Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault...but sure he's a nice lad..Mod Warning Post 275

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Zulu wrote: »
    He deserves a criminal record.
    He deserves 7 years with 2 suspended.
    He deserves to be on the sex offender register for the rest of his life.

He does not deserve to be sexually assaulted - no one does.

In your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭ironingbored

I listened to the interview with his brother this morning on Newstalk. Although he was more measured and cautious than the despicable priest, one thing he slipped in - and which went unnoticed or uncommented upon - left me in no doubt as to the disingenuous behaviour of his supporters. He said early on in the interview "the so-called victim". Unfortunately Ms. Byrne failed to pick up on this.

How the prison officers and gardai in court allowed people to approach and make physical contact with a convicted prisoner is beyond belief and an investigation should be carried out. What if someone wished to slip him a weapon?
    The behaviour of his family, his friends and the contemptable priest are disgraceful. There is one thing being dignified and supporting one's kin in a diffucult moment; it's another thing to intimidate a victim in court and condone despicable behaviour. I just sincerely hope that Mr. Foley serves EVERY day of his 5 years.

In your opinion!

NO!

In the opinion and good judgement of a jury of his peers and a court of law! :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Ok guys, two things.

1. He was convicted of sexual assault, not rape. Please stop referring to him as a rapist.

2. Please stop advocating sexual assault as a means of punishment.

Bans will be handed out to anyone ignoring this warning.

Maple.

Posted as well in the local thread, but maybe those of us from all over the country who are disgusted by the 50 should organise to travel down to Listowel and hold a rally of national support for sexual assault victims? I'm male, but I know I'd travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

maple wrote: »
    Ok guys, two things.

1. He was convicted of sexual assault, not rape. Please stop referring to him as a rapist.
    It's funny, the fact that so many people keep referring to it as rape, obviously not bothering to find out the true facts, goes some way to explain the reason why the 50 people went up to him in the dock to show their support.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    goes some way to explain the reason why the 50 people went up to him in the dock to show their support.

How?

How?
    Does it really need to be explained to you?

It shows that people are only too willing to jump to conclusions (or actions) without truly knowing all the facts, or in this case, not bothering to find them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

What is the legal distinction between rape and sexual assault?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Does it really need to be explained to you?

It shows that people are only too willing to jump to conclusions (or actions) without truly knowing all the facts, or in this case, not bothering to find them out.

The jury already decided on the facts, and they got all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

In your opinion!
    No, in the opinion of the citizens of the Republic of Ireland, as represented by the judicary system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That was clarified already in this thread, here.

Already posted. Please read the thread.

No, in the opinion of the citizens of the Republic of Ireland, as represented by the judicary system.

How many people actually agree with the judiciary system, its a joke. Life in prison is approx 12 years for example.

Penentration

The jury already decided on the facts, and they got all of them!
    I know. I think you're still missing the point of my originally post, and my subsequent explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

Disturbing, really disturbing. What I find even more worrying is the prospect that the poor girl will almost certainly suffer even more when media-coverage and public outcry subside. Bullies commonly make their victim suffer even worse once they've been named and shamed (unless proper action is taken to handle this). A year or two down the line, the public will hardly be aware of the victim anymore, and I believe that's when the real "witch-hunt" will start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

F.A. wrote: »
    Disturbing, really disturbing. What I find even more worrying is the prospect that the poor girl will almost certainly suffer even more when media-coverage and public outcry subside. Bullies commonly make their victim suffer even worse once they've been named and shamed (unless proper action is taken to handle this). A year or two down the line, the public will hardly be aware of the victim anymore, and I believe that's when the real "witch-hunt" will start...

I would worry about this too - what his peers will do to her after this.

Its like a Tom Murphy play.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

The worst thing about this whole affair is, due to the actions of these people it will discourage others from coming forward and pursuing justice for fear of being vilified and ostracised by their own community.

I can only hope that anyone in this situation will look more to the courage and determination of the victim as well as the fact that justice has been done in the end and the perpetrator receiving his just deserts, instead of being discouraged and intimidated by the actions of these obviously deluded fools.

My sincerest congratulations and thanks go out to the victim for showing the courage and resolve to go through with this in the face of adversity and possibly saving other women from this predator.

How many people actually agree with the judiciary system, its a joke. Life in prison is approx 12 years for example.
    In this case, I agree with the judicary system. Job well done tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I would worry about this too - what his peers will do to her after this.

There's a few facebook pages of his friends knocking about with comments about how 'she'd better hide'. Serious scummy element :( That poor woman, as well as dealing with being sexually assaulted she's got so much horrible crap in her future to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Its seems all this drama isn't benefiting Mr Foley much either, his name has now made it to the wider world courtesy of the Beeb, so much for paying your price to society, keeping the head down and getting on with life without everybody knowing your past! Aw well :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8420097.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 djspanna

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?v=wall&id=1721119433

Interestingly, he also joined Chelsea Headhunters hooligan group and some of the stuff on his site should be investigated by the police, we are starting to see the true colours of his "suuport network" which every second further supports the guilty verdict

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Wow, it's like all the scumbags in Kerry are rallying around this pig. Horrifying stuff. It makes me feel sad that these people actually exist - what has Ireland come to when scumbags like this actually think this is acceptable behaviour.

"one hell of a nice guy........BUT DONT CROSS MY ****IN PATH!"

WOW

The Gardai, the DPP, the 10 men and 2 women of the jury and the judge are all wrong and our little Danny is innocent. What an absolute disgrace!

I love the way the priest, his girlfriend and his brother all spoke about the "alleged incident" before being corrected.

As for the utter scum from the town defending him. Speechless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Yeah, or as others have said, John B Keane.

How's this for a weird coincidence - the real-life murderer Keane based Bull McCabe on was named Dan Foley.
    Keane based the story on the 1959 murder of Moss Moore, a bachelor farmer living in Reamore, County Kerry. Dan Foley, a neighbour with whom Moore had a long-running dispute, was suspected of the murder, but the charges were denied by Foley's family.[1]

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

djspanna wrote: »
    Interestingly, he also joined Chelsea Headhunters hooligan group and some of the stuff on his site should be investigated by the police, we are starting to see the true colours of his "suuport network" which every second further supports the guilty verdict

He was giving out about the Free Staters yesterday!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I've just dropped Fr Sean Sheehy an e mail to let him know my thoughts on his involvement.

I was wondering where you found his email address? Was it on a local website or something? I wouldn't mind sending him one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Why did they take a character reference at all? *SNIP* It was sexual assault*. I don't care if he was popular or seemed nice.

Because the law has to be consistent. As I said before, every sexual assualt case is different.In this case there was lots of evidence indicating an assault had taken place. Usually there is no or little evidence so character references are important in establishing the general tempermant of the accused.
    A significant % of the Profits from the Listowel races should be donated to the Rape Crisis Centre.

To my eyes, this is one of the only ways for the community, as a whole, to recover from their current mess. (And lets face it, while a sex offender, a priest & 50 people* don't necessarily make up a community, they can utterly destroy one)

*on another note, that sounds like the start of a joke!

As I said yesterday, I am from near Listowel and have many relatives from the area. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush. Listowel is a wonderful town rich in culture and heritage with some amazing people living in the area. The towns people there are enormously welcoming friendly bunch and the vast majority of the town completely dissociate and disown the actions of those 50 people.

I really do not like the way peoples reactions are going in this case. If you think this sort of behavior is isolated to Listowel then you are very misguided.
    You only have to read AH every now and again to see what people view of rape and rape victims are. The general consensus is that women ask for it because of what they wear,how much they drink and that usually they make it up to get attention.
    The focus here should not be on vilifying the good towns people of Listowel but foccusing on why sexual assault is so commonplace in our society anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've sent a mail to the parish registering my disgust in Fr Sheehy. It's also given me the impetus to begin the process of officially leaving the catholic church through Count Me Out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I probably get slated for saying this but this case doesn't seem as black and white as some people are making it out to be.

[URL] http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-birthday-hug-turned-into-an-unforgivable-act-1980576.html [/URL]
    Defence counsel Patrick Whym said two of the woman's friends had given evidence that she had not been drunk when they were last speaking to her after 2am, and that she had left the club arm in arm with the accused man. Mr Whym said the woman had huge gaps in her story.

Two of her freinds say she wasn't drunk.
    The former bouncer insisted on buying her a drink and she told the court that once she had taken a sip from the Black Russian she had felt unwell.

So now a sip from a Black Russian makes her pass out??

Advertisement