Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated albums, that aren't by obscure bands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

They sold out man!!!!

*yawns*

no they didnt sell out they fooked up, became old, had kids, created crap music and threw away their title as the greatest Metal band of all time ever, no matter who came after them :(

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    It's completely possible to like different kinds of music and therefore like the early Metallica albums as well as the Load-St.Anger period. Also, whether you like it or not, it can't be argued that St.Anger isn't a heavy album. Stop stating your own opinions as if they are facts.

look here FFS I dont care if you like different types of music, if you like the load - St anger albums then fair play and more power to you. I dont like them, infact I hate them and I hate Metallica for making them. They completely lost their way which is backed up by the fact they released Death Magnetic to try and appease their true loyal fans. If you like the load albums then thats ok, but those albums go against everything thats was Metallica even the lyrics are pants, its like they took to much drugs and listened to too many county and western Garth Brooks albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To get the thread somewhat back on track.

Symbol Of Salvation by Armored Saint is a very underrated album. Came out in '91 to very little fanfare and practically no airplay.

Their March Of The Saint album is an early 80's slice of classic heavy metal, and just as underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Bison BC - Quiet Earth.

Pretty obscure, but very excellent.

Seriously, even Garage Days re-visited is ten times better than the Load albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

<Thread in the rock and metal forum>

<Thread degenerates into Metallica discussion>

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

<Thread in the rock and metal forum>

<Thread degenerates into Metallica discussion>

:(
    Thank you, lets try to keep this away from the age old Metallica discussion...it always ends up nowhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Patricide wrote: »
    Thank you, lets try to keep this away from the age old Metallica discussion...it always ends up nowhere.
    Yup, pretty much this.

One album that I found to be kinda underrated was Stop at Nothing by Dying Fetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

fartmaster wrote: »
    Seriously, even Garage Days re-visited is ten times better than the Load albums.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Obvious troll is obvious.

Load and reload, right albums wrong time.

great tunes: outlaw torn, bleeding me, hero of the day, fuel, fixxer.

can i add an underrated song? I disappear. great rock tune.

oh and anyone who used the phrase "true <insert band here> fan" in their argument has zero credability in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

buck65 wrote: »
    Waters slammed this when it came out , said it was laughable, therefore alot of critics bowed down to the prick and agreed without it getting an unbiased review. It is a decent record, some good songs, a bit of filler but a lot of Floyds later albums were like that.
    Certainly not laughable.

I love that album. Not their best but not bad either.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Load and reload, right albums wrong time.

great tunes: outlaw torn, bleeding me, hero of the day, fuel, fixxer.

can i add an underrated song? I disappear. great rock tune.

oh and anyone who used the phrase "true <insert band here> fan" in their argument has zero credability in my opinion.

When I say true i do mean I listened to Metallica for the music that they were all about and not the garbage they made after they became successful, truth hurts. How can you say they were the right albums at the wrong time? They should have never produced them at all as they had nothing about them that was Metallica.

As for underrated albums, well, I think loads of Death metal went unnoticed, much of what comes out today is a spin off of bands who when death metal first came out had no real following but today many bands take credit for it and label it grindcore or balck metal or some other funky name. Entombed's - Left Hand Path album was a monstering pioneering Death metal album

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just to keep the John Bush theme from my earlier post going.

Anthrax - The Sound Of White Noise

One of the best metal albums to be released in a long time when it came out in 1993.

Had a brilliant lead single in Only , and the album as a whole was catchy, heavy, aggressive, and laced with John Bush's melodic voice.

Another excellent and underrated Anthrax album is We've Come For You All.

Could a mod look at taking the Metallica stuff from this thread and putting it into one of the many dedicated Metallica that this forum has? Would be a shame if a good thread like this turns into a Metallica pissing contest.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would be a shame if a good thread like this turns into a Metallica pissing contest.

LOL

fartmaster wrote: »
    They should have never produced them at all as they had nothing about them that was Metallica.

other than the fact the the four individuals who produced them are in a band called metallica. :rolleyes:

you've been asked before, stop presenting your opinion as fact. If you are in fact a grown adult male i feel sorry for you, as your posts come off as childish and/or trollish. your opinion are noted, but thats all they are.

I think st anger was a musical abortion. but i dont get a migrane if someone says they like it. thats their problem

anyway back on topic. i think anthrax's vol 8 is more underrated that white noise or come for you all.....excellent album that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Power Metal! An album by Pantera released in 1988. The album before Cowboys from Hell. First Pantera album with Phil Anselmo.

Favourite track from the album.

other than the fact the the four individuals who produced them are in a band called metallica. :rolleyes:

you've been asked before, stop presenting your opinion as fact. If you are in fact a grown adult male i feel sorry for you, as your posts come off as childish and/or trollish. your opinion are noted, but thats all they are.

I think st anger was a musical abortion. but i dont get a migrane if someone says they like it. thats their problem

anyway back on topic. i think anthrax's vol 8 is more underrated that white noise or come for you all.....excellent album that.

Yes the four individuals that make up Metallica did produce them albums, you are quite the bright spark arent you! I dont really care if you think me a troll mate, what does thats mean in your little internet world anyway?? Most mature adults have a sense of humour its a shame you havent developed one yet. As for Anthrax well, and I dont care is I get grilled for this but you clealry havent developed any music taste along with the lack of a sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭fluke

Zerroth wrote: »
    Power Metal! An album by Pantera released in 1988. The album before Cowboys from Hell. First Pantera album with Phil Anselmo.

Favourite track from the album.

Interesting stuff Zerroth, never heard this stuff before, but I'm only a casual Pantera fan. They seem to have taken the logo for the album title from the cover of AC/DC's Powerage

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

itt: people argue too much about Metallica, and disregard others opinions.

I mean jeez, really. This is all opinion.

Apologies to others reading this thread. to remain on topic please read everything after the asterixes.

now then mr "master" let me address your concerns:

I do indeed have a sense of humour, quite a good one in fact. you'll have to forgive me but you were putting down metallicas output post justice (i'm assuming you're lumping the black album in there, every true fan does) so strongly that i thought you were serious, were you actually joking? also my little quip earlier about them producing load and reload was also partly in jest. sorry you didnt get it.

you may have missed the lengthy death magnetic discussion thread from last year, some of its a pissing contest, some of it is worth a read. some interesting arguments lie within, but i'll say it again: passing off opinion as fact doesnt get you anywhere. you dont like anything they've done after justice, fair enough, but that doesnt mean everyone does, and to claim that no true fan does is laughable. its something a teenager says, and if you are fair enough. I cant be pissed off at you as i was the same when i was a teen, if it wasnt heavy it was ****e. most people leave this behind with puberty though. load and reload are not brilliant its true, but they are underrated. how could anything that followed the black album not be? the discussion as to why they were right album/wrong time is for another thread, but take my advice, let it go mate, they're only a band, and its only music. they'll be dead someday. they're not gods, but human and they can write whatever music they like (isnt that what people loved about them anyway, the **** you attitude?)

re: anthrax. i'm assuming you think post belladonna thrax is ****e. fair enough many think that. they're not though. many fine albums with bush at the mic, and i'm glad he's back.

to sum up, chill out dude, you'll give yourself a brain hemmorage "defending" bands and being a "true" fan, its not big, and its not clever....you sound like the guys i used to snigger at in fibbers and brux years ago: grrrrrrrr anything thats not METALLLLLLL! is ****e. :rolleyes:

anyway back on topic AGAIN.

underrated album: joe satriani: joe satriani, joe doing what he does best, with a bunch of great musicians all in a room, a lovely organic sounding album with great tunes...produced by glyn johns.

• Advertisement

Thank you good sir. Pretty much summarized what i would have typed. I defiantly notice it every time you go to fibbers and bruxelles. If theirs one thing i cant stand its the elitist metal attitude. Thats not TRUE metal, or you cant be a metal head if you listen to pop music etc. it just aggravates me.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I think The Razors Edge by ACDC is a ridiculously underrated album its got some of their best songs on it but no one seems to really rate it

It's not a great album imo, but Razors Edge, Money Talkes and Thunderstruck are incredible especially on AC/DC Live. The rest of the album is just rather forgettable and bland.

my other choice would be The Divison Bell by Pink Floyd, its a awesome album but because Roger Waters didnt write it, people dont give it the credit it deserved imo

It's a class album indeed. There is a lot of amazing and inredible songs on it. I also though that 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' is quite/very underated as well.
    Nah, not a hope. Only song I think's good on that album is Loveshine. Motley Crue need Vince.

As for underrated albums, Chinese Democracy by Guns N' Roses is great, modern rock. Ppeople expected an old '80s feel but were let down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbyqqd2Lwp8

Another underrated album is Humanity: Hour I by Scorpions. Just a brilliant hard rock album. Really wierd because it has a very modern feel, but then most of the songs sound like they're from 1986!. One of my favourite Scorpions album. Lyrics are great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0fcNS7Q4M

I heard 'Chinese Democracy' two years ago and I thought it was a truly terrible album. It is definitely one of the worst albums I've heard in a long time.:( As for 'Humanity: Hour I' by Scorpions There was some great songs on it, but overall it was ruined by a horrible nu metal downtuned guitar sound. I was hoping that they would use that classic 80's lead guitar sound that made them famous in the first place.

Patricide wrote: »
    Thank you good sir. Pretty much summarized what i would have typed. I defiantly notice it every time you go to fibbers and bruxelles. If theirs one thing i cant stand its the elitist metal attitude. Thats not TRUE metal, or you cant be a metal head if you listen to pop music etc. it just aggravates me.

you're in a band with cu? cool! tell him g money said hello!

you're in a band with cu? cool! tell him g money said hello!
    Yeah, im in college with him aswell at the moment. Il let him know dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Deep Purple's Fireball is very underrated, I think it suffers because it came between two great albums, In Rock and Machine Head.
    The title track, Demon's Eye, The Mule and No One Came are cracking songs. I know Anyone's Daughter is silly but there is some nice guitar and piano playing in it. Also these sessions produced Strange Kind of Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation is pretty underrated for what I've heard from others.

Bolt Thrower - Pretty much anything by these guys.

Immortal - Damned in Black.

Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire & Demise.

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Judas Priest - Ram it Down

Testament - The Ritual

Black Label Society - Sonic Brew

Black Label Society - Stronger Than Death

Thats all I can really think of at the moment, well bands that wouldn't be "Obscure" really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Morbid Angel - Gateways to Annihilation is pretty underrated for what I've heard from others.

Bolt Thrower - Pretty much anything by these guys.

Immortal - Damned in Black.

Emperor - Prometheus - The Discipline of Fire & Demise.

Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Judas Priest - Ram it Down

Testament - The Ritual

Black Label Society - Stronger Than Death

Thats all I can really think of at the moment, well bands that wouldn't be "Obscure" really.

+1 for Nostardamus, ****ing awesome album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Just listened to Devil Without a Cause by Kid Rock and it's really good. I'm not sure if it's underrated or not, but it's well worth a listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pablo Honey. It's pretty normal-sounding, but I think it's a really good album.

that said, Radiohead improved a lot after this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Pyr0 wrote: »

Definitely. Prefer that over any other BLS stuff. It's like before Zakk started all that "Grrr I'm a badass" bullsh*t. Great hard rock album.

Advertisement