Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Definitely go back on them, loubin.

They wouldn't tell you they were okay to take if they weren't.

I'm depressive too, but thankfully I don't have to take medication at the moment. I'll be going to my psychotherapist in a few months though as I hit such a low last time after my pregnancy that I was suicidal. Definitely going to deal with it head on this time.

I'm going to ring my gp because i'll have to get a new prescription anyway.
    It's good that you're dealing with it head on. That was me last year, it got to the point where i just felt i couldn't deal with it anymore and needed to change, so i started cbt and taking meds. But the pregnancy has thrown me out of whack esp since it was a surprise. Hopefully once the baby comes i will be able to focus on that and i'll get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

Loubian sounds like your having a real tough time you poor thing.. if they are safe would you not start taking them again?? i can understand your resevations but i also know how draining it is feeling upset the whole time and feeling lonely.. its not the same situation by any means but im going through a marraige breakdown at the moment and just feel completely lost and alone alot of the time and just cant help breaking down at the slightest of things. if the midwife has given u the all clear and in fact would rather u were taking them i dont see a reason why not. u need all ur strenght for the baby and you could look at the other side that u may be doing more good to your baby by taking them and being happy a well rested for when he/she arrives.. im due in 4 days and after having a very rough week/weekend with my ex with no sleep its worrying thinking of going through labour being exhausted if there was someway i could be more ready for it i def would have taking it.. thats just my opinion anyway, seeing you gp is the best option as they are better able to advise but im sure they will say the same as your midwife.. really hope you feel a bit better soon and please try and look on the bright side its what gets me through the tough days :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

loubian wrote: »
    I'm going to ring my gp because i'll have to get a new prescription anyway.
    It's good that you're dealing with it head on. That was me last year, it got to the point where i just felt i couldn't deal with it anymore and needed to change, so i started cbt and taking meds. But the pregnancy has thrown me out of whack esp since it was a surprise. Hopefully once the baby comes i will be able to focus on that and i'll get better.

It can be easy to concentrate too much on the baby when he/she comes, so make sure you give your mental health a high enough rating. I put myself at the bottom of the list and ended up in a very bad way.

Hugs for you missymad. You poor thing, what an awful time to go through something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

It can be easy to concentrate too much on the baby when he/she comes, so make sure you give your mental health a high enough rating. I put myself at the bottom of the list and ended up in a very bad way.

Hugs for you missymad. You poor thing, what an awful time to go through something like this.

What kinda things should you look out for? I had depression a few year back but been great since but I've told hubby to take me to the doc if he notices any change in my mood or I'm not been normal with him or the baby. I did nursing care course and was told stories of women who wanted to hurt there babies because of PN depression (I was 15 or so weeks at the time and freaked me right out) So if there are any signs I can make hubby aware of I'd like too, dont want him stressing that he didnt pick up on the signs and so on.

What kinda things should you look out for? I had depression a few year back but been great since but I've told hubby to take me to the doc if he notices any change in my mood or I'm not been normal with him or the baby. I did nursing care course and was told stories of women who wanted to hurt there babies because of PN depression (I was 15 or so weeks at the time and freaked me right out) So if there are any signs I can make hubby aware of I'd like too, dont want him stressing that he didnt pick up on the signs and so on.

With me it was all negative self-talk. Like I was always on the look out for reasons to beat myself up. I hid it like a champion though, no one knew and I wouldn't admit it to myself. It wasn't until I thought about killing myself did I wake up to it and tell my husband. Then I went to the doctor. If you find yourself trying to do everything perfectly and be a perfect mum, watch out. There's no such thing.

• Advertisement

With me it was all negative self-talk. Like I was always on the look out for reasons to beat myself up. I hid it like a champion though, no one knew and I wouldn't admit it to myself. It wasn't until I thought about killing myself did I wake up to it and tell my husband. Then I went to the doctor. If you find yourself trying to do everything perfectly and be a perfect mum, watch out. There's no such thing.

Yeah thats for sure specially the first baby. If I'm been normal and my usual clumsy self it could be all good but because I'v been down before I'm not gonna risk a thing when bubs comes I need to be a mum. Plus hubby will be back working fairly soon after baby arriving so I'll be alone

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Sciatica is not fun! I'm only 8 weeks this is going to be a long 40 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

Ladies,
    is anyone else here wearing compression stockings, or am I the only one?

As a bit of back story, I'm not originally from Ireland, and in my home country it seems to be standard that preggers women wear compression stockings. Helps with retaining water etc, and is good if you have a family history of varicose veins (which I have). My two nurses at home (mum + sister) are insisting that I wear them, and not just knee-highs, but full length ones.
    In fairness, while they're a bit of a pain to get into every morning, they do make my legs feel 'lighter', if that makes any sense...
    But jaysus, is it nice to take them off in the evening. They're also quite warm, so I'm constantly roasting in the office (and can't get the window open as much as I'd like, because the poor girl sitting next to the window gets cold... urgh...)

I've been good so far, wearing them every single day since I found out I was pregnant. I'm now 11 weeks along... I'd say I'll be well sick of them by the time I have a proper bump! :-s
    So, just wondering, anyone else out there? :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

grarf wrote: »
    Ladies,
    is anyone else here wearing compression stockings, or am I the only one?

As a bit of back story, I'm not originally from Ireland, and in my home country it seems to be standard that preggers women wear compression stockings. Helps with retaining water etc, and is good if you have a family history of varicose veins (which I have). My two nurses at home (mum + sister) are insisting that I wear them, and not just knee-highs, but full length ones.
    In fairness, while they're a bit of a pain to get into every morning, they do make my legs feel 'lighter', if that makes any sense...
    But jaysus, is it nice to take them off in the evening. They're also quite warm, so I'm constantly roasting in the office (and can't get the window open as much as I'd like, because the poor girl sitting next to the window gets cold... urgh...)

I've been good so far, wearing them every single day since I found out I was pregnant. I'm now 11 weeks along... I'd say I'll be well sick of them by the time I have a proper bump! :-s
    So, just wondering, anyone else out there? :)

They make you wear them for 6 weeks after a C-section here. I lasted 3 weeks during warm weather before I cracked and stopped wearing them. You are not required to wear them during pregnancy though, unless I suppose you have an existing condition that requires them. No way could I wear them for 9 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I only wore them for two days post section. My consultant advised they were no longer necessary. No ill effects at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

Thanks guys, interesting to know!
    Yeah apparently it's very common in Germany to be prescribed compression stockings, especially if you're a) prone to varicose veins (check) and b) sit or stand a lot in your job (check) ... teaming that up with something called Factor 5 Leiden deficiency (effectively a sort of thrombophilia), and I do think I'm better off wearing the bloody things :(
    I did check with a haematologist here in Galway, and she was very nice and very 'oh don't worry about it, this thing is very common, you should never have been tested'...
    (when my sister had a similar chat with a haematologist in Germany, he immediately took her off the normal pill, put her on a progesteron-only pill, and advised her that in case of pregnancy, she would have to wear compression stockings throughout, and inject heparin daily for the last two trimesters :eek:)
    Got my first hospital appointment in two weeks, so I'll check with the doc then... and for the moment, continue wearing the stockings. you sorta do get used to them. After three months of daily wear, I now feel almost naked without them :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

OH bought me an ironing board as a "joke" for Valentines Day....

I Did not see the funny side.... :mad:

You should have said to him that it was wonderful that he was going to be doing all the ironing from now on. What a thoughful present! :pac:

The eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I'm sorry - but I burst out laughing at work reading that! The little fecker.

Did you even need a new ironing board?!

My miracle is I don't have a moan, feeling spritely today and tomorrow is my last day of work for a long time. Can't wait to get back on top of the house and have time to look after myself again. Hurray!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

I hate ironing and only do it when i really have too.....

Ugh horomones......

stupid dog got me all worked up today he got stuck the far side of the fence in the back garden and I had to free him then I had to carry blocks to block up the hole as there was no one to help me. Woke up in a bad way with my back this morning so I already wasnt having a good day and now my SPD is playing up something rotten along with jabbing my finger on something in the fence Im having a sh1t day and cant walk to save my life now!!!!!!!

Sorry figured it the best place to put how I was feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Synester tat does sound sh1t! Poor u and poor silly dog! I'm finding it really tough to walk my one with the SPD - even the shortest of walks leaves me hobbling!

My moan is I have a cold or flu ( not sure which yet) have aches & pains and shivers and blocked head etc etc!!!! I miss the drugs now.... All I want is some nurofen cold & flu!!!! Soooo miserable!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

So the doc prescribed me zofran for the nausea which worked, score! But it has made me constipated, I havent gone in days!!! My belly is really bloated and uncomfortable so I came off the zofran yesterday to let nature take its course, but the only course its following is vomitus maximus. Im still bloated and belly achey with the added pressure puking brings. I just cant catch a break. *sob*

I love this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Hey all so I am on my 2nd pregnancy, I have a 16 month old son already.

I already feel so ill, tired & really bad back ache already.
    I think its sciatica..

Grumble

Also I already feel huge, I am really bloated n bleurgh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Hey all so I am on my 2nd pregnancy, I have a 16 month old son already.

I already feel so ill, tired & really bad back ache already.
    I think its sciatica..

Grumble

Also I already feel huge, I am really bloated n bleurgh.

How far along are you? I found with my second I am feeling really big really fast.

To the extent I was nearly in tears over it this evening. I just feel so big and crappy. I know big is good, it means the baby is safely growing and that there is probably a lot more fluid around this one than with my first (docs were surprised there was so little) but I still felt really shítty today looking at myself, also we saw family for the first time since we told them and they were all commenting "Wow, look at the size of you, are you sure you're only 17 weeks?" as though I'm a fúcking imbecile unable to count! Sorry, just feeling crappy and tired, and stressed.

This thread is a God-send.

wolfpawnat wrote: »

How far along are you? I found with my second I am feeling really big really fast.

To the extent I was nearly in tears over it this evening. I just feel so big and crappy. I know big is good, it means the baby is safely growing and that there is probably a lot more fluid around this one than with my first (docs were surprised there was so little) but I still felt really shítty today looking at myself, also we saw family for the first time since we told them and they were all commenting "Wow, look at the size of you, are you sure you're only 17 weeks?" as though I'm a fúcking imbecile unable to count! Sorry, just feeling crappy and tired, and stressed.

This thread is a God-send.
    Six weeks....
    I feel like i am about 12 weeks.....extremely moody n more wrecked than first time....

We told the mil but havent told my family yet as I see them everyday and dont want them fussing. I mean 2nd time round its not as easy to take a break.
    I am hoping the return of sciatica is just coincidence....
    I know its all worth it in the end...its just hard to see positives when you feel crap.

Love this thread too...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Fruediangirl congrats on your pregnancy. I'm pregnant on no.2 aswell and I found the first 12-14 weeks very very tough going.

I had awful back pain on my last pregnancy and assumed it twice as bad this time around. I had awful lower back pain at 5 weeks but I went to a physio I trust and he gave me some stretching exercises. I've since found out I've got sciatica but I've found I can keep the pain at bay by doing the exercises prescribed by my physio. I'm 30 weeks now and my back is heaps better than it was at this stage the last time around.

I'd really recommend a visit to a physio. Don't assume that just because you're pregnant you have to put up with back pain.

The good side of being pregnant and having a toddler to look after is you're pregnancy will fly by. You just don't have time to think about it!

Fruediangirl congrats on your pregnancy. I'm pregnant on no.2 aswell and I found the first 12-14 weeks very very tough going.

I had awful back pain on my last pregnancy and assumed it twice as bad this time around. I had awful lower back pain at 5 weeks but I went to a physio I trust and he gave me some stretching exercises. I've since found out I've got sciatica but I've found I can keep the pain at bay by doing the exercises prescribed by my physio. I'm 30 weeks now and my back is heaps better than it was at this stage the last time around.

I'd really recommend a visit to a physio. Don't assume that just because you're pregnant you have to put up with back pain.

The good side of being pregnant and having a toddler to look after is you're pregnancy will fly by. You just don't have time to think about it!
    Thanks how strange.

Great to hear that other people felt same early in pregnancy too . I never felt this sick/worn out on #1.

I might ask when i go to nurse for my bloods on wednesday about the physio in cumh... Lifting a heavy toddler isnt helping .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Great to hear that other people felt same early in pregnancy too . I never felt this sick/worn out on #1.

Lifting a heavy toddler isnt helping .

I never felt so unwell in my life as I did for the 7-14 week stage of this. Nauseous day and night, vomiting at the smallest thing and sleeping for Ireland. I swear, worst few weeks of my life. And my son is 24kg and only turning 4 tomorrow, so still loves being lifted, I know the feeling!!!

It feels more full on this time for me too.

cant complain so far today but was told yesterday that my cousin is just gone by her due date and in a week her baby went up by a full pound in weight..........I never knew that were possible! scares me a little bit (but I know she's lazy and all that so maybe it has something to do with it)

cant complain so far today but was told yesterday that my cousin is just gone by her due date and in a week her baby went up by a full pound in weight..........I never knew that were possible! scares me a little bit (but I know she's lazy and all that so maybe it has something to do with it)

Scary stuff alright ...

I thought i got away with not feeling sick n crap today.
    Then it hit 3 pm, bam.
    Feeling pukey since then and dizzy. Just meh

Im only 6 weeks.... How long can this go on

Freudiangirl-My morning sickness lasted until I hit 15 weeks and I had it morning till night.
    Its very hard to do everyday things when sick and unless someone has been there and went through it.
    I can safely say I feel your pain I hope time goes fast for you

Freudiangirl-My morning sickness lasted until I hit 15 weeks and I had it morning till night.
    Its very hard to do everyday things when sick and unless someone has been there and went through it.
    I can safely say I feel your pain I hope time goes fast for you

Sometimes I wonder if I actually puked would it be over with

Anyhoo, finally settled tummy with salt n vinegar crisp sandwich....

My oh decided he wanted tuna sandwich, a smell i find hard to stomach when not pg.
    I just told him it will make me sick, so he continued making it so I am in bed away from smell. I did warn him to get rid of tuna smell

Yeuck

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »

I never felt so unwell in my life as I did for the 7-14 week stage of this. Nauseous day and night, vomiting at the smallest thing and sleeping for Ireland. I swear, worst few weeks of my life. And my son is 24kg and only turning 4 tomorrow, so still loves being lifted, I know the feeling!!!

It feels more full on this time for me too.
    Great to hear I am not only one finding it tough

Advertisement