Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad in 2010

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Gutted also Mick. Your never injured
    I am sure sub 3 will come for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hope it works out for ya Mick - you'll be surprised how race day adrenaline can make the pain go away - be sensible though, plenty of other opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I’d run a lot this year (nearly 2,200 miles) and generally ran well so I was looking forward to Dublin as an opportunity for a potential PB. A sub 3 attempt beckoned after 3:01:xx last year. This plan lay in ruins during the week when I picked up a groin strain out of nowhere and the prospect of not even starting was a real eventuality. I would have kicked myself not to have attempted to run and get a finish on the board at least. I was signed up as part of the great Wicklow Hospice Foundation group, more than 130 runners from around Wicklow raising money for this fine cause. I’d feel I’d be letting my sponsors down if I didn’t even try run, even though I was getting advice from various quarters not to run. Tried various things to help cure it. Lots of hot baths. Deep heat rubs. Ice cubes. And no running in recent days. Would it have the desired effect?

Anyway, to the big day. It’s strange to start a marathon with no pace plan. I’d no idea how the body would hold up so it was a case of starting and see what happens. Started near the 3 hr pacing group. Had no expectation of staying in that vicinity but started at a reasonable click. No major discomfort in the early stages. As I approached the 10k mark the dull pain in the groin was growing but it was at a level that I could get on with. Ran within myself. Scarcely looked at the watch at all in the race. Ran by feel really.
    The race flew by. Took an isogel approaching the halfway mark. The fact that you can drink these gels back is good in my book. No water required. At each of the water stops I literally took 1 sip of water and that was it. Half way was a lot quicker than I would have expected considering the injury at c. 1:35ish but we all know that the marathon really only starts thereafter.

I could feel the pace dropping but I didn’t really care. I was getting more confident of actually finishing which was the new goal since Weds last. Some familiar faces passed me. I was locked in my own world. The pain in the groin dulled but was replaced by other emerging pains which the marathon likes to give you. Mainly quads. Again it was all bearable and I continued on. Saw some boardsies in passing including dp near Clonskeagh. Took my 2nd gel around this point. The miles continued to go by relatively quickly. I wasn’t mile post or clock watching which helped. Got up the hill and onto the N11 without any incident and from there it was a case of digging in for the next 6 or 7k. My pace was ponderous at this stage but at no time did I cramp or feel like walking. There must be something to the carb depletion / carb loading stuff I did this week. Seemed to work for me at least.

Had to smile at the buzz in the crowd when the 3:15 pacers went by me like a train heading towards Ballsbridge. Well done pacers and paces alike. A real Boards success that.

I was slow running along Nassau St. But, I was able to enjoy it and take in the atmosphere. Got a shout of encouragement from Bill Porter near the end. Crossed the line in 3:19:47. Some 18 mins off my best but I was still chuffed to do it. Afterwards, while I got cold very quickly I didn’t cramp (again unusual for me) – due to the carbs again?

Pre race my weight had gone up marginally to 68.5. Weighed myself when I was cleaning up this evening and my post race weight was a mere 65kgs. That’s what a marathon does to you.

Garmin measured 43:12. Pace: 4:38. Post race afterglow and carb loading begins. I’ll give running a miss for a week or 2 at least to try to ease away the soreness / any injury concerns. Afterwards I have full body tiredness but no discernable bad reaction from the groin.

7th DCM in a row and 22nd marathon in total. This was well up there in terms of overall enjoyment of any marathon I did, despite the injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Well done lad, great report there, def take the rest over next week or two, there's no rush back to it, you'll be flying up those hills again in no time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done mick...fair pay for doing it anyway....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

SJ - Very respectible time considering you were nearly not going to start. Onwards 2011 beckons. Thanks for all the great race reports this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Well that must have been a tough race. Really gutted for you - I was convinced you were going to nail that last minute and set a cracking PB. But that fitness is all still there, couple of weeks off and a sneaky winter marathon to put us all to shame maybe?

Great run and race under the circumstances, congrats again

Ha, those videos make for funny viewing. Don't know what kind of stride pattern I'm running with :)

I haven't run since the marathon and I'm starting to feel fresh. Will probably do some easy runs during the week before the Powerscourt Ridge race next Saturday.

Today I brought 2 of my boys and joined up with dpop and kids for our first ever orienteering event. It was a blast. The course was short (easiest one available), then my kids were but 8 and 10, but some of the terrain was rough but epic in its own way. Views were great off the side of the hill, particularly from control 1 back along up the valley to where the Glenmacnass river was in full spate off the hills.

The yellow course was fairly handy and marked in places. The kids enjoyed the adventure of it all and splish splashed through the puddles. Lots more walking than running.

A brilliant event and the kids want to do more. Would be keen to try it out myself too at some stage. Next event I believe is at 3 Rock next week.

The format of the event is simple. 10 controls to find (at the easy level we did). You can start anytime between the advertised start range (11am to 1pm today). The control info is held on a 'SI' stick that gets downloaded at the finish point and you get a print out of your times. Simple but brilliant. Lots and lots of work go into making these events successful, theres no doubt. Thanks all.

1408E1710061402E86116A8F7D129316-0000332535-0002004811-00800L-733DDD014E5C445C92640E791E06B0C0.jpg

67832D97386D4650A2CF94322A3BE55D-0000332535-0002004812-00800L-1B35B0A7BCED4F1189A9CA3ACB53CCC8.jpg

• Advertisement

A week since my last run. Feeling refreshed. Got out this evening for an easy 8.3k mixed trail and road road to the far side of Aughrim and back. Light rain and wind. Headtorch lit the way through the forest and street lights on the paths of Aughrim. No one around. Felt great to be out. Despite the marathon being a week ago there is still some residual soreness in the quads. Will probably do a couple more easy runs this week and make a call whether to run Powerscourt Ridge this Saturday. 4:43 pace.

Powerscourt Ridge pretty much marks the end of the year from a hill running perspective. It’s one of the toughest races on the calendar but it has its charms too. For me it brings mixed feelings. I usually look forward to it, then curse it while I’m doing it and afterwards have a glow of satisfaction having done it.

According to my garmin the race measures some 15.3k. The route is pretty unrelenting. Starting at Crone c.160m above sea-level you will climb to the top of Maulin (570m) within 3k, over mixed trail road then open mountain. Coming off Maulin on a rough track you descend to the footbridge that crosses the Dargle, above Powerscourt Waterfall. The scenery – when you can take it in – is to die for. From the Dargle its another 3 or so k to the top of Djouce and you climb nearly 400m in that stretch. All the running to and from Djouce are on mixed ground – grass, rock and rough track all in there. Over the top of Djouce you go down to the Wicklow way turn, and turning left you follow the Wicklow way around Djouce, 3.5k back to the footbridge on the Dargle, up a nasty 60m climb before you are pretty much on fire road to the finish, 3.25k or so descending all the way to where you started. Phew.
    Weather was glorious. The calm before the expected Sunday storm. A great crowd of runners gathered. Must have been at least a hundred.

I’ve had 3 runs since the Dublin Marathon. The longest of which was around 9k. Not sure how the body would react to today’shenanigans.

Off we went and Brian McMahon, a recent 2:24 finisher in the Dublin marathon set off with great intent and left us in his wake. He’d go on to win handy enough but the record for the route set by Barry Minnock 2 years ago still remains.

I set off at an even pace at the back of a lead bunch of about 20 runners. The steep climb to Maulin reduced me to walking in parts but such was the case for most. Bernard Fortune, returning to racing from an injury break went past me easily on this climb. The run off Maulin is a blast, but you need to watch your step through the muddy rocky strewn path. I lost ground to a couple of flyers on this section, but gained it again just before the footbridge on the Dargle by taking a faster line near the bottom. A steady jog did the job up the steep climb on the other side. Maintained a slow but steady gait up most of Djouce and ran a lot of the way here with Greg Byrne, chatting away at times and unconsciously probably egging each other on. A couple of Northern runners slowly went by us near the top of Djouce, the downhill from which was another blast. Regained a place before the Wicklow way boardwalk. Held my ground running around Djouce and down towards the Dargle but had difficulty from stinging sweat in the eyes. Not good having blurred vision when you are running fast on uneven ground. Greg appeared from nowhere on the final stretch to the Dargle footbridge and eked out a lead as he continued running up the short steep section on the far side as I was reduced to a walk again. The final 3ish k to the finish was all out. All out knackered, but try to keep going. Closed the gap on Greg and we managed to overtake another runner in the meantime.

Finished in 15th, only 2 secs behind him. My time was 86:35 which was nearly 4 mins faster than last year and a PB for me on this race. Winning time was 73:41 !! Total climb 846m of hurting. Knackered afterwards, but happy.

I was considering a recovery trail run this morning but as I stepped from the bed my legs were extremely leaden. As the morning was fairly calm I decided to rest the legs and head out on the bike. Did a fairly comfortable cycle of c. 33k in 81 mins. Headed out backroads and along the Aughrim river towards Woodenbridge. Very scenic along this route. Headed up towards Avoca and the Meeting of the Waters, before branching left to Ballinclash and back towards Aughrim. Great day for a cycle. Cool with little wind. Legs feel a lot better for having done something.

I've been ticking over doing short easy runs but the body is still not 100%. Its not one particular problem but a little collection. The aches move around the body. Must be a sign of age :rolleyes:

Signed up at Laragh yesterday late yesterday afternoon and got the bus with a geansy load of walkers to the start of the challenge route at Crone wood. Conditions were pretty good. Cool, calm and cloud clearing. We would experience some light drizzle but nothing major, so the weather gods were with us.

The 1st bunch of walkers headed off on their challenge. I'd been asked to hold back til near 6 o'clock until they had the full course marshalling in place. Another runner arrived at the start, a girl from Roundwood. Another 4 runners arrived just before 6. I was expecting to see a couple more I knew but they must have been on a later bus. We took off just before 6 following the Wicklow way through Crone wood, zig zagging up past the viewing point over the Powerscourt Waterfall. Couldn't see anything but could hear the roar of the water. I was running up front on my own at a comfortable pace. Easing past walkers that had started ahead with a 'hi'. Oh look a runner, they'd say or Fair play to you.

I was wearing my trusty ultrafire headtorch. I also had a back-up of the torch from my bike which works as an effective handtorch and I would use that when visibility was down or ground conditions were treacherous. The 2 torch strategy worked well.

Heading down the WW way towards the Dargle bridge and up the other side was memorable. All along here there were groups of walkers. It was like one big torchlight procession. Got nice support along here.

I was still running easy and the intention was to run all the way, whether the body was up to it or not was another thing. Turning up towards Djouce the groups of walkers were thinning out. It got a bit foggy on this stretch. I was glad of the extra torch at times. There was little chance of going wrong on route in any case. Mountain rescue had put out lots of little marking flags along the route in addition to the conventional wicklow way markings. Also, in areas of tracks, where there were junctions, they had paths blocked off leaving only the main path choice free. Navigation was as easy as it could be therefore.

Around the flank of Djouce the ground conditions were messy. My tummy was playing up along this stretch and had to take a call of nature. The brunch at 3pm even if wasn't a big meal was probably the cause. Progress was slow around here in any event as the ground were very rough.

Onto the boardswalks. Another highlight. Greeted some mountain rescue guys at the 90 degree left turn which would bring me towards Lough Tay. Knew one of them from work. Keep on trucking he said. The going was good and fast here. Only interupted by the odd group of walkers as passing was difficult at times with boggy ground on either side.

The moon wasn't get a chance to break out from the could cover which was a pity. Running conditions were great though. Stomach cramps hit again and I had to sidestep into the forest again for a few moments. Back on track I passed through the 1st control at Lough Tay and handed over one of the control cards with my no. on it. These control cards would tell the marshalls how many and who had passed through their checkpoint. Simple but very effective. Water and other refreshments were on offer. A sip or 2 of water and I kept going.

Road section followed but turning right into the forest that would eventually lead towards Oldbridge. For IMRA Wicklow Way relayers this would be relay let 3. A nice leg it is too. Running along this section the lights of Roundwood were in evidence down to your left. I was joined on this stretch by Brian Crinion who was running and said Paul Mahon was close behind. They had started c. 5 mins behind me but had caught up. Once Paul caught us the 2 guys stretched out a lead on me and were gone. I was happy to run easy. In any event as I turned onto the road section that would pass through Oldbridge I was slowing considerably.

The body was sending me signals. It wanted a bail out but it was just me and the challenge, no one else to help. I hated this road section. Body was sore and the inov8s I had on while great for the trails were miserable on the road. It was babysteps at times on the short steep road section. A quick look at the garmin showed nearly 20k done. It was hard work but nearly there.

Turning up a track off the road again the progress was very slow but progress nonetheless. I ran, what is the start of the IMRA scarr race, at a snailspace. While the Scarr race route goes straight through a gateway, the Wicklow way turns left which I followed. I was in new territory for me now, having never ran this section before. It was a case of steady as she goes along this section. The track was okay and it was for the most part fairly flat. And at least the inov8s were back on their terrain of choice.

Markers brought us off the Wicklow way and in the distance you could see flood lights where the mountain rescue base was. It seemed close. The marked trail turned left away from the as-the-crow-flies route, but turned back on track again. This was mainly downhill but the body couldn't really take advantage of it as the accumulated soreness from the run was taking its toll. A brief road section followed before I entered the final 100 yards or so to stop at the new mountain rescue base in Laragh. Job done.

My finish time was c. 2:35. Beforehand I was guessing it might be around 2:30 so not too bad. Paul Mahon was first to finish in a time of c. 2:15. Not long after I finished the girl from Roundwood finished. It I didn’t dig in and continue to run when I did she would surely have passed me near the end. A very good run by her.

It must have been a late night for the mountain rescue. God knows what time the last walkers finished.

I wasn’t in good shape afterwards. Once I stopped it was very cold and all my clothes were wet either from earlier rain or sweat build up. It wasn’t until I got back to the car and got into dry warm clothes that I started to come alive again. It’s a pity as they had a great old spread of food at the rescue base for finishers that I wasn’t able to take advantage of.

Take a bow mountain rescue for a very well organised event. I’d recommend this to everyone and I hope it happens again. I was glad to be able to do a small bit for them in terms of fundraising. Thank you contributors. Karma and all that.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57392832

This morning I got out for some recovery work on the MTB in the teeming rain. It took a while for the legs to function but felt great after a while, particularly on the downhill.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/57412704

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice report SJ and a great run - we must plan another trot in hills by torch light.

Picking up where I left off in 2009. '09 was a good running year for me. If I do half as well in 2010 I'll be happy.

The primary objective is to enjoy my running and continue to be fighting fit. Goal races for the year so far are the Connemara marathon and the Dingle marathon. The Conn marathon should mean I tick over nicely on the 2010 version of the 1000 mile challenge. I waived a New York entry to this year too, but whether I'll be able to afford an NY trip remains to be seen.

I'd like to keep plugging away on the hills, although it'll be a big stretch to be able to do as many races as last year. It would be good to see more Boards runners in the mix at races.

The 2010 year in review

Well I enjoyed my running, until the last 2 months that is when it became a bit of a slog when you're running through injury. All in all though its been great.

I ran marathons in Conn, Dingle and Dublin and enjoyed them all.
    I was even M40 winner in Conn.

I reached the 100 race mark with IMRA. I won Winter League for M40 and picked up trophies for the Leinster League, Irish Champs and Leinster Champs for M40 too. Best of all was the Wicklow way relay win with the boards team. What a day.

I had my best running year since I started. In my IMRA races I improved my average place and % of winner. I was consistently faster in races on routes that I ran before too which shows the benefit of year on year consistency. I've had good battles along with way and made good mates and had great days out.

I PBed in a half marathon in Enniscorthy too, so the running on the hills helped my overall form.

I managed to help out at a few races too which is always satisfying when they work out and people enjoy them.

Despite not really running in a month my log shows I've ran over 2,300 miles for the year. Hopefully my injury will be a short one and I'll get back to it in the new year. Onwards and upwards.

This log has been quiet for a while. Injury does that to you :mad: Got out for some MTB cycles in recent days with the arrival of a proper thaw. Decided to get out running today, taking it easy pace wise. Set out from the ford point on the Wicklow way on the route for WWR leg 7 with Timmay. Weather was cool but otherwise perfect for running. I was worried that the route might be waterlogged but it wasn't too bad. Ran all the way including the hill over from Kyle cross which is a toughy. This route has everything and is a fine prospective venue for a race. Its fully waymarked so doesn't need any further marking.. just needs someone to say 'go'. Some tough ups and evened out by some downs that you can really let go on. Nice run, nice company. Happy days. Feeling the effects of the run after but it was worth it. Training log signing out for 2010.

Advertisement