Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboarding in Dublin Mountains 7/1/10

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I parked at the bottom of the hell fire club forest, and walked up stocking lane, I have a rear wheel drive car so i did not want to chance it going to far I prob could have made it or would 100% made it if I had put on my snow chains. meet a few 4x4 and one guy spinning his front wheels, at the top.
    on the way back a guy in a 4x4 tied a rope to the back of his jeep and pulled me down part of the road that was a bit cleared.

all in all a good fun filled 5-6 hours up there

Coyote

the long clime ahead :)
    07012010330.jpg

this photo out of order but I liked it so much I put it near the top, that's the photo of my first run and the clime backup
    07012010345.jpg
    this was the part of the road I did not want to try to get down later in my rear wheel drive car
    07012010331.jpg
    07012010334.jpg

just after the road closed sign they have cleared it a bit tho
    07012010335.jpg

07012010342.jpg

the road ahead no one seems to have gone as far along the road as i did
    07012010340.jpg

I left a trail of footprint from my snowboarding boots
    07012010348.jpg

It's a long hike backup after a run
    07012010347.jpg

this is a good spot for snowboarding as it's steep and has good snow
    07012010344.jpg

that nasty corner again
    07012010349.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Been doing a bit of boarding myself up in donegal for the past few days.
    Hiking up them hills really makes you appreciate the uplift at the ski resorts. Headin to avoriaz on sat week. Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Was up in Glencree last Feb doing the same. The problem though was walking up each time was just too much effort!

Was looking at heading up to Stocking Lane this Saturday ourselves. What do you think of this location off Stocking Lane for boarding...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101958619426102757949.00047c7fbbd3e1c95002e&ll=53.219204,-6.317031&spn=0.00582,0.019205&z=16

it would allow a designated driver taking turns in a 4x4 to pick us up at the bottom for each run..solves that issue! All depends when those roads are made more accessible..judging by your pics thats not happening it but we do have 4x4!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

yea, I would have killed for a lift/winch up the hill, 30sec fun for loads of work getting backup

lol thats the run I was doing today.
    truth I don't think you have a chance of getting a 4x4 near that road
    the road before that one is as far as they have even tried to clear and I saw a few people in 4x4 try to go farther and best anyone got was 20 feet before having to go back.
    it's a great run but a killer hike back up

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Ha yeah was guessing that from the pics. We had thought it was a good place too from last time and were hoping to give it a run. Might have to wait until the roads get cleared a bit more to get that far so..will have to find somewhere lower down this weekend until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

Went up to Viewpoint with a sled there was a good 20 people up there and it was amazing! It's a brilliant place for sleds!:D
    There were people there with black bins cut in half and flying down on them and some people made ramps.
    It was pretty dangerous though and some kid fractured his wrist after a big collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

well done for getting out there,

if some one could organise a tractor and trailer to do a ferry run, there could be a great day there

gally74 wrote: »
    well done for getting out there,

if some one could organise a tractor and trailer to do a ferry run, there could be a great day there

sounds like a great idea till I remembered that last year Dublin CC lost a tractor up there last year and the guys in it had to be rescued by a even bigger tractor and they left the one stuck up there not sure for how long.

watched the first one go up and then 2 hours later a huge tractor (4 wheels on the back) went up and picked up the guys

Viewpoint is cool but some people were not being very smart, I only watched on the way down as it's got too much ice to ride a board and have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Looks great up there but I have to say it's a really stupid idea. Snowboarding is a high-risk sport. You don't know what's under that snow that could potentially knock you off your board and cause serious injuries.

How would you expect an ambulance to get to you?

eth0_ wrote: »
    Looks great up there but I have to say it's a really stupid idea. Snowboarding is a high-risk sport. You don't know what's under that snow that could potentially knock you off your board and cause serious injuries.

How would you expect an ambulance to get to you?

well it's the heather beds so what's under me is heather.
    I know that spot well having ridden there before and checked it out before xmass and on new year eve. and I decided not to ride it then.
    the snows over 3 feet deep and every thing is well covered.
    it's about 400m from a cleared road so it's not like it's miles from help if it was really needed.
    and I have pulled all the ligament in my foot when in Italy and had to ride out from where I was. hurt like hell but you do what you have to.
    I had given detailed info on where I would be, the gps for the run, (I only ride where I know the land) and I made check in calls every hour.

in my opinion it's less dangers than walking around Dublin on black ice
    or the people who speed because they are in 4x4, but that's life we make the choices that we want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well it sounds like you've done your homework and taken precautions, but you can guarantee some eejits are going to end up needing to be air-lifted off a mountain somewhere in Ireland after decided to go skiing/boarding on the spur of the moment :-/

Well it sounds like you've done your homework and taken precautions, but you can guarantee some eejits are going to end up needing to be air-lifted off a mountain somewhere in Ireland after decided to go skiing/boarding on the spur of the moment :-/

your right, I had snow chains, shovels, rope, sleeping bag, change of clothing, food and water. I was on my way up yesterday and the snow on the weather charts was heaver than I liked so I turned around and went home.

your right some eejits will end up needing to be air-lifted but in the same way you have loads of them driving 4x4 or other stuff way to fast who will prob kill someone else who was just walking, and nothing anyone can say will stop people doing stupid stuff like driving quads on a lake!!! or other stuff as they are the type of people who think they know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

there are alot more plebs on the roads to worry about, rather than bitchin about people sliding down a hill:rolleyes:

Advertisement