Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac's quitlog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hey RLG - good to hear from you!
    Now here's someone who really can identify with what you're going through! I find it impossible too - I have no willpower at all and I hate myself for it. I tried three years ago and lasted 12 weeks (with patches) but I became fixated by smoking during that time - it seemed to dominate my every waking moment. I vowed never to put myself through it again but I am about to do it! Patches are bought and quit date is set. I decided to pick a significant day to do it and it will be the day I sign the contract for the sale of my house, which was my home for 26 years!
    I am not making myself any promises or putting any unnecessary pressure on myself. I've just made up my mind that the time has come to do this and it has to be done. If I fail, I fail - but I'll try again;)
    Let me know how you're getting on but, please, don't get obsessed by it like I did. We will get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

i just cant justify throwing 8.40 in the bin even though i already have in buyin the pack.

But you've no problem sticking 8.40 in the ashtray and then throwing the ash in the bin. You could always take away the middleman :)

I'm not criticising. It's not easy - I know that. I've been that soldier. I used to panic when I'd only 10 smokes left in the box ..... holy **** - get to the shop in case I run out and buy 40!!!!1111one.

But I'll be honest with you. You are not ready to quit. If you were you would throw them out. Or not buy the next box. That's fine. I've done that a hundred times. When you're ready to quit you will know - and you will quit when it's time for you to quit. And we'll be here to support you 100% when you do.

I'm right behind you - I see myself in what you're saying. You're not there yet but you're not far away. When you get there let us know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hey Tony, i know your right in what your saying, i just cant justify throwing 8.40 in the bin even though i already have in buyin the pack.
    I'll just try again tomorrow.
    It's crap though everytime i fail i feel like s**t. Next times the charm!
    Its not easy readyletsgo but just keep trying I was in the same boat and just like you I failed more times then was real and then the guilt would creep in and before you knew it I was back on them again and it use to kill me when other smokers would seek comfort with me on how hard it is to stop (**** talk)
    I think the more times you try and fail are small steps on the road to quitting call it a learning process and i firmly believe you get to know your weak moments, maybe try one of stop smoking programs. I am off smokes 7 months and I have to say I planned it well but this only happened becaused i failed so many times.
    Keep the head up and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Macros42 wrote: »
    But I'll be honest with you. You are not ready to quit. If you were you would throw them out. Or not buy the next box. That's fine. I've done that a hundred times. When you're ready to quit you will know - and you will quit when it's time for you to quit. And we'll be here to support you 100% when you do.

I'm right behind you - I see myself in what you're saying. You're not there yet but you're not far away. When you get there let us know :)

I agree 100% with this statement. Its a mental battle, one that does get easier with every passing day, week and month, but a battle all the same. You need to be 100% ready to fight it and keep ur motivation going. So take a breather (pardon the pun!) and try again in a week or two when you feel ready. ANd stop beating yourself up. When u do take the challenge again forget your past failings and take every new day as it comes!

We are all here to follow your progress and give support. I have been off them since Jan 25th and this thread was a god sent to me.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Three weeks ago I finally quit the nicotine lozenges i'd been on for aover a year since i quit the cigs.

Its been easier than quitting cigarettes but a lot harder than I thought. The cravings can be strong at times.

At least my body is finally clear of nicotine even if my brain isnt yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Three weeks ago I finally quit the nicotine lozenges i'd been on for aover a year since i quit the cigs.

Its been easier than quitting cigarettes but a lot harder than I thought. The cravings can be strong at times.

Well done. That must be hard. But you now know you're good at this sort of thing so keep it up!

I went to a hen party two weeks ago and smoked one cigarette. I didn't want to make a big deal about it or beat myself up about it because I wanted to just get back on track straight away, which I did. I still believe I've been off them over three months, because even when I had that slip up, I was still off them. I can't even remember how it was or was it worth it, as I'd had a bit to drink at the time. Anyway I wasn't tempted again and it was like nothing had happened until tonight!

Tonight was my first night out since the hen. And before I went out, I began to get really worried that I might have another one again tonight. The 'fear' and self-doubt was back again....from one tiny incident that happened two weeks ago, which I've barely thought about since. I nearly even contemplated not going out.....

Anyway, i needn't have feared so much. It wasn't hard at all tonight not to smoke. Even, though I was out in the smoking area for most of the night. I had told myself if I felt like one, I would just go home. There were people all around me smoking, I didn't want a cigarette at all, but I was enjoying the smell of smoke around me! I think thats a good sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kazbarr

InTheTrees wrote: »

Well done firstly for giving up the smokes for over a year but I'm horrified to hear that you are struggling to get of the gum. Can I ask if you still crave a cigarette or is it the gum you crave ? I have heard of this before where people successfully give us the smokes but then can't get of the gum and in the end, they end up going back on the smokes.

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum, I came acoss this forum whilst looking for quit methods and results etc and have read every single thread on here. Mac's quitlog was a fantastic thread of recording how things were going and lots of people have probably read and related to it but have been to embaressed to post themselves but never the less have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

I myself will have completed 3 weeks tomorrow without a cigarette. The first couple of weeks it was fairly easy as my determination was very high but the last week it seems to have been harder and those nicotene receptors have been going mad teasing me.....I was drawn to this thread because of what the lozengers have done to "Inthetrees". I know most of you on here have gone cold turkey but I decided to have another go with the patches and the gum, it works for me so you have to go with whats best for yourself. I've not had a patch on for the last 2 days and I use about 2 lozenges a day so it's not so bad, I'm hoping to wean myself of them as the weeks go by.

My biggest reason for failing in the past is the thinking about them all the time, it's not that I want or need one as I only smoked 5 cigarettes a day and I had them at set times throughout the day. If that magic wand could be waved to say you have never smoked and you don't need one, it would be so much easier wouldn't it. We all go through our own pains and torments but it's good to know we are all one on this forum and have great people supporting us.

I will let you know how I get on :):)

Good luck Kazbarr!

Its good when you're aware of when it might be dangerous or when you're likely to crave the most so that you can mentally be ready for it, and know that you have to be very strong at those times. Sounds like you're doing really well. Just take one day at a time. The thinking about them all the time thing does go away. Its like breaking up with someone.....eventually it dawns on you....'hey I haven't thought about such and such for a few hours.....I must be getting over him!!" :D:D:D

Keep it up Kaz. 5 a day is as addictive as 50 - and is as hard a habit to break. I was in my club with a friend last night - he took out a pack of these Niquitin mini tabs. He's off the smokes since last August! I was a bit stunned tbh. He admitted he's had the odd smoke this year. He is happy having that crutch of those new minis or the gum. He can't accept that he can quit without those things.

It's all down to belief. If gum/lozenges/tabs/etc help you quit - then great ... go for it. But with them or without them you must believe you can quit. Willpower is just an expression of your own belief. With any aids you still need to believe you can be a non-smoker.

Thanks for your support Dolliemix & Macros42, you are both right in what you say....you do have to believe you can do it and keep that belief going. Like you have said before Macros, you can't relax at any time as those nicotene receptors are there ready to jump, so you have to remain focused at all times.

I've failed quite a few times after trying various methods like Allen Carr's book, and at the same time I bought Paul Mckenna's book and CD to help. The CD was wonderful as it was great for getting to sleep, his voice was like velvet and I'd fall asleep no problem... lol..I don't think the rest was going into my subconcious mind .. and on top of that I'd taken those tablets (not champix, but the other drug...the name escapes me) I was so positive to start with but once again failed as the weeks went by.

Ohh well it's another day and a another day free of all the posion's of inhaling ..woohoo :D:D:D

• Advertisement

It seems to be very quiet on here, was it something I said lol !!

How is everyone doing ? how is the fitness training going for some of you and has anyone else reading this decided to quit, or is those of you who have quit still of them ?

Would be good to hear how some of you are getting on. ;)

It's all your fault. I'm back smoking 80 a day now because of you.

:D

Only kidding. Still there - 4 months now. Heading off to Westport on Friday. Doing this madness on Saturday!

Training going very well. Cycled 14k to Donadea Forest on Monday and then locked the bike to a tree and ran 5k. Then ran another slow 3k with 'er indoors who's started on the C25K program as well - she's not letting me leave her behind :D

We'll see how I get on on Saturday. I'll make sure to post here to let you know :)

How you getting on yourself?

Hi Kazbarr!

I was away this last weekend. I was pretty drunk one night and my friend told some random guy that I had given up smoking and not to give me a cigarette if I asked for one. The guy, in turn, kept telling everyone else in the pub not to give me one!!! Lol! I don't really remember, but apparently nobody in the pub would give me one! My friend thinks I might have had a drag but I definitely didn't have a cigarette. :D

Running is going great for me. I'm up to 4.5 miles. No problems at all with my breathing. There is no way I'd have been able for this if I still smoked. I can't wait to run the 10k for the WOmens Mini Marathon in June and I know I'll be able for it! First time I'll be able to run the whole thing in 10 years. Hangovers, even seem more bearable. I've also lost 20lbs as a result of the running.

My life has turned around completely since Jan 1st - the day I decided to give up.

How are you getting on? And Macros how are you?

Good God!

I'd do it myself of course, only the entry date has closed!!!:( :D

Good luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Gave up on 1st Jan 2010. Now I don't even think about going back smoking.

I really don't like the smell. I am very sensitive to it and I can tell if a smoker has passed by me on the street. It makes me cringe to think my clothes and my skin smelled that bad for nearly 10 years.

If I'm offered a cigarette, I politely decline and continue whatever I was doing.

I don't smoke now and I can move on with my life... 4 months later.

Also it's worth saying that:
    1. I kept a diary of how much money I was saving every day, and week, so to date I have not spent 900 euro smoking. That's alot of money.
    2. I failed plenty of times when trying to give up before, so just try and try again;)

You will be able for the 10k. Look at my .sig quote. I did a 10k in April - 61 mins - and very happy with that time. If you're up to 4.5 miles now then the extra 1.5 is no bother to you - if you can run 8k you can run 10k. Just don't go mad at the start - save something for the end.

Pity they've closed entries to Connemara. Entries for GFW are still open tho - I'm doing that too - fancy joining me? :D

I know what you mean Optimus. The smell doesn't actually bother me but it's only since I quit that I notice it - it's a noxious smell. I'd saved 900 by the end of Feb - scary thought that.

Good to hear you're another 2010 survivor (quitting has such negative overtones :D). Keep going :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

hi everyone. Im still off them too thank god. Off them just over 3 months and thankfully I am not tempted at all really. Ive been out loads and its just something I no longer do, which seems to work for me psychologically!

dolliemix wrote: »
    No problems at all with my breathing. There is no way I'd have been able for this if I still smoked. I can't wait to run the 10k for the WOmens Mini Marathon in June

Well done Dolliemix! Im also doing the mini marathon this year and I am currently jogging for 30 mins. I am following a plan in which I jog by time rather than distance so Im not entirely sure the distance but I figure about 2.5 miles?! (ish!)

I feel great. I am toned and my boyf is always remarking how much better I look (and smell!) A friend recently called me an inspiration, which was nice!

Macros you're like an entirely different person now! There is no way someone would know you were the same person if you were to compare your OP to now!! Well done you! You truely are an example of how someone can change their life around one small step at a time so well done! You have inspired many, myself included, so thumbs up!! :D

Hey great to hear from everyone and even tho I don't know you both I feel so proud of what you've achieved in such a short space of time...it's fantastic that you are now competing in events like this that you wouldn't have bothered about before, and Dolliemix I'm well impressed as to how much weight you have lost, you must feel fantastic !!!

We'll all be with you on Saturday Macros42, running it with you in our minds, it will be hard but I'm sure you will finish it and the satisfaction will be immense as you and you only, have achieved this :D:D:D

I'm doing ok really except it was my birthday last week and me and hubby went out for a meal. I was doing ok till we were ready to leave and then I changed into a child in my mind and wanted a cigarette as a treat to myself, so I had a couple :(:( bad girl I know but i couldn't stop myself :eek: !!

I'm back on track tho and have carried on without them with the same determination that I'm going to be a non smoker....I feel like a really naughty girl telling you this but I'd rather be honest with you all than lie :o

I'm still thinking of trying this couch to 5k programme as I think it will give me even more motivation and keep my mind of them and give me that high which you are both feeling :D

So will keep in touch and wait to hear how you get on Saturday, we are all cheering you on Mac !! :D

Well I survived Saturday. Bloody tough race. 32km not 25 as advertised. The bog really was bog - and so was the mountain. The second half of the cycles was in to a strong wind - as was the kayak section! All in all a great day out. I completed it in 3:40 which was a pretty decent time all things considered.

And as for the proof:
    Start
    Bike
    Finish

And not a cigarette in sight :)

• Advertisement

Well done Macros.

Great stuff Macros.

You're still inspiring us! :)

Mac that was an amazing time from the sounds of a really tough course....absolutely brilliant, well done to you....like Dollymix says you are such an inspiration to everyone on this forum.

Also everyone else on here seems to be doing really well which is great to hear...I think the more stories you read like Mac's just keep you going.

How is everybody else doing ? I'm still off them and it is getting a little easier now but I still have to remain strong. I've just had a tough week as well as i lost my job and the need for a ciggie was strong but so far I've resisted having come this far.

:D:D:D

Sorry to hear about your job Kazbarr. You are doing brilliant to stay off the cigarettes though. Unbelieavably brilliant. Keep it up.

I should be running 8k tomorrow.

I've lost 10% of my body weight since the beginning of March. So I got a sticker at weight watchers and had to tell the class what my 'secret' was! :D

Re cigarettes - still off them, but had some strong cravings Saturday night, just out of nowhere. didn't give in though.....and I was so glad the next day!

Well done again on staying off them in such stressful situations. That is inspiring!!!

Thanks Dolliemix for your encouragement it really does bring an inward smile, thinking yeah I have done well. On top of losing my job I've also picked up this virus and have felt really rough all week....in one way I haven't desired one as much with feeling rough but it still hasn't stopped me wanting one either, that's the brain playing tricks with me saying you deserve a treat to cheer you up because you are having a bad time ;)

Hey enough about me....I'm really impressed with what you have acheived....to give up smoking and lose 10% of your body weight is just amazingly fantastic and you should be so proud of yourself :D:D

So are you competing in a run this weekend then ? If you are I'm sure you will do fantastic but I'm wishing you luck anyway.
    I live in Manchester and it's the Bupa Great 10k run tomorrow, (saturday) as I've not even starting running yet I haven't applied to enter it, not unlike some of you on here who are doing fantastic. :o:o

Yes being out with friends is the toughest time of all and in my opinion it's always going to be the one time you have to remain the strongest as even ex smokers still say they have the urge years after they have stopped....I find that statement hard and hope it doesn't happen to me :eek:
    Anyway you didn't have the ciggie and like you said you were glad you didn't so big pat on to the back to you woo hoo.

So if you are running tomorrow I'll be with you in thought...good luck and go for it !!

Kazbarr wrote: »
    Mac that was an amazing time from the sounds of a really tough course....absolutely brilliant, well done to you....like Dollymix says you are such an inspiration to everyone on this forum.

Also everyone else on here seems to be doing really well which is great to hear...I think the more stories you read like Mac's just keep you going.

How is everybody else doing ? I'm still off them and it is getting a little easier now but I still have to remain strong. I've just had a tough week as well as i lost my job and the need for a ciggie was strong but so far I've resisted having come this far
    I don't know about being an inspiration but I'm quite happy being an example. My SO has taken up jogging - she's doing the same C25K course I started with. I told her tonight that I'm looking forward to doing CAC with her next year and she was skeptical - until I pointed to myself as an example of a smoker who went from completely unfit to that in 4 months. She's considering it :D

Good stuff on resisting. Just keep reminding yourself that a smoke won't remove the stress but will only increase it. Be strong - it's not easy but nothing worthwhile is :)
    dolliemix wrote: »
    I've lost 10% of my body weight since the beginning of March. So I got a sticker at weight watchers and had to tell the class what my 'secret' was! :D

Re cigarettes - still off them, but had some strong cravings Saturday night, just out of nowhere. didn't give in though.....and I was so glad the next day!

Well done again on staying off them in such stressful situations. That is inspiring!!!
    Indeed it is inspiring - I didn't have to go through that. If you can lose your job and stay off the smokes that's a true inspiration.

Dollie: You don't want to lose too much weight. The scales are not the only measure. I've put on weight but lost belly. All the training has increased muscle which weighs heavier. Sure if there's extra curves to be lost that's ok but don't go crazy - being fit is better than being thin - you've seen my photos :D

And as for cravings .. remember my pub-based guru? Here's the reason
    Kazbarr wrote: »
    Yes being out with friends is the toughest time of all and in my opinion it's always going to be the one time you have to remain the strongest as even ex smokers still say they have the urge years after they have stopped....I find that statement hard and hope it doesn't happen to me :eek:
    It is a tough time - but friends will help you. I've been out on a mad weekends with friends and been grand. Ex smokers are telling you that because it's true. A friend of mine is off them years and when I tell him about my occasional cravings he's honest enough to tell me that they never really go away. That's the problem with smoking - you will never be a non-smoker ... you'll only be a smoker who's not smoking. It gets easier with time is all.

Last week myself and her-indoors were watching the box and she mentioned cigarettes for some unremembered reason. That had actually been the first day that I hadn't thought about cigarettes since I quit - then she brought them up! :D Seriously - it is still the only day that I haven't thought about smoking without a prompt. Even today I was walking out of the train station behind a smoker and I was breathing her smoke thinking how lovely a smell it was. So I punched myself in the nose*. It doesn't go away. 4 months later I'm one cigarette away from being a smoker again. You have to keep focused. Focus on the benefits not the drawbacks. The benefits do win.

*I didn't punch myself

I'm having a hard time this weekend, it's 12.00 on a Sunday evening and I could quite easily drive round to Tesco's. I've not had many nights like this but I guess it's because I'm feeling sorry for myself. As you know i lost my job Monday and then Tuesday I started with this virus/cold and it just won't go away, my chest is congested and my ears have blocked up today. This has never happened to me before and I do believe it's something to do with not smoking as when you smoke the air waves stay open (correct me if I'm wrong) whereas at the moment all my sinuses are blocked.
    I should be happy in one way as it's good but it's because I feel so miserable I'm thinking what is the point of this.

I guess I just need to have a rant as my hubby is still smoking (cigars) and he'd just say do you want me to go and get you some so I keep it to myself.

Sorry for going on and hope you've all had a good weekend.....looking forward to hearing how your run went Dollymix and to hear how the rest of you are doing.

:(

Hi Kazzbrrr

Hang on in there. You're doing so well. A few weeks after I gave up I was sure I had swine flu I felt so crap and run down. It was like all the crap was finally moving out.

You will feel even more miserable if you smoke again. At the moment you are in complete control of the smoking because you've been off them so long now. You are telling nicotine who's boss!

Hope you're feeling better today! Have you considered taking up an exercise plan like the one myself and Mac took up initially C25k? It gave me something else that was positive to focus on and really helped. You need to look after you're health when you're feeling down. You'll get through this and you'll feel great when you come out of it healthier.:)

Good luck!

Hi Kazbarr,
    Has dolliemix said just hang on in there, I went through something like that and it was pretty horrid but you will come through just stick with it.

• Advertisement

Thanks to you both for your support it really does keep you going believe me and it's also good to hear that others go through the same things as well.

Well I managed to get through the evening without running to Tesco's for a pack, you'll be pleased to know ;) so when I got up I made myself an appointment at the docs, so hopefully now I have some antibiotics I should start feeling much better which will bring me back into focus again.

I have thought about doing this couch to 6k but never seemed to find the time when I was working and having been off last week it would have been stupid to start running with a virus as I had no energy......so I'll give it a go me thinks in a couple of days.

Ohh well that's another day without one and that's got to be a good thing :D:D:D

Advertisement