Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Shuzanne I agree with Mac and Minnicork - if you're doing this to please somebody else and feeling guilty, it's going to be very hard. Think about why you want to do this for yourself. I'm turning 35 Monday week. I'm lucky cos I don't look my age but I knew if I kept smoking I would, begin to age very quickly soon. I began to notice the lines that heavy smokers have around their mouths and got scared that I might get them prematurely. Totally vain, I know, but I just can't believe I'm 35 to begin with. I still feel like I'm in my 20s so I don't want to look older before my time.

Hi Pat Wicklow. I started doing the Couch to 5k program after reading about it here on this thread (thanks again Mac!). I too am obsessed! On the nights I don't run, I feel like I'm missing something. I'm on Week 4 now. I'm almost two months off the cigarettes. I went to my first weight watchers meeting last night. It's like giving up smoking has made me respect myself in a multitude of ways. By April I will be running 5k and hopefully down half a stone or more.

What a turn around that would be in just three months......

Believe me it's all worth it. I don't talk to people about all of this in my 'real' life so this thread and other threads have been a great help...I'm keeping a log of my C25k program on the fitness thread and there have been a few people following it and hoping to give it a go as well.

Anyway good luck to both of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

minnicork wrote: »
    Macro enjoy runamuck day - sounds like great craic:D.
    Shazanne and Patwicklow, I think everyone would agree we were all very nervous about quitting and I definietly had tried and failed before so don't let that put you off!!!
    My partner is still smoking so if I'm surviving anybody can do it.
    The 2 things that have helped me hugely is exercise (ask the others - its completely addictive :confused:) and also just go hour by hour - don't start thinking hmmmmmmmmm I'm ok now but what about hols/ nights out etc.
    Shazanne - I didn't tell too many people - just quietly focused on myself, as M said this has to be about you not anybody else.)

Good luck :D

Thanks for your message. I found it the most understanding and helpful of all. Fiar play to you if you partner is still smoking. I spend alot of time with my mother ( a smoker) since my Dad died suddenly last June. I know she really loves and looks forward to our chats, cuppa and smoke. That will be a big obstacle for me, but you have given me hope there.
    I also think about upcoming events like a wedding, holidays etc but I think that may be easier for me as I dont drink so should be able to stay in control. What worries me most is not being able to keep up the great motivation that is there in the beginning but begins to wane the harder it gets - any tips on that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

dolliemix wrote: »
    Shuzanne I agree with Mac and Minnicork - if you're doing this to please somebody else and feeling guilty, it's going to be very hard.

Believe me it's all worth it. I don't talk to people about all of this in my 'real' life so this thread and other threads have been a great help...

Totally aggree with all above Dolliemix!!

People around you, whether your partner, mother or work colleague will encourage you at the beginning sure, but after a couple of days or weeks they will quickly loose interest. They dont really pass much heed of the fact that youve given up, particularly those who dont and never have smoked.

I dont really talk to any "real" people about smoking as generally they dont care! For example I told my partner the other day "oh ive been off smokes a month now" and he didnt say a bloody thing back. Theres my case and point! Before i quit he nagged me every day to quit and now i have quit he has forgotten i ever did smoke!! lol

Basically the only person you are giving up for is YOU! You wont get feck all encouragement or pats on the back from others, but you CAN feel proud of YOURSELF in the knowledge that you overcame the addiction.

And these forums help soooo much, they really do. Everyone here is in the same boat and you dont want to have to come on and admit you have failed to everyone in here working so hard. But you know if you do, people will just tell you to forget about it and get back on the wagon. It really is great.

Well done everyone so far, and if you are just thinking about quitting, it is so worth it! Hard at times but so worth it - the things in life worth acheiving usually are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

agree 100% with this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minnicork

Shazanne wrote: »
    Thanks for your message. I found it the most understanding and helpful of all. Fiar play to you if you partner is still smoking. I spend alot of time with my mother ( a smoker) since my Dad died suddenly last June. I know she really loves and looks forward to our chats, cuppa and smoke. That will be a big obstacle for me, but you have given me hope there.
    I also think about upcoming events like a wedding, holidays etc but I think that may be easier for me as I dont drink so should be able to stay in control. What worries me most is not being able to keep up the great motivation that is there in the beginning but begins to wane the harder it gets - any tips on that?
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Shazanne. Maybe you need to go a bit easy on yourself. Just an idea but I actually started running (having never done it in my life) 3 months before I quit and I was up to running 5k a few times a week. Never, ever believed I could have run 1km not to mind 5km - esp while still smoking. I think the running will get you in the right head space to quit. Be sure and start really slowly i.e. mainly walking at first and before you know it you'll be an addict :D. If you look up quitting and exercise there seems to be scientific evidence that it works on the part of the brain that cravings affect.

• Advertisement

minnicork wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Shazanne. Maybe you need to go a bit easy on yourself. Just an idea but I actually started running (having never done it in my life) 3 months before I quit and I was up to running 5k a few times a week. Never, ever believed I could have run 1km not to mind 5km - esp while still smoking. I think the running will get you in the right head space to quit. Be sure and start really slowly i.e. mainly walking at first and before you know it you'll be an addict :D. If you look up quitting and exercise there seems to be scientific evidence that it works on the part of the brain that cravings affect.

Thank you for that message. I will take you advice and start by doing some exercise and also set a Quit Date. I hope you're a regular on here as I will certainly need your support in a few weeks time! Thanks again.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Totally forgot to post yesterday ... 2 month anniversary of quitting :)

Still going strong. Getting very few cravings now - and they're not even real cravings - more fond memories of an old friend. But that fondness reminds me that I can't afford even one slip up. It would be too easy to rekindle that friendship.

Ran my first 5K on Saturday - start to finish - 30 mins 26 seconds. Very happy to actually finish a 5K. That would've been impossible 2 months ago. Time to step it up to 10K :)

Well done on the two month mark and also the 5K! I dont know if I will ever get to 5K but still jogging also and loving it!

I am almost forgetting about when I quit, how long ive been off them etc and just looked at calender to check and Ive been off them 6 weeks! Crazy, time has flew!! Rarely any cravings either, sometimes it creeps in for maybe a second and goes again.

Im enjoying my life as a non smoker and now no longer even feel like I need this forum anymore. It has been great though. Might stick with it to be a support to others quitting :)

Never thought I would get to that point!!

yungwan wrote: »
    Well done on the two month mark and also the 5K! I dont know if I will ever get to 5K but still jogging also and loving it!

I am almost forgetting about when I quit, how long ive been off them etc and just looked at calender to check and Ive been off them 6 weeks! Crazy, time has flew!! Rarely any cravings either, sometimes it creeps in for maybe a second and goes again.

Im enjoying my life as a non smoker and now no longer even feel like I need this forum anymore. It has been great though. Might stick with it to be a support to others quitting :)

Never thought I would get to that point!!

Well done to you! I can sense how proud you are - and you deserve to be! I am coming nearer to quitting and I hope I'll be posting messages like yours before too long:rolleyes:

Congrats macros. I'm even more impressed that you did the 5k because like you I'm not thinking too much about smoking and more focussed on achieving that 5k. I'm half through the C25k at the moment on Week 5 and I'll be running for the first time on Thursday for eight minutes! :)

I almost forgot to celebrate my 2 month milestone of not smoking today until I saw this thread. So thanks again MAcros. I also joined Weight Watchers last week and nearly fell of the scales when the lady told me I'd lost 5 pounds tonight!!!

Well done again to everyone who has been updating on this thread. It's like people's lives are literally changing in a short space of time for the better.

Look forward to hearing how you get on Shuzanne. Good luck :)

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm half through the C25k at the moment on Week 5 and I'll be running for the first time on Thursday for eight minutes! :)

You want the kicker? Saturday was supposed to be Exercise 3 of week 6! I'm 2 weeks ahead of schedule.

Ex.3 of week 5 is run for 20 mins - I did 15, walked for 1 and then did the last 5. But at the end of week 6 I ran 5k. Now that's progress :)

Great to hear! Well done!

Hi Macros

Not sure if you've come across this program yet or even interested! But I'm sure you'll be looking for something new to do now that you're doing so well :)

Been looking for something like that - thanks :)

I'm still a recovering smoker :)

Been getting strong cravings for the last few days. Nothing I can't control but they've been strong. One evening I even caught myself wondering if just having one would be such a bad thing. Then I punched myself in the face for being an idiot. :D

OK - no punching but I did actually think about "just one - sure it can't hurt". Wow. After 2 months! Just when you think it's safe to go back in the water .... and anyone who recognises that reference is an old fart like me :D

Anyway lesson learnt. I am not a non-smoker. I am a smoker who is not smoking by choice. Maybe in another 2 months I'll be a non-smoker ... or 6 months ... or 2 years. But right now? I'm a recovering smoker. And it's still one day at a time.

Does that sound depressing? Well there's a good part too. I'm still running. Proper little Forrest Gump me. Ran another 5K on Sunday. Took me 28:53. Walked for .5k then ran the remaining 1k home. Still seeing improvements which is great. I never thought I'd get this whole running lark. But it is very enjoyable. Great stress reliever as well. I've started pushing myself towards the 10k mark now :)

I read somewhere that it gets dangerous again around the 9-12 week mark.

It's interesting because at least you are aware that you need to be extra strong again. Nothing can be as hard as the first few weeks so stay strong. You know yourself they're not worth it.

I met somebody last week at a work thing. I hadn't seen her in four of five years. The two of us used to smoke like troopers. And that was actually part of our bond. Anyway she asked me was I still smoking. For a second I was going to explain that I was off them two months and I was doing well. But then I thought, thats just showing the 'fear' as such, because a part of me doesn't really trust myself.

But I didn't go into my long-winded story. I just confidently answered 'No'. Didn't explain when I gave up.

It felt great!

I reckon if you talk like you're a non-smoker, you'll soon believe it. It you have any kind of doubt in your head, maybe you're more likely to give in???

I don't know. Good luck anyway. I hope the cravings subside for you soon. You're doing really well! :)

Never read that about 9-12 weeks but it's interesting. Suggestion can be very powerful. It's like in my job (IT Support) going up to a user and asking "is the system running slowly?" - answer would be along the lines of "well I didn't notice but now that you mention it ...". But in this case it's an observation about the last few days without suggestion - unless I read it, forgot it, and filed it away subconsciously. That's very possible.

No cravings today at all now that I think of it. Actually it might be the first day I didn't even consider cigarettes. I was heading out for a job at lunchtime and stopped for a chat with an old smoking buddy before starting the jog and it was just a chat - I hardly noticed the cigarette in his hand. Nice 4k run I went on after the chat too.

I've kicked the chewing gum habit too - none today :D

Went to the running club fitness training tonight. Holy crap. Started off with two laps of a gaelic football pitch. Then another laps of sprints and stretches. That was the warm up! It was 1 complete hour of fitness training. I don't think I've ever been so exhausted. But it was good - I did it all. It would have been unheard of two months ago to even jog 1 lap of the pitch - and now two laps + sprints is a warmup.

I know what you mean about self-belief. I believe I'm a non-smoker - but I also know that that is a little self-delusion. It would just take one smoke to go from being a non-smoker to being a 40-a-day man again. Vigilance is the key for me. I can't afford to slip - not once. But I think that people can be very supportive if they know how recently you quit. I only recently joined the running club and the support from people when they know I'm off the sticks for 2 months is great. And some of them still smoke. Others are recovering smokers. And they are the most supportive. Non-smokers (never smoked) don't have a clue and while they say "that's great well done" it's only half-hearted as they will never know what it's like to quit.

Smokers and quitters do know - their support is important. That's why this forum is important. That's why I started this thread over two months ago. It's a support group in effect. This thread has been a great help to me. It's been a confession of the ups and downs. Without this thread I may well have bought a second box on the 8th Jan (read up - it's there in the thread). The confessional aspect has really helped. And seeing how many people have read this confession and follow it is actually quite daunting. I'm nearly afraid to start smoking again so I don't let people down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Great to see you still doing so well Mac :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Well done mac I was leaving Dublin tonight and I noticed all the people outside the pubs smoking,weather getting a bit better and I thought to myself God I was there.
    But to stand a chance of giving them up you need support and people following your journey will get support from your journey.

Thanks for the support guys. It's actually needed right now. The cravings are still here and getting stronger. It has taken some serious willpower to not try "just one" to get me over the hump. I was in the pub on Saturday watching the rugby and a women I was watching it with gave me a great analysis of why they've suddenly reappeared.

Imagine a spiral with one line coming out from the centre:

107762.png

The red line is time, the spiral is your addiction, the centre is when you quit. Everytime the spiral crosses the line is a period of craving. Near the centre (just after you quit) the lines cross regularly - cravings are thick and fast. But as time moves on the cravings are less frequent as the spiral is larger. So they become days apart, then weeks, then months.

It might be crap but I thought it was a great explanation. And it certainly explains why after a few weeks with no cravings I'm suddenly gumming for a smoke again.

But I'm still a non-smoking smoker who's now counting in months not days or weeks :)

Last Saturday I had my first ... "race". It was a 5K mud/ditch/obstacle course. It was a great fun race. It's kind of hard to explain what it's like so here's some pics. There's a pic of me in there somewhere but I ain't telling which one :p

• Advertisement

That Spiral is deadly. And very positive, I think, as well. I find if I'm prepared it's easier. If I know 'the pain' isn't going to last as such, it makes it easier to just say 'no'.

I'm also pretty amazed how you got that image together! Lol! If someone in a pub on Saturday night described that to me there's no way in hell I'd be able to get it up on the computer!! :D

Well done on the 5k run. I had read about that Muck Race. You're doing really well if you can do the 5k with some obstacles in between. I find it hard to even run up and down a kerb when I'm doing my runs at the moment :o

To Terenc

I also noticed the smokers sitting outside the pubs this weekend. Looking really relaxed and enjoying their smokes. I have to say I wasn't thinking 'that used to be me' but rather ' I'm so jealous I can't do that anymore'. I absolutely love sitting outside in the evening having a drink and smoking! But I guess like all the other smoking habits I had, I'll get used to that as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Loving the spiral - definitely makes sense...

As regards to seeing people smoking outside pubs I'm almost wishing for Winter, it's a lot easier to watch them freezing their butts off :D

dubsgirl wrote: »
    As regards to seeing people smoking outside pubs I'm almost wishing for Winter, it's a lot easier to watch them freezing their butts off :D

Haha I know what ya mean!! I will miss sunny days in beer gardens with beer in one hand, smokes in the other!! But frig it im still feeling good and although I do sometimes miss them and still get cravings, with every week that goes by I think about smoking less.

myself and my mam were speaking about it at the weekend (she quit about 8 years ago and never looked back), and she said she still gets the odd twinge for one. And we agreed that it would be lovely if it was possible to have one sneaky fag and then quit again, but we know it just wouldnt be worth it. And if we have stayed off them this long, what would be the point sickening ourselves with one anyway??!!

I have realised I will never stop missing them but I know I can continue to do it. Looked up my stats today for the first time in ages (I remember when I quit first I used to check them every day!!) and I have been off the "cancer sticks" 58 days and counting... and I saved a grand total of €243.60. I can really notice the savings every fortnight. Its great. I will always have that extra €50 or whatever in my pocket and granted even though most of the time it goes on bills ( :D) its nice to know I have it!!

Hey Mac

Almost at the Three Month mark. Can you believe it. It feels like a lifetime ago that I had a cigarette.

I did my first 5k race on Saturday. I'll be moving on to this program so I complete the Women's Marathon in June without any walking.

I can't believe how quickly I've turned my life around health wise. I haven't seen a lot of my friends since Christmas. All of this was impulsive. I hadn't planned on giving up smoking. Just decided on New Year's Day that I'd had enough. I didn't really believe I'd be able to do it. I feel like a different person to the person I was back then.

Anyway just dropping in to congratulate you. How is the running going?

And to all the other posters how are you getting on?

Hi dollie

Yeah - 3 months on Thursday. Amazing. I know I had a hiatus on the 8th Jan but I've accepted that as part of my quitting rather than a failure. It really confirmed to me that I don't want to smoke anymore.

Running going great. Did Runamuck earlier in the month (the 5k version) and did my first duathlon yesterday in the Phoenix Park. Completed it in 48:49 which I was very happy with - my target was 50 mins. Finished in 71st place out of 78 - so there were 7 who were even worse than me :D

I'm loosely following a 10k program too. Still running 3 times a week but fitting in some cycling now too. Connemara is only 6 weeks away :eek: so cycling is important. I bought a good bike last week and I need to get a decent amount of miles up on it before that event.

But still I have the Great Ireland Run first - 18th April will be my first 10k. That's coming up fast so pushing myself running too. Ran 7.3k in 44 mins last week which is good. It's under the 1hr 10k mark which I've set myself as a target. Thinking of entering the Sportsmans duathlon in Dundalk on the 25th April too - only problem is the 8:30 registration - it's a long way to get there for that time. Might do it for the extra race practice tho.

I'm think I'm going to go to a personal trainer during the summer. After the duathlon yesterday I'm really feeling how close Gael Force is. A good trainer can design a good plan to accomodate both sports to help me finish that.

Congrats to you too. I doubt we're the only two 1/1 quitters. We should have a get together to celebrate our achievement. Quitlog Beers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Great to read people are still being positive, in my 6th month now and and feeling a lot healthier and richer (2500 euro). I got myself a new racer (am cycling with my children ) could not have done it if I was still smoking.
    I still have the odd craving but it passes.

Great to hear terenc. Looks like I should be moving onto cycling next! My dad got himself a really good racer when he retired four years ago and now he seems to spend his life cycling everywhere. He's always wearing the lycra gear as well!!! It's like he's going through the mid-life crisis except he's 69! :D

Mac I've been posting on the weight watchers/ food diary threads cos I'm trying to lose weight. I suggested to some of the posters that they should try the C25k. And seeing as you told me about it here, I think you should know .....look what you started!!! :p

gee thanks dollie - way to put the pressure on me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hi all !!!

First off i have to say congratulations to Macros42! You've done great and your an inspiration to me to give up, even with the day 8 fail, that confirmed to you that you didnt want to smoke anymore.

I gave up yesterday 30/03/10 after decideing last week i had enough of it,
    on 20 a day speading €67.60 give or take a box every week!

I found yesterday to be fine in work, i would have smoked every hour in work normally and thought it was going to be hard but i have found it to be so easy with just my muscles feeling a little jumpy and a tiny bit anxious in myself but just kept to my work.
    Although i did stay late in work as was affraid to go home lol, i found the cravings/withdrawal to be hell for the rest of the night but fought through it.

Today i fell less anxious but keep thinking to myself 'i cant wait to give up completely so i can celebrate with a smoke' but then i laugh at myself and say i am a non-smoker now.

I was thinking of starting to get a routine of walking/jogging in the evening now too as have loads of time on my hands now.
    So tonight i am thinking i will do say a half hour or so of brisk walking, and maybe next week i will start this C5K thing.

Sorry for the long winded txt, and keep up the great quitting work everyone!!!!!!
    :D

• Advertisement

Hi all !!!

First off i have to say congratulations to Macros42! You've done great and your an inspiration to me to give up, even with the day 8 fail, that confirmed to you that you didnt want to smoke anymore.

I gave up yesterday 30/03/10 after decideing last week i had enough of it,
    on 20 a day speading €67.60 give or take a box every week!

I found yesterday to be fine in work, i would have smoked every hour in work normally and thought it was going to be hard but i have found it to be so easy with just my muscles feeling a little jumpy and a tiny bit anxious in myself but just kept to my work.
    Although i did stay late in work as was affraid to go home lol, i found the cravings/withdrawal to be hell for the rest of the night but fought through it.

Today i fell less anxious but keep thinking to myself 'i cant wait to give up completely so i can celebrate with a smoke' but then i laugh at myself and say i am a non-smoker now.

I was thinking of starting to get a routine of walking/jogging in the evening now too as have loads of time on my hands now.
    So tonight i am thinking i will do say a half hour or so of brisk walking, and maybe next week i will start this C5K thing.

Sorry for the long winded txt, and keep up the great quitting work everyone!!!!!!
    :D

Congrats on getting through Day 1. The first week or so is hard because you constantly think about cigarettes! You did really well last night. Take one day at a time.

Your plan sounds great. Next week you'll be a non-smoking jogger! :D

Advertisement