Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old boy who had consensual sex with 14 year old girl faces 5 years in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yes, let's have a referendum on the subject. This being Ireland, the island of saints and scholars and major sexual hang-ups, it's bound to be a bundle of laughs, a festival of the absurd, a season of the surreal and a binge of the bizzare. Let's have referendums on a whole range of other things as well, not least abortion, religion in schools and, of course, our insane blasphemy legislation. It should keep the media busy for years.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Where are all the feminist groups lobbying for equality? :rolleyes:

i've said it once and i'll say it again, your a bad bad panda :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

davet82 wrote: »
    i've said it once and i'll say it again, your a bad bad panda :D

I'm nice really! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

That's equality for you!

I think we need to start throwing Mars bars again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

From a female perspective- this is unbelievable and ridiculous. It should be equal :/. I heard this on the radio earlier. Discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

How many people here had sex before their 17th birthday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

As per usual the Irish justice system seeks to criminalise being male.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

There is a joke in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Don't answer, he's a narc!! :P

I'm glad I wasnt caught having underage sex Wha wha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Isn't going to stop me.....OOPS....probably shouldn't have said that out loud..........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd rather know why they upheld, before I'd say any more on it. The link attached doesn't give an explination, nor does the article on breaking news: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/supreme-court-upholds-law-allowing-prosecution-of-boys-and-not-girls-for-underage-sex-540989.html#ixzz1nDLdnROh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

ECHR
    ARTICLE 14

The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.

CFHREU
    Article 20
    Equality before the law
    Everyone is equal before the law.

Article 21
    Non-discrimination
    1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic
    features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority,
    property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited.

UNDHR
    Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

=====
    =====

Cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcspongeicus

What do people think of this? Again this guy's appeal has been dismissed.A 15 year old boy been charged for having consensual sex with a 14 year old girl. Stinks of sexism and descrimination.
    Does anyone know anything about this law in an international sense, do other European countries have similar laws against males.. It seems bizarely archaic.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0223/court.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Is the supreme court made up of overly protective fathers?

Presumably they have to rule on the law as it stands, which would limit common sense on the matter. Presumably.

As to the OP - some of the greatest load of hare brained **** of all time, and I'll probably be long dead before its even looked at, let alone fixed.

florio wrote: »
    The lawyer says no sane person would be happy with 14 and 15 year old's having sex together- that's most of central Europe, South America, and China who are lunatics then. :rolleyes:

It also confuses 'not being happy with' and 'wanting to bring criminal proceedings'. Arseholes, the whole lot of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...It seems bizarely archaic.

Thats Irish law for you still.
    Still stupid in parts and much outdated, unchanged by out of date, living in the past assholes!

The whole concept of this surely breaks international descrimination law??

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Is the supreme court made up of overly protective fathers?

No, Just out of date assholes!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'd rather know why they upheld, before I'd say any more on it. The link attached doesn't give an explination, nor does the article on breaking news: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/supreme-court-upholds-law-allowing-prosecution-of-boys-and-not-girls-for-underage-sex-540989.html#ixzz1nDLdnROh
    On the radio earlier it said the judges both agreed on it being because the girl can get pregnant.
    Both female judges too (on the original case and appeal)

• Advertisement

The whole concept of this surely breaks international descrimination law??

Having a law that applies only to one sex rather than another?
    I'm guessing but in this particular situation, I would say so.

I hope the lad takes his case to the Europe courts and Ireland once again is shown how fcuking stupid and out of date, some of our laws still are - and whats worse still upheld by unwilling idiots who refuse to change whats much needed to be changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Any chance that this will be brought to the European court of human rights? Seems like our own system is unable / not willing to chance it.

yes the application of a law that actively discriminates against one sex.

He should go all the way with this. I wonder what the outcome of a 14 year old boy and a 15 year old girl would be. Would the boy still get prosecuted under our laws? i guess he'd have to.

Teenagers are going to have sex, law or no law.

There are the obvious concerns regarding paedophilia and grooming and the like but a more sensible appoach may be called for

On the radio earlier it said the judges both agreed on it being because the girl can get pregnant.
    Both female judges too (on the original case and appeal)

Read that - and to me thats a miserable out of date excuse they are using to keep this unfair law existing!

Sex is just that, sex. The act of penetration between two people.
    Irrespective of later a person finding out they are to be a mother - or a boy/man finding out he's caught an STD.

A sex act was involved in both cases (or other examples possible) and the law should be applied equally to both sexes!
    ...Thats how I see it, short version.

Should anyone be fucking prosecuted in this instance is the more relevant question....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That judge (or judges) needs sacking ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

What a f***ing retarded idea. Prosecuting a 15 year old for consentual sex, something adults do everyday without retribution. What a f***ing stupid country this is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

strobe wrote: »
    ECHR
    ARTICLE 14

The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status.

CFHREU
    Article 20
    Equality before the law
    Everyone is equal before the law.

Article 21
    Non-discrimination
    1. Any discrimination based on any ground such as sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic
    features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority,
    property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation shall be prohibited.

UNDHR
    Article 7.

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

=====
    =====

Cunts.

In before you're accused of peddling all that freeman nonsense in our constitution........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

bring back the death penalty

Advertisement