Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 4x12 - "The Getaway" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Very good.
    I just watched episode 7-12 in the space of a few hours. I hadn't been watching regularly, for some reason, I had lost interest. But after this, WOW, just WOW.
    That ending was amazing.

By far one of the best shows out there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Very good.
    1) Rita leaves for the airport in the morning (before Dexter leaves for work)

2) By the time Rita realises she's forgotten her ID and heads back to the house, she's had enough time to check out the moon and leave a voicemail for Dexter.

Am I the only one to see this huge plothole?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very good.
    KamiKazi wrote: »

2) By the time Rita realises she's forgotten her ID and heads back to the house, she's had enough time to check out the moon and leave a voicemail for Dexter.

She said "the moon will be amazing tonight" she is predicting the future, not looking at the moon. The writers are hardly that stupid.

She can leave a voicemail at any stage, not sure how that doesnt fit in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

KamiKazi wrote: »

No you're not, however you're wrong just like a load of other people who "noticed" it. She said "...the moon tonight is going to be amazing."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Very good.
    amacachi wrote: »
    No you're not, however you're wrong just like a load of other people who "noticed" it. She said "...the moon tonight is going to be amazing."

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ourlad

Very good.
    Thats the first ending to a season of any programme that left me speechless. What an ending. Easily the best season of Dexter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

When I was checking the actual quote from Rita I actually couldn't bring myself to watch the end. Not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Very good.
    What a fantastic episode of Dexter. I was nearly crying by the end but it was definitely the best ending of a series I've ever seen.

As for theories, I'd like it if it wasn't The Trinity Killer who murdered Rita but looking back and the scene where Dexter kills him, it's pretty clear that he knows more than he's saying.

It's actually quiet saddening to think of the start of next series with the kids coming back from Disneyland to their mother :/

9 months is gonna be a LONG wait..... :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

No matter what the next storyline is there is one fact that is certain. the next series will be 9 months after the last. It's always the case and next year will be no different. So with that in mind it's a good indication that whatever loose ends remain that most of them will be delat with off-air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

Finally after 4 seasons she's ****ing gone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Interesting.

Just discovered John Lithgow did the voice of Yoda for the raidio versions of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_%28radio%29

• Registered Users Posts: 43,797 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just caught up and finished the season over the weekend.. what an absolutely superb season and a real heartbreaking ending!

I'm just gonna use this thread to vent my thoughts on the season..

Surely the Thanksgiving dinner scene has to get an award for the single Best Scene of the year.. just absolutely nerve-wreaking stuff. That plus Arthur spotting Dexter through the window in Homicide and walking up to him, grabbing his namebadge and saying "Hello... Dexter Morgan". Those two scenes plus the final scene of the series just prove this was, I think, the best season of Dexter bar season 1.

Lithgow was an absolute tour-de-force in his role... he had the perfect amount of creepiness and played the role absolutely perfectly. In fact, I was a tad sad to see him meet his maker. Lithgow deserves at least a Golden Globe this year. In fact, Michael C Hall was remarkable this year also.

What can I say about the final scene - just absolutely depressing and so cleverly imagined (in terms of Harrison sitting in the blood). But the real question is who killed Rita? As others have said, it can't possibly be Arthur.. leaving Harrison in the pool of blood a la Dexter "being born in blood" couldn't be a coincidence.

Absolutely amazing season.. season 5 is too far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Very good.
    basquille wrote: »
    But the real question is who killed Rita? As others have said, it can't possibly be Arthur.. leaving Harrison in the pool of blood a la Dexter "being born in blood" couldn't be a coincidence.

I'm firmly in the camp that thinks it was Trinity and there's no mystery behind it. Lithgow, Hall and the showrunner, Clyde Phillips have all confirmed this in interviews and I don't think it's a red herring.

I see why people think it might be somebody else because of the pool of blood Harrison was in, but I think that was an "artistic" decision to really drive home that Dexter has brought upon his son a fate similar to his, by his actions and not something deliberately set up by Trinity or someone else. I think this compares to the final scene of season 3, with the blood on the wedding dress.

I could be totally wrong of course, but I want it to be Trinity because the impact on Dexter is far more severe then - Rita's death is his doing and his alone. Some sort of "who-killed-her" conspiracy plot simply takes away from that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Very good.
    I agree with J-Blk. Harrison was probably just left on the floor and the blood on the floor was just overflow from the bath. In the "previously" part at the beginning of the episode it shows the woman Trinity killed in the bathtub at the start of the season,and you can see the blood overflow onto the ground.

The writers and actors have confirmed it was Arthur and I am happy with that. It makes it even better considering he knew he had his revenge even though Dexter was about to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I thought it looked like a suicide because Dexter didn't go home for the big evening alone. I see I was wrong but what an ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Meh. Yes, meh...
    God I love this show.

I think they do seem to be emphasising the fact that Dexter is a killer more and more. Still though, cant help shouting for Dexter whenever he's in a fight or a tight situation.

Not gonna read anymore until the new season. I hates spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

jayteecork wrote: »
    I think it's the police Chief, the guy that wanted to fire LaGeurta and Angel. Seems their little romance side plot was actually to get him back into the series.

Something about him doesn't seem right, he also had one of those "tv faces" after Deb left him that implies he knows a lot more about Dexter than previously thought.

Personally speaking, I think it was he, along with Harry, that decided Miami is overrun with scum and normal police work cannot sort out the mess.
    So when they found Dexter they decided that they'd mould him into a serial killer that targets the city's vile muderers.
    So dex grows up and everything works great. However the police chief(what's his name again) has noticed that dexter's admirable work has gotten sloppy of late. The reason? Rita.

So he kills her. Maybe not him personally but one of his minions. He kills her in the manner of the Trinity so as to have Rita's murder open and shut.
    Now Dexter can return to be the efficent killer he once was.

But that's not all. He knows Dexter won't be around forever. So he leaves Harrison in exactly the same bloody situation as young Dex. It would have been impossible for Arthur Mitchell to know the circumstances of Dex's mother's death.
    The reason? So Harrison can fit snugly into Dex's shoes when the time is right.

The big hole in that is that Matthews is a massive career man. he puts his career above anything else and does anything to preserve it. He showed it when he replaced La Guerta because he saw her as a threat. You think that if he knew about the biggest serial killer in America he wouldn't hand him in? he could pick his job. Also, he barely talks to Dexter, how would he know about his kills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sweets10

Just a few thought on the season finale....

It shows Rita's engagement ring while she's in the bathtub...wasn' t the trinity killer looking for all valuable items before he left his own home? Why would he leave this?!

What is Dexters alliby for when Rita is murdered? He can hardly say he was in a boot of a mustang waiting to kill the trinity murderer!!There will be suspecisions especially after Rita was spotted kissing their next-door neighbour!

Could dexter continue the trinity murder cycle to complete it with someone who deserves it to keep th heat off himself? Know its a bit far fetched but just a thought!!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Very good.
    I only made a start on Dexter (all of it) there before xmas and just yesterday i finished up all the seasons! OMG with the finale for season 4...still taking it in...

the writers can do whatever they want really. as someone said earlier, each season usually wraps up so will be interesting... if this gets investigated too much by the cops, i think Quinn will def cop on to this.

its a hard one to call cause its so sad i dont want it to be true but if it is it sets up for a really angry Dexter next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

what a finale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

I think it's the police Chief, the guy that wanted to fire LaGeurta and Angel. Seems their little romance side plot was actually to get him back into the series.

Something about him doesn't seem right, he also had one of those "tv faces" after Deb left him that implies he knows a lot more about Dexter than previously thought.

Personally speaking, I think it was he, along with Harry, that decided Miami is overrun with scum and normal police work cannot sort out the mess.
    So when they found Dexter they decided that they'd mould him into a serial killer that targets the city's vile muderers.
    So dex grows up and everything works great. However the police chief(what's his name again) has noticed that dexter's admirable work has gotten sloppy of late. The reason? Rita.

So he kills her. Maybe not him personally but one of his minions. He kills her in the manner of the Trinity so as to have Rita's murder open and shut.

But that's not all. He knows Dexter won't be around forever. So he leaves Harrison in exactly the same bloody situation as young Dex. It would have been impossible for Arthur Mitchell to know the circumstances of Dex's mother's death.
    Completely groundless, without any evidence whatsoever and absolutely farfetched.

But I love it....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just got round to watching this now, holy crap. Rita really irritated me as a character and I was hoping to see her go, but damn, that was cold :(

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I have Just watched all 4 seasons over the last 6weeks, by far one of the best tv programmes I have ever seen-what was I missing all that time!

Season 4 finale just there-WOW I couldn't believe it, I liked Rita sometimes then hated her other times but what an ending! John Litglow was amazing in that season. season 4 was my favourite out of all of them.

roll on season 5 in September :D

ps: love jayteecork's synopsis of what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Seriously great acting from Lithgow in season 4... although it took me a few episodes to get past the third-rock-from-the-sun image I have of him.

Can't believe that ending though, the most "no... f*cking... way" twist ever.
    I've always liked Dexter as a series because it didn't resort to season cliff-hangers (something that I find annoying about 'Lost'), but I'm just gagging to see how this turns out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Isn't Xmas great, finally got around to watching Spartacus, Sopranos S.5, Californication S.1 and Dexter S.4.
    Lord F. was great, one nasty mother F, some interesting suspicions will be laid on Dex for Rita's murder, did not see that coming (and sweet jesus she was annoying...), I'm not convinced on how Dex managed to track the TK down so thought that was a bit weak (lying in a boot in a workshop!!!).
    Great TV and I'm very interested to see how Deb's new found knowledge develops in S.5.
    Overall a great season and with S.5 sitting there ready to be watched must avoid the temptation....better to leave S.4 stew for a while.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Bad, really, really bad.
    slave1 wrote: »
    Overall a great season and with S.5 sitting there ready to be watched must avoid the temptation....better to leave S.4 stew for a while.

If I was you, I'd let it stew until season 6 comes out and just skip season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,389 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

yekahs wrote: »
    If I was you, I'd let it stew until season 6 comes out and just skip season 5.

Or better rewatch Season 4 again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Elohim

That last episode was amazing. I figured that Lithgow was obviously gonna be killed but no way did I not predict that ending. Thought it might have been something stupid like she returned home to surprise him and was in the bedroom, but no! I'm kinda glad though, she had a very annoying voice and demeanor.

Roll on S5, not too optimistic though given some of the things I've read but I'll stick it out.

I only watched this for the 1st time last night. Ho
    ly
    shítballls! Seriously. THE most unexpected twist I've ever seen.

I've heard nothing but bad things about season 5 but I'll give it a go anyway when it comes out on FX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Interesting angle but I think its just going to be Trinity.

Advertisement