Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running mad in 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A good start (to the week) is half the battle. Struggled a bit with the elements this morning ready for a short run before work. Didn't reckon with the icy pavements around Kill of the Grange. Running was slow and precarious at times. The advantage from the session was that I had to run slowly so it was a true recovery run.

8.4k, 5:10 pace

This evening I was still feeling reasonably fresh. As local slushy roads and trails weren't really an option in the dark the treadmill beckoned for another short session.

6.7k, 4:39 pace

Total for day: 15.1k
    No. of days run this year: 11 Total mileage: 99.06

The only opportunity to run today was during lunch when the gales were blowing and it was cold, but once you were moving it was okay. Some paths in suburbia were still slushy and the strong winds combined to slow the run at times, but when you had the wind behind you it was a different story :)

Weather worsened during day so I was happy later to have run when I did.

Total for day: 10.17k
    No. of days run this year: 12 Total mileage: 105.38

Same run as yesterday but in the opposite direction around the suburbs of Foxrock and Kill of the Grange. Today it was cold and wet but no wind to speak of so I could really see the effect of the gale and still icy pavements on yesterdays pace. Yesterday I did 4:34min/k. Today I managed 4:18 which I was very happy with. c. 90m of hills in there too.

Total for day: 10.2k
    No. of days run this year: 13 Total mileage: 111.72

No laptop access yesterday and before you know it you've slipped to page 4 of training logs :rolleyes:

Yesterday:
    Run around Cabinteely suburbs after work.
    Total for day: 11.58k, 4:39 min/k pace, 95m of ascents. Cold!

Today:
    No opportunity to run during day. Treadmill run at home. Felt tired but kept it going.
    10k at 4:17 min/k pace

No. of days running this year: 15 Total Mileage: 125.13

Headed off up the hill this morning with the dog. The snow had cleared from the lower forest and the roads leaving it very wet and muddy underfoot. The effect of the snow and ice on the roads is curious. In places the tarmac has fallen away or become spongey as a result I guess of a hard freeze and expansion from the thaw.

The upper trails in Annacurra still had snow. It was a thawing snow which was quite slippery in places, but I managed to keep a go-forward pace. Coming downhill was a delight and for once I was able to string together a few fast kilometers. Very happy with overall pace considering the climb and underfoot conditions.

Fabulous morning for running after a bad night of storms..

Today:
    10.5k at 4:53 min/k pace, 276m of ascent.
    No. of days running this year: 16 Total Mileage: 131.66

• Advertisement

Great day for running. No need for a jacket in warm sunshine (for a very nice change). Headed out the backroads towards Aughavannagh. The sight and sound of water was the most prevalent thing on this run. Water was everywhere. You could hear it all around you and see it coming off the hills, the fields, the gateways, across roads. The Ow river was in torrent and it had a din about it. Many potholes on the backroads to avoid and where it was sheltered there was still some thawing snow and ice. Headed out past ironbridge and turned having run out 11k. Headed back but had it in mind to do a hillier trail excursion on the way back. Heading up another road on the way back the sight of the green emerging from the countryside was fantastic. This was an LSR so I had to remind myself to ease the pace a few times. Took a turn up forest trials where the imra Annacurra race will run soon and found that there was still snow on the ground, so that slowed me down. A deer ran right across my path at one stage. Always brightens up the day that. Finished with a 3:45 split for a kilometre on a downhill before a little circuit of my neighbouring woods. Now for coffee and bagels.

Today:
    26.5k at 4:39 min/k pace, 481m of ascent :D
    No. of days running this year: 17 Total Mileage: 148.18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Reading your log makes my running so dull. Keep it up.
    Good controlled LSR.

Ran this morning before work. Very slow starting off as the body didn't want to move, but steadily it improved.

This evening, felt energic so finished out the 15 for the day by doing a bit on the treadmill. Legs a lot looser than this morning and the time flew.

Today:
    am 8.44k at 5:03 min/k pace, 91m of ascent
    pm 6.6k at 4:33 min/k pace, treadmill.
    Total: 15.04k

No. of days running this year: 18 Total Mileage: 157.52

My running options on Tuesday are very limited, so it was a necessity to run before work or not at all. Struggled to get going, but nearly managed to complete a 10k loop around Kill of the Grange and the N11. My alarm call was 6.30am. I can't understand how anyone could get up earlier to run... 6.30 is struggle enough for me at least. Anyways, despite 2 runs yesterday the legs felt ok. Nice to have some decent running weather back. Not too cold and quite calm. Happy not too be able to double up this evening. Does this count as a 'rest' evening :).

Today:
    am 9.6k at 4:36 min/k pace, 125m of ascent
    No. of days running this year: 19 Total Mileage: 163.49

Could only get out this evening in the dark and ever chilling evening. Had the headtorch and the backup of a handtorch but running on the roads wasn't the easiest. Ran a loop of local runs from Annacurra to Aughrim and back. They are cut up in places from the bad weather and the potholes etc aren't always evident until you're on top of them. Added to that there was a freezing fog in which you were nearly better off turning off the torch as the light doesn't penetrate. Still enjoyed the run and run solidly particularly on the hills which was a positive.

Today:
    10k at 4:59 min/k pace, 225m of ascent
    No. of days running this year: 20 Total Mileage: 169.74

• Advertisement

Yesterday:
    Conditions were dreadful for running. Had a very small opportunity to run so despite the conditions I had to make the best of it. Parked at Charlesland and did an out and back on the link road to the N11, down towards Greystones and back. The weather was like being in a washing machine drum.. the wind and the rain were fierce at times. All that was missing was the Ariel. Surprised myself to machine a very good pace.

Today:
    Opposite of yesterday. Perfect conditions. A nice loop at lunchtime, again at a good pace.

This evening.. felt like doing a bit more, so hopped on the treadie for a bit of a recovery run.

8.03k, 4:08 pace, 96m ascents
    9.58k, 4:11 pace, 70m ascents
    5.5k, 4:39 pace, treadmill - 1.5 gradient.

No. of days running this year: 22 Total Mileage: 184.1

IMRA race this Sunday. To rest or not to rest tomorrow... Decisions decisions..

I hedged my bets on a run today by heading out early and doing a very easy paced road run to keep the legs (and the 1000 mile mile log) turning over. Very icy and cold out there. Didn't feel any impact on the legs so happy enough.

10.2k, 4:47 pace, ascents 90m
    No. of days running this year: 23 Total Mileage: 190.45

Great to be racing again after days and weeks of 'just' running. Ticknock winter the 1st imra race of the season had it all - trail, muck, rock, snow, felled forest... Met a lot of the usual pals and saw lots of new faces (some in shock after their first hill race :)). Had a decent race. Ran solidly for the 1st half of the race. A lot of the middle of the race I was running solo having lost contact with runners ahead. The bits through the snow I struggled on as I kept going deep into it and losing momentum (see photos below). I was passed by 3 runners in quick succession after that but didn't leave too much ground and finished in 9th place overall, seconds behind Adrian Tucker. This time a year ago I finished seconds behind Adrian in Ticknock 09. No change there so, but we were improved on our time and overall % performance from last year. I was 3rd M40 today too. So in summary happy enough, but can take encouragement from improvements I could have made.

(Photos courtesy of John Shields, from the imra website)
    5645D1D994724D6499A6DEFCACEBA8EC.jpg
    61A09A89FA31461A818F699CA1B053BD.jpg
    Managed a warm up and warm down run aswell as a 5.5k recovery run in the afternoon so I didn't lose too much ground today in racing and not doing an LSR.

Total 20.7k ran today, 5:15 pace, ascents 607m
    Of that the race itself.. 10k, 5:04 pace, 351m of ascents

No. of days running this year: 24 Total Mileage: 203.32

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done SJ. 9th place is a great start to the season. Not as good as 8th, mind you, but there's always Annacurra. :)

Body was in post-race condition today and I was dreading the recovery run at lunchtime, particularly as I was walking with a hobble. However, once I got going I was okay. The compression tights worked their magic and I found myself doing a faster pace than intended, fairly handily.

Racked up another few k on the treadie when I got home, at proper recovery pace, to make it 15k for the day.

Total 15k ran today
    9.6k at 4:38 pace at lunchtime around Cabinteely, 94m of ascents
    5.4k, 4:49 pace on treadie at 1.5 gradient.

No. of days running this year: 25 Total Mileage: 212.64

Linked up with a pal today at lunch and despite chatting away we managed a nice pace. This evening I had a rare Tuesday opportunity to do a bit more and the body felt okay, so eked out another 5k at a much easier pace. This 1000 mile challenge eats you up. Still, its good to have a nice foundation set in January for longer runs in the coming months and, god forbid, rest days.

Total 15.7k ran today
    10.6k at 4:28 pace at lunchtime around Cabinteely, 91m of ascents
    5.1k, 4:51 pace, around Kilcoole, 69m of ascents

No. of days running this year: 26 Total Mileage: 222.44

The 1000 mile challenge would have to wait today... Belatedly decided to do the fit4life 3k in Rathdrum this evening. Nice evening for it and very well organised it was too. A short warm up, frantic race, short warm down. 3k is definitely not my bag, particularly on a flat road, but happy enough with performance considering I do very little if any speedwork.

2 laps of a c. 1.5k triangle of roads. The tight turns meant you had to slow into them to avoid slipping. That aside the route was just dandy. Garmin said 2.93k, so can't quite clock it as a 3k but it was nearly there. Beepbeep finished a fair bit ahead of me in a fine time. Fair play man.

10m 36s for race. 3:37k splits. Small hill.. 32m of ascents. Chuffed with the sub 11 time.

Including warm up and down a leisurely 8.37k ran today

No. of days running this year: 27 Total Mileage: 227.64

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Id love to try a 3k race at some stage, super time. have you done a 3k before? they are rare unless you race track

Thanks. Never before Kennyb3. Keep an eye out for fit4life type races in your locality. The schedule in Wicklow has another one or two 3ks coming up over the next few months I think.

Work up early this morning so got going early and did a pre-work run. Headed down towards Dun Laoghaire and along coast as the morning light started to brighten things up. Started off in recovery mode but picked it up as the run went on. Felt very comfortable at the end and could have gone on for longer.

11.02k at 4.45 pace with 149m of ascents

This evening I felt like getting out again (1000 mile challenge and all that). Did a short run, 6.25k, with new headtorch along the lumpy backroads. 4.38 pace with 65m of ascents. The Ultrafire Headtorch is the bees knees. Puts my other headtorches in the shade. Thanks Dunebuggy for sorting that out.

No. of days running this year: 28 Total Mileage: 238.37 If I keep going I'll be 1/4 of the way along the challenge after month 1 :) happy days.

• Advertisement

Results up for last nights race:

3rd over 40, 13th overall. Winning time was a terrific 9.29 by Cathal Daly from Inbhear Dee club.

Blustery wind at lunch today was far from ideal running conditions. Still, a nice run down towards Blackrock, along promenade past Dun Laoghaire past an angry looking sea, and back inland past the people's park.

11.64k in 4:31min/k pace with 105m of ascents
    No. of days running this year: 29 Total Mileage: 245.60

On a day like this there is nothing better than a run with good company in the hills of Wicklow. The main event today was a recce of the route we'll be racing in a week's time in Annacurra. (And Annacurra got a brief mention in the Irish Times Go section today). I haven't been around it since before the snow and I was glad to see its in great shape. Very runnable and on a recce like today you can take in the views of the surrounding countryside, from Lugnacoille in the West to Croaghan Kinsella eastwards. The hills offer a fair test. I did a 5k jog before the run today to get some warmth into the body (frozen to start off with). Donothoponpop and Jimmy Synott headed on ahead while I waited for late arrivals. One got completely lost so I ran with Dena Hogan from Wexford who coped admirably with the hills. A nice easy chatty pace run. And the same running conditions next week would be great.

15.48k in 5:43min/k pace with 503m of ascents
    No. of days running this year: 30 Total Mileage: 255.22

Surprised to be so high on the 1,000 mile challenge. With more races in Feb and Mar I'll factor in some rest days so my avg weekly totals will start to drop. No harm though. Very happy with the foundation I've put down so far in any event.

Frosty cold but sunny morning beckoned me out this morning for an LSR. Had no real plan as to what to do except it needed to be at least 2 hours with the focus more on quality rather than quantity. Last year I was training for Rotterdam and I was trying to find flat runs to do long mileage runs on. At the moment I'm more into enjoying my running and seen as I'm lined up for Connemara I'd nearly cut back on miles and add hills.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23609856

The run this morning ended up being great. The 1st 10k was pure LSR stuff as I hit the trails approaching Macreddin. Turned up a backroad at Macreddin to jog up an almightily steep hill that I hadn't run in quite some time. It was like renewing an old friendship (or enemyship!). Headed on in the vague direction of Aughavannagh during which time some light sleet fell. It was fairly bizarre running in warm sunshine with sparkly icy stuff falling from the sky. Turned into more trail at Rosahane cemetry and picked up speed on the icy traily ground surprising a bunch of deer in my path at one stage. Finished with a 6k or so run along the backroads where my pace had picked up progressively. Finished reasonably strongly into Annacurra. Felt great.. unusually so after so many continous days running.

Surprised to be so high on the 1,000 mile challenge. I'll ease back next month and introduce more some rest days.

27.54k in 4:47min/k pace with 484m of ascents
    No. of days running this year: 31 Total Mileage: 272.33
    Percentage days running this month:100%
    Avg daily run of 8.8 miles
    Total ascents this month: 6,241m

8.7k at lunchtime recovery mode with pal around Cabinteely. Cold, so was well wrapped up. No aches and pains from recent running so happy days.

6.5k this evening on the treadmill more of the same, 1.5% incline.

Total for day: 15.22k, 4:46k pace
    No. of days running this year: 32 Total Mileage: 281.79

A running pal is on day 2 of a training plan for Cork and he wanted to run 4:20min/k pace at lunch today which I was skeptical about with the blustery conditions, but surprised ourselves to do that and more despite having a chat into the bargain. Tough keeping the pace against the wind. Most of the run was in the park between Ballybrack and the N11. Didn't realise it was so expansive. Added a few laps of the old 400m track there too. Chuffed with pace considering. After so many days running logic suggests I should be feeling the effects of it. :rolleyes:

Total for day: 10.14k, 4:17k pace
    No. of days running this year: 33 Total Mileage: 288.09

Dragged myself out of bed early for the drive to work and a run in the cold, dark rain. Slow at first but got going and ticked away nicely at a steady medium pace.

This evening, hit the trail beside the house with the headtorch. Muddy out. Recovery paced run to Aughrim and back. 6k.

am: 11.29k, 4:33 pace, 128m ascents
    evening: 6.04, 4:54 pace, 128m ascents
    Total for day: 17.33k
    No. of days running this year: 34 Total Mileage: 298.86

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This evening, hit the trail beside the house with the headtorch.
    Getting some last minute sneaky practice in for Saturday's race? ;)

Ha. On recovery legs in the dark.. I don't think so. 1st stretch is fairly muddy but you'll be fine in racing flats KC, trust me :)

• Advertisement

Miserably cold and wet after work this evening but got out and did the same loop that I did yesterday morning. Despite a lot of hopping over puddles and not helped by the unevenness of pavements on badly lit suburan streets I found myself flowing nicely along and completed the loop 1 full minute quicker than yesterday without consciously pushing the pace. Happy with that. Took a while to warm up afterwards.

Total for day: 11.21k, 4:30 pace, 121m ascents.
    No. of days running this year: 35 Total Mileage: 305.83

Advertisement