Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad in 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ha. On recovery legs in the dark.. I don't think so. 1st stretch is fairly muddy but you'll be fine in racing flats KC, trust me :)
    Racing flats? I was going to do this one barefoot, like the real mountain men of old. :)
    Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Rest day for the first time in a long time. I'd like to run but with the hill race tomorrow its no harm to have some freshness I suppose.

Total for day: 0
    No. of days running this year: 35 Total Mileage: 305.83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Rest day for the first time in a long time. I'd like to run but with the hill race tomorrow its no harm to have some freshness I suppose.

Total for day: 0
    No. of days running this year: 35 Total Mileage: 305.83

I bet you won't be able to sit still. Bet that you'll do a quick 5k headtorch or treaddie before the day is out...:p

Was tempted, but minding the kids now whilst eating some chips.. now thats my kind of carb loading.

Linky: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/24061622

Very little to be said having read Krusty's excellent race report but here goes my prespective..

Race organisation went well but I was still nervous in the days leading up to today that everything was sorted. In the end it was and thanks to the other volunteers and the weather (thanks God).. it was a great day.

Annacurra is way off the beaten track. I was shocked to find we'd 172 registered runners. Funnily enough though we have the perfect set up for a race - with an indoor hall for registration, the race start/finish, parking and pub all beside each other. So it worked out well.

To look at, the hill above Annacurra, is not deserving of much comment. Running it though you need to give it respect. Its not in the viewing, its in the doing...

Starting from row 1 on the grid is the priviliege of the old geezer giving the pre-race speech :rolleyes:, but I set off running conservatively knowing that a too-fast start on a hill can cause lactic failure later.

Ran in and around Martin Francis until the rough trail up the hill at which stage I continued a slow jog while he employed the walk / hands on quads strategy. I so wanted to walk though and had to fight the suggestions my brain was feeding me. At the top it was a fast downhill but I was conscious about giving it too much as, with local knowledge, I knew what was in stake up ahead. Mr Francis went barrelling past. Another 2 runners just ahead where within reach as we started into the nasty 2nd hill which had felled timber debris and muck to manouvere around.

I really really wanted to walk on the 2nd hill, but I battled the feeling. Finally the hill gradient eased to a reasonable slope and the legs started to feel like legs again. I was encouraged by PositiveNegative, marshalling at the top of the hill, and on the downhill I managed to make up 3 places - even though I wasn't really going all out. The downhill is still nearly out of control fast though! My stomach was feeling iffy and I wasn't sure if I was going to finish or have to take a detour into the trees :o The trees got a visit post race though!

Nevertheless, local knowledge crucially kept me going in the final few k as I also knew the optimal racing line and with a sneaky look over the shoulder I knew there wasn't anyone breathing down my neck and could relax slightly.

Crossed the line in 107% of the Jason Reid's first place time - Congrats Jason. Chuffed. Didn't realise until I was reading the results in the pub that I was 1st M40 home. Doubly chuffed.

A favourable run result, a favourable Liverpool result, a favourable Ireland result, a few cheap pints and some pizza and I'm happy. Life is good. Got home to find, through the wizardy that is imra, the results are already online. Check out
    here

Good to hook up with the other boardsies later to shoot the breeze.

4:36k pace for a 10.5k race with 420m of ascents ;)
    36 days running this year, 313.04 miles

• Advertisement

Headed out this morning with the dog so a long slow run around the roads wasn't an option. Decided to head up the hill and run the race route yesterday in recovery mode. Foggy and cooler this morning and lots of footsteps in the mud to show the way. Body wasn't cooperating early on but got into the groove and managed to run, albeit very slowly, all the climbs. Legs were sore from yesterday so all out downhills were never going to happen. Just took it easy. Finished the race route with a loop of Annacurra wood to avoid the Sunday mass goers. An hour gone, what to do now? How about another go :o... Dragged my yet more uncooperative body up that damned hill a second time. At the top I decided not to tempt fate and went straight on, so followed last year's race route on the 2nd go on the hill. Going downhill on the felled timber was a very careful walking process. I'm glad we were going uphill on that yesterday. Jogged the downhill slowly enough. Just over 20k in less than 2 hrs. That'll do nicely.

20.15k, 5:44 pace, 804m ascents
    37 days running this year, 325.56 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Great result there SJ. You getting better with age

God bless those compression tights. Whilst my walking style was a little iffy this morning, once I put the skins on at lunchtime the legs felt reasonably okay for an easy paced run with I did with 2 others from work. When you're chatting away the time flies.

This afternoon the legs were sore. Sitting stuck at a computer all day doesn't help. Still, by the time I got home I was determined to finish out 15k for the day, so up on the treadmill with me. Legs started to feel progressively better so eased up the pace towards the end.

Lunch: 8.75k, 4:39 pace, 81m ascents
    pm: 6.33k, 4:44 pace, 1.5 gradient
    Total for day: 9.37 miles
    38 days running this year, 334.93 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

God bless those compression tights. Whilst my walking style was a little iffy this morning, once I put the skins on at lunchtime the legs felt reasonably okay for an easy paced run

+1, have my skins about 6 weeks, really noticing the dfference recovery wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

SJ you could have warned me :-0 Saturday left me a total wreck today. I got through 15 miles ok yesterday, but could only shuffle thru 6 this evening at 8:30 mile pace. We did get 2nd team though.

• Advertisement

You'll get used to it ;). The quads can be fairly unforgiving the next day or so after. Fair play for getting through 15 yesterday.

Had to make the best use of limited time available to me today so a 2 run strategy it was:-

Felt ponderous enough on 1st run, but was flying it on the 2nd. Didn't make much sense but I'm not complaining.

Morning: 6.23k, 4:30 pace, 90m ascents
    Lunch: 6.77k, 4:09 pace, 57m ascents
    Total for day: 8.08 miles
    39 days running this year, 343.01 miles

I won't make a habit of this but whilst the going is good...

Nice run at lunchtime. Pushed the pace a bit and felt good.

Evening, an easy paced run by torchlight. Slowed deliberately at times I felt pace increasing. Felt very easy throughout and legs feel fine after.

Lunch: 9.25k, 4:23 pace, 86m ascents
    Evening: 7.03k, 4:58 pace, 73m ascents
    Total for day: 10.12 miles
    40 days running this year, 353.13 miles

Got to Charlesland early evening and it was still bright. Hurray. A warm up around the roads first then onto track for 4 x 1k. Was annoyed to run the guts of the first 1k without having hit the lap button so that rep was lost. Subsequent reps went by without incident. Didn't realise I was progressively speeding up k by k but felt good at the end.

Splits: 3:43, 3:37, 3:34, 3:28 :D

Haven't tried these splits before, but I think I'll do them more often. Doing 400s and stuff doesn't sit well with me. I might as well be doing k's more often if I'm ultimately training for the longer distance.

11.74k, 4:22 pace, 49m ascents
    Total for day: 7.29 miles
    41 days running this year, 360.42 miles

Not a whole lot to report. Speculated about having a rest day, but didn't feel tired and wanted to run, but was busy today and didn't get home til evening so Treadie was best compromise available. Did it reasonably fast to get it over with. Treadmills and enjoyment don't go together.

10k, 4:12 pace, 1.5 gradient
    Total for day: 6.21
    42 days running this year, 366.63 miles

An LSR was needed and the morning was as good as you get so headed out the backroads without a real plan as to where to go. Lots of route options where I live so it was a case of eenie, meanie, miney, moo.. and ended up heading out a road I don't often run. 10k out crumbling backroads to the old Wicklow gap pub. I was slow getting into my stride and this section was mainly uphill so the avg pace on this was: 5 min/k. Turned around and headed back, taking in marvellous views of the hills on my left and ahead. Lugnacoille was white as was Croaghanmoira. The hills were favourable this time but I didn't want to run them hard - it was an LSR after all. The next 10k pace was a nice 4:32 min/k. My target for the run was 28k, so another 8k to pick off on flatter backroads near my house. Felt the pace picking up again almost involuntary. Last 8k was done in 4:21 min/k pace. Ran solidly all the way through and very happy with it. Once I stopped though I was walking like an old man! :rolleyes:

28.2k, 4:40 pace, 346m ascents
    Total for day: 17.52 miles
    43 days running this year, 384.16 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

An LSR was needed and the morning was as good as you get so headed out the backroads without a real plan as to where to go. Lots of route options where I live so it was a case of eenie, meanie, miney, moo.. and ended up heading out a road I don't often run. 10k out crumbling backroads to the old Wicklow gap pub. I was slow getting into my stride and this section was mainly uphill so the avg pace on this was: 5 min/k. Turned around and headed back, taking in marvellous views of the hills on my left and ahead. Lugnacoille was white as was Croaghanmoira. The hills were favourable this time but I didn't want to run them hard - it was an LSR after all. The next 10k pace was a nice 4:32 min/k. My target for the run was 28k, so another 8k to pick off on flatter backroads near my house. Felt the pace picking up again almost involuntary. Last 8k was done in 4:21 min/k pace. Ran solidly all the way through and very happy with it. Once I stopped though I was walking like an old man! :rolleyes:

28.2k, 4:40 pace, 346m ascents
    Total for day: 17.52 miles
    43 days running this year, 384.16 miles

Sounds like a great run: Lovely morning, lovely scenery, feeling strong, heaven.

Arthur Lydiard maintains he used to train his runners aerobically until they could run effortlessly and tirelessly. That sounds almost like one of those runs. Well done.

Was out for dinner last night but felt okay this morning and the morning was crying out for a run. Recovery pace was all that was required after the LSR yesterday. Did a medium sized loop centred on Aughrim via quiet backroads. Had to remind myself to slow on occasion and my average today is overall too fast, but it felt easy and I took it handy on the hilly bits, so happy enough.

13.39k, 4:46 pace, 225m ascents
    Total for day: 8.32 miles
    44 days running this year, 392.48 miles

A very good running week for me.
    107k or 66 miles this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice to have a 100k+ week under the belt, I'm 5 - 6 weeks off that yet!

I won't be running 100k this week.. hill race this weekend so rest day on Friday I reckon.

No opportunity to run earlier today. This evening was depressingly dark and raining and running on the backroads wasn't a palatable option. The treadmill it had to be. An advantage of doing an LSR on Saturday is you need not be in recovery mode on Monday so maintained a decent pace for 12k, the last 3 of which were racked up to 4 min/k pace. Note to self. If planning a treadmill run ring ahead and ensure the heating isn't on in the room were the treadie is located.

12k, 4:12 pace, 1.5 gradient
    Total for day: 7.46 miles
    45 days running this year, 399.93 miles

• Advertisement

Run before work this morning in the freezing cold. Recovery paced initially as the legs were a wee bit stiff. Picked it up slightly thereafter but kept the pace nice and easy. Did another flavour of my regular work loop up Newtownpark Ave, across N11 around Foxrock and back via Kill O the Grange. Felt good throughout.

12k, 4:45 pace, 147m ascents
    Total for day: 7.49 miles
    46 days running this year, 407.43 miles

Think I passed you driving through Glen o' Downs this morning (7:20ish), seen this floresent yellow glow, like something from Sprinfield eminating from your car - obviously you were primed and ready to go!

Wasn't me... I drive in as far as Cabinteely and set out from there...

You were in the car rather than the hard shoulder if it was you ;)

I won't guess the speed you were going to pass me so ;)

Met up with some pals in Shangannagh and headed out for some circuitous laps around the paths and fields before light faded. My pals are training for Cork and wanted to do something marathon pace. There were going for a 20ker but I was happy to do 15. Consistent splits from first til last, not bad considering the mucky terrain in places and holding a conversation most of the time. Running with company is definitely better than running solo.

15k, 4:13 pace, 64m ascents
    Total for day: 9.4 miles
    47 days running this year, 416.83 miles

Got out at lunchtime with the intention of doing something relatively easy expecting to be sorer after yesterday evenings run. Surprised myself to find I was running fairly easy and progressively upped the pace with relative easy. Great running conditions too. 11.25k. Job done.

This evening, I needed a de-stresser so got out for a recovery 7k. Icy cold, but took it slow and handy in headtorch mode. Felt good running with the stars and crescent moon.

Lunch: 11.23k, 4:23 pace, 71m ascents
    pm: 7.05k, 5:02 pace, 83m ascents
    Total for day: 11.36 miles
    48 days running this year, 428.19 miles

Yesterday: Rest day. Only the 2nd one this year. Didn't feel tired but was a sensible precaution to take it easy with the imra race today.

Today: A nice sunny clear frosty morning greeted me. Headed off to Tibradden stopping on the way for a takeaway coffee (caffeine boost!). Headed up the trail and did a 5k easy warmup.

The race itself went very well for me. I've never run here before so not knowing the route must have worked in my favour. At 11k in length the distance wasn't going to be a problem for me with the 1000 mile challenge in my legs. The frosty conditions weren't so much a problem for me, but others were to suffer from twists, cuts and grazes.

The salomon speed cross 2s working a treat. The initial climb up Tibraddden was reasonably gradual by imra race standards and I was well up the field. It was on nice trails and stepping stones too. I wasn't pushing the pace though. I was consciously trying to run an even pace and keep enough in the can for the out and back route.

A pretty technical and fast descent was followed by a technical but not too steep climb to Fairy castle. Coming off Fairy castle I was overtaken by Ben Mooney but I managed to hang onto him despite another bit of a climb - his fortee - and I overtook him on the next descent. I avoided being overtaken from then on.

It was fast and furious from there over the same route we took on the outward section. Concentration was the watch word to keep your feet.. avoiding the icy bits and the bigger, frosty stones. Ahead of me I saw a runner fall but pick himself up and he was never really in danger of me catching him, though the results show I wasn't too far away..

I never once looked back so had no clue if I was being closely pursued or not. Indeed I hadn't a clue how many were ahead of me either. With a last burst of speed I crossed the line and looked at the finisher sheet to see my name as 7th. I thought happy days! Later it transpired that a few finishers ahead of me were juniors and my actual position was 4th - my best ever imra finish. Also finished 1st M40 for the 2nd race running. Chuffed with the result. Particularly as I managed to hold out ahead of the likes of Ben, Martin Francis, Paul Mitchell, Gerry Lalor etc. It shows that I must be doing something right in training. Happy days.

Splits: 4:55, 5:55, 3:46, 5:21, 5:20, 4:05, 4:33, 3:59, 4:41, 3:47, 3:06 :eek:
    Avg: 4:31... probably my best ever pace in a hill race.

Warmdown run afterwards 3.2k

2 hours after I got home I met up with donothoponpop and did 6.4k at what was supposed to be recovery pace. The adrenaline must have been in the system as I was still averaging 5:06 min/ks. An LSR is in the schedule for tomorrow. I'll play it by ear as to how the body feels in the morning.

Total for day: 16.04 miles
    49 days running this year, 444.23 miles

Great running Slogger and well deserved - with a 3:06 k, I won't be able to relax in the next F4L

• Advertisement

I just need to find a Fit 4 life race with a long downhill bit :rolleyes:

Advertisement