobriety, and they were always going to focus on how tough it is to quit drinking. I do agree that they overplayed it a bit though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any hot girls in this show?....do the lads go out pullin` instead of drinkin`?

Advertisement