Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well still hanging in there. Some evenings I get cravings but nowhere near as strong as before. Enjoying the new addiction of endorphins. This fitness lark isn't too bad. Played an hour of handball last night. Going jogging at lunchtime today. I've entered an event every month from March to August - mostly Duathlons - April is the Great Run 10K in Phoenix Park. The most surprising part is that I'm actually enjoying the running. And this addiction is a hell of a lot better than the last one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Day 18 and i'm hanging in there :) I went for a walk tonight, trying to get back in to it, both myself & the dog need to get fit, and it's definitely a lot easier to go walking without being short of breath!

One thing though, I've had some pretty vivid dreams about smoking. Is that normal? I'm grand during the day, well most of the time, I do get the ocasional urge but I wouldn't call them strong cravings. And then I have the dreams, where I'm either wanting to smoke or I'm smoking, and in the dream I'm like 'no! what are you doing???' but I'm still smoking!

Oh well, this time I'm determined I'm going to stick it out, only 10 more days before it's no longer a 'habit' although I think it'll take longer than that to get over it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The dreams? God, yes. They were never a problem though, almost positive actually.

I would have vivid dreams where I'm happily smoking, then I'd notice i'm smoking(!) and feel so depressed and upset that i'd failed to quit.

Then I'd wake up and feel better realising I was still on the wagon.

I've had vivid dreams too. Oh wait ... not those kind of dreams ;)

Not a craving today at all. Sometimes I actually find it easier to be around smokers (and pity them :p). Had a meeting in the kids school this evening and dropped the board secretary home afterwards. She's a smoker. She just got into the car with her cigarette not knowing that I was off them. When she realised she just gave me grief for being a quitter :D Secretly she's happy I'm sure but now she's the only one on the board of management who smokes. So it's my fault ... she's only kidding anyway.

There was a point ... oh yeah ... she smoked in my car. I didn't mind. And it didn't cause a craving. I had no interest. I opened the passenger window to blow out most of the smoke but that was it.

Does this mean I've moved from being an "off the smokes" person to being an "I don't smoke" person? It's starting to feel that way.

I hope I haven't put the mockers on it though. This weekend is the main event. 64 lads from 4 clubs going to Belfast for a bowling weekend. (that's lawn bowls not the 10-pin variety). If the last two years are any indication we will go through a ludicrous amount of alcohol in the name of our sport :eek: Last year this was my most drunken weekend of the year. If I can get through this then I can get through anything. If. IF.

Biggest test yet. I was reading another thread here with people saying 35 this year, 30 this year etc. I'm 40 in 4 months. Life begins at etc. Hopefully Life begins at 40 as a non-smoker. You others are just kids :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

macros 42. if you are not 100% sure that you can drink :rolleyes: lots of alchol and not be tempted to smoke, dont drink. i cant believe how well you are doing so far. im on day 4 , might not seem much but most but its a big YES for me. btw i had to go down the road of no alcohol, not a drop till im 100 % sure i wont cave whilst drunk. if it takes a year well thats what i have to do. have to sdmit my sleep pattern is all over the place, i feel im having an outer body experience these past 5 days. well i know now that i want to be a non smoker more than i want to be a smoker, so i will keep going. great reading your honest posts. thanks.. oh welcome to the big 40, although im 45. im now making it the new 40 in my head. dont know how my hubby putting up with mood swings , im going from super bitch to crying like a baby in a space of mins. well good luck every one. you too dollymix. :) viv

• Advertisement

dollyk wrote: »
    macros 42. if you are not 100% sure that you can drink :rolleyes: lots of alchol and not be tempted to smoke, dont drink.

On this weekend away? No chance :D It's a mad weekend. But you can't smoke indoors up north now either. I'm going up in a non-smokers car, I'm in a no smoking room in the hotel and sharing with a non-smoker. In the stadium I just have to not go outside. Easy right? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Mac you should just get so drunk you can't physically smoke :D

Seriously though what a pain it would be to have to go back to 1:3 thats day 1 - 3rd attempt - Keep strong and enjoy the weekend. Never realised lawn bowlers had such a great social life!!

There might be a sport out there for me after all. Did try softball before because it was perfectly acceptable to smoke on the sidelines but nearly passed out and made a show of myself in the middle of a match so that put a stop to it :)

LOL - that's a plan alright :D And from my hazy memory of this weekend last year not far off where I was :D

:D only 24 more to d day. opps day 5 sorry, im not in charge of my own brain these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Go on the Mac!

Have a wonderful and nicotine free weekend!

Can't wait to hear how you get on......

Dolly - great stuff! Those days will add up much quicker than you expect. You're doing so well so far.

Writing to no one in particular here on boards and getting replies has made things easier for me I think, cos I somehow think, there are a group of anonymous people out there in the same boat as me willing me on, and I don't want to disappoint. So keep the accounts up. Maybe some day I'll get over my addiction to the 'Giving Up Smoking' thread!!! :D

• Advertisement

well done to you and macros and everyone on this board. I agree with you fully its good to rant on here to no one in piticuclar. I have never tried so hard in my life, i even gave up alcohol, its working for me Thank god, i am sleeping rings around myself, but thats good. my mood is lifting a bit. also ive just realised by not drinking i have not drank ; 28 BOTTLES OF WINE AND 60 CANS OF BEER THIS MONTH:eek::eek::eek::eek::confused: That was just 1 bottle of wine and 2 beers a night. :P its no wonder i couldnt stop smoking.. BUT now ..what do i do with all this energy .. im walking each day to start with .. have a good week end dolliemix.. ok life story over. lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Best of luck Mac and thanks for a facinating and encouraging blog Please keep it up for us all!! It has been so interesting to see how you have gone through the last few weeks. I am on Day 5 and holding in. I hope you manage to stay smoke free this weekend and still enjoy yourself without feeling like something is "missing". :) And remember it isnt possible to have just one or smoke when out. I ahev done it in the past and it led to me retrning to smoking so refrain!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

What's the day 28 thing? I hit Day 28 yesterday.

Every day I don't smoke is a big step. Starting to regain control of my brain again (apart from a few outbursts of craziness when I'm nervous).

For the first time in nearly 10 years, I have no nicotine in my body. Shocking... It's like I broke out of prison (Freedom) and I always have to watch my back (in case I smoke again).

:)

Optimus485 wrote: »
    What's the day 28 thing? I hit Day 28 yesterday.

Every day I don't smoke is a big step. Starting to regain control of my brain again (apart from a few outbursts of craziness when I'm nervous).

For the first time in nearly 10 years, I have no nicotine in my body. Shocking... It's like I broke out of prison (Freedom) and I always have to watch my back (in case I smoke again).

:)

Haha what a great way of putting it Optimus! That can be exactly what it feels like! The day 28 thing refers to how long it takes to gain a new routine so that by the time 28 days is up you should have got used to the habit of not smoking! Alledgedly! :) Well done on 28 days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YummyMummy84

Love this thread keep up the good work I am on Day1 today and I find the cravings since the soaps started this evening very strong. I have been eating all day hope tom is a little bit easier.

I know I can because I can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minnicork

To all of you that are only starting out please please take it from me it gets easier and easier. I'm off them 1 month now and so over the moon. I went on my first real drinking session since I quit last night and to be honest was dreading it. I shouldn't have - we even ended up after hours where everyone was smoking inside and it didn't bother me at all. Woohoo. My partner is still smoking and I thought we might end up killing each other but to be fair to him he's not smoking in the house anymore and nor the car when I'm there and it's not bothering me at all.
    I can't believe how easy it is this time round for me (nearly afraid to jinx myself) but I really do think exercise is the reason. I started working out last September and now since I've given up I've upped it - it doesn't even matter if I'm eating more cos the running combats it. And as Macro said you getting an amazing buzz from it :D. Macro I might just see you in Kenmare for that run - we'll celebrate afterwards with a big FO cigar and a few cans of Bud- lol only joking!?!?

One last comment folks - I have really had no side effects since quitting - no cough, no colds - absolutely nothing. Only oo slight thing is my sleep is a little up and down but think tis cos I'm much warmer (I know very very weird) and waking cos too hot. Sorry for the long thesis guys :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 YummyMummy84

Day 2 really bad cravings just wanna curl up in bed!!
    When do cravings actually go?

The first 3 days are the worst - after that all the nicotine is gone so only your brain messin with you. Maybe go for a walk and just try to keep busy for next few days??? I also found drinking tea really helped. I know this probably sounds silly but when a craving comes - just busy yourself with making a cuppa and by the time you sit down with it the craving will have passed. Good Luck - you can do it :)

PS I'm only a month into it and I actually now only think bout one maybe once or twice a day ............. and its more in a hmmmm I don't smoke anymore way than I'd kill for one way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

I don't know if they ever go I am not being negative but am into my fourth month now and something else inside you takes over
    (INNER STRENGHT???)
    and puts you in control of the urge to have smoke. Hard to explain but your body sort of says am feeling different and I like it.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I am off them 28 days tomorrow and to be honest this is the easies I have ever found it.

I was off them for 4 months and 15 days in 2008 but got really drunk and ended up smoking as it was driving me mad, the desire to have one. I think the cravings never really go they just pop in when you least expect them or at your weakest moment. Some times you might go a month without wanting one and then out of the blue you get a craving so be aware and make sure you keep aware.

I must get into the fitness stuff soon, I have managed to keep my weight declining over the past few months but afraid it is starting to pile on. I am finding lots of food different though.

I loved wispas when I smoked but not find the chocolate in them and alot of bars to be quite bitter. Plus peanut M&M's there are a few in the bag that taste odd to me now, I never noticed any of it before.

It gets easier for sure. I am already feeling alot better and calmer about it all. PLUS i had wine at home on Friday night and i wasnt even tempted (although I wasnt around smokers nor didnt have any access to fags) but last night (Drum roll) i went out and wasnt even tempted! I was really anxious about it but it was fine! i feel like if i can do that i can beat these fags altogether! The smell of family/friends coming in from smoking was discusting and further cemented my decision! BUT beware smokers will slyly try to make u smoke. My dad even said "ah here have one" to me at one stage (he thought i wanted one i think but still!!) even though its only day 6 i have already stopped thinking about them so much and i just tell myself I am a nonsmoker now, simple as. I havent "given up" anything, I have just decided i dont need them anymore. Going to get up early and start my exercise strategy tomorrw to give myself every chance and i rewarded myself with a new phone yesterday with the money i have saved!! Keep it up everyone!!

:D says it all really

I posted yesterday about the urge to have a smoke but today was totally weird I didn't have a urge,am sitting here at home and thinking back on my day, now normally I could pinpoint when I wanted or would like to have have had a smoke nothing is coming up on the radar:D:D just great:D.
    I never thought I would get this far:D

Thought I'd posted since I got back. Must have forgotten.

Well went up to Belfast and had an exceptionally drunken weekend. Was a great couple of days. "Did he smoke?" I head the voices asking .... Hell NO! Didn't even want one. Was outside with some smoking mates a number of times just chatting and didn't desire a smoke in the slightest. In fact I can't remember a single craving while I was up there. Not getting any cravings since I got back either. I'm sure they're probably saving up to hit me all at once in a weak moment but I'm ready for them :D atm it's like minnicork says - I think about them but don't think about smoking them.

Into month 2 and going strong. :)

dollyk & yungwan - keep it up. I feel so much better now. The jogging and cycling are really helping - apart from keeping the weight down my general health feels so much better. I recommend some form of exercise even if it's just an incentive not to smoke. The initial fitness gains come very quickly - I'm running more than twice as far as I was two weeks ago.
    Yummymummy84 - I don't believe they ever really go away...ever. Day 2 & 3 are the worst tho. Stick with it - it gets easier. You will always be a smoker - but you can choose not to smoke :)
    TomTom - agreed - some things I liked 2 months ago are tasteless or worse now. But I'm enjoying other foods now that I can taste them properly.

Hi macros , hee hee heee was sitting chewing my nails waiting on you to post, :o. well done on the weekend of smokefree fun. i have not been brave enough to have a drink, but this week end ill be having a few. life has to go on .i have also started to go for a walk twice a day. well now the running :eek: may never happen , but i might brak into a little irish jog next week :P

Well done macros wasn't to sure where you were at has you hadn't posted.
    Home alone at the moment(holiday 1).I have taken up the clarinet again
    Played it years ago but you need plenty breath control and healthy lungs
    and just could not manage it when I was smoking,
    coughing and spluttering, the mouthpiece was not a healthy place to be.
    This morning I must have played for 2 hours.:cool: Your body seems to recover very fast when you decide to stop smoking:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I'm into my 2nd month now too! Time for me to start the regular exercising. I'll begin the Couch to 5k tonight. Just downloaded a podcast designed especially for it! This should be interesting....I cycle a bit but haven't done any long distance running in about a year. I'm hate running but I'm wondering will it be easier now that my lungs have been clear of tobacco for over a month now.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Jesus I am gagging for a smoke at the moment. These cravings are coming ever few minutes. Doing my head in.

• Advertisement

TomTom wrote: »
    Jesus I am gagging for a smoke at the moment. These cravings are coming ever few minutes. Doing my head in.

Hi Tom, did you beat the cravings?

Advertisement