Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That's all we have time for...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

What I don't understand is why RTE (aka the taxpayer) is responsible for the welfare of all these alleged comedians. Why does the taxpayer have to support them.If they are good we will go and see them and pay for the privilege. If they are no good we will not. But since RTE receives a licence fee we have no choice but to pay these guys whether they are funny or not. (mostly not)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Rookster wrote: »
    What I don't understand is why RTE (aka the taxpayer) is responsible for the welfare of all these alleged comedians. Why does the taxpayer have to support them.If they are good we will go and see them and pay for the privilege. If they are no good we will not. But since RTE receives a licence fee we have no choice but to pay these guys whether they are funny or not. (mostly not)

They do well on the stand up scene TBH and both Barry and Mario are highly successful. But you are right RTÉ are not their for the welfare of any comedian. But then neither is the BBC or any public service broadcaster.

Educate, Entertain and Inform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Elmo wrote: »
    They do well on the stand up scene TBH and both Barry and Mario are highly successful. But you are right RTÉ are not their for the welfare of any comedian. But then neither is the BBC or any public service broadcaster.
    Educate, Entertain and Inform

Maybe RTE should just stick to Educate and Inform.

Rookster wrote: »
    Maybe RTE should just stick to Educate and Inform.

Possibly but then we would be complaining that they never even try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Lemondrop kid

Kevin Myers.
    Manages to encapsulate everything I could possible hate in a human being.

The only time I want to see him on TV is in an episode of Futurama, as a long dead head in a jar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Kevin Myers.
    Manages to encapsulate everything I could possible hate in a human being.

The only time I want to see him on TV is in an episode of Futurama, as a long dead head in a jar.

Completely disagree, I think he raises some very valid points in his articles, particularly in relation to unchecked immigration and the effect of Islam on our culture. He's also a very talented writer. His articles are about one of the only selling points of the Irish Independent for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

sesna wrote: »
    Completely disagree, I think he raises some very valid points in his articles, particularly in relation to unchecked immigration and the effect of Islam on our culture. He's also a very talented writer. His articles are about one of the only selling points of the Irish Independent for me.

+ 1. Immigration, trade unions, pay rates, social inclusion, the list in endless. Myers continually hits the nail on the head.

As for his TV performance in this show he should be in the hotseat and not a team capt. As had been rightly mentioned earlier.

Yes, he does hit an endless amount of subjects squarely on the head.
    So does my toddler nephew when playing with his new blocks and hammer pressie.
    There is a difference though.
    My nephew uses judgment, balance and intelligence when he takes aim.

;)

I completely disagree. He is an angry old man, hell bent on spreading hate. His articles are schizophrenic at the best of times jumping from one point to the next and often can go off topic. He hunts controversy.

However I always thought he suited challenging times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

On again now. I'll give it another go... ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

looks even worse tonight . . .its like a bad version of the bad version ( mcwilliams) of the panel, crossed with the byrne ultamatium, which wasn't funny either . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Tries too much to be 'Have we got news for you' and fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Spot on, he goes against the grain of the typical left thinking Irish person therefore he must be a troll. The man is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheap, slow, crippled, quiet. Everyone knows its dying on its arse but won't admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Whats with the make up on rosenstock and myers? It looks like they took off the drag costumes to do the gig tonight but left the slap on.

gave it a second chance as well...i'm sorry i did now. off to watch the thick of it

The show just doesn't know what to do with itself. Badly directed, thrown together and hope for the best... Audience are annoying too laughing at the slightest thing.. No effort RTE, must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

:(

It's so so bad. Embarrassing. The Irish are funny, but we're not ready for a spontaneous funny show like mock the week or the like. We don't have the confidence. I wish we'd stop trying. It's making me angry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

It's Pathetic.

It would give 'Ireland's Got Talent' a run for its money in terms of worst ever home produced time filler.

The whole 5 of them are pains in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

So cringy, explaining their jokes to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

For a journalist the Tribune guy is doing well.

The show is very slow, and too quiet as was said earlier. If Dara O'Briain was presenting this it would be lot move lively and eeeeehhhhhhhh... it would be better.. The jokes are quite good, but need to be delivered better.

Barry Murphy should be on one of the teams.... NOT PRESENTING, waaaay too deadpan, kills the show before it's begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I suggest this show gets cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I think its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can RTE not come up with one original idea of its own

questions & answers is a rip off of bbc's question time
    republic of telly is a rip off of ITV's TV burp
    and now this sh*te is a rip off of Have i got news for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cliokat

Improvement on last weeks attempt but still cringing at a lot of the jokes

fryup wrote: »
    can RTE not come up with one original idea of its own

questions & answers is a rip off of bbc's question time
    republic of telly is a rip off of ITV's TV burp
    and now this sh*te is a rip off of Have i got news for you

Fair enough, they could do with a little originality, but if the talent isn't out there what do ya do...

Plus there's nothing wrong with copying foreign shows if they are a success.. We just tend to mess it up somewhere along the line. Questions n Answers was a good show, RTE do serious well. It's comedy is the Achilles Heel, in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The entire show seems like it was put together on the back of a fag packet down the pub. Just thrown together and the results filmed. The whole set looks cheap as chips as well adding to the low rent vibe.

Have I Got News For You is funny but then again they actually spend time and money on things like format, writers, editing, presentation, etc. This is more like a media project in college that has got onto the national airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Oops, you've done it again RTE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

This is more like a media project in college that has got onto the national airwaves.

I think that perfectly encapsulates this show RTE "Comedy".

Nate

The entire show seems like it was put together on the back of a fag packet down the pub. Just thrown together and the results filmed. The whole set looks cheap as chips as well adding to the low rent vibe.

Have I Got News For You is funny but then again they actually spend time and money on things like format, writers, editing, presentation, etc. This is more like a media project in college that has got onto the national airwaves.

I wonder will RTE get sued for ripping off other shows?
    After all, a show is copywrited/patented
    They'd get done for so many - this muck and Republic of Telly come to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I wonder will RTE get sued for ripping off other shows?
    After all, a show is copywrited/patented
    They'd get done for so many - this muck and Republic of Telly come to mind

Look up Copyright and Parody. RTE could claim with a very straight face that their efforts are purely Parody. No court would believe that these shows are anything other than a clever exercise in cynical black humour, on the state of British TV.

Nate

Advertisement