Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Graces7 wrote: »
    Where indeed is that thaw?
    :mad:

Is it too late to hibernate?

Unfortunately i don't think there will be any thaw for the north and northwest.

Tomorrow will be the mildest day of the week with temps across the country from 2-8c, coldest in the northwest.

Frost and ice quickly settling back in as this protracted cold spell appears to be lasting for the forseable future.

Bitter northeasters forecast to bring lots of rain/sleet for the east with gales and temps of around 3c, with abit of a colder source angle, there could be sustained blizzards for days in the east next week but at this stage it looks like a sleet/rain event. Dublin mountains would be under feet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Northeasters, i'll take that , not those blasted notherlies again !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Dublin mountains would be under feet though.
    I thought there was only 1 mountain in Dublin ? three rock.
    The rest is a bit of high ground.
    The mountains are in co wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I thought there was only 1 mountain in Dublin ? three rock.
    The rest is a bit of high ground.
    The mountains are in co wicklow.

Go on go on, :D I'm getting my pop corn

This could be payback time if you rub WC up the wrong way :pac:

4mm today,
    3C and falling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My taps are frozen here in donegal, froze this morning and now again, started snowing now again ,a couple of inches out there! Oh YEAH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That happened to me this week. Get a blow torch on it and then leave a tap running slightly overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Snowing big fat flakes here laying here but not heavy want a big blizzard like in donegal but I doubt this is us!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks, Weathercheck.

At least I know what to try for. Nowhere will be open tomorrow of course..

Please God I can get down on Monday? Do not want to be a burden to folk here as all are suffering also and have family staying.

I know; it is a great novelty and fun for many, and that is fine, but comes a time when it becomes too much of a danger to enjoy fully.

So forgive please any apparent lack of enthusiasm!! You know by now that I love it too.. Just is too long now, and no end in sight. Practicalities that we tend to take for granted; and basics ron which life itself depends.

But it is different in a town also of course.

If the water would come back that would be such a help .

But there seeems little chance of that now.

It is so primitive and primeval up here now in darkness. The farmers have roared up, luminous- yellow- jerkined, to feed the stock, and gone home again.

All is dark and cold and icy.

Utterly silent and still.

And the mountains shine and gleam white and hard. Bare snow on bare rock.
    Unfortunately i don't think there will be any thaw for the north and northwest.

Tomorrow will be the mildest day of the week with temps across the country from 2-8c, coldest in the northwest.

Frost and ice quickly settling back in as this protracted cold spell appears to be lasting for the forseable future.

Bitter northeasters forecast to bring lots of rain/sleet for the east with gales and temps of around 3c, with abit of a colder source angle, there could be sustained blizzards for days in the east next week but at this stage it looks like a sleet/rain event. Dublin mountains would be under feet though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazingly all the frost never melted despite nearly 2 hours of rain and its starting to freeze over again:(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Merry Christmas everyone, hope everyone is safe and sound indoors and has no intentions from moving from their fire tonight.

In donegal town and the snow earlier covered the ground and will freeze once the temperature drops again. Cant get the cars in as the hill is frozen solid still. Have to head home to dublin on Sunday but I am unsure what the next few days holds for here, sligo, leitrim and longford for the drive but I will worry about it on Sunday. Wife is going stirr crazy though as we cannot bring the baby out of the house as we cannot get down the hill.

There are several mountains in dublin, we just pretend that some of them are in Wicklow so that they think they have a monopoly on the mountains on the east coast, cause they really have very little else to offer. :D

here is some weather - The max temp outside today was 2c , it is currently 1c.
    Wind is 0kmh - 2kmh coming from the east with the snow symbol back on the weather station. Pressure is 993.4. Gonna check sky to see what is happening cause my brother just sent me a text to say msn.com have increased their chances of snow tonight.

Have a good one.. or two

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Don't know how many of you have been out on the roads today, but here, after todays short spell of freezing rain, they are complete ice rinks. I hope that no one is injured or killed on the roads tonight, because it really is a night for staying in. And the frost has set in again after a brief thaw. Still plenty of ice around on the grass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Merry Christmas folks!

I woke up this morning to a freezing foggy landscape. It looked like we had the hardest frost of the current spell. The car thermometer said -6 while on my way to mass at 10am.

There was no thaw all morning and I think the fog had a lot to do with it. It sarted raining at around 1pm and it continued for some time. I thought no more of it until I read the Aertel news which said to avoid the roads around Navan. Navan was the only place mentioned. I went straight out and checked the roads: Absolutely lethal; covered in black ice!!

I live between Navan and Kells and not far from a river which a tribiturary of the Boyne. Navan of course has the Boyne running through it. So am I right in thinking the rain froze straight away as it landed on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Hi All,

Firstly can I wish everyone here a Happy Christmas!!

The weather here has been un-real the past few days here in Enniskillen.

The condensation on the inside of the windows had frozen solid this morning, the UKMO stated Enniskillen (at it's peak) was -9.1!! Bruuhh!!

Clouds rolled in and had started snowing about 13.00, but really started falling about 14.00 and continued until about 15.30!! A good 3 - 4 cm's or so have fallen, on top of what was already falled over the fast few days, recon there's over 3 inches of the stuff where it hasn't thawed at all!!

After dinner I took the dog for a walk down to the lakes, the River Erne is completly frozen over - I've never ever seen that happen in all the years I've lived here, truely remarkable. Needless to say I didn't dare try to walk on the ice!!

Snow is strange, it's very powdery (the fresh snow) and has settled ontop of the frozen slush. Took a walk down to the Dublin road and the conditions are seriously bad. 1 or 2 cars passed me as I was walking on the foot-path, only doing about 15-20mph, never seen the roads as bad.

Anyway, it's still freezing here outside, and hasn't been the slightest thaw at all!!

Take care to anyone on the roads - never seen em so bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A light will burn here all night for prayer for safety for all who are out.

Already a pile up on the MI in England.

Over and out....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/couple-rescued-from-dublinwicklow-mountains-439553.html
    Couple rescued from Dublin/Wicklow mountains
    25/12/2009 - 12:05:11

A couple who went for a late-night drive in the Wicklow mountains last night had to be rescued early today after their vehicle broke down.

The couple were stranded in the remote Featherbeds area of the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains after the driver burned out the car's clutch trying to deal with the icy roads.

"Despite the numerous alerts on the radio and television, the couple went for a drive on Christmas Eve in the mountains, which last night experienced sub-zero temperatures," a spokesperson for the local mountain rescue team said.

At 4.15am, gardaí put a call out to the Glen of Imaal and Dublin/Wicklow mountain rescue teams.

The team leader of the Glen of Imaal rescue team spent some time on the phone trying to get a recovery vehicle to go to the couple, as vehicle recovery is not the remit of mountain rescue teams.

When it became apparent that no one was able to assist, two mountain rescue 4x4s were dispatched and team members recovered the couple and drove them to where they could get a taxi home.

"Mountain Rescue remind motorists to listen to weather warnings and AA advice on the radio. Should assistance be required mountain rescue teams will help stranded people but will not recover vehicles," the spokesperson added.

These people are idiots, what the hell were they thinking?, its insane up the mountains in daylight in this weather, but at night?

Its going to be atrocious tomorrow up the mountains, its atrocious here on the slopes, the rescue services have enough on their plate as it is, dont become another statistic.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

big time idiots:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i assume neither of that couple post on or view the weather forum here.:p i hope they hung their heads in shame when they were rescued!

Surfaces freezing here despite cloud cover and a little rain.
    Air temp +1.3C,
    grass temp -0.1C

Max today 3.9C
    4mm rain and there is still some ground frozen despite the rain and the air temp being above zero for most of the past 54 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeh, ice did not fully thaw here today, and temps have dropped slightly to 2.2 C atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

down to -1 c. the roads are diabolical after todays rain - like an ice rink( i would hate to be in a line of cars on a steep hill:o.) i'm surprised evelyn didn't emphasise this rather than focusing on the frost not being as extensive or severe. the way things are now they are even worse than what we've had up to now in many parts of the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

down to -1 c. the roads are diabolical after todays rain - like an ice rink( i would hate to be in a line of cars on a steep hill:o.) i'm surprised evelyn didn't emphasise this rather than focusing on the frost not being as extensive or severe. the way things are now they are even worse than what we've had up to now in many parts of the country

Yes definetly this, the last few days of colder ice dont seem to be as slippery as this wetter slush/ice.

Aside from this, is there any weather stations (amateur even) on any high ground in Ireland. I cant recall ever hearing of any in the Reeks or closeby.
    I realise that they wouldn't be near of importance as low level stations (and a lot more extreme than surrounding land), but it would be very interesting to see difference height has on temps rainfall etc.
    I believe Scotland operates a few high mountain stations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

just travvelled the 20 miles from Letterkenny to Lifford.. Temp in car was a constant 0.5c the whole way. Letterkenny was a white out but Lifford is not so bad. Snow had been here since last week and just froze ice on ice on ice on ice. Seems a slight thaw at the minute.

Lettterkenny was amazing.. big fluffy flakes.. I am trying to remember the last time I say it actually snow on Christmas day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Roads are like glass here in Mullingar. Never seen anything like this before. Lumps of ice on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Freezing hard now over the snow that fell today ,dangerous conditions.
    No thaw here ,what a nice suprise , i thought by tonight it would be wet and the snow and ice would be gone , far from it! :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pangea wrote: »
    Freezing hard now over the snow that fell today ,dangerous conditions.
    No thaw here ,what a nice suprise , i thought by tonight it would be wet and the snow and ice would be gone , far from it! :D:D

A bit of athaw here but only on rooves will hopefully freeze anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Aside from this, is there any weather stations (amateur even) on any high ground in Ireland.

visit http://live.laoisweather.com/kerry1 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

just been outside and while the nearest iwn stations (I'm in between Glanworth and Charleville )are saying 4.0 c, the car,paths and the roads are frozen solid and the road especially is like a sheet of glass.So be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Same conditions in West Limerick, roads are a sheet of glass.
    Stay indoors this evening, by the fire.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Freezing hard here now with air temp about to go sub zero
    Grass temp -5C
    Clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Terrible out there, freezing hard again.

Ice everywhere.

Its crazy how it can be so cold but insist on not snowing in this country!

Advertisement