Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone getting thunder, especially on the west coast? Been hearing intermittent rumbles all morning but not sure if it's just jets or thunder. I did have an active thunder storm near here last night in North Clare. Roads still icy here though they have thawed somewhat but travel still a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

morning all, my mum is with us in Dromahair at the moment but is trying to figure out if she should chance the journey to Dungloe today, anyone in the following places able to tell us anything about conditions with you?

Sligo to Donegal bypass
    Donegal bypass to Frosses
    Frosses to glenties
    Glenties to Dungloe

thanks folks, checked the travel site but nothing suitable there, so sorry if off topic, but gotta keep her safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone getting thunder, especially on the west coast? Been hearing intermittent rumbles all morning but not sure if it's just jets or thunder. I did have an active thunder storm near here last night in North Clare. Roads still icy here though they have thawed somewhat but travel still a no no

I actually thought i saw a flash and heard a rumble earlier!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems to be a line of electrical activity running up Galway Bay http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A black morning with heavy rain here which won't record as the rain gauge is still frozen. . Ice is gone from bad to ridiculous. It is impossible to even walk up to the front gate. Never in my life have witnessed ice so thick. Roads needless to say are totally unusable.

1.8c.

• Advertisement

A black morning with heavy rain here which won't record as the rain gauge is still frozen. . Ice is gone from bad to ridiculous. It is impossible to even walk up to the front gate. Never in my life have witnessed ice so thick. Roads needless to say are totally unusable.

1.8c.

But people are still trying to use them! Ive seen some silly driving in my time, but what ive seen the last few days has been crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heavy rain here is thawing out the roads, never so happy to see a downpour in my life.

snaps wrote: »
    But people are still trying to use them! Ive seen some silly driving in my time, but what ive seen the last few days has been crazy!

Agree Snaps. Even as I type there is a car trying to drive out of my estate here and the car is just spinning around in a circle. Folks, take some advice and stay at home. The heavy rain at the moment is still turning to ice on the roads and paths. Awesome, but dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

so we can look forward to snow showers instead of rain showers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

There's less snow up here in Armagh than there has been for the past few days. There was some light rain yesterday which seems to have got rid of some of the snow and the snow that was forecast for yesterday didn't arrive. It's fairly clear and sunny here at the moment and according to Met Eireann the temp is due to go up tomorrow.

I haven't been out on the roads but my folks are just back from town. The roads were clear yesterday here but it was minus 3 so I still took it handy coming back from mass.

They're forecasting heavy snow for Tuesday here so I may head back to Dublin before then as it will no doubt take a long time to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Agree Snaps. Even as I type there is a car trying to drive out of my estate here and the car is just spinning around in a circle. Folks, take some advice and stay at home. The heavy rain at the moment is still turning to ice on the roads and paths. Awesome, but dangerous.

i doubt people are going to heed that with tonight being one of busiest social nights of the year
    with the ground still so cold onces it freezes tonight the roads will still be very tricky despite the on going thaw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

All the ice is gone here now after the rain.

That last rain shower contained a lot of wet snow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

all hope ye had a nice Christmas! No White Christmas here but what the hell I enjoyed our banter here!

Just a question - is there going to be a severe frost tonight? I'm meant to be heading out and just want to know whether to expect bad roads

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Heavy frost early this morning and -2 deg, dangerous to walk on but now its +6 deg and rising and all the frost is melting fast. A clear fabulous morning but right now its clouding up from the west. At least now the roads are drivable. Hope the temp doesn't drop too low tonight, with all the wet, the roads will be lethal, ..again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

leahyl 0c to 3c so will be frosty but not a heavy frost

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Villain wrote: »
    leahyl 0c to 3c so will be frosty but not a heavy frost

Do you think it will be dangerous? Roads were lethal this morning and still are in some places!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

temp is 1.4c now which feels really mild compared to yesterday cannot wait to monday till it starts to get colder!!! looking like some showers coming up here doubt theyll be rain and btw still snow here but is melting! ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

leahyl wrote: »
    Do you think it will be dangerous? Roads were lethal this morning and still are in some places!

Couldn't say don't know know local conditions, its 7c or 8c so good thaw should be happening but areas shielded from Sun could be still slow to thaw

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

v.heavy sleet here. the rains freezing as it hits the ground. snow isnt thawing it all. could barely get the car out of the driveway, it wouldnt stop skidding

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

woke up to the sound of melting frost dripping from the roof, thankfully this cold spell is finished for the time being and roads should be getting back to normal, temperatures in many areas are now 7C with some places as high as 9C already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Personally I wouldn't go out if I thought the roads were dodgy although I tend to stay in around this time of the year anyway. I sort of grew out of that "oh my god I must go out" phase in my twenties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

There will be widespread black ice tonight/today Roads are/will be dire.

There is so much cold in the ground that a few hours of 6C will make little difference. Under clear sky tonight whatever may have thawed will freeze very quickly.

I've plenty of black ice in Costa del Wicklow despite it being 7C at moment.

It needs rain and plenty to make any quick thaw in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Very heavy sleet here. Nearly turning to snow. Mallow Co. COrk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mothman wrote: »
    There will be widespread black ice tonight/today Roads are/will be dire.

There is so much cold in the ground that a few hours of 6C will make little difference. Under clear sky tonight whatever may have thawed will freeze very quickly.

I've plenty of black ice in Costa del Wicklow despite it being 7C at moment.

It needs rain and plenty to make any quick thaw in the ground.

indeed.
    yet evelyn spoke more of the danger tomorrow night than tonight. i just don't understand it with temperatures expected to get down to - 2 or -3 in spots tonight. talk of this cold spell being over is quite frankly wide of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Did the drive from Sligo to Dublin.

Councils want their arses kicked. Sligo to Longford were positively dangerous. Mullingar on was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, it is all relative! I saw before I mailed that that the bowl of water left for the birds and their food was no longer frozen.... Therefore, some little thaw.It had been solid all week. Freezing as fast as I put it out.

Since then a flood in the kitchen .. as advised I had left the tap open, but it is hard to know how much open when it is dry.. so it had spilled out.

The cottage is an old one, with an addition of bathroom and kitchen and I realised today that the water supply to the bathroom, which is still not working, runs through a black rubber pipe outside, which was buried in frozen snow.

The hot water tank has now filled; still no bathroom, but at least water.... therefore some thaw.

The good side? lol!
    shiibata wrote: »
    Rain:eek: Went to bed at 2am and got a shock to see another inch or so of snow had fallen since then, lucky, I live on the good side of Blue Stacks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Two local questions if I may..

Our dog is freaking out badly; there is some shooting nearby; is this some St Stephens' Day event that will end soon? Or bad thunder?

I have given her meds but nothing helps. Need a time scale if possible?

She gets desperate at these times.

Also are local shops open tomorrow, Sunday and if so what time, please? LIDL and a garage for gas and coal.. need to stock before it feezes badly again..

Thank you

Graces7 wrote: »
    Two local questions if I may..

Our dog is freaking out badly; there is some shooting nearby; is this some St Stephens' Day event that will end soon? Or bad thunder?

I have given her meds but nothing helps. Need a time scale if possible?

She gets desperate at these times.

Also are local shops open tomorrow, Sunday and if so what time, please? LIDL and a garage for gas and coal.. need to stock before it feezes badly again..

Thank you

Cant really answer but there is thunder around. It was heard here this morning (not by me though :() so that could well be it. I don't know why dogs seem to go funny when they here thunder. During a thunderstorm last summer, my uncle's dog went crazy and ran off. She has never been seen since. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Graces7 wrote: »

Thank you

Checked when I was in Lidl on Chrimbo eve and they said they were open on Sunday as usual.

Advertisement