Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stone Cold Sober" - what's the point ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Nice of you both to sign up. Tell me, did you miss the drink for 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cortcookie

i wasnt off the drink i just know the lads that were!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

mikom wrote: »
    Don't cod yourself.
    RTE are just a step away from producing a show called "Monkey tennis" with Pat Shortt.

I would watch Monkey Tennis.

cortcookie wrote: »
    i wasnt off the drink i just know the lads that were!!!!!!

Please can you honestly tell me how this all came about? Did the lads contact RTE, put a production proposal together, pitch to RTE? Or as I suspect, some RTE hacks were kicking about the office hungover and thought 'Hey lets call two people we know and make a show about boozin'?
    Seriously, as someone who co-financed this production I would love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tvbuff10

im not sure wat way they went about it but all i know is they dont deserve to get a hard time just because their show got accepted, as i said before they took the oppertunity and used it to raise money for a good cause, whats the harm in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Please can you honestly tell me how this all came about? Did the lads contact RTE, put a production proposal together, pitch to RTE? Or as I suspect, some RTE hacks were kicking about the office hungover and thought 'Hey lets call two people we know and make a show about boozin'?
    Seriously, as someone who co-financed this production I would love to know.

RTÉ have a commissioning editor of Entertainment. Independent production companies put a production proposal together and pitch it to RTÉ. Unfortunately as we are all beginning to realize the Commissioning Editor of Entertainment isn't up to much.

Well done to the lads for raising the money, it is no fault of their's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

retarded & sh1te programming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tvbuff10

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ have a commissioning editor of Entertainment. Independent production companies put a production proposal together and pitch it to RTÉ. Unfortunately as we are all beginning to realize the Commissioning Editor of Entertainment isn't up to much.

Thanks for the comment Elmo, thats the point im making, its not the lads fault, dont understand why people are criticizing them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'm off the drink for 11 years...where's my show RTE!?

Elmo wrote: »

I was hoping to find out the genesis of this particular program; who's idea was it, why these two lads? etc.
    tvbuff10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comment Elmo, thats the point im making, its not the lads fault, dont understand why people are criticizing them?
    Personally, I'm curious how such a bland show came into being, no interest in slagging the lads, mere camera fodder for RTE.

EDIT:
    EO Telifis produced; they approached lads, lads approached them? Company has a background for Irish speaking programmes, not based in Dublin 11 anyhoo. Make shows for RTE/TG4.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

ye i say fair play to guys for going on show, and maby they will be funny but its such a stupid show even for ireland.

I was hoping to find out the genesis of this particular program; who's idea was it, why these two lads? etc.

Perhaps they were doing it for charity and a production company heard about it and offered to RTÉ as a Reality TV show and RTÉ said alright.

It seems that that is what happened.
    Gerry then made a pilot film of his friends and sent it to television production companies, with EO Teilifis taking the bait.

EO Teilifis also produce Ros Na Run.

It is 6 guys not just 2.

http://www.carlowpeople.ie/news/six-are-stone-cold-sober-1999308.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 mknotaro

I might be wrong, as I think this show is starting tonight so I haven't seen it yet, but are we sure that it's a comissioned from Entertainment.

It could be another one of those badly thought-out Lifestyle offerings (ie. Baz's Culture Clash).

But I do agree with the original question: Stone Cold Sober - What's The Point?

mknotaro wrote: »
    I might be wrong, as I think this show is starting tonight so I haven't seen it yet, but are we sure that it's a comissioned from Entertainment.

It could be another one of those badly thought-out Lifestyle offerings (ie. Baz's Culture Clash).

Starts tonight at 10.25pm

The RTE website seems to suggest Lifestyle alright. Generally Lifestyle are commissioning on RTÉ One.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm off the drink for 11 years...where's my show RTE!?

Y'know Richard I think I'd watch a show about you. It could be all about you not drinking and nefariously receiving and watching tv shows from all around the world. The best would be the episodes where you are getting all excited waiting for a show you love and then it would be a terrible episode and you'd be really upset and angry. It would also be pretty good when you love an episode and then go online to rave about it and everyone else thinks it stinks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also like the insinuations the ads make that "my god, apart from drinking youself into oblivion in a pub, there's nothing to do in Dublin!!eleven". Particularly this suggestion that there's no social activities beyond drinking your liver into a shriveled husk

There are loads of social activities for kids and teenagers up to the age of about 14/15 eg youth clubs, swimming clubs etc.

There is FEIC all for ones aged 16 upwards. This is where alot of the drinking starts and a trend is set and continues into adulthood.

yes I've gotten too drunk at times in my life but not to the frequency and extent that many of my peers do. Week in, week out, same routine over and over - drink, go out, get plastered, drink, go out, get plastered, drink, go out, get plastered.

There are also vast numbers who can't imagine their lifes without alcohol. Not that they are alcoholics so to speak, but they are utterly dependent on this nightclub/house party/getting-plastered culture. To them, 6 months without it is incomprehensible.

Not alcoholics eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Not alcoholics eh?

Not necessarily, they may be "addicted" to getting ****ed up, different than being an alcoholic. I know I enjoy getting ****ed up on different things at different times, I'm not addicted to any of them in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

amacachi wrote: »
    I know I enjoy getting ****ed up on different things at different times

Sounds like a strange definition of enjoyment, but each to their own, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

iguana wrote: »
    Y'know Richard I think I'd watch a show about you. It could be all about you not drinking and nefariously receiving and watching tv shows from all around the world. The best would be the episodes where you are getting all excited waiting for a show you love and then it would be a terrible episode and you'd be really upset and angry. It would also be pretty good when you love an episode and then go online to rave about it and everyone else thinks it stinks.:D
    Someone get this man a camera and a podcasting kit, stat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I just cant get over the promo's for the ...."show"

I haven't seen it (obviously as it hasnt been aired yet) ...so will reserve judgement.

but the idea of a TV show.... documenting 6 lads going off the beer .... couldnt they have just brought a camera to an AA meeting for six months.

whats next..... junkies ....goto rehab !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

amacachi wrote: »
    Not necessarily, they may be "addicted" to getting ****ed up, different than being an alcoholic. I know I enjoy getting ****ed up on different things at different times, I'm not addicted to any of them in particular.

I'm not saying it isn't enjoyable.
    Use to go out every weekend myself and get ****ed up. Was the done thing.
    But it is difficult to just stop out of the blue. Fair enough some people can do it with no bother to them. The vast majority of others find it a bit of a struggle. I know I did and I was very surprised by that!
    LOVE my alcohol but I've no problem now not drinking for weeks or until whenever I feel the notion.

This is only because I'm back in college.
    Got challenging college work keeping me going. Have kickboxing and volunteer work plus handy access to a free gym and other sporting activities.

Not alot of folks have easy/free access to things that they would actually enjoy given the chance.
    I'm hoping this show will not just document the lads struggle with getting the alcohol out of their systems/breaking the habit.....

Hope they will show loads of various things folks can do. Possibly free things too as that would help these days!!

Maybe I am asking too much from show >.<
    I'd say this first episode tonight will focus mostly on them and maybe the funny clips of them out drunk etc and their first weekend without a hangover.

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh ....its starting !!!

seriously .... first 5 mins ... 5 lads from Tullow ????

oldest being late 20's ..... most of them look mid or even late 30's

all of them friends !!! ....3 brothers ..... oh dear god .... what are they trying to say ... there's feck all else to do in Tullow except drink !!!

so is this a documentary on the lack of facilities in rural ireland....or about the drinking culture in rural ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

ToniTuddle wrote: »

Not alcoholics eh?

Hmmm... probably didn't word that the best. What I mean is, they don't wake up in the morning and immediately think about alcohol, they don't spend their whole day trying to get a drink, they probably could live without alcohol if they had too. The thing is, they don't have to. It's more a treasured pasttime.

Ah jeez, they probably all are alcoholics. I suppose deep down part of me wants to defend my own generation even though I think our dependence is sad.

Anyway. To watch this yoke and gather a verdict...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

They should take the 20 grand raised for charity and spend it on a crate a day each of whatever drink they like and get locked for 6 months. I'm sure it'd be more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I'd imagine the landlord is well pleased with this camera crew down from Dublin taking some of his best customers away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Black Magic

"These lads look healthy"

What about the obese guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

This programme re-affirms my belief that the small rural town / drink till you pass out lifestyle was never for me. Spend 200+ quid on a 3 day bender and listen to jokers like this talkin complete shíte............. :rolleyes: Im glad the times when I thought that was a good idea are along way behind me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The way they are talking you would think that they were weaning themselves off the smack or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Why'd they head to the pub on their 1st weekend of not drinking? Doesn't really help take their minds off it...
    Don't think i'll be running home to watch it next week..

Advertisement