Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated albums, that aren't by obscure bands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

kona wrote: »
    Motley Crue- Motley Crue.

Hooligans Holiday, Misunderstood are excellent tunes.

Infact you could throw Generation Swine in there, that album was 10years ahead of itself.
    Nah, not a hope. Only song I think's good on that album is Loveshine. Motley Crue need Vince.

As for underrated albums, Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses is great, modern rock. Ppeople expected an old '80s feel but were let down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbyqqd2Lwp8

Another underrated album is Humanity: Hour I by Scorpions. Just a brilliant hard rock album. Really wierd because it has a very modern feel, but then most of the songs sound like they're from 1986!. One of my favourite Scorpions album. Lyrics are great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0fcNS7Q4M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Nah, not a hope. Only song I think's good on that album is Loveshine. Motley Crue need Vince.

As for underrated albums, Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses is great, modern rock. Ppeople expected an old '80s feel but were let down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbyqqd2Lwp8

Another underrated album is Humanity: Hour I by Scorpions. Just a brilliant hard rock album. Really wierd because it has a very modern feel, but then most of the songs sound like they're from 1986!. One of my favourite Scorpions album. Lyrics are great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0fcNS7Q4M

I only got a chance to listen to this recently. It's hard for me to know what to make of it, but it definitely does demand repeated listenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Hopesfall - A-Types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Riot Act by Pearl Jam

Lullabies to Paralyse - QOTSA

Riot Act by Pearl Jam

Since the 00's everytime a new PJ album comes out, the die hard fans generally say 'oh they're crap now' e.g. when Binaural came out it was 'crap', then Riot Act came out and Binaural was 'good' but Riot Act was 'crap', then Pearl Jam came out and Riot Act was 'good'...Backspacer is out now and Pearl Jam is still well 'crap' from what I last read

I love 'em all though :D

Yeah Lullabies was a treat, i didn't know what to expect with Nick Olivieri having left the band, but that album was damn good!

300th post yay! That was some slog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT60tUIdLfQ&feature=fvst

A personal fave from Lullabies To Paralyse

fluke wrote: »
    Since the 00's everytime a new PJ album comes out, the die hard fans generally say 'oh they're crap now' e.g. when Binaural came out it was 'crap', then Riot Act came out and Binaural was 'good' but Riot Act was 'crap', then Pearl Jam came out and Riot Act was 'crap'...Backspacer is out now and Pearl Jam is still well 'crap' from what I last read

I love 'em all though :D

Yeah Lullabies was a treat, i didn't know what to expect with Nick Olivieri having left the band, but that album was damn good!

300th post yay! That was some slog!
    I think Pearl Jam are great, including Backspacer. It's got a nice vibe about it. Force of Nature blows me away, one of the best songs I've heard in years. I think the artwork is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Chinese Democracy definitely underrated, I think it was well worth the wait. Think Axl sounds just as good as he ever did. Lot of people seem disappointed with it, my OH hates it. Ah, the memories of Slane 92:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Riot Act by Pearl Jam

Ill agree with both, my favourite album from both bands

Ill agree with both, my favourite album from both bands

Ah now lets not go crazy.... :p

Also from your username I presume you're a big fan of Temple of the Dog?

Its not that that album is underrated, if enough people heard it they'd agree its a masterpiece! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Clutch - From Beale Street to Oblivion.

Absolutely fantastic rock album with this song being one of the highlights for me.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk.

It's one of my favourite albums from them and for me has some of their most memorable songs on it. "Higher Ground" and "Pretty Little Ditty" which some of you may know from that Crazy Town song in which they ripped off a riff for use in that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I'd have to go with Korn - Untouchables.
    Has a very dark sound to it and went in a newer direction for Korn, Was one of the first albums I bought too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Il agree with this one. I hated it when it came out because it was different but now its the only Korn album i will listen to!

That_Guy wrote: »

Absolutely fantastic rock album with this song being one of the highlights for me.

It's one of my favourite albums from them and for me has some of their most memorable songs on it. "Higher Ground" and "Pretty Little Ditty" which some of you may know from that Crazy Town song in which they ripped off a riff for use in that song.
    Wow, I've never heard of Clutch before, but I REALLY like that song. Might just have to download some of their albums. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

That_Guy wrote: »

Seeing as you mentioned Clutch, Strange Cousins From The West is another overlooked album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Motorhead, nearly everything except Ace Of Spades and Overkill is massivly underrated.

The last album Motorizer had one or two dodgy tunes but for the most part was great.

The album Rock N Roll is also great, and the song Red Raw from Hammered is an utter beast.

March or Die aswell with Hellraiser and I Ain't No Nice guy. Brilliant songs.

I am warming to Chinese Democracy and I'm not even a GnR fan...perhaps that makes me more objective??

and oh for the hell of it...Libertad by Velvet Revolver is alright. It's not as good as Contraband but it's not dirt either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I also gotta agree that chinese democracy is really underrated. Its not the typical late 80ies/early 90ies hard rock that a lot of people were looking for but cmon it(was) 2009 and it was always going to be different. I liked it though, some great tunes in there like better which is one of my all time G+R favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Most of the people who didn't like Chinese Democracy did so for egregious reasons.

stringbox wrote: »
    Most of the people who didn't like Chinese Democracy did so for egregious reasons.

Ooh big word! :eek: now that you've digested a dictionary would ye mind expanding on your statement. Just curious :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I've never heard anybody say they just don't like it. With a gut feeling, like.
    They always have some elaborate reason like how it was produced or that they don't like Axl or whatever.
    Or saying that his voice isn't as good as it was.
    A guy in his forties doesn't sound as good as a guy in his twenties? :eek: How shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    I am probably going to get an awful going over for this but I just can't help it.

I think Metallicas Load and ReLoad albums are very underrated..I mean it's a BIG departure from the old stuff and I know it left alot of hardcore fans scratching their heads about what the hell they were doing BUT in my opinion if you forget the fact that a "metal" band made these albums and just focus on the music you will actually like it!Ok there is one or two dodgy tracks but still they are worth listening to!And if anything these albums show James Hetfields love for the blues..nothing so wrong about that!:)

As an old school Metallica fan the albums after the Black album are complete rubbish they are not metal and show that Metallica should have stuck to what they were good at and not tried to become some sort of world wide famous rock band. Comparing Loads and the following albums to something like Kings of Leon shows how rubbish the albums are, the song, i think its called king for a day, goes down as the worst Metallica song of all time. WTF were they thinking? They really should have given up the Metallica name and started up a new band and not shamed what was/could have been the greatest metal band of all time. I dont mind other people liking the albums but im afraid if you say you like these albums your a muppet and not a Puppet fan :)

fartmaster wrote: »
    As an old school Metallica fan the albums after the Black album are complete rubbish they are not metal and show that Metallica should have stuck to what they were good at and not tried to become some sort of world wide famous rock band. Comparing Loads and the following albums to something like Kings of Leon shows how rubbish the albums are, the song, i think its called king for a day, goes down as the worst Metallica song of all time. WTF were they thinking? They really should have given up the Metallica name and started up a new band and not shamed what was/could have been the greatest metal band of all time. I dont mind other people liking the albums but im afraid if you say you like these albums your a muppet and not a Puppet fan :)

With all due respect you slam their albums after the Black Album but can't name a single tune off either of the Loads (as you call 'em). King Of The Day....

You say you don't mind other people liking these albums yet in the same sentence call the same people muppets...

And who the **** compares Metallica to Kings Of Leon???

With all due respect you slam their albums after the Black Album but can't name a single tune off either of the Loads (as you call 'em). King Of The Day....

You say you don't mind other people liking these albums yet in the same sentence call the same people muppets...

And who the **** compares Metallica to Kings Of Leon???

With no due respect there is a reason as to why I cant name a song of them albums....because they are rubbish plain and simple. And I didnt compare Metallica to Kings of Leaon, I compared for 'what passes for Metallica under them rubbish albums they made' to Kings of Leon. The albums Load to St. Anger are not Metallica even if the did make them!!! No true Metallica fan likes these albums and thats the truth.

With no due respect there is a reason as to why I cant name a song of them albums....because they are rubbish plain and simple. And I didnt compare Metallica to Kings of Leaon, I compared for 'what passes for Metallica under them rubbish albums they made' to Kings of Leon. The albums Load to St. Anger are not Metallica even if the did make them!!! No true Metallica fan likes these albums and thats the truth.

My apologies to the rest of the crew on this appreciation thread. I've overfed the troll.

My apologies to the rest of the crew on this appreciation thread. I've overfed the troll.

no need to apologise mate if you like poor rock n roll blues albums thats your choice, i prefer Heavy/thrash myself with breakneck solos and awesome drumming but thats just me :) back under the bridge u go please and bring your fellow trolls with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

No true Metallica fan likes these albums and thats the truth.

Who are you to decide what makes a true fan? Also, you still havn't explained your Kings Of Leon comment.

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Who are you to decide what makes a true fan? Also, you still havn't explained your Kings Of Leon comment.

Metallica are/were a Heavy/Thrash metal band, the rock albums they made FLOPPED and all their true fans dismissed them as crap albums, which they are, the only people who like them would be into bands possibly like Kings of Leon of which im not a fan.

When I say true fans I mean fans of Heavy/Thrash metal, fans of the original Metallica and they music they made that made them famous, the loads and St Anger albums are not heavy or thrash

They sold out man!!!!

*yawns*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Metallica are/were a Heavy/Thrash metal band, the rock albums they made FLOPPED and all their true fans dismissed them as crap albums, which they are, the only people who like them would be into bands possibly like Kings of Leon of which im not a fan.

When I say true fans I mean fans of Heavy/Thrash metal, fans of the original Metallica and they music they made that made them famous, the loads and St Anger albums are not heavy or thrash

It's completely possible to like different kinds of music and therefore like the early Metallica albums as well as the Load-St.Anger period. Also, whether you like it or not, it can't be argued that St.Anger isn't a heavy album. Stop stating your own opinions as if they are facts.

Advertisement