Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Disappointing day here in the east. Cold rain for most of the day. These temps would cause major snowfall under different atmospheric conditions. +1.1c here at the moment and clear.

From reading some of the posts here, conditions in the NW are totally different than the SE. Just a bit wet here and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Danno wrote: »

http://www.reachbroadband.com/weather/

this one is located on top of mount leinster on the tower itself

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Same conditions in West Limerick, roads are a sheet of glass.
    Stay indoors this evening, by the fire.

Thats what I will be doing anyway. Thank goodness most people do not need to be up early tomorrow for work!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there should be a good thaw starting from 2moro and lasting till about wednesday, hopefully all the roads will be clear by 2moro evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Gonzo wrote: »
    there should be a good thaw starting from 2moro and lasting till about wednesday, hopefully all the roads will be clear by 2moro evening.

Where you getting this from?

For Dublin the next few days equal

Tomorrow . Max 5c, Min 0c
    Sunday Max 3c, Min -4c
    Monday Max 3c, Min 0c ......... then potential wintriness from east starts.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was going by the RTE forecast, 6C in Dublin 2moro and Sunday, and BBC have Dublin down for 7C Monday and 8C Tuesday. that should be enough to melt most of the frost around these parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Mains water pipe into the house is frozen till last night - praying for that thaw to happen sooner rather than later!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen this wee guy out today!
    1005910.jpg w800.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I have to drive from the Galway/Mayo border to Dublin to visit my family in the morning. Feeling pretty worried about it, I had a slight crash this time last year in icy conditions ( in January, I think ) on my laneway, which is pretty darn icy again now.
    I wouldn't mind so much if I just had to dissappoint my mum and dad and bother and a couple of others by not showing, but I really need to get there because of my very young nephews and nieces, who I hardly ever see, so I seriously have to make it.
    I'm figuring once I make it to Headford everything will be pretty much gritted, but there is about 5 miles of sheltered and twisty road before that, including my own little road that is a complete ice rink, but only about one kilometre long. Fingers crossed for a thaw? No, wait, thats silly, I'll prolly be leaving as early as ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Thawing here in east Donegal for the first time in a week. Frost gone from the car at last .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Thawing here in east Donegal for the first time in a week. Frost gone from the car at last .
    No thaw here in south donegal , ice is getting worse and worse ,i think the roads would be extremely dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Pangea wrote: »
    No thaw here in south donegal , ice is getting worse and worse ,i think the roads would be extremely dodgy.

I have to head back down trough the gap tomorrow again and i have one dodgy hill.. hope its clear:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭squonk

Freeze going on here in North Clare. Road is like glass. Surprisingly a thunder shower that had fairly active lightening just passed to my north in the last 20 mins. Seems to be another on the way judging by the ME radar that should hit me dead on. What an interesting weather day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The tarmac is glistening outside, it will be freezing hard later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

METAR: EIDW 260000Z 23008KT 9999 FEW016 03/02 Q0993 NOSIG
    short-TAF: out of date (31 hours)
    long-TAF: EIDW 252300Z 2604/2624 20006KT 9999 SCT020 TEMPO 2604/2624 4000 SHRASN BKN008 BKN020CB

I'm losing faith in these forecasts, EIDW is much more exposed than here and further from the coast (we're 200m from Broadmeadow Estuary) and the road is treacherous outside for the 6th night in a row.

Decoding for those who need it; at 0000Z on the 26th wind from hdg230 (SW) @ 8kts (15km/h), Visibility >10km, clouds Few @1600ft, Temp03/DP 02 and 993hPa, no significant change expected.

The forecast: 04 to 24 UTC wind from hdg200 (SSW) @6kts (10km/h) scattered cloud @ 2000ft, temporary visibility from 04 to 24hrs 4000m with Broken clouds @800ft and broken cumulonimbus clouds @ 2000ft (i.e. precip likely). SHRASN=showers of sleet, basically.

However up till now it's been fairly accurate and it's forecasting rain/sleety snow for tomorrow albeit a low probability, so that'll do me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Freezing hard - roads, footpaths and cars all covered in ice a lot of which was there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Sun 3 Jan0:005:59-1 °c-9 °c1010 mb1.5 mm100 %NW.gif34 mphNSS.gif6:0011:590 °c-5 °c1011 mb5.7 mm100 %NE.gif35 mphNSS.gif12:0017:592 °c-6 °c1012 mb10.8 mm100 %NNE.gif36 mphHS.gif18:0023:591 °c-7 °c1014 mb6.1 mm99 %NNE.gif31 mph

firstly does anyone know did it snow at all in belfast? my bet is riding on that happening, secondly i now know metcheck is very dodgy but still holy fck if its right:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jaysus! Some day out there, in fact, the f&^king weather meant some of my family couldnt make it down for Christmas! :mad:. What I cant understand is how, this morning when the air temp was -2c and the dew point even lower that it rained! Not even a hint of sleet let alone snow!! Whats up with that?

It was this very rain, falling on a well frozen ground which eventually turned to ice and has made the roads incredibly dangerous! I've never seen anything like it! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just walked home from a party here on the east side of Waterford and I can safely say that this is the worst freeze I've ever experienced. The rain that fell earlier turned to ice and has made the roads like an ice rink!

Cars were going by at 15 km/h as I was walking home, and I had to plan where I would walk so as to get the maximum grip. I found myself walking along the grassy verges a lot, through the grassy front parts of estates, and also wherever leaves had gathered, just so as to stay upright! I nearly brained myself more than once but got home in one piece.

Unbelievable weather. I've never seen the like!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Heavy shower of hailstones in Galway at the minute - set off a load of car alarms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleety snow up here. The water left out for the birds however is not frozen....Please God the pipes also ease up.

Bitter cold wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Waterford

Tramore bone dry roads, feels about 3 - 4celcius, slight rain.

5 miles due NW of tramore roads are lethal, about 0 or -1, clear skies.

Edit, just got this METAR: METAR EIWF 260430Z AUTO 28013KT 250V320 CAVOK 06/05 Q0995 RERA=

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

All gone VERY quiet out there...

Rain here and some thawing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Graces7 wrote: »

The thaw will be only above the ground. It'll take a lot longer for ground to thaw.

Meanwhile here in Ashford Wicklow
    Clear and frosty
    -1c here, grass -6C, ground is hard. 5cm soil is +1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Graces7 wrote: »

Rain:eek: Went to bed at 2am and got a shock to see another inch or so of snow had fallen since then, lucky, I live on the good side of Blue Stacks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭kkontour

Another dusting of snow here overnight.
    Still no water.
    Bring back the mild weather.

Ox mountain, Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fiercely icy out there even though air temp is above 0c.

Sheets of ice everywhere, conditions look alot more treacherous than yesterday morning because of all the rain that fell yesterday is now frozen solid:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Unbelievable road conditions around here this morning - I tried driving the missus to work and we got around 3 miles somehow before I got stuck. I was trying to turn and the camber of the road wouldn't allow me to get back on to the road. We had to ring a neighbour with a tractor to tow us out. Turning around was no problem, just applied the handbrake and spun the car around by hand :eek:.

It rained torrents here last night and that created a skin about a quarter of an inch thick on the road which was still frozen. There is a nice southerly breeze just after picking up and hopefully the sun will create a bit of a thaw, still 1C outside though.

Typical Ireland really, a bit of snow would be easier to cope with but of course it had to rain, rain, rain. Lethal combination with a frozen ground. I would advise people to stay at home and put the feet up. Bad form to be going shopping on St. Stephen's day anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

our road looks lethal and I haven't even been out yet. had to grit the driveway for the last two days just to make it from the front door to the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

in all my years alive ive never witnessed what im witnessing this morning. Cars abandoned because of the ice. My estate has 2" sheet ice on it, no one is moving out as there is a incline out of it. You cant even walk on the ice.

Advertisement