Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 Reg Watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

BarryM wrote: »
    I started reading this thread 'cos I wondered what the f it was about.... I now realise it is for saddos who a)look at regs b) pay for specials and c) probably watch those UK saddo shows about cars where eejits stand around for hours listening to sh*te.

A car is a means of transport, not much else.

BTW I own a '72 classic car, so I'm not an 'anti'

Infraction given for trolling.

It's a bloody motoring forum, we're into cars. If you think they're only a means of transport, then you're in the wrong place.
    We have a classic cars forum if you're into the older stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

BTW I own a '72 classic car
    What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What is it?

Why feed the troll?

BTW Its a 72 MGBT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Berty wrote: »
    Why feed the troll?

BTW Its a 72 MGBT
    Was just askin!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

A car is a means of transport, not much else.

You, sir, should go wash your mouth/fingers out :eek:

• Advertisement

OK people, nothing to see here, move along...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

ION08 wrote: »
    so how do people know that the guy with the focus actually reserved that number and paid 1000 for it as opposed to just having being issued it??

I agree that ipaying 1000 for that particular reg on that particular car would be madness but each to their own, I just don't like it when people are so quick to point the finger and begrudge without gettin their facts straight first!?

I don't know for sure that this person paid €1000 for 201 but the fact that he changes his Focus every year, get's 201 as his number and drives the car on New Years Day would seem to indicate that it's more than a coincidence.

I'm certainly not pointing a finger or begrudging anyone. If the man wants to spend 1000 on a plate on a car, best of luck to him. The more people that hand an extra €1000 to the govt, the sooner the country gets out of recession.
    If he is lucky enough to be issued with 201 for the past 6 or 7 years, I wonder would he pick lotto numbers for me this week.
    What puzzles me is if he's booking a number, why doesn't he just go for 1.........or have Kavanagh's them all booked up for their busses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

It's a lottery-based system; he's lucky because nobody else would be looking for the '201' plate.

For a lot of people the numbers have meaning - I remember reserving XXD2711 for a customer of mine. I thought it was a strange number to request, and when I asked I found out his daughter's birthday was 27th Nov.

I also had another customer request XXD1844 (or something similar, I don't remember) because it was the year of a significant war/battle in Irish history.
    He told me what it was at the tme, but I can't recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

years ago my dad bought a sierra saphire 1.9 turbo diesel, one of the first turbo diesels out if i remember, but got the reg number 91-C-1900...and the same time my uncle bought a new 1.6 civic, 91-C-1600...in those days it was enough to just know someone in the office and get it for nothing ;)

I see a BMW 320i around Cork with the reg 0?-C-3201, but looks like 320i with the screw head cap in the right place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jomcc

It's a lottery-based system; he's lucky because nobody else would be looking for the '201' plate.

Surely it can't be just luck to manage it every year?? I'd imagine that it's surely booked.........then again, maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Jomcc wrote: »
    Surely it can't be just luck to manage it every year?? I'd imagine that it's surely booked.........then again, maybe not.

Well it is Laois after all, surely wouldnt that much demand for it, maybe the person registering the car knows when to do it, shelling out a grand for that for two years running would be madness IMO

Jomcc wrote: »

If he's the only one applying for that number, it's automatically his.

Not so the case if you were applying for XX-D-911 for a Porsche during the Celtic Tiger days..

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

-Chris- wrote: »
    I also had another customer request XXD1844 (or something similar, I don't remember) because it was the year of a significant war/battle in Irish history.

The famine? Was it a chip van?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

A chip van audi? I doubt it somehow! :D

the famine does come to mind in that year though! :)

I also had another customer request XXD1844eighteensomethingsomething because it was the year of a significant war/battle in Irish history.

FMP :p:D

Also, I don't remember the year, but I remember thinking that xxD1759 would have been better because he worked for Guinness, but there's no talking to some people... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I picked up this beast today....:)

100639.jpg

Wear well!

And now for this weird part of the year where all reg's look funny to me - it always takes me a while to adjust to the new reg prefix... :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Wear well!

And now for this weird part of the year where all reg's look funny to me - it always takes me a while to adjust to the new reg prefix... :o:D
    Likewise :o

• Advertisement

Im hoping very soon to be putting up a pic of a 10 CE XXXX soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

just saw one a Bmw 5 series Gran Turismo , , only recently released car bet that cost a quid or 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It'll be the first CE up here:D

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

we're into cars.

<snip back-seat moderation>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 granadaghia

Isnt it great how the simple folk are totally obsessed with a number on a reg plate , with the motor trade as it is , most of these so called NEW cars are probably up to 2 years old . any one who buys a car at this time of year is definitly buying last years car.
    Ha ha fools and their money are soon parted.
    We all need these idiots at this time of the year. IF you really need a new reg get on down to the autofactors and get them to make you one up , 11 D 1111, then you will be the greatest person in your estate , for the time being anyway .but alas time marches on.

Isnt it great how the simple folk are totally obsessed with a number on a reg plate , with the motor trade as it is , most of these so called NEW cars are probably up to 2 years old . any one who buys a car at this time of year is definitly buying last years car.

In fact if you are a savvy buyer like most of the people that spend time on this forum researching then you will ensure that you are buying a current model and if you are buying an older shape then you are ensuring a larger discount on account of the larger depreciation in value.

Opel are going to have a lot of Astras on sale currently because of the facelift. Skoda have the same with the Octavia however they are actively selling the Octavia Tour as a model as well for a significantly cheaper price.

Ford had the same issues in 2007/2008 when a new facelift was released in July 2007 yet in Jan 2008 there were a lot of pre facelift models released and many were on the road by Hertz/Avis so by July 2008 when that model was WAYYY out of date they came back on forecourts as "The Fleet is back" sales.

If you do not research your car then you might be sold one of these cars.

We all need these idiots at this time of the year. IF you really need a new reg get on down to the autofactors and get them to make you one up , 11 D 1111, then you will be the greatest person in your estate , for the time being anyway .but alas time marches on.

Nothing but a Troll for that comment.

With the motor trade the way it is, you'll help loads, won't ya?

Well unless there's overnight shipping from a car plant in Japan...FFS:mad:

Infraction given for trolling.

Read this post to understand why... :rolleyes:

@everyone else - please report the post rather than feeding the trolls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

What did you get after - Octavia VRs?

Advertisement