Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Keep it going Mac
    At times of craving just remember how much you didn't even enjoy the fags you had in the 1st lapse. At least i presume you didn't enjoy them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Whadda you mean my "1st" lapse. Surely you mean my only lapse :p

Today was fine. Got a craving at about 3:30 - same as every other day this week. Not sure why that time is significant. None since. Mind you - I'm just back from a cycle, showered and about to eat with a glass of wine - we'll see how I feel then :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Anyone know of any specials on Extra Chewing gum, at this rate I am going to be spending more on them than I did on the smokes.

Was in Lidl today - some excellent gums - half the price of Extra.

Thats where I have been buying the multi packs. Think I need a jumbo box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

prefer blue extra over green all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

;) do you know when you have a crave, it passes whether you smoke or not. clever clogs or what;)

Mad day yesterday. Things going pear-shaped in work until well in to the night. Managed to get through it without a smoke. It's now 16 days since I quit with one hiatus smack bang in the middle. I really want to get through this weekend without one. Then next week. Then the week after. Then I'll tackle that chewing gum habit.

syngindub wrote: »
    prefer blue extra over green all day long

The blackcurrant ones from Lidl are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I survived my first week :D Even went out drinking last night, and I didn't want to smoke once! So proud of myself, I've been pleasantly surprised that this time round has been so much easier than I thought it would be

• Advertisement

I went for a few pints last night. Felt like I was going to start chewing the stair case behind me everytime the lads went for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Do any of you feel like you're getting drunk quicker when not smoking?

I had to go home after three glasses of wine last night because I was feeling really drunk!

Not going to beat around the bush here - I really want a smoke right now. I pretty much have wanted one all night. This weekend has been tough - cravings haven't been that frequent but strong. But tonight has been a series of them - all night. I almost had myself persuaded that just one smoke would relieve it the pressure and then I'd be ok again :eek:

Made it through tho. Getting through this weekend has been important to me. I ****ed up last weekend right at the start of it so I needed to get through this one. And I did. I've got strong support at home. My parents were over this evening as well and were supportive too. My dad was an 80-a-day man when he quit so he knows well what I'm going through. It all helps.

So that's eight days on the trot. 17 days since I actually decided to quit. I'm getting there. 28 days is the charm right? I'll settle for tomorrow - every night I'll settle for getting through tomorrow.

Come on Mac keep going please!!

Have a read of this - some really great posts on this forum

http://forum.nosmokingday.org.uk/showthread.php?t=6672

Oh I intend too. I'm a stubborn bastard when I want to be. Had a couple of strong cravings today but not as strong as yesterday's. And another day feeding the white wolf :)

Read that thread - well read page one of it. First post was good but it degenerated into crap from post 2. I thought I was in AH for a minute. Won't be reading much of that forum if that's the way the threads go. They'd just make me want to smoke to avoid being one of them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭battser

Thought this thread was a great idea so said id get involved as I have wanted to have one for a few days now. Started off well on the 1st didnt crave and was suprised at how easy I was going got back to work and thats the killer going out with the lads for a smoke 5 or 6 times a day but never even batted an eyelid. Was doing really good and still am off the cigs. Got a craving to sneak out of my room and just enjoy one on the couch last night. I didnt. thank god!

Good work battser. Welcome to the club :)

When I started this thread it was more for myself than anyone else. A record that I could refer to and a journal of how I got through the bad days as well as the benefits (more of that anon). As I said at the time if it helps other people too then great but the primary purpose was to help myself quit. Yet it has picked up a bit of a following which I'm delighted and amazed at. 2500+ views implies that there are a few lurkers here just reading - don't be shy - pop in and say hi. Even if you do still smoke if you're reading this then you're considering quitting and that's the first step. I 'considered' quitting for about 2 years before I finally did it.

Benefits I'm feeling after 2 weeks. Breathing - so much better. Smell - no smell on my clothes, hair, house. Taste and appetite - I'm tasting things I've not tasted in years and eating much better.

Fitness - still crap of course but that takes work. At lunchtime today I went for a job/walk. I've started the couch to 5k program. At lunchtime today I did Week 1 Workout 1. And completed it - out of breath but completed. I'll do workout 2 on Thursday and 3 at the weekend. I wouldn't have been able to manage that a month ago. But my lung capacity and breathing are so much better already that I could do it. Probably go for a cycle this evening and mayeb a swim at lunchtime tomorrow.

P.S. If any other quitter wants to join me in getting fit I'm doing the jogging down the quays by the IFSC and the cycling/jogging at the weekends in Maynooth. Feel free to PM me and we can go through the pain together. :)

Macros42 wrote: »
    Oh I intend too. I'm a stubborn bastard when I want to be. Had a couple of strong cravings today but not as strong as yesterday's. And another day feeding the white wolf :)

Read that thread - well read page one of it. First post was good but it degenerated into crap from post 2. I thought I was in AH for a minute. Won't be reading much of that forum if that's the way the threads go. They'd just make me want to smoke to avoid being one of them :D

Ha lol :D you could at least pretend it was a help...
    So funny though...

I'll send on any more gems I come across :p

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

just checking, good work. im still a loser:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minniecork

Hi Macros
    Yup I'm one of those lurkers logging in everyday but not contributing so I've decided to take the plunge!??!
    I want to thank you firstly for keeping me sane.

I gave up on Monday 4th - first week a breeze, think I was so determined that nothing was going to make me fail. Took the lozenges for first 3 days and clean since. I found last week a little tougher and weekends are by far the worst. Overall it hasn't been that bad though - its more there are moments as opposed to hours where I doubt myself but I find if you busy yourself with anything at all - a cuppa, the internet, whatever - it passes!!

The other big bit of advice I have is exercise - I started jogging 2 months ago (trust me not a pleasant sight, heaving after 200m) and am flying now, I try to get some in most days - think it just balances off my mind and combats the grumpy side.

Please try to keep it up - your posts really really helped me during the first 10 days.

• Advertisement

minniecork wrote: »
    Hi Macros
    Yup I'm one of those lurkers logging in everyday but not contributing so I've decided to take the plunge!??!
    I want to thank you firstly for keeping me sane.

I gave up on Monday 4th - first week a breeze, think I was so determined that nothing was going to make me fail. Took the lozenges for first 3 days and clean since. I found last week a little tougher and weekends are by far the worst. Overall it hasn't been that bad though - its more there are moments as opposed to hours where I doubt myself but I find if you busy yourself with anything at all - a cuppa, the internet, whatever - it passes!!

The other big bit of advice I have is exercise - I started jogging 2 months ago (trust me not a pleasant sight, heaving after 200m) and am flying now, I try to get some in most days - think it just balances off my mind and combats the grumpy side.

Please try to keep it up - your posts really really helped me during the first 10 days.

Welcome and good luck. I really happy that my random mutterings can actually be a help :)

It is moments I find too. For some reason 3:30ish in the afternoon is my worst craving still. I don't know why - I don't recall that being a regular smokebreak time. But is only for a few minutes. Evenings sometimes with a glass of wine or a beer I crave one but it's not that strong anymore. I just sip the wine and remind myself that 3 weeks ago I couldn't taste it properly (that doesn't help with Bud - tastes like catpiss regardless :D).

I'll keep this going for as long as I've stuff to report (and as long as I'm smoke free). The cravings are weakening and becoming less frequent. I don't desire a smoke in the mornings at all anymore which I find astounding - my first smoke was always my favourite. It was delicious. I'm sure you know what I mean. But no craving in the morning. First one is usually about 11am - tea break time. Today I didn't take that teabreak as I was busy and I didn't have a craving - go figure.

And yes - exercise! It's a winner. Between the cycling, swimming and now the jogging I'm a new man already. I'm determined to do Gael Force in August and that will take some commitment. I've signed up for a duathlon in March and there's three more in May, June and July that I've my sights on. Aside from the obvious health impact being able to run a little further for longer, or cycle further, or swim further, is a real incentive to stay off the fags. Plus it will help with the practically inevitable weight gain that most people have when quitting. Hopefully anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

my first smoke was always my favourite. It was delicious. I'm sure you know what I mean.

That made me laugh.

oh how i loved to feel dizzy and numb first thing in the morning, and a jug of coffee was the perfect compliment.

Anyone else noticed how your coffee consumption has declined? Mine did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minniecork

Giggles - ya reckon Bud possibly has always tasted that bad and coffee def is no longer the holy grail - I've no interest in it since I quit!

Quick ques - do you think we'd be better spending our money (saved daily in a jar) on a treat every week/month (optimistic I know:p) or putting it aside and go on a F**k off holiday down the road???

Mac - reckon we're going to turn into complete exercise fanatics the way we're going but as you said I have to do something to combat the gorging every evening.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    That made me laugh.

oh how i loved to feel dizzy and numb first thing in the morning, and a jug of coffee was the perfect compliment.

Anyone else noticed how your coffee consumption has declined? Mine did.

Never a coffee drinker - my vice is tea. Have about 6 or 7 types of tea in the press at home (not calomile or green crap - real tea like Earl Grey, Irish Breakfast, Assam etc). On my desk in work I've got boxes of Earl Grey and Darjeeling teabags. And no - my tea drinking hasn't declined at all. It never will. I think tea is different to coffee. I never associated tea with smoking. Tea breaks yes - but not the drink itself. I would enjoy my tea then maybe have a smoke afterwards. But I know coffee drinkers who bring it outside with them for a smoke.

But that first smoke in the morning. Fond memories of an old friend :D

minniecork wrote: »
    Giggles - ya reckon Bud possibly has always tasted that bad and coffee def is no longer the holy grail - I've no interest in it since I quit!

Quick ques - do you think we'd be better spending our money (saved daily in a jar) on a treat every week/month (optimistic I know:p) or putting it aside and go on a F**k off holiday down the road???

Mac - reckon we're going to turn into complete exercise fanatics the way we're going but as you said I have to do something to combat the gorging every evening.

Bud was always catpiss. Smoking didn't make it taste any better. Still love my tea tho - see above.

Moneywise. I've plans for my savings. 40/day is about €600/month. That's a lot of money. At the end of March I'm going to buy myself a very good bike if my job still hasn't brought in the Bike2Work scheme - bloody joke - it's been available for over a year and they still haven't done it. We've got promises but that's all. I'll also be paying for the summer holiday for my family from the savings. I'm not putting it aside daily myself. I don't really want to. I know I'm saving. I'd rather watch my account not dwindle the way it normally does than put it in a jar.

Guessing from the name that you're a rebel. There's a 10K I'm considering in Kenmare (http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-04-24/jack-and-jill-run-hill-2010) in April. If I do sign up for it let's run it together with a giant blow up cigarette in our hands :D

Shhh - don't tell that getwellsoon person but it's getting easier. I had my 3:30 craving today but that was the only real one. I'm feeling good about myself. My energy levels are higher. I'm not getting out of breath from simple tasks* and I really feel my quality of life is improving.

This Saturday will be tough tho - will I get through watching Leinster beat LI in the pub without wanting a celebratory smoke? I think I will.

*Mrs Mac can vouch for that :D

This Saturday will be tough tho - will I get through watching Leinster beat LI in the pub without wanting a celebratory smoke? I think I will.

11-11 and Leinster through :) In pub watching a crap game of rugby. And didn't want a smoke even once. Even though the guy I was watching it with was popping out for smokes regularly. Didn't bother me at all - didn't feel any desire to join him. Ran 5K this morning too with Donadea Running Club. This is all working out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

11-11 and Leinster through :) In pub watching a crap game of rugby. And didn't want a smoke even once. Even though the guy I was watching it with was popping out for smokes regularly. Didn't bother me at all - didn't feel any desire to join him. Ran 5K this morning too with Donadea Running Club. This is all working out well.

Well done! :D:D:D That's the hardest hurdle over, not smoking when you're drinking!

I'm on day 15, the longest I've been off them before is 14 days, so I'm on a roll! The sheer determination to stay off them is what's keeping me off them at the moment. Some days I don't even think about smoking, but other days like yesterday I just want one. It's not cravings, just niggling reminders that I want one. But NO, I'm not going to have one, I will not give in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Well done Mac and Mariebeth. It's such a great feeling, almost like a high, coming home from a night of alcohol and not smoking. You've many more highs to come!

I'm on day 22. This is my third time coming home from a night drinking smokeless. Every night I go out I doubt myself for some reason. But then when I'm there it's not so bad. It's like the fear and anticipation is worse than the actual action. Sort of like an interview or oral exam. Then that feeling of - I really underestimate myself after all. I'm well able to do this.

Another weekend done - Congrats everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭martingore

keep up the good work everyone, enjoying reading this , helps a lot

Advertisement