Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 4x12 - "The Getaway" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Meh. Yes, meh...
    SDTimeout wrote: »
    Matthews did say that brian was too badly affected by it, Yet dexter was " alright " for adoption.

alright for "grooming" you mean.
    See my earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I did see it and while i love the whole concept of the theory that would push me away from dexter i sadly have to admit. Because that's when it gets a bit too much.

Anyway, i thought the ep was a little slow until the end which was good.

However was it pure luck that rita forgot her things ? Or how are they going to explain all of this. Not to mention there's no real way trinity could have found the house if Dexter Morgan was listed as his old house.

How did Angel not notice dexter had met face to face with trinity before hand is beyond me.

It seems next season is gonna bridge. Which is good and it also seems we may see some aspects from the book creep in. With the losing of the dark passenger
    Although considering the book i doubt it's going to be some ancient cult that stops him. The Creamatic Bull Head

Great season, Great Show. Anticipating next year's already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very good.
    I was thinking it was a disappointing finale to a terrific season the whole way through it, was just getting ready to come on here and moan when Rita's phone rang.

Oh my god what a fcuking ending, im in shock.

Is it just a coincidence Arthur had the baby sitting in a pool of blood though, theres no way he could have known about Dexters mother and the bloodbath in the docks is there??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Very good.
    WOW! What an ending! I didn't see that coming at all - my jaw actually dropped...
    I'm sad the season is over, but very glad at how it ended, and I'm actually one of those few people who like Rita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Meh. Yes, meh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Well that was quick, it's taken down already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Very good.
    Lucky I just managed to view it. :)

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Yes indeed. I thought that would be above board, but obviously not. They basically confirmed that it was indeed Trinity who murdered Rita.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Very good.
    A great end to the season indeed - didn't see the end coming until Rita's phone started ringing in the house... All signs do seem to point to Trinity doing it before he skipped town, but I can't explain Harrison in the pool of blood. Seems like a fluke and maybe something the writers wanted to put in as a link to Dexter's own past, rather than something Trinity specifically did.

Though if it was Trinity, he really was a cold b**stard to the very end - not revealing anything to Dexter when he was on the table, so that Dexter could walk right into it.

Awesome season - right up there with season 1 (Better? Not sure yet...). When does season 5 begin again
    ? :)

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Reaction seems very divided on other forums. A lot of people don't like the fact that Rita has been killed. They view it as gratuitous excess.

As an audience, I think we had all become very comfortable with Dexter killing somebody's son or daughter every other week. It became 'normal' for us. But it's not normal. It never was. And it was never acceptable.

Dexter has hurt a lot of people, and ultimately he needs to be held accountable for all of this. Rita's death is his fault. He was also indirectly responsible for the death of Paul, her first husband, as well as responsible for Lyla's attempted murder of Astor and Cody. He also placed all of them in danger when he lured Zoe Kruger to his house -- because on that night he invited death into his family home. The real Kyle Butler also died because of Dexter's lies, as well as Farrow. Don't forget Doakes either: he was another good guy who died for Dexter's freedom, a freedom which has led to the deaths of many, many people, most recently Rita.

I think this was an inevitable part of the story. Dexter is a killer, and has been very arrogant and selfish up until now. There was nothing shocking about Rita's murder - it was just a sad consequence of Dexter's chickens coming home to roost. His great 'Can I Have it All?' experiment blew up in his face quite rightly. I like the character a lot, but I think this episode amounts to the writers slapping us across our faces with a wet fish, reminding us all of the show's moral ambiguity.

• Advertisement

Very good.
    Glad i got in there quick.

At least it confirms it was Trinity stopping some of the crazy theories im reading on various forums.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Im going watching this now, Ive had no internet since Saturday and im absolute****inglutely dyeing to see this....

EEEEEK!

Back later :)

My prediction is that Deb finds Dex performing the ritual of killing Trinity and next season will be Deb hunting Dex.... or maybe not :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My only criticism is the voiceover at the end, some plain music in the background through that scene would've been enough and probably made it more powerful, it's not like Hall can't act.

Don't know what to expect for Season 5 now.

Very good.
    Furet wrote: »
    Reaction seems very divided on other forums. A lot of people don't like the fact that Rita has been killed. They view it as gratuitous excess.

As an audience, I think we had all become very comfortable with Dexter killing somebody's son or daughter every other week. It became 'normal' for us. But it's not normal. It never was. And it was never acceptable.

Dexter has hurt a lot of people, and ultimately he needs to be held accountable for all of this. Rita's death is his fault. He was also indirectly responsible for the death of Paul, her first husband, as well as responsible for Lyla's attempted murder of Astor and Cody. He also placed all of them in danger when he lured Zoe Kruger to his house -- because on that night he invited death into his family home. The real Kyle Butler also died because of Dexter's lies, as well as Farrow. Don't forget Doakes either: he was another good guy who died for Dexter's freedom, a freedom which has led to the deaths of many, many people, most recently Rita.

I think this was an inevitable part of the story. Dexter is a killer, and has been very arrogant and selfish up until now. There was nothing shocking about Rita's murder - it was just a sad consequence of Dexter's chickens coming home to roost. His great 'Can I Have it All?' experiment blew up in his face quite rightly. I like the character a lot, but I think this episode amounts to the writers slapping us across our faces with a wet fish, reminding us all of the show's moral ambiguity.

It was very shocking to see her in the tub, i really thought the season was ending on a happy note (which i wasnt impressed with btw).

Him killing people that deserved to die didnt bother me in the slightest but innocent people have been on the receiving end in one way or another since he started getting sloppy and it was only a matter of time before something went drastically wrong for him, i just didnt think it would be that brutal.

Im interested to see how this will be explained, when the police investigate her death will they blame it on Trinity, why would he have targeted Dexter in particular.

Surely his family are going to be questioned to death and Kyle Butler is going to come up, Deb is suspicious of him being in Trinitys garage and getting to scene so quickly already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Very good.
    Wow. Just, wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FedEx

Very good.
    jayteecork wrote: »
    I think it's the police Chief, the guy that wanted to fire LaGeurta and Angel. Seems their little romance side plot was actually to get him back into the series.

Something about him doesn't seem right, he also had one of those "tv faces" after Deb left him that implies he knows a lot more about Dexter than previously thought.

Personally speaking, I think it was he, along with Harry, that decided Miami is overrun with scum and normal police work cannot sort out the mess.
    So when they found Dexter they decided that they'd mould him into a serial killer that targets the city's vile muderers.
    So dex grows up and everything works great. However the police chief(what's his name again) has noticed that dexter's admirable work has gotten sloppy of late. The reason? Rita.

So he kills her. Maybe not him personally but one of his minions. He kills her in the manner of the Trinity so as to have Rita's murder open and shut.
    Now Dexter can return to be the efficent killer he once was.

But that's not all. He knows Dexter won't be around forever. So he leaves Harrison in exactly the same bloody situation as young Dex. It would have been impossible for Arthur Mitchell to know the circumstances of Dex's mother's death.
    The reason? So Harrison can fit snugly into Dex's shoes when the time is right.

Interesting theory ... but i think you are way off ....

It was Trinity ... he did it when his house was being searched ...
    just before he picked up the Mustang..

Very good.
    But forgot to say ....

WOW !!!!! JESUS CHRIST THAT WAS A GREAT ENDING!!

sad to see Rita killed off ... i know i didn't really like her but still ...
    wonder what will happen next season now ?

Meh. Yes, meh...
    FedEx wrote: »
    Interesting theory ... but i think you are way off ....

It was Trinity ... he did it when his house was being searched ...
    just before he picked up the Mustang..

Nah. Obviously set up to look like it was Trinity's work.
    Trinity had no way of knowing where Dex and Rita live, plus she was in a taxi anyway. Even if he came across the house she was well gone.
    What did he do? Head out and look for her in the airport on a whim?

If it was Trinity it would have been a Seven ripoff and the writers are too good for that.

Also, he would have had no way of Dexter being found in his mother's blood so it seemed too much like an amazing coincedence, unless of course it was....

DEPUTY POLICE CHIEF MATTHEWS.
    32557.gif

You really trust that guy?

From the Dexter wiki
    "but most especially by the fact that, before his close friend Harry Morgan committed suicide, he made Tom promise to look after Dexter and Debra; which is what he has done to this day. "

He always knew about Dexter. No way he was Harry's best friend and didn't know about little Dex. He watched as Dexter went about his work around Miami. He reveled as Dexter made vanish those whom the law couldn't touch. But he saw how sloppy Dexter became. He knew there was only one solution. To stop Dexter juggling between Rita and the Dark Passenger.
    Rita had to go.
    http://dexter.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Matthews

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Meh. Yes, meh...
    dude, watch it again, Rita laves a voicemail for Dex saying she forgot her passport and was going to come back home and get a later flight. great ending for sure but the episode needed it to finish on a high.
    Nah. Obviously set up to look like it was Trinity's work.
    Trinity had no way of knowing where Dex and Rita live, plus she was in a taxi anyway. Even if he came across the house she was well gone.

If it was Trinity it would have been a Seven ripoff and the writers are too good for that.

Also, he would have had no way of Dexter being found in his mother's blood so it seemed too much like an amazing coincedence, unless of course it was....

DEPUTY POLICE CHIEF MATTHEWS.
    32557.gif

You really trust that guy?

Meh. Yes, meh...
    sweetie wrote: »
    dude, watch it again, Rita laves a voicemail for Dex saying she forgot her passport and was going to come back home and get a later flight. great ending for sure but the episode needed it to finish on a high.

lol, missed that.

But my theory is still the best right now.
    No way it's Trinity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gearstick

Very good.

you're missing the fact that Rita had to come back home after forgetting her ID.

I do have a theory on the Harrison in blood coincidence, seen as how Deb was looking into Dexters past and their dad's case when he was found in the container, is it not possible that she had that file at home in her apartment, where Trinity showed up looking for Dexter...... ;)

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Mark my words Matthews is up to something.

He was brought back for a reason that goes above Angel and LaGeurta's Bullshít wedding.

Very good.
    hmmm JT maybe you have something ... either way ... season 5 can't come quick enough .... 9 months ! :(

Meh. Yes, meh...
    One of the great things about this episode is that it benefits so much from a second viewing, particularly the scene where Trinity and Dexter converse in Dexter's kill room. Trinity's comments and expressions take on a whole new meaning when viewed retrospectively. Trinity denied Dexter his victory, even saying that his capture was down to God and not Dexter's own prowess. Dexter tried to rub it into Arthur, saying his daughter committed suicide because of him - yet Arthur refrained from revealing to Dexter that Rita was dead because of Dexter, too. Instead he contented himself with a sneering laugh when Dexter claimed he was good for his family, knowing of the horrific spectacle that awaited Dexter upon his return home.

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Furet wrote: »
    One of the great things about this episode is that it benefits so much from a second viewing, particularly the scene where Trinity and Dexter converse in Dexter's kill room. Trinity's comments and expressions take on a whole new meaning when viewed retrospectively. Trinity denied Dexter his victory, even saying that his capture was down to God and not Dexter's own prowess. Dexter tried to rub it into Arthur, saying his daughter committed suicide because of him - yet Arthur refrained from revealing to Dexter that Rita was dead because of Dexter, too. Instead he contented himself with a sneering laugh when Dexter claimed he was good for his family, knowing of the horrific spectacle that awaited Dexter upon his return home.

Man you're assuming it was completely 100% Trinity who killed Rita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Very good.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    I was thinking it was a disappointing finale to a terrific season the whole way through it, was just getting ready to come on here and moan when Rita's phone rang.

Oh my god what a fcuking ending, im in shock.

Is it just a coincidence Arthur had the baby sitting in a pool of blood though, theres no way he could have known about Dexters mother and the bloodbath in the docks is there??

i suppose it could be possible that he looked through debs stuff and put 2+2 together but it would be a long shot

Meh. Yes, meh...
    lol, missed that.

But my theory is still the best right now.
    No way it's Trinity.

Definitely Trinity! Confirmed by John Lithgow, Michael C Hall and Clyde Phillips.

Trinity could have found Dexter's address anywhere in Debra's apartment. Yes, Rita took a taxi home, and maybe, to her great misfortune, Trinity was there already, saw his chance, snatched the baby and said "I'll kill this child if you don't walk calmly out to that taxi and tell the driver to drive away before coming back in here to me."

In a nutshell, we didn't see Dexter dispose of Lyla either, but we know he did. Trinity succeeded in hurting Dexter off camera.

Besides, if Matthews is gunning that much for Dexter, why didn't he help him more in season two. I love your theory, and I think there's something to it -- but Trinity killed Rita. ;)

Very good.
    Man you're assuming it was completely 100% Trinity who killed Rita.

On the clip posted Michael C. Hall and John Lithgow were discussing the episode and said it was Trinity who killed her, theres no big mystery there, unless they are lying.
    weeder wrote: »
    i suppose it could be possible that he looked through debs stuff and put 2+2 together but it would be a long shot

Big long shot, he probably just left the baby sitting there and the bath overflowed, just a total coincidence that Dexter was also left in a pool of blood when he was younger, dont think Trinity did it on purpose as a symbol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Very good.
    gearstick wrote: »
    you're missing the fact that Rita had to come back home after forgetting her ID.

I do have a theory on the Harrison in blood coincidence, seen as how Deb was looking into Dexters past and their dad's case when he was found in the container, is it not possible that she had that file at home in her apartment, where Trinity showed up looking for Dexter...... ;)

im pretty sure its obvious that dex was probaly in the boot of the mustang while rita was being murdered

as for Harrison being in blood, just over flow from the tub id imagine, nothing too complicated there

that ending was amazing, i always slag off my dad for getting wrapped up in story lines, and really taking them to heart, but i was actually open mounthed and speaking out loud, "i cant belive it, thats shocking :eek:"

a sad ending, but the best ending, to the best series thus far

p.s, is there a better physco than John Lithgow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Meh. Yes, meh...
    :(

They had to end it on a sad note. That leaves a bitter taste to an excellent season.

Advertisement