Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stone Cold Sober" - what's the point ?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I can't really see how someone managed to think this was a good idea.

So some guys are going to spend 6 months without any drink - or "without a hangover" as the promo puts it......so ****what ???? :rolleyes:

I reckon I've had one minor hangover in 6 months......it's called sensible drinking, and having decent, fun nights out with friends instead of getting polluted.

I know there's some ridiculous programmes (55 stone virgins and druggies sex fetishes, etc, etc) on the rubbish satellite channels, but I would have expected much, much more from RTE.

What happened to the days when people got onto TV because they actually achieved something worthwhile, rather than simply being sensible and leading a normal life ?

As I said, I'd expect it from some of the brain-dead channels, but RTE ?

Have they sunk to a new banal low with this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

6 months without drink. Is this supposed to be impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

No doubt they go on a big binge once the six months are up as the series finale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I've been off the drink for over 6 months in a row before.

I'm expecting my phone call of congratulations from the president any time soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Because anyone who drinks at all is obviously an alcoholic and the only way to prove you're not is to go ages without doing something you enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

Maybe he isn't your average sensible drinker and drinks to excess yet isn't an alcoholic so they want to show your typical guy that gets pissed too often and show them what it's doing to their body, and how much better they will feel and look without it or something?

Not backing up RTE (God forbid!) but maybe they might show the health benefits etc and it might cop a few people on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

The recession must really be hitting RTE, their new progams just get bad to worse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Rte have another new show coming out called "With cheese, please". A group of six people have to go a whole year only eating foods that contain cheese and we follow what impact this has on their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Is the show about finding night time social activities that don't involve drink? If so it's gonna be a whole series about bowling, drugs and hookers.

It would be alright as a once off special I suppose, maybe showing some heavy drinkers trying to fill their evenings with other persuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Rte have another new show coming out called "With cheese, please". A group of six people have to go a whole year only eating foods that contain cheese and we follow what impact this has on their life.

Yeah I'm part of that show, still waiting for the e-mail telling me to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

And of course not forgetting the spin-off, "Celebrity with cheese, please", coming in the Summer.

It stars such huge names as Katherine Lynch, one of those interchangeable women off xpose and Marty Whelan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Liam Byrne wrote: »

As I said, I'd expect it from some of the brain-dead channels, but RTE ?

Don't cod yourself.
    RTE are just a step away from producing a show called "Monkey tennis" with Pat Shortt.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Maybe they are all alcoholics and this is a serious documentary about life after 6 months sober. Maybe not!

The point is to have boards complain about 6 months of god awful TV from RTÉ Two. They are testing boards posters IMO.

Also why are there 2 threads about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

dloob wrote: »
    No doubt they go on a big binge once the six months are up as the series finale

I have a feeling at least one of them will have found the whole experience so profound that he will announce that he'll never drink again. "I found I didn't need drink, nobody really needs it. I was just using it as a crutch, and it was holding me back. I feel like I have a whole new lease on life. This is just the beginning." Cue shot of him looking pensive as the sun sets in the background.

Actually I'm expecting their reactions to be massively over the top, with lots of deep meaningful stuff about how it's changing their view on life and so on. Added to the cringe factor of seeing people plastered in crappy nightclubs while the guys tell us how awkward it is not to be drinking in such venues (that's why people drink when they go to nightclubs!), well, I'm not hopeful.
    Elmo wrote: »
    The point is to have boards complain about 6 months of god awful TV from RTÉ Two. They are testing boards posters IMO.

You might be right!
    Elmo wrote: »
    Also why are there 2 threads about this?

I'd say because the OP gave the other thread the generic title of "new show on RTE". I didn't even notice it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I havent read through all of the previous contributions but I was thinking about setting up a similar thread.. I mean a friend of mine gave up the beer for good one morning for no apparent reason and is still off it six years later. Should he get a show for himself too?..

I havent read through all of the previous contributions but I was thinking about setting up a similar thread.. I mean a friend of mine gave up the beer for good one morning for no apparent reason and is still off it six years later. Should he get a show for himself too?..

Definitely. A show at least six seasons long by my reckoning.

BUT he may have to be wacky, zany, mad craic altogether, an awful crazy yoke, or some combination of those, and do madcap things such as "going on a rollercoaster."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Oooh lighten up folks. :p

Might be funny in parts. I'm going to be checking it out anyway :D

If done right it might show other lads/lassies that you can go out and have fun without drink every weekend. No harm in that is there!

Plus show folks how it isn't easy for alot of people to just stop drinking.

It's a defence mechanism for me - I always assume any new RTE show will be the absolute worst it could possibly be. That way, I can only ever be pleasantly surprised!

Somehow they usually manage to disappoint me regardless of that.

I keep revising my expectations downwards and RTE keeps on making their shows even worse. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

so much rubbish i mean cum on how big a deal is it? are u so weak that alcool is so important to ur existence? omg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

MikeC101 wrote: »
    It's a defence mechanism for me - I always assume any new RTE show will be the absolute worst it could possibly be. That way, I can only ever be pleasantly surprised!

Somehow they usually manage to disappoint me regardless of that.

I keep revising my expectations downwards and RTE keeps on making their shows even worse. :(

I've noticed this defence mechanism seems to happen a few times with people!

Can people not write into them and suggest ideas for what they would like to see? I'm talking sensible ideas and not smart arse ones. I'm also not saying give away brand new series ideas incase you are onto something and could make your own tv show!

I'd say RTE don't have a clue what the folks of Ireland think and so keep ploughing on with the stuff they are giving us.

Anyway that's just me thinking to meself! I'm not sure how they will play this story out but here's hoping it turns into something worthwhile.
    It's on bit late though aint it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

but I would have expected much, much more from RTE.

Why though?

RTE have jumped on the reality TV bandwagon (5 years too late, mind) so now every second primetime show has to be some cheaply produced crap like this.

I now feel genuinely annoyed at having to pay a license fee. If it was optional, i wouldn't. RTE doesn't have a single redeeming show on any of it's channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ToniTuddle wrote: »

I'd say RTE don't have a clue what the folks of Ireland think

No, it's that they just don't care.

RTE have jumped on the reality TV bandwagon (5 years too late, mind) so now every second primetime show has to be some cheaply produced crap like this.

I now feel genuinely annoyed at having to pay a license fee. If it was optional, i wouldn't. RTE doesn't have a single redeeming show on any of it's channels.

The problem is that these terrible "entertainment" shows stand out. There are other better commissioned shows on RTÉ and if you were to just look at RTÉ Factual, Current Affairs, News, Documentary and even Feature/Lifestyle programming you would be questioning how they could possible get "entertainment" so wrong.

And RTE have been producing Reality TV since 2000 but right across all TV channel we have seen an increase is bloody reality type television from Gok Wong's how to look good naked to The F Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

rte is dead and buried IMO. Irelands got talent, winning streak, ryan tubridy, its becoming a national embarassment....scrap it and give me my f#ckin tv license money back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also like the insinuations the ads make that "my god, apart from drinking youself into oblivion in a pub, there's nothing to do in Dublin!!eleven". As a casual drinker who - shock horror - can enjoy a sensible number of drinks over the course of an evening, I'm vaguely embarrassed at the whole idea of this show. Particularly this suggestion that there's no social activities beyond drinking your liver into a shriveled husk (although I haven't seen the show - yet - an interview on the radio with these men confirmed that this seemed to be the line that they were going for).

Oh and I don't mind admitting that my judgmental nature immediately kicked-in upon seeing these clowns & thought to myself "Jesus, they even look like a pack of douchebags anyway, whose only ideas of 'fun' is inebriation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also like the insinuations the ads make that "my god, apart from drinking youself into oblivion in a pub, there's nothing to do in Dublin!!eleven".

I thought the sensationalist promo for it was ridiculous. You'd swear the stereotype of the "Irish lads always drunk" was true. I can imagine what visitors to the country would make of this... "Jesus the irish consider not drinking such a big deal, they have a show about a lad who tried to give it up"... My point is that the whole pretext for the show is an exaggeration of the dependency that Irish people have on alcohol.

Why dont they head to the first session of an AA meeting and drag six lads out of that? At least something constructive would be achieved with this like the Operation Transformation. How about Operation Detoxification?

Can you imagine it... There'd be none of this "Oh Gerry, I had a weak moment yesterday... and I took out the frying pan" *starts crying".... It would be more like "I had a weak moment yesterday.. I drank four bottles of Paddy and six cans of Tuborg" and film him as he falls off the wagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I think it's a sad reflection of our society that the idea for this show was ever even considered. Yes, I thinks it's a load of codswallop (6 months off the drink, big effing wow), but I CAN understand how it came to be. The nightclub/getting absolutely off your face culture amongst 16 - 30 year olds (but primarily the 18-24 age group) is absolutely disgraceful. I'm 20, and yes I've gotten too drunk at times in my life but not to the frequency and extent that many of my peers do. Week in, week out, same routine over and over - drink, go out, get plastered, drink, go out, get plastered, drink, go out, get plastered.

Sure there's many people my age who drink and go out and do it all sensibly but there are also vast numbers who can't imagine their lifes without alcohol. Not that they are alcoholics so to speak, but they are utterly dependent on this nightclub/house party/getting-plastered culture. To them, 6 months without it is incomprehensible.

Unfortunately, this show does have some relevance to young people. I hope it's filled with scare tactics that might inspire some people to change their relationship with alcohol. However, most likely the people who need to see it won't even watch it.

They'll be too busy getting plastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So some guys are going to spend 6 months without any drink - or "without a hangover" as the promo puts it......so ****what ???? :rolleyes:
    Wonder will the scumbags be off drugs as well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cortcookie

the reason for the show was to show that there was other things to do other than drinkin it wasnt just about giving up drink and they did that. they also raised 20 thousand for charity so how can u say whats the point ? if u watch the show ull see how funny the lads are and what its actually about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tvbuff10

im from around the area where the show was filmed and the lads did this show for a bit of fun and if it changed the minds of a few people when it comes to drinkin it would be worth while, if you would take the time to watch the show first you would see that the lads raised around 20 thousand euro for charity so that alone makes the show worthwhile in my eyes, i bet most of you sittin around giving bad comments to people you dont know havent raised that much money for charity, give them a break, they have done you no harm and have done a great thing for a charity and could possibly change some youngsters views on alcohol

Advertisement