Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated albums, that aren't by obscure bands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

I think some of the Helmet albums are certainly underrated.

Not the same band since John Stanier left.

But meantime and betty are amazing albums...

Page Hamilton is an excellent musician

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation is pretty underrated for what I've heard from others.

Immortal - Damned in Black.

Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire & Demise.

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

These albums where/are really great, although I was quite dissapointed with 'The Discipline of Fire & Demise' by Emperor though.
    +1 for Nostardamus, ****ing awesome album

I agree, it is an outstanding album. I've been listening to it along with Moonspell's 'Night Eternal' and I haven't got bored of it at all. The slow songs are also very very impressive and very memorable. If they kept on putting out albums like 'British Steel, Defenders of The Faith and Painkiller it would get very boring quickly. I think some people out there where hoping for 'Painkiller Prt II' but thankfully it didn't happen. 'Nostardamus' was/is a fantastic album, much better than the previous album and also completely different from anything that they did in the past.:):D

I also think that these albums may be quite underrated as well:

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose
    Type O Negative - World Coming Down
    The Cult - Sonic Temple
    Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    Amorphis - Am Universum
    Nightwish - Wishmaster
    Thin Lizzy - Thunder And Lightning
    Old Man's Child - Born of The Flickering
    Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
    Tiamat - Wildhoney
    Within Temptation - Mother Earth
    In The Woods... - Omnio
    Rush - Signals
    Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

These albums where/are really great, although I was quite dissapointed with 'The Discipline of Fire & Demise' by Emperor though.

I agree, it is an outstanding album. I've been listening to it along with Moonspell's 'Night Eternal' and I haven't got bored of it at all. The slow songs are also very very impressive and very memorable. If they kept on putting out albums like 'British Steel, Defenders of The Faith and Painkiller it would get very boring quickly. I think some people out there where hoping for 'Painkiller Prt II' but thankfully it didn't happen. 'Nostardamus' was/is a fantastic album, much better than the previous album and also completely different from anything that they did in the past.:):D

I also think that these albums may be quite underrated as well:

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

Type O Negative - World Coming Down
    The Cult - Sonic Temple
    Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
    David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World
    Amorphis - Am Universum
    Nightwish - Wishmaster
    Thin Lizzy - Thunder And Lightning
    Old Man's Child - Born of The Flickering
    Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
    Tiamat - Wildhoney
    Within Temptation - Mother Earth
    In The Woods... - Omnio
    Rush - Signals
    Cradle of Filth - The Principle of Evil

"Black Rose" - F**k yes!!

"Black Rose" - F**k yes!!

Black Rose is indeed a class album.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I've never considered Black Rose underrated, as i rate it so highly!

• Advertisement

I've never considered Black Rose underrated, as i rate it so highly!

It is a truly class album, and Gary Moore does shine with his razor sharp guitar playing and outstanding riffs. 'Chinatwon and Thunder And Lightning' are also great but very underated albums, and I would love to see them both remasterd sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is a truly class album, and Gary Moore does shine with his razor sharp guitar playing and outstanding riffs. 'Chinatwon and Thunder And Lightning' are also great but very underated albums, and I would love to see them both remasterd sometime.

Yeah they would really benefit from a remaster job like Johnny The Fox got when it was reissued in 1996. Sounds almost as good as my original version on vinyl.

There was a reissue of Black Rose and Chinatown in 1990, but I am not sure if they were just straight reissues with the original production or a remaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

It's a class album indeed. There is a lot of amazing and inredible songs on it. I also though that 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' is quite/very underated as well.

Yeah Momentary lapse is phenomenal i would definitely say its underrated too, the one negative thing i ever say about it, is that some of the keyboard/synths does really date it to that mid 80s time period, but other that that its awesome

Also have to say, on the topic of Pink Floyd another ridicously underrated album is Animals, seems to never get mentioned in the same breath as The Wall/WYWH or Dark Side of The Moon, but in my(very humble) opinion i think its their best Album.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah they would really benefit from a remaster job like Johnny The Fox got when it was reissued in 1996. Sounds almost as good as my original version on vinyl.

There was a reissue of Black Rose and Chinatown in 1990, but I am not sure if they were just straight reissues with the original production or a remaster.

Johnny the fox is also another great Lizzy album.:D
    Yeah Momentary lapse is phenomenal i would definitely say its underrated too, the one negative thing i ever say about it, is that some of the keyboard/synths does really date it to that mid 80s time period, but other that that its awesome

Also have to say, on the topic of Pink Floyd another ridicously underrated album is Animals, seems to never get mentioned in the same breath as The Wall/WYWH or Dark Side of The Moon, but in my(very humble) opinion i think its their best Album.

I agree with you there about 'Momentary Lapse' being a phenomenal album. Some of the keyboards at times do sound a bit dated, but it still doesn't make the album any less enjoyable. The guitar solos are also nothing short of outstanding. I also love 'Animals' as well. The final Cut was probably the most dissapointing album, but it has some really outstanding songs on it nevertheless.;) It's a real shame that 'The Division Bell' was their last album, and it also happens to be another of my favourite albums by Pink Floyd.:D

Johnny the fox is also another great Lizzy album.:D

I agree with you there about 'Momentary Lapse' being a phenomenal album. Some of the keyboards at times do sound a bit dated, but it still doesn't make the album any less enjoyable. The guitar solos are also nothing short of outstanding. I also love 'Animals' as well. The final Cut was probably the most dissapointing album, but it has some really outstanding songs on it nevertheless.;) It's a real shame that 'The Division Bell' was their last album, and it also happens to be another of my favourite albums by Pink Floyd.:D

+1 for Johnny the Fox, great album, also Think Renegade is insanely Underrated album.. worth a listen for Snowny Whites awesome guitar playing alone..

Was never much of a fan of The Final Cut either, anyways felt like a Roger Waters solo album with his bad left over ideas from The Wall.. but yeah the Divison Bell is simply outstanding..

• Advertisement

+1 for Johnny the Fox, great album, also Think Renegade is insanely Underrated album.. worth a listen for Snowny Whites awesome guitar playing alone..

Was never much of a fan of The Final Cut either, anyways felt like a Roger Waters solo album with his bad left over ideas from The Wall.. but yeah the Divison Bell is simply outstanding..

'Renegade' is pretty good although it would'nt be my favourite album. I think the the very best songs on it would be 'Angel of Death, Renegade, The Pressure Will Blow, Leave This Town,Hollywood (Down on your Luck), and maybe No One Told Him and It's Getting Dangerous'. I wasn't really that mad about 'Fats' or Mexican Blood' though. I much preferred the harder rocking songs than the slow ones on this album anyway. 'Chinatown' is a little bit better than 'Renagade' and 'Thunder And Lightning' is quite a big improvement over 'Renagade' .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 oweno

blindpilot wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT60tUIdLfQ&feature=fvst

A personal fave from Lullabies To Paralyse
    i agree, its even better then songs for the deaf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
    Morbid Angel - Formulas Fatal to the Flesh
    Megadeth - Youthanasia
    Carcass - Swansong
    Amorphis - Far From the Sun
    The Gathering - Souvenirs
    Tiamat - Judas Christ
    Nazareth - Malice in Wonderland
    Thin Lizzy - Renegade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Antrim Hotels

It may be considered their weakest album but i think St. Anger by Metallica is a great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭RayCon

The day thats in it .... Kiss : Music From The Elder - there I said it ... I love that album :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭RayCon

RayCon wrote: »
    The day thats in it .... Kiss : Music From The Elder - there I said it ... I love that album :D
    `
    +1
    Man thats the most ridiculously underrated album, Kiss doing a prog concept album FTW..;):pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
    Opeth - Watershed
    Rush - Permanent Waves
    Dream Theater - Octavarium
    Amorphis - Skyforger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Opeth - Watershed

Do people think of Watershed as an album that's not great? I never really heard much about what people thought. I can understand if it wasn't popular initially.

It's a new kind of direction for Opeth, but I think it worked out so well. Fantastic album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Do people think of Watershed as an album that's not great? I never really heard much about what people thought. I can understand if it wasn't popular initially.

It's a new kind of direction for Opeth, but I think it worked out so well. Fantastic album.
    I dunno about anyone else but i wasnt too gone on it anyway...maybe i should check it out again... hmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Patricide wrote: »
    I dunno about anyone else but i wasnt too gone on it anyway...maybe i should check it out again... hmm....

Well I can definitely understand that. It's quite different to their others. But I thought it was really good.

Mike is really experiment more and more. Wouldn't be surprised if their next album was something really different again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Queen's first self titled album

The Works by Queen (underrated because most of Queen's material is often judged on their Greatest Hits as opposed to album to album)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Exasperated

In my opinion all of bleeding throughs albums are under-rated. They recently released their 6th full length album yet remain relatively unheard of especially over here anyway. While many bands have a tendency to become ****ter and ****ter over time BT have become much more heavier & have expanded upon their sound with every album. Their new album sold a whopping 3,700 copies in its 1st week in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

New Wave by Against Me! is one of the first ones that come to mind. Yes it's a complete departure from their earlier stuff but still a really strong album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Turtyturd wrote: »
    New Wave by Against Me! is one of the first ones that come to mind. Yes it's a complete departure from their earlier stuff but still a really strong album.

It wasn't under-rated though. It was lauded by the music press. It topped many critics end of year lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but I do know one thing: bands change, as they should, because people change. The members are now middle-aged men with kids and reading glasses, and the days of Anesthesia / Pulling Teeth are not coming back.

The trick is to turn change in to progress, which brings me to the masters of this art: Rush. I know Presto is underrated and gets a lot of stick for its clean production style, but the songs on it are (IMHO) classy. You have the likes of Chain Lightning, Hand Over Fist, Available Light, Scars, and this:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It wasn't under-rated though. It was lauded by the music press. It topped many critics end of year lists.

I was talking more about being under-rated by their fans. Fans sh*t all over the album for no other reason that it attracted new fans to their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I was talking more about being under-rated by their fans. Fans sh*t all over the album for no other reason that it attracted new fans to their music.

Yeah, from what I gather, the majority of old fans totally hated the sound and direction shown on "New Wave". It attracted me to their music! Excellent album. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Was rooting thro some old tapes and vinyls,dont know if these guys would be classed as obscure or not,or the album underrated.
    WARRIOR-Fighting for the Earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭FionnOh

The Band: Guns 'N' Roses
    The Album: The Spaghetti Incident (1993)
    Top Track: Ain't it Fun (The Dead Boys)

Not sure if cover albums count here, but I just put on the Spaghetti and it's actually a cracker.
    For reasons including the band's miserable demise, their untrendiness at the time with the emergence of grunge,
    I believe it's always been a laughing stock of an album. IMO it's good craic as a record and has introduced me to some
    cool bands that influenced G'N'R.

(As i type this, the bloody thing starts skipping; I take it all back!)

Advertisement