Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 year old boy who had consensual sex with 14 year old girl faces 5 years in prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I remember hearing about that too! Crazzzzzy stuff.

Surely if the lad could get the female and the females family to speak to the courts/lawyers/whoever and ask for this matter to be dropped it could help in some way??:confused:

I'd imagine that the girl's parents were the ones who pushed for the boy to be prosecuted. Just guessing but I think the most likely explanation would be that the girl's parents caught them having sex and flipped, which is understandable I suppose, but this is over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

The kid has a case, there is a definite gender discrimination, how come Ireland can get none of these moral type laws right. The abortion law, divorce, civil partnership. If I was to believe in conspiracy theory, I think the briefs write these laws, flawed, to secure future legal work. The challenges to the abortion laws has to have cost this state millions and millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

dioltas wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the girl's parents were the ones who pushed for the boy to be prosecuted. Just guessing but I think the most likely explanation would be that the girl's parents caught them having sex and flipped...

Yeah but after 3 years you would think they might have mellowed out a bit. Some people just have blinkers on and can't think in any other way.
    They have probably completely turned the girl against the poor lad as well. That crap happens alot of the time too. Which doesn't help cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

The fact that he could be put on the sex offender registry is ridiculous in itself. It's an absolutely ridiculous law. I saw a cause on Facebook that was trying to get it so that anybody on the sex offender registry won't be allowed to use it. All of the comments were things like "I agree, keep our children safe" and stuff.

If your on the sex offender registry then everybody thinks you're a child abusing pedophile when you can be put on for statutory rape, and even mooning.

How is this going to help people? They have to spend their whole lives with people thinking there pedophiles and rapists, which is just going to isolate them and embitter them. There is no assault registry, or robbery registry. In the eyes of the law, you are absolved once you have done prison time yet not with any of these so called sexual offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The fact that he could be put on the sex offender registry is ridiculous in itself. It's an absolutely ridiculous law. I saw a cause on Facebook that was trying to get it so that anybody on the sex offender registry won't be allowed to use it. All of the comments were things like "I agree, keep our children safe" and stuff.

If your on the sex offender registry then everybody thinks you're a child abusing pedophile when you can be put on for statutory rape, and even mooning.

How is this going to help people? They have to spend their whole lives with people thinking there pedophiles and rapists, which is just going to isolate them and embitter them. There is no assault registry, or robbery registry. In the eyes of the law, you are absolved once you have done prison time yet not with any of these so called sexual offences.

He cant be put on the registar, there is less then a 2 year age gap

• Advertisement

Yeah but after 3 years you would think they might have mellowed out a bit. Some people just have blinkers on and can't think in any other way.
    They have probably completely turned the girl against the poor lad as well. That crap happens alot of the time too. Which doesn't help cases.

This is purely a DPP decision at this stage. Its a criminal not a civil case - but it does seem strange that a charge was brought in the first place.

This boy is not claiming that he thought the girl was 17, as far as I am aware but then hopefully it won't come to trial anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He aint 15 right now....he's 18 now.

Just to clarify for some folks who think he is 15 right now!

My mate had sex with a girl that used to be 12 years old, absolute sicko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

it's a stupid law anyway if they both consented there should be no problem!! PC gone mad
    But it's "PC gone mad" when it's deemed ok for underage kids to have sex... so... gah, the confuzzlement! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

If they were both under 16 at the time, then they can't consent to sex. In effect, this means that they were both victims, and cannot be held responsible as perpetrators.

You cannot be a victim and the criminal at the same time...

There is a lot of talk about lowering the age of consent, but it doesn't solve the problem. If you lower the age to 14, then what happens if a 13 year old gets it on with his 12 year old girlfriend?

The problem is the limit being set at a specific age. Age-based laws will never be fair. I know many 18 year olds who really aren't mature enough to vote or consume alcohol, yet they can. And I know some 15 year olds who are very mature and could probably vote/drink responsibly.

The current laws are there because it's hard to measure maturity. Finding an alternative is difficult though...

That's exactly it. I remember around the time of the Mr. X case, there was talk of introducing a two-year lage gap betweent people who are underage, or something along those lines. But even somthing like that would cause problems because, as you said, not everybody has the same level of maturity at 18, or whatever.

Such a law is fraught with difficulties and could happens and maybes, so whatever change does happen, if any, there will be problems relating to it.

But like I said, this is fairly ridiculous. The fact that it's the guy being charged is out and out sexual discrimination. If he was 14 and she was 15 then he'd still be charged.

This is purely a DPP decision at this stage. Its a criminal not a civil case - but it does seem strange that a charge was brought in the first place.

Yeah I realised about the whole DPP thing which was why I said in an earlier post if maybe the girl and her family could at least voice their feelings on the matter(hopefully in a good way and tell them to drop it!)...it could help the lads case? Would look good at least.
    My mate had sex with a girl that used to be 12 years old, absolute sicko

12 is definitely too young.
    Hell 14 is far too young. Everyone thinks they really and truely are mature at that age but they seriously are not. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

17 is recognised by the state as the age of consent... so how could he of had "Consentual" sex with someone who is 14?

As far as the law is concerned... it wasn't her choice to consent...

(I only read OP's Opinion on this topic and chances are this has been raised already through the fúck lot of pages listed here already.... still the point stands)

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kynareth

17 is recognised by the state as the age of consent... so how could he of had "Consentual" sex with someone who is 14?

(I only read OP's Opinion on this topic and chances are this has been raised already through the fúck lot of pages listed here already.... still the point stands)

- Drav!
    That again is discrimination, As by that logic a girl cant make a decision about her own body until the state consents to it. Rather than the person it will ultimately affect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Kynareth wrote: »
    That again is discrimination, As by that logic a girl cant make a decision about her own body until the state consents to it. Rather than the person it will ultimately affect.

i'm going out on a limb here... but i'm guessing as the girl was also a minor... it was her parents that may of reported the incident? She doesn't have a choice in the matter... nor does he... If it was his parents that reported the issue... then it should be the girl getting persicuted...

either way, they didn't have a choice and who ever gets screwed after getting laid is really a coin toss...

The law doesn't care if they are "in love"

- Drav!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

- Drav!

But he could give it ?

Hell 14 is far too young. Everyone thinks they really and truely are mature at that age but they seriously are not. :(

I think you need to read the post more carefully.

jhegarty wrote: »
    But he could give it ?

check out the post i made just before you qouted mine.

As minors they cannot actually put forward any sort of problems to the Gards / Courts, it need to be Parents / Gaurdians...

- Drav!

Jay P wrote: »
    That's exactly it. I remember around the time of the Mr. X case, there was talk of introducing a two-year lage gap betweent people who are underage, or something along those lines. But even somthing like that would cause problems because, as you said, not everybody has the same level of maturity at 18, or whatever.

Such a law is fraught with difficulties and could happens and maybes, so whatever change does happen, if any, there will be problems relating to it.

But like I said, this is fairly ridiculous. The fact that it's the guy being charged is out and out sexual discrimination. If he was 14 and she was 15 then he'd still be charged.

It would make some sense if the law set a specific age for both sexes.

A 2 year age gap exists with regard to being listed on Sex Offenders Registar

I am sure a wealth of research exists with regard to the age of first time sexual experience, and it must be remembered that the 2006 Act allows for all sexual contact or attempted sexual contact with a person under 17 to be criminalised. You don't even get a chance to have a feel out of curiosity sake - or you could end up in jail. Its makes no sense - its natural to be curious

I think he would be unlikely to be charged if he was 14 as he would be the victim under section 2 - but you couldn't say with any degree of certainty

I think you need to read the post more carefully.

Nope. Don't think I do.
    He said a mate of his used to have sex with a girl who use to be 12 at the time. Maybe he was making some form of joke as in "used to be 12" as in everybody was once 12 or whatever.

Either way I still say 12,13 and 14 is way to young.

If they would bloody teach proper sex ed in Irish schools!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Fair play to him for challenging this ... I hope to god he wins and gets the laws changed to protect lads like him

It makes me so angry that we have sick mother fcukers like the priests who rape and abuse children over and over again and get away with it without so much as a slap on the wrists and then guys like this who have consensual sex with their girlfriends in the context of a relationship are facing a criminal record

Where is the justice?????

It would make you want to laugh if it wasnt so tragic...

Nope. Don't think I do.
    He said a mate of his used to have sex with a girl who use to be 12 at the time. Maybe he was making some form of joke as in "used to be 12" as in everybody was once 12 or whatever.

Either way I still say 12,13 and 14 is way to young.

If they would bloody teach proper sex ed in Irish schools!!!:mad:

At the time isn't anywhere in the post you quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yeah I realised about the whole DPP thing which was why I said in an earlier post if maybe the girl and her family could at least voice their feelings on the matter(hopefully in a good way and tell them to drop it!)...it could help the lads case? Would look good at least.

....no offense but I really think you'd be surprised by the amount of 14 and 13 years olds doing it today. The numbers are shocking. Kids are more mature now, and yes they are engaging in this sort of thing. How do I know this? Well I'm 20. I know what me and my friends were at at 14 and 15. Hell my little sister is 13 now and some of her friends are at it too. Things have changed from your day bud!

At the time isn't anywhere in the post you quoted.

No because I was using my own wording in my post.

Anyway. We will stick to the topic at hand. :)

....no offense but I really think you'd be surprised by the amount of 14 and 13 years olds doing it today. The numbers are shocking. Kids are more mature now, and yes they are engaging in this sort of thing. How do I know this? Well I'm 20. I know what me and my friends were at at 14 and 15. Hell my little sister is 13 now and some of her friends are at it too. Things have changed from your day bud!

I'm only 23!!! :eek: Not that much older than ya :P
    I know exactly what 14 year olds are like that's why I said what I did. I was up to the same carry on. I thought of myself as mature as most ones that age do. But if I had have been better informed I'd say I would have waited.

I'm sure that ones younger than 13 are experimenting with sex. Times have changed but I don't think kids are anymore "mature" they just have more access to sex and what it's suppose to be like. They still have no access to the emotional consequences or even physical ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

i'm going out on a limb here... but i'm guessing as the girl was also a minor... it was her parents that may of reported the incident? She doesn't have a choice in the matter... nor does he... If it was his parents that reported the issue... then it should be the girl getting persicuted...
    !

The girl can't be prosecuted under the current law, which is kind of the problem here. Also, as far as I'm aware, parents reporting two people committing a "crime" doesn't usually lead to just the other one getting arrested.

Neither child could give consent legally - they were both equally at fault in that regard. However, for some ridiculous reason, legally only the boy can be prosecuted. Its absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I know exactly what 14 year olds are like that's why I said what I did. I was up to the same carry on. I thought of myself as mature as most ones that age do. But if I had have been better informed I'd say I would have waited.

I'm sure that ones younger than 13 are experimenting with sex. Times have changed but only in that young ones have more access to sex and what it's suppose to be like. They still have no access to the emotional consequences or even physical ones.
    Haha sorry was to lazy to check your age! ;)

I honestly wouldn't have waited. It was a pretty big deal! We talked about it for ages (both me&the girls and me&him). I don't regret doing it now. i was going out with him for a year almost at the time. I don't feel it had any emotional or physical consequence on me!

I think that people are having sex younger and younger now because they are more exposed to it- telly, internet, movies etc. But without the adequate sex education in our schools it leads to curiosity. Which leads to under age sex and sadly in some cases, underage pregnancy. Thats where I think the main problem lies

I'm sure that ones younger than 13 are experimenting with sex. Times have changed but I don't think kids are anymore "mature" they just have more access to sex and what it's suppose to be like. They still have no access to the emotional consequences or even physical ones.

You learnt from your own experiences then, which is the way must people learn things, the do as I say not as I do or did argument doesn't work.

You have to learn from your own mistakes.

This is not only about intercourse, any form of sexual contact as this can constitute a sexual assualt. And it is natural for young teenagers to be interested in each others bodies, that why they develope at this age, the law seems to overlook this fact

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haha sorry was to lazy to check your age! ;)

I honestly wouldn't have waited. It was a pretty big deal! We talked about it for ages (both me&the girls and me&him). I don't regret doing it now. i was going out with him for a year almost at the time. I don't feel it had any emotional or physical consequence on me!

I think that people are having sex younger and younger now because they are more exposed to it- telly, internet, movies etc. But without the adequate sex education in our schools it leads to curiosity. Which leads to under age sex and sadly in some cases, underage pregnancy. Thats where I think the main problem lies

In fairness sex ed should be done at home preferably from a very young age...its not fair to rely on the schools to do parents work for them

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Also, as far as I'm aware, parents reporting two people committing a "crime" doesn't usually lead to just the other one getting arrested.

Unfortunately parents reporting and insisting on a prosecution has resulted in a person being convicted of this crime within the past few months

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The girl can't be prosecuted under the current law, which is kind of the problem here. Also, as far as I'm aware, parents reporting two people committing a "crime" doesn't usually lead to just the other one getting arrested.

Neither child could give consent legally - they were both equally at fault in that regard. However, for some ridiculous reason, legally only the boy can be prosecuted. Its absurd.

Podge,

I get what yer saying, but as i mentioned "Going out on a limb"... the parents can put foward a case to the gards on their kids behalf about a problem due to the other person when their kid is a minor... any claims by a minor has to go through parent / gaurdian when a case is presented, unless they are the problem... no idea what happens then tbh.

But in this instance, I believe the only reason it's been reported is because of the girl's parent / gaurdian.

Regardless of that... both kids would of known they were under age... they know they broke the law... doesn't change anything...

- Drav!

EDIT
    And it is natural for young teenagers to be interested in each others bodies, that why they develope at this age, the law seems to overlook this fact

The law is not required to recognise this idea...

Kids can be curious about drink... drugs...

Should exceptions be made for those also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Sorry if someone else made this point but the law states that a 15 year old male is guilty but a 15 year old female isn't because of the threat of pregnancy. Does that then mean that if it can be proven that the female is infertile that she too becomes guilty?

Advertisement