Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you had your 1st proper boyfriend

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

23. Had shnogged many boys before that but never lasted really, except for 2 or 3 whom I met up with several times. Enjoyed my singledom life but content to share my life with someone else at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 drunky monkey

i was 17 for my 1st proper boyfriend ........ oh wait my only proper boyfriend !! 6 year mark is creeping up !! eekkk !! most of my friends had had serious boyfriends from the age of 15 /16 !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭qwerty2

I was 14 when I had my first boyfriend. Lasted about four months and though I thought I loved him at the time (cringe*) I realise now how naive I was. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

had plenty of one nite stands up untill about 2 and half yrs ago meet my gfrind then.still with here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 eccie

Was 15- he was 19.
    Were together 3 months and popped my cherry with him.
    Fun while it lasted- but was never love

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

I was 16 going on 17. It lasted nearly 5 years until last february when I ended things. We lived together throughout college and now I'm the postgrad living the single life... :eek: Confusing territory!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was with my first boyfriend when I was 13, it was a summer thing so it was only a few weeks really. I suppose my first proper boyfriend was when I was 14, we were together for nearly two years

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tuckmill

I was 15 when i had my first proper boyfriend and was with him until I was 21, i admit i wouldn't advise it, as you miss out on a lot of the fun years but since then i have been making up for it in a more mature manner :D It was a very good experience and it did allow me to understand guys from an early age so i had a good advantage over a lot of people when i was in my early 20's ;) though they still shock the hell out of me at times :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I was 15, he was 17! 2 years together, My parents loved him! I did too I suppose but now 10 years later he thinks we can just slip back into where we were!

He wants to move home from Oz to be with me!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I was 13/14 we were together for about 8/9 months it was all so innocent :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

ugh I hate the fact that this thread is back.

I don't like to think about my first boyfriend. He was a total loser and it embarrasses me to no end that I ever went out with him at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Xiney wrote: »
    ugh I hate the fact that this thread is back.

I don't like to think about my first boyfriend. He was a total loser and it embarrasses me to no end that I ever went out with him at all.

Take a positive from it Xiney, you've moved on and much happier :)

I met my first proper boyfriend when I was 16, he was a couple of years older than me. We were as reckless as each other, fought often because he was jealous and paranoid about other guys looking at or even talking to me. I tried all I could to reassure him, but it was basically pissing against the wind. When I would tell him we should call it a day, it was puppy eyes and I'm sorries, and I fell for it a lot. I thought it was just a flaw of his, and that he'd eventually cop on. It never happened, and before I knew it my teenage years, and most of my twenties were wasted on him.

It was me, thankfully that got some cop on, and I'm a much happier person for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I was over 20, hadn't even been kissed before.

If I'd known then what I know now, I'd still be waiting.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Giselle wrote: »
    I was over 20, hadn't even been kissed before.

If I'd known then what I know now, I'd still be waiting.:(

It doesn't really matter when the first kiss happens Giselle. It happens when it happens, for the good or the bad. My first kiss was when I was thirteen, and it was bloody awful. I think he was trying to find my dinner :pac:

Whether waiting it out or not was intentional, its rare the first kiss is the one that means something long term. Your post is a lil cryptic. How old are you now, and how have things gone since?

I'll speak randomly because I don't know what happened in your case, but sometimes ya goddah kiss a few frogs before ya find.. actually I think I'm gonna make myself vomit now.. :pac: but yano what I mean. There is so much pressure on women in their twenties, thirties +++++ to find the 'right one'. Relationships can only begin on a solid foundation of friendship, respect and trust. They don't all come together at once, its a gradual process.

I had to make a lot of mistakes before I realised that I needed. Something very simple was the answer, someone who makes me happy. When other things in life fall apart, you've a person (cheezy bit) to fall back on, and vice versa. You can't put a price on that.

Giselle, I / we all can't tell you when you find someone, but appreciate what you have to offer to someone else and take it all in your stride :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Define proper and also it's possible to have had a gf instead :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I was 15, so was he. I was in boarding school and he was what the nuns used to refer to as the dregs of the town and/or the scrapings of the barrel. He was a perfectly respectable young fella from a decent family. He was a life guard at the local pool where we were allowed down to swim at weekends. His fecking speedos were the bane of my life - I still go hot and cold with embarrassment at remembering his goods on display for all to see. I don't think I ever did look properly. :D It was a great relationship. Together all term and then I'd go home and get off with someone at the local disco and he'd cop off with the first Spanish student that came his way. Term would begin again and I'd be all upset at him two-timing me (forgetting my own peccadilloes) and he'd be unrepentant. We had fun together though and the best fun was had evading nuns and teachers.

Eventually, my arch-nemesis, the headmistress, caught up with me, catching us together out of bounds and expelled me from school a week before the Leaving Cert (may she rot in hell). I rubbed her nose in it by turning up to the Grad with him though. The relationship ended when I went to university and he was still in school - he was a year behind me. I left my best friend in fifth year to keep an eye on him - she did this a little too well. He also decided to spend his savings on a motorbike and not an engagement ring for me. I was devestated. Cue loads of phone calls to the Samaritans. :D It hurt like crazy at the time and now I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I had a few 'boyfriends' when I was bout 13, but it was a case of holding their hand at lunchtime in school and innocent kissing, and being too shy to actually talk to them but nonetheless being able to tell your mates that you had a boyfriend :D

My first boyfriend that i had "oh-my-god-i-love-this-person-I-will-stay-with-him forever" thoughts about was when I was 17. Emphasis on "thought". Though Im not sure if you're first love counts as when you were in teenager-infatuation-love or proper 'adult' love, if you get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

I was 19, he was 21 and we're still together after 3 and a half years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ms_Taurus wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity how old were you when you had your 1st proper boyfriend

I was 23 when I had my first boyfriend, in my late 30s now, I did not have any boyfriends when I was a teenager parents were strict

23 I think is way too old to start dating, the guys I went out with were well experienced

I was 18 when I started dating - debs was my first ever date but didn't date properly until I was 19 when I started college. I didn't have my first proper seriousish boyfriend until I was about 21 (old for some people, I was ok with it cause I wasn't really ready for anything serious I'm still not ready for anything serious and I'm 25!) The first proper relationship was more than just a fling and more than just one date whom I had a couple of dates with, went out together and were seeing each other a couple of weeks. It lasted two months which was my longest relationship and I'm not bothered by that if people are well tough luck. That's just the way it panned out. I have gone out on say a couple of platonic dates before I met my ex but haven't had anything like that since. I rather just get to know guys, be friends with them and be able to talk to them and hang out with rather than just date and have fun. Going out on the prowl has slowly dimmed a bit.

Honestly OP you have nothing to worry about everyone is different. Everyone develops differently when it comes to dating. I was a lateish developer when it came to dating in comparsion to my peers. Physically I was developed very young but when it came to dating I didn't develop very young. I just wasn't ready to start dating and having boyfriends and stuff like until I felt ready regardless of how old I was. I was very shy then but once I came out of my shell I became more confident when it came to lads. 23 is a little old to start 'dating' but to have your first perhaps serious boyfriend at 23 isn't bad though. Its understandable if your parents were strict, I feel that my parents and my family had a huge influence over me when It came to that sort of thing when I was younger, not so much now but they still do to a certain degree but my friends are influencing more but still think in the same frame of mind and thinking as my parents and family when it comes to dating and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I was 15 he was 18. He used to call down to my house at 6:30 and we'd go for a walk and he'd leave me home at 8:30 so I could study. This went on for 2 months (only kissing - nothing else). My best friend at the time hated him - so I was stunned one night when I went round to her after he left that he was wearing the face off her at her hall door. I never spoke to either again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

I was 14, a few months into first year. We went 'out' for months, had a few awkward teeth bashing moments, a few fumbles under the school uniform etc. All innocent stuff.
    I was in love. School broke up for the summer hols and he never spoke to me again! *heartbroken*

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

well, the first boy I went out with (and by going out with, i mean talked to at lunch time for about a week) was at 13. i didnt even kiss, hold hands with or make any sort of psyical movement towards, but i got teased about it for the following 5 years of school. so i was scared to go near a boy for fear the whole school would laugh at me!

I suppose the first proper boyfriend I had was at 21, in college. we went out for about 4 years. eventualy things just werent fun anymore and we went out seperate ways. I think hes engaged now, im still single. I miss him, like you would miss a friend you hadent seen in ages, but im kind of glad we arent together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

18 and in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 stella09

I was 15/16 we went out for jus over a yr!!:D twas great! we were on/off more than a light switch & then we had the big one!! but we remained friends always had time for each other!
    We both started seein other people, i wasted 2yrs with an A$$... which my ex never liked to see me with only took me 2 yrs to figure out why! but when he caught wind we were over he finished with his GF, tracked down my number i get a txt, im standin on my office table screamin when i figure out its him, go to the cinema that evening & its like we never left each others side! that was 5.5yrs ago, we have our house, our beautiful son, iv a beautiful rock.... and he is my soulmate and we always knew we jus needed to grow up & experience the world! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

stella09 wrote: »
    I was 15/16 we went out for jus over a yr!!:D twas great! we were on/off more than a light switch & then we had the big one!! but we remained friends always had time for each other!
    We both started seein other people, i wasted 2yrs with an A$$... which my ex never liked to see me with only took me 2 yrs to figure out why! but when he caught wind we were over he finished with his GF, tracked down my number i get a txt, im standin on my office table screamin when i figure out its him, go to the cinema that evening & its like we never left each others side! that was 5.5yrs ago, we have our house, our beautiful son, iv a beautiful rock.... and he is my soulmate and we always knew we jus needed to grow up & experience the world! :D:D:D

Aww that's so cute. Such a lovely story, wish we could all have that kind of happy ending! :( Even when I was going out with my ex (first bf) I could never see myself getting married to him. I had a lucky escape though. We weren't very happy in our relationship towards the end and didn't end that well. Other issues cropped up too so couldn't work through them. He now has a child of his own with another ex but is single. Not bothered that we didn't last though. We just weren't right for each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 milkybar kid wk

14 and it was a first girlfriend and she wud have only been 13

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭NeuroticMonkey

21, a few dates here and there before that but nothing serious, am fairly quiet, cant stand night clubs and that so dont go out much

Me Too!!

A kindred spirit. :D

Having said that I've had a couple of boyfriends, mostly just three month relationships. Was 18 when I had my first "proper" boyfriend (well as proper as a three month relationship allows lol).

I was 14 when I had my first kiss. It was one of those horribly uncomfortable sweaty awkward type of situations around the back at a junior disco...my friend had just got off with his mate and, I still suspect it was a case of my friend giving him the "Will you shift me friend??" speech!!

Ah the innocence! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm 17 and I've never had a proper anything. The extent of my relationship experience is gaeltacht romances that lasted about 2 weeks, and they were with boys not girls so they don't count:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I has turned 14 two months earlier, he had just turned 17.

I realise now at 18 and a half (and him at 21) that I've long outgrown him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

First boyfriend at 15
    First actual adult relationship at 22

Same as OP parents were quiet strict but I honestly don't feel like I missed out on anything.
    If anything, I can thank them for it as I didn't end up pregnant at 16 like a lot of girls my age that time back home and end up been stuck in same village with same fella since 14/15 and got to experience a lot of the world and now I'm in a very happy relationship for last three and a half years with a wonderful fella who is also my bestest friend!:D

PS. Don't mean to sound condescending, I'm sure some people are happy with 1st boyf or whatever but I know of a lot that aren't and feel stuck in a rut.

I think it's important for people to do everything they want to do in life and have no regrets (travelling/partying/being a bit crazy! etc.) before settling down

My sister went out with a guy for 5yrs from 17 when she moved outta home (remember the strict parents and he was bit of a control freak)for college til she was 23 and realised she'd missed out on so much of the fun stuff being young and had never just let herself go!

She is now happily married to a guy she met in Korea she is a happier person and has no regrets;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement