Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old boy who had consensual sex with 14 year old girl faces 5 years in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

They need to make the law clearer.
    A 15 year old and 14 year old, either punish them both or neither.

A 16 year old and a 12 year old, I would take issue with that.

In this guy's case, well it's a bloody shame they don't give tougher sentences to real rapists instead of a fooking "quick win" like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Moomoo1 wrote: »
    I can see why they did it - some research states that in up to 20% cases of teenage pregnancy the girl is either forced or talked into having sex whilst not actually wanting to, since at that age women aren't yet on guard against unwanted advances as much as in adulthood. But surely instead of jailing people at random they should educate girls more...

What about the other 80% who weren't, try justifying this Act to their boyfriends.

Also if force or coercion is used it is rape - consent has to be freely given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you think this is wrong, please do something. Email you TD's and the Dept of Justice, let them know that you think this is wrong and you want the legislation changed. Its the only way they will know how people feel about this legislation

I would suggest we try to keep this thread going obviously remaining on topic. It would be a handy thing to point to in an email or letter to a TD to show how so many people are united on this one particular issue. I dont think we have had a thread on AH in quite some time that was unanimous in that every post disagreed with the law.

The thread and its many many pages on Pamela Icantspellhersurname's immigration case was mentioned on I think it was prime time, to show just how many people were talking about it and had an opinion on it.

I will be writing to my local TD today, and will provide a link to here to show him how many registered voters disagree with this arcane law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sweetcdimplebum

I think that this has seriously got to be the most rediculous thing ever!! That poor boy is going to be branded a sex offernder...he is only 18...it's s o rediculous..!! !It was CONSENTUAL for crying outloud!! If it was her parents that brought this to court...they should seriously be ashamed of themselves...how rediculous...it would be different if he had hurt her...or for that matter ra*ed her....but she was there...annd wanted it as much as him!!! It is just soooo stupid, and this country is really shameful if this boy gets locked up! Look at all the young girls at the age of 15 and 16 walking around with children...?? why arent their boyfriends./baby-daddys all arested...?? STUUPIDNESS!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

i think my eyes are bleeding

Did anyone else notice in the original article how it says pregnancy is the deterrant for a girl having sex, so lets make imprisonment the deterrant for a boy?!

WTF...:confused:

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    i think my eyes are bleeding

Did anyone else notice in the original article how it says pregnancy is the deterrant for a girl having sex, so lets make imprisonment the deterrant for a boy?!

WTF...:confused:

Obviously coined by someone who is so out of touch with reality they don't realise girls have urges too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

mars bar wrote: »
    Ugh, that's complicated...

If it's not consensual, it's rape.

If it's consensual, it's not rape.

Should be as simple as that.

How do you prove it ... that is the question.

professore wrote: »
    How do you prove it ... that is the question.

Guard: Did you want to do it?
    Girl: Yes

Guard: Let the boy out of the Cell!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

This is why i think every law in the country should be looked at every few years, and if it's not needed it should be thrown out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nasty_Girl wrote: »
    They need to make the law clearer.
    A 15 year old and 14 year old, either punish them both or neither.

A 16 year old and a 12 year old, I would take issue with that.

In this guy's case, well it's a bloody shame they don't give tougher sentences to real rapists instead of a fooking "quick win" like this.

what about 13 year olds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The young chap falls into a gaping crack in the system that needs to be addressed, and will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

snyper wrote: »
    The young chap falls into a gaping crack in the system that needs to be addressed, and will.

gaping crack... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Apologies if this been asked earlier in the thread. But surely the law used to prosecute him is against EU rules if it's gender discriminatory?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Easily influenced and all that. Nobody tells young people that these people aren't saying nice sweet things because them mean them!

Oh come on! Some adults have yet to learn these lessons and some of them never do.

This situation is ridiculous to the extreme and highlights some of the major inconsistencies within Irish Law. They are archaic and blantantly sexist and there's no excuse for punishing kids for being kids.

Until these 2 recent cases came to light I was under the impression that the age of consent was 16 for girls and boys...clearly a lack of proper education on my behalf anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Seonad wrote: »
    Oh come on! Some adults have yet to learn these lessons and some of them never do.

That's exactly what I am talking about though. Least if young ones were taught about these things it would help future generations.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    That's exactly what I am talking about though. Least if young ones were taught about these things it would help future generations.:)
    Perhaps it would but don't forget how stubborn we are. I can imagine some kids simply rolling their eyes at any attempted advice giving, sure you always know better yourself;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Seonad wrote: »
    Perhaps it would but don't forget how stubborn we are. I can imagine some kids simply rolling their eyes at any attempted advice giving, sure you always know better yourself;)

Yeah that's true. If they gave real life scenarios and talked through each one like mini case studies! Instead of going....1 do this...2 don't do that....3 definitely don't do that. etc

Is this case on the news still or...is it finishing up sometime soon and that's what it has been in the media recently?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To think that only 0.5% of rapists get convicted in Ireland and this is one of them...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Apologies if this been asked earlier in the thread. But surely the law used to prosecute him is against EU rules if it's gender discriminatory?
    It probably is but as yet (that I know of) no one has gone down this route probably due to cost, effort by all those involved, etc.

All it will take is one to challenge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

By the logic of these charges... Junior Cert results night :eek:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 florio

The lawyer says no sane person would be happy with 14 and 15 year old's having sex together- that's most of central Europe, South America, and China who are lunatics then. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

My mate had sex with a girl that used to be 12 years old, absolute sicko
    Anyone aged from 13 to 120+ "used to be 12 years old" :D
    If your on the sex offender registry then everybody thinks you're a child abusing pedophile when you can be put on for statutory rape, and even mooning.
    In some countries people have found themselves on the register after urinating in public when it turned out they were (unknowingly) within 1000 feet of a school
    eviltwin wrote: »
    In fairness sex ed should be done at home preferably from a very young age...its not fair to rely on the schools to do parents work for them
    In fairness a lot of parents are incredibly ignorant regarding sexual matters to the extent that it would explain in a lot of cases how they became parents in the first place.
    This is why i think every law in the country should be looked at every few years, and if it's not needed it should be thrown out
    Giving TD's some work to do ? Why come on now we couldnt have that........

But seriously in the United States IIRC most legislation needs to be renewed by congress every seven years and only becomes permanent after three renewals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The Supreme Court has delivered a landmark judgement upholding the constitutionality of a law that allows teenage boys - but not teenage girls - to be prosecuted for having underage sex.

Not sure if this is the correct location for this discussion. Anyway it looks like boys are still legally discriminated against in underage sex. Do people think this is a fair decision or should we have a referendum on the subject.

Personally I feel that the boy should have equal rights as the girl.

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/20363443/?view=Standard

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Totally agree that there should be equal culpability in these situations

It is ridiculous to use female reproductive capacity as the basis for this judgement.

There is a general discrimination in this country towards men - a major case in point being the way in which the state treats single/unmarried fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm absolutely sickened by this. I believe in equal rights all round, and this is basically the Supreme Court of the land saying discrimination is OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This is bollocks.

Lets have a referendum on it.

(If only to see what the likes of COIR would come out with).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Totally agree, referendum is defo need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Nicccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Is the supreme court made up of overly protective fathers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Where are all the feminist groups lobbying for equality? :rolleyes:

Advertisement