Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad in 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yesterday evening I had aproximately 43 mins to do a run so I squeezed as much as I could in. Started sluggishly but got into it. Was staying at the mother's in Kilcoole so headed towards Greystones and out onto the N11 link road and back. Got progressively faster and very happy with the session.
    10.1k, 4:12 pace, 161m ascents

Busy day in work today. Only option to run was this evening and thankfully the weather had settled some. Intended to run recovery pace but ended up doing a lot better than that despite the hilly backroad route I ran. Could have done with one of those running-bands with split times for the hills :rolleyes: Its nice to be able to run in the evening with the stretch of evening light we're having.
    9.53k, 4:32 pace, 213m ascents

86 days running this year
    778.90 miles ran this year

Yes.. long weekend. The first of 3 shortened weeks for me - with taking next Friday and Monday off for Conn, so bring it on.

Short run at lunch today with a mate who's halfway through his Cork marathon training. He wanted to do a tempo run but I just laughed. Anyhow, we still managed to chat our way through a decent pace before I headed back to work.
    8.2k at 4:20 pace, 85m of ascents

This evening I wanted to top out 15k for the day so jumped on treadie to do just that.
    7k at 4:44 pace, 1.5 gradient.

Total mileage for day: 9.46
    No. of days running this year: 87
    Total mileage ran: 788.36

Hooked up with donothoponpop in Tinahely for what was intended to be a gentle paced run around the new waymarked trails, which I'd already had a go at last Sunday. The weather was to make it a more difficult affair today with rain falling incessantly, cold temperatures and muddy and sodden ground from recent days rain. Still, it was a great run to start the weekend and the run and chatting made the run go faster perception-wise. From the start of Mangan's lane in Tinahely its aprox 2k to the trail head, then its a case of following the new arrows in an anti-clockwise direction for a run on mixed ground - single track, muddy trails, some tarmac lane and forest track, before the main climb from the townland of Kyle up the back of Ballycumber.

Big temptation to walk in parts but we hung in there, kept it kicking over up and along the ridge on the hill where we encountered the strangest thing for this time of the year. SNOW. Drifts of snow on our path, up to a foot deep in places, made for difficult and interesting running for a time. Made the feet all the more colder. The hands were bloody freezing too. Theres a nice downhill off this run too but I could have lived without the 2k bit on the tarmac road at the end. Tarmac road and inov8s aren't the most compatible. D'pop sprinted off the last 2k piece ahead of me while I was happy to canter to the end. Very happy to get into dry clothes after. A great run though and will look forward to it in better weather :o

This would make for a great race route. Or, failing that a route for a Boards hill running getogether at some point.

17.26k, 5:57 pace, 603m ascents
    88 days running this year
    799.08 miles ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

D'pop sprinted off the last 2k piece ahead of me while I was happy to canter to the end.

This was a purely psychological tactic to make you think I'm fitter than I am. Well aware that you held back for me on the climbs, which I found very hard:o

But you're right about it being a natural race route, its a great loop, whatever the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This would make for a great race route. Or, failing that a route for a Boards hill running getogether at some point.
    Sounds good. Then all back to your place or Donothoponpop's for a bbq?! Great of you guys to offer. :) So much for a taper! A hilly 10+ mile run? (I still refuse to be a johnny foreigner cheese eating surrender monkey Thierry Henry lovin' metric boy).

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Then all back to your place or Donothoponpop's for a bbq?! Great of you guys to offer. :) So much for a taper! A hilly 10+ mile run? (I still refuse to be a johnny foreigner cheese eating surrender monkey Thierry Henry lovin' metric boy).

Sounds like a facebook page to become a fan of :D

Out with the dog before breakfast this morning for a 10k ish run around the local trails. Surprising amount of people about which was a bit of pain.. having to keep the dog on the leash doesn't quite work in terms of a good running gait. Felt I was running well, within myself and reasonably fresh despite the hills encountered yesterday.

This mornings run was a joy, for 2 things in particular. A seamless view from the back of the hill to a shimmering white Lugnacoille. I stopped to admire it for a minute - it was the least I could do. The only sound was that of my own heartbeat (pounding after the uphill effort) and the faint baaing of the lambs in the fields down below. The other thing which I've never encountered before was a low level fog on the sun-ward side of the hills. It was like the sun was making steam rise up from the cold earth. It made for great downhill running.

10.32k, 4:38 pace, 294m ascents
    89 days running this year
    805.50 miles ran.

Family day today so very little time to run. Just about managed to negotiate 45 mins. Reckoned on squeezing in the same run as yesterday, a hill trail loop thats becoming an old friend, but today ran it in the opposite direction. Ran well on the ups and the down looked after itself. Very happy to register 5 sub 4 min ks on the downward stretch, some of which weren't quite downhill and were mucky underfoot. Its great to spin the legs without a great deal of effort. Great day for it. Another smiley runner day.

10.31k, 4:25 pace, 266m ascents (odd to have 30m of difference from yesterday despite the self same route)
    90 days running this year
    811.90 miles ran.

Family day today so very little time to run. Just about managed to negotiate 45 mins. Reckoned on squeezing in the same run as yesterday, a hill trail loop thats becoming an old friend, but today ran it in the opposite direction. Ran well on the ups and the down looked after itself. Very happy to register 5 sub 4 min ks on the downward stretch, some of which weren't quite downhill and were mucky underfoot. Its great to spin the legs without a great deal of effort. Great day for it. Another smiley runner day.

10.31k, 4:25 pace, 266m ascents (odd to have 30m of difference from yesterday despite the self same route)
    90 days running this year
    811.90 miles ran.

Remember your whole week should be like this. No more "planned on doing an easy 5k but felt good so held on for 36k w last 12k @ 3:45 pace. No no no. Lots of Bakugan this week, little distance.

I usually do a half marathon distance the week before a marathon, but the opportunity didn't present itself until this morning. Not ideal with only 6 days left but life's not perfect sometimes.

Windy conditions from the off which made things difficult. Hope this isn't a glimpse of weather we'll see next Sunday. My route this morning was hilly enough - a nice way to prep for Conn. The hills this morning, if anything, were probably more than I'll face next week. Ran pretty well and on the new downhill bits I was able to speed up (some 4 minute ks). The sections with head wind weren't fun. A case of head down and grin and bear it. Finished with another short uphill and downhill against the wind. Very happy with pace considering the hills and wind, never mind the consecutive days running.

22.61k, 4:27 pace, 371m ascents (according to Sportstracks. Garmin connect says 425, but I'm inclined to trust the former)
    91 days running this year - an average of 9.1 miles a day ran.
    825.95 miles ran.

• Advertisement

If you wait long enough you might get some decent weather and thats what happened today.. which was horrible for the most part, but this evening was calm and nice. Pretty much the same run as last Tuesday but whereas then I pushed it progressively faster, this evening I deliberately held back the pace and ran fairly easy. The days before a marathon are strange. You want to be doing more but can't for obvious reasons.

10.04k, 4:36 pace, 180m ascents
    92 days running this year
    832.19 miles ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck for the race. Reading your log makes me jealous, what I wouldn't give to be stuck in the middle of the hills like you are.
    Having said that you seem to make the most of it. All that strength will stand to you come race time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Best of luck SJ.

Im gussing youre as strong as youve ever been before a race and youll relish he strenght and pacing challenges of this one. Bring your Apache war gear incase theres a couple of scalps in range on the run down to Maam!

Easy run around the sodden GAA pitches as the lads trained in the evening sunlight and sunshowers. 5 min k pace. Nice n handy.

8.08k, 83m ascents
    93 days running this year
    837.21 miles ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

best of luck slogger - you deserve it, you ve done some serious serious mileage and really upped your game this year

2005 was my first venture in Conn when I tried the half and ran 1:42. I was relatively new to running then so was well happy with the result.
    In 2006 I ran the full and finished in 3:41. If memory serves the weather was pretty bad that day and the 2nd half of the race for me were pretty miserable :rolleyes:
    In 2007 I came back for more and ran 3:39. A marginal improvement but it wasn't a good run again.
    In 2008 things clicked and on a fine day in Connemara I ran 3:17:30. That run compares well to any marathon I've run. Its no coincidence that 2008 was my first full year doing hill races and that has helped my marathon running enormously I feel.
    Gave it a break last year and here I am in 2010 back for more.
    This will be marathon no. 20 so its a nice milestone for me. Whatever happens I'll enjoy a weekend in what has always been a special place for us. The aim is to improve on the 2008 time and sure we'll see what happens. Good luck to fellow boardsies. My mate Aaron Turner will line up for the ultra again and he'll do well to beat his 4:58 from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Congrats on reaching 20 SJ. Best of luck, I'm really looking forward to your race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck with no. 20, fair play to you, can only hope that I might hit the magic number myself some day! Hope Conn goes well for you, your training has been inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Good luck Slogger Jogger, your in great form lately, your sure to run a great race.

An evening that was crying out for a run but I could only do a short one.. need to keep the energy for the weekend. Easy paced loop around the backroads. Let loose on a 2k piece to replicate the pace I hope to take in the outward half on Sunday. Feeling fresh and can't wait til Sunday. Weather is looking great which is is very encouraging.

8.42k, 4:39 pace, 152m ascents
    94 days of running
    842.44 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Good luck on Sunday Slogger. I'll watch out for you flying past me :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good luck SJ. You'll be finished long before I stumble over the finish line in a blaze of something glory like. Congrats on reaching marathon number 20. Might see you out there, somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Good luck on Sunday Mick - I'm sure it'll be an anotehr memorable run.

Arrived into Leenane and got 2 nice surprises. 1, theres a new wing onto the old hotel and we've a lovely brand new room with 'to die for' views of Killary harbour. 2, the weather is fab. Headed off straight away to shake the drive out of the legs, intending to do a very slow run. It was t shirt warm outside. Felt so good (endorphins?) that I ran a lot faster than intended.. perhaps trying to mimic some of my splits towards Leenane for the big day. Stopped on occasion to take in the scenery. Such a beautiful place. Complete rest Saturday.

7.2k, 4:20 pace, 30m ascents
    95 days of running
    846.94 miles

My 4th marathon in Connemara and my 20th overall. A nice milestone and it was one I was keen to enjoy and not to put myself under any pressures in terms of times etc. Some races are for PBs. Connemara ain’t one of them.
    The clan booked into the Leenane Hotel for the weekend and it was destined to be a great weekend. This is an old style hotel overlooking one of the finest views in the country (Killary harbour). An additional wing of new rooms have been added onto the hotel since the last time we stayed and we were lucky to be booked into the new part which was 1st class. A balcony view onto the harbour and across towards Ben Gorm. Priceless.

In recent marathons in Connemara I’ve completed the 1st half only to run into the throng of people who had just started the half marathon. I always felt that this slowed me down on those previous occasions so my plan this time was to go faster in the 1st half – the easier half – and try to get to Leenane before they had started, so the challenge was to do it in less than 90 minutes. More on that later.

Great weather greeted us on Sunday morning. The other half drove me from Leenane to Lough Inagh. A vagary of the Connemara logistics is that Leenane gets sadly overlooked in the transport grand scheme of things – Clifden, Oughterard and Galway are where it’s at for convenient transport.
    There was a very relaxed scene at Lough Inagh. The view across the lake was magical. I posted a photo on the Connemarathon event thread to show the ‘start line’ view. Chatted away with some fellow boardsies - great to put faces to the user names. Had a nice chat with the lady who was featured in the Irish Times who is aiming to complete her 100th marathon this year. A legend from the Slaney Olympic club in Wexford.

We cheered the first few ultra marathoners through our start line and pretty punctually at 10.30am Ray O’Connor set our race underway.

I ran comfortably and fairly within myself for the 1st half. Tried to take in the views as much as possible and leg the legs do their thing. My km splits were quicker than they needed to be but I wasn’t too concerned. My mantra was to get to Leenane and see what happens after that. At various stages in the 1st half I could see the tell tale bib of Athenry’s Mick Rice up ahead and unintentionally I managed to reel Mick in just as we got to Leenane. I knew that he would run close to a 90 minute split so having him ahead of me worked well by way of a target.

The family gave me a cheer as I ran through Leenane. Myself and Mick exchanged a few words running through the village. The half marathon hadn’t yet started, so the plan was working. On the hill out of Leenane Mick picked up a gear and went away from me. It must have been at least 1k on out of Leenane before the 1st half marathoner went steaming past. Soon after a regular stream of half marathoners went past. Shared some greetings with, and got great encouragement from, fellow boardsies and imra runners in the half contingent. My pace had reduced out of Leenane but I wasn’t too concerned at this stage although I was conscious of the headwind which was making the running that bit more of an effort in the growing heat.

My pace was generally okay until the 30k mark. From here things started to go awry. I don’t know if it was the effects of the heat or what but my pace started to fall markedly and I couldn’t do too much about it. My legs had started to ache too and I was regretting having worn racing flats which didn’t give much protection from the pounding on the uneven tarmac roads. I had the will power to run, albeit slowly, the hell of the west, but painful cramp set in the calf muscles and I had to stretch and try walk it off. Ironically I found running the downhill from the hill of the west and to the end harder than the uphill. I was obviously suffering badly from the heat and the last few k – flat and all as they were was a struggle.

Crossing the line my energy levels were close to zero and soon afterwards I found the first patch of ground I could – a wall near Peacocks – to stretch out prostrate on. Cramp was wracking the legs – quads, calf muscles, feet and the pain was pretty bad. I managed to shuffle back towards the buses but the marshall didn’t know of any plans for a bus to Leenane. Bumped into a few familiar faces including Mick Rice (him looking fresh, me with the life drained from my face). Met my mate Aaron who had run a great 5:01 in the ultra and he too, despite the extra 13 miles was a bubbly as ever. Anyways, after getting some nourishment on board in the hotel – a great spread of soup, sambos, fruit etc, I eventually managed to locate a bus heading to Leenane – the long way around via Clifden!

After race thoughts… pay more attention to the weather. A cap would have been handy. Carry a gel or two.. drinking water alone isn’t enough to ward off the heat. Pre-race nourishment with some sort of electrolyte drink probably would have helped too. Also, I needed to get more long runs in. High mileage with small to medium sized runs is no short cut to a marathon. The plan to go out fast was probably a mistake. When the good half marathoners are streaming past you in droves it can have a demoralising effect. It’s nearly better in retrospect to meet the half back-markers and for you to make your way through them at your own pace, it’s an altogether more positive thing, but maybe that’s just me

Despite feeling wrecked immediately after the race, a few hours later the life had returned to me.. particularly after some grub and a few drinks. I’ll remember my 20th marathon with more fondness than not. Another learning experience.
    42.44k, 339m ascents (according to Sportstracks), 4:39 pace

Recovery day:
    No running. After a drive back from Leenane I headed out on the bike to stretch the legs in non-impact mode. A 25k amble around the backroads on a lovely Wicklow evening, followed by a wince inducing ice cold bath :).

Great report to read SJ. What's striking is that after running 20 marathons, it's still a learning experience. I've no doubt whatsoever that you'll put some of that learning to good use in a sub 3 attempt later this year.

I look forward to hearing more about it out on the hills:)

Eased myself out this morning before work for an easy jog around the trails close to the house. I was surprised that while my calf muscles were sore to walk (initially), I was quite okay whilst jogging. For me, running soon after a marathon, particularly one where you've run sub-optimally in parts, is a good way of exorcising ghosts. Running this morning, even for however short was a good way for me to re-appreciate running again. Running through early morning forest full of birdsong is a very sweet experience, no matter how sore the legs are. Late this evening I managed another 4k around the same trails at a similar easy pace.

10.85k, 5.07 pace, 204m ascents
    97 days running this year
    880.06 miles total

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Great report Slogger, sounds like a heat was a big factor. I was worried about that for Rotterdam but turned out to be just about perfect if a little windy. You don't take your foot off the Gas your back running already. Good luck with your future races.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Mick, congrats again on number 20, and thanks for the fab report. One of the areas I suffered (and to an extent my OH too in the half) was that we never made any provision to take on any salt, on such a hot day (it would never have occurred to me), and I think it might have impacted our performances towards the latter part of the race. Sure, I grabbed a couple of half cups of lucozade sport, but this wasn't until very late (too late?) in the race, to be of any real use. Connemara always seems to be a learning experience for me!

• Advertisement

My little but often recovery from Conn continued today. While the good weather is with us I got out early and did a bit in the local forest trail, again delighting in the wonder of nature's morning. Got out for a bit at lunchtime too - a bit faster which surprised me but the legs felt up for it. Got to Bray this evening early to help with the imra race and I'd a spring in my step so did another sneaky 4k, taking a leaf from ultraman's book.

Calf muscles are sore to touch but running is okay on them. Was sensible enough not to try race the imra race this evening. I'd cramps in lots of muscles after Sunday's race. The calf muscles must have taken the worst toll. The worst pain on Sunday though I think was foot cramps. Ouch!

Aggregate 17.69k, 4.43 (avg) pace, 216m ascents
    98 days running this year
    891.05 miles total

Advertisement