Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US: 4x12 - "The Getaway" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Super ending to a mediocre episode imo. Delighted tyo see Rita dead too. She annoyed me this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Very good.
    wow double ow that was amazing.

Great finale to the season. Coming up the end it had the feeling it was going to end all self righteous like season 1, and I was kinda starting to tune out and think about what I was going to watch next... then that ending came right out of left field. When you hear Ritas phone ring my blood literally ran cold.

Like others, wasn't that fond of Rita, but she's a staple in the Dexter Universe. In all 3 seasons so far they've ended with people who had to die. Even Doakes, he had to go. But Rita... there was no need or warrant for her death.

Best season by far, tops season 1 for me. Season 1 was new but the killings still felt very safe, I never felt Dexter was in any real danger, whereas this one, with Dexter being constantly distracted, I always felt on edge.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Furet wrote: »
    Definitely Trinity! Confirmed by John Lithgow, Michael C Hall and Clyde Phillips.

Ah sure, what do they know?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Meh. Yes, meh...
    There's a lot of anger out there towards Dexter from fans on the forums. It says something about the show that it has stoked such debate at long last about the amorality of the main character.

Trinity has killed well over 100 people - including dozens of little boys. The FBI are after him, but they'll never catch him now because of Dexter. As far as every single one of those parents knows, the monster that killed their child is still out there. There can be no closure. Similarly, think of Sergeant Doakes's family, tormented, and think of how La Guerta must have felt knowing her friend was innocent. Imagine how the detectives working on the Trinity case must feel thinking they let Trinity slip through their hands and that he's still out there somewhere. Even Deb, his own sister. Trinity got off lightly - and justice was not done! Arthur's anonymous death was empty when you consider all that - which begs the wider question: Has Dexter ever delivered justice?
    The more I think about it, this was a truly triumphant episode for the writers. Dexter really is no better than any of his victims after all. He's a monster just like them -- it's just that we are privy to the inner dialogue of this particular monster.

Great television!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭goodolegill

Meh. Yes, meh...
    the episode was quite slow moving and although good, i was hoping for more scenes with dexter and trinity together to build up the phsyiclogical tension between the two. The ending rounded off a superb season and it was good that the a close member of dexter's inner circle has been taken off the show.

My big question's would involve - how no one within the homicide unit remembers Trinity walking around the homicide department especially Angel who only walked by Trinity talking to Dexter. And although we know they are the brightest in Miami P.D - they should be able to link Trinity with dexter through the death of Rita and dexter talking to Lithgow in the homicide department

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Very good.
    It is a major plothole for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Meh. Yes, meh...
    :eek:
    Is Rita really dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Trinity was only in the police station for a few minutes, and I think he had his back turned when LaGuerta passed him, so why would he recognize him?

And as for the ambiguity surrounding Rita's murderer .. Even with Lithgow, Hall, etc confirming that it was Trinity who killed Rita that doesn't mean that the writers can't change their mind for next season, seeing as they stated in the alternate ending interview that they didn't have the entire season planned out.. Wouldn't be the first time actors were left in the dark about their roles (see Harrison Ford/Ridley Scott on whether Deckard was a replicant in Blade Runner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Very good.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Surely his family are going to be questioned to death and Kyle Butler is going to come up, Deb is suspicious of him being in Trinitys garage and getting to scene so quickly already.

I don't think so. She was trying to figure out what, if anything, to say to Dexter about his mother and brother.

Bloody brilliant ending. All the Rita-haters should be happy anyway, and there's enough of them. Don't know if I am though, that was quite a bad way (not TV viewing bad, just bad bad) to end it, very different to any other season end. It'll be interesting to see how this changes Dexter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Very good.
    For everyone who's shouting about the police dept. not being the brightest, and taking it that Dex is smarter than everyone else, you have to remember that dexter stole case files. Stole the tapes Lundy had made. He was a step ahead because Lundy put him a step ahead.

The police dept. Still managed to get there by themselves.

I think showing dexter nearly getting caught at the scene is showing the audience that he can't stay a step ahead forever, and reminding everyone that they're all detectives, and can work this out for themselves.

Especially Debs. The whole first series was her trying to prove that she could be a detective. She's grown so much over the last few years, that when it looked like Dex was the brains, and she was the broken 'father issues' child, she's the one turning out to be ahead of her game.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Very good.
    I wonder will Dexter try to clean up the crime scene a bit to divert any attention away from the trinity connection?

Some finale though. Pretty damn epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I wonder will Kyle butler come up as Dexter said to Quinn he was doing something on the Kyle Butler case before he smacked him.
    Trinity's family mention it to Quinn........etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Very good.
    JP Liz wrote: »
    :eek:
    Is Rita really dead?

Most definitely. This isn't "Heroes". People stay dead on this show...

And even without having seen the clip Furet posted, I'm sure it was Trinity and can't see why there is so much doubt over it... Though I do think that you're on to something Jayteecork about Matthews being more significant next season, I don't think he really knows about Dexter or would go as far as killing to "push" him into a certain direction.

Harrison in the blood was most likely an "artistic" scene to express the fact that Dexter has brought death and violence into his family's life just like his childhood - similar to the blood on the wedding dress scene from the season 3 finale, which was an allusion to the fact that marital bliss was not on the cards and his dark passenger would still be around...

For next season though, I can see Debra being the true "rival" as she starts to find out more (Quinn might be used as misdirection once again). Though I do think Dexter might indeed change the crime scene up at his house to avoid directly being linked to Trinity - it'll still take some explaining about what happened though. And there are the obvious plot holes of Trinity's family/Kyle Butler out there, but as others mentioned, I think those will just be swept under the carpet...

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Dexter will probably change it to look like a suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Very good.
    I absolutely love jayteecork's theory. And while Lithgow and Hall essentially confirm that Trinity killed Rita, the writers can easliy do what they like next season, as mentioned. The actual episode did not confirm it was Trinity, so, it could be easily Matthews if the writers decide retrospectively, assuming they have not specifically planned it to be Matthews already.

Cracker of an ending. I was like "OMG, this is awesome!" as soon as Rita said on the message that she was delayed (immediately realising she was dead because of theories I'd previously read), and my girlfriend watched on in horror. She was totally distraught at the end, and I was practically cheering.

I reckon Dexter could have a tough time explaining what has happened if it was Trinity, unless Matthews rows in.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Meh. Yes, meh...
    I think Rita's killing will be blamed on Quinn and his connection with the daughter. i.e. Trinity was digging for information about who was getting close to him so Deb/Dexter families could have been legitimate targets. The main consequence of this is that being 'Kyle Butler' and interacting with Arthur's family will come back to haunt him now that there's a direct link.

With regards to Trinity being in Deb's apartment, I don't think he realised Deb was Dex's sister. He was just looking for D. Morgan, hence his angry exclamation of 'Deborah Morgan'. Same as when he tracked down the real Kyle Butler. Not of any real consequence though.

I did notice that the finale was filmed in slightly blurry Harry-vision. I hope this doesn't mean that it didn't actually happen or something like that. I think it was quite clear that Trinity was the killer and the Harrison/blood thing was there coincidentally and/or as a dramatic device.

Anyway, great season. The ending had a real emotional kick, and I wasn't a great fan of Rita either. There's some really interesting options on the table for next season now, looking forward to it already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Meh. Yes, meh...
    I liked Harry in this episode. Here's a theory:

One idea which seems popular is that dream (or ghost) Harry is actually the Dark Passenger. I thought this all along; but if you look at it again, the whole series I mean, dream Harry seems now to actually be the better angel of Dexter's nature. He knew Dexter could not have it all, and he was trying to prevent Dexter from causing tragedy and loss to innocents along the way.

In contrast, the Dexter we see all the time was the one, in this season, who behaved darkly by trying to have it all, regardless of the cost. This was clear, I thought, when he maniacally tells Harry "I have to be the one to kill him [Trinity]!!" whilst in prison, there displaying an astounding arrogance and narcisism: a god complex.
    Similarly, Harry appears ushering an imaginary Rita and the kids into a police car during the aftermath of the swoop on Trinity's house, forbodingly warning Dexter that this is his future, clearly having the interests of others at heart.
    Yet at the first opportunity Dexter latches on to Debra's tearful advocacy of his influence in her life (which was clearly made in ignorance of the truth) and uses this as a justification to pursue his vain quest to "have it all".

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I think Rita's killing will be blamed on Quinn and his connection with the daughter.

???

How would it be blamed on Quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Meh. Yes, meh...
    jayteecork wrote: »
    ???

How would it be blamed on Quinn?

Sorry, I mean that it will be seen that he was Trinity/Christine's link into the Miami PD, providing the link from Trinity to Rita. Similar to the Lundy murder I suppose. Cue scenes of Quinn being remorseful and/or hitting the booze/drugs or something to that effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Furet wrote: »
    In contrast, the Dexter we see all the time was the one, in this season, who behaved darkly by trying to have it all, regardless of the cost. This was clear, I thought, when he maniacally tells Harry "I have to be the one to kill him [Trinity]!!" whilst in prison, there displaying an astounding arrogance and narcisism: a god complex.

Or because he knew if the cops catched Trinity then he was ****ed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark_lord_ire

Very good.
    one day dexter will end :mad: guess i'll have to become a killer myself, keep some excitment going

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very good.
    One somewhat interesting theory i read was that Dexters "dark passenger" killed Rita in a kind of split personality scenario and made it look like Trinity so Dexter would be free to kill whenever he wanted. Dexter would have no recollection of this and would honestly believe it was Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Very good.
    Wow. Fabulous ending to a great series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Very good.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    One somewhat interesting theory i read was that Dexters "dark passenger" killed Rita in a kind of split personality scenario and made it look like Trinity so Dexter would be free to kill whenever he wanted. Dexter would have no recollection of this and would honestly believe it was Trinity.

That would suck,as would any other theory mentioned. It has been confirmed it was Trinity,end of story. Sure the writers could do a u-turn if they wanted but that would be stupid. it was a perfect ending,especially how Trinity said "its already over" before he died. He knew he had gotten his revenge on Dexter even though he knew he was about to die. The fact that it was a bathtub that Rita was killed in also proved it was Trinity,it was his MO. It wasn't part of his cycle but he did it that way so Dexter would know it was him. If he had just stabbed her to death in the sitting room it might have looked like anyone could have killed her.

Meh. Yes, meh...
    Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Wow. Fabulous ending to a great season

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very good.
    tvnutz wrote: »
    That would suck,as would any other theory mentioned. It has been confirmed it was Trinity,end of story. Sure the writers could do a u-turn if they wanted but that would be stupid. it was a perfect ending,especially how Trinity said "its already over" before he died. He knew he had gotten his revenge on Dexter even though he knew he was about to die. The fact that it was a bathtub that Rita was killed in also proved it was Trinity,it was his MO. It wasn't part of his cycle but he did it that way so Dexter would know it was him. If he had just stabbed her to death in the sitting room it might have looked like anyone could have killed her.

I KNOW.

Just found it somewhat interesting i said!!! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Very good.
    My big question's would involve - how no one within the homicide unit remembers Trinity walking around the homicide department especially Angel who only walked by Trinity talking to Dexter. And although we know they are the brightest in Miami P.D - they should be able to link Trinity with dexter through the death of Rita and dexter talking to Lithgow in the homicide department

It's not that big a deal. They must talk and see a lot of people every day. I'm the same in my job yet I could talk to someone for a few minutes and then not recognise them a few hours later when they approach me again. The only person who looked directly at trinity was dex as far as I remember and I imagine most of the people in the building were far too focused on finding trinity then noticing that weird old guy who just walked in. I don't see any plothole there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Very good.
    I don't think there's any need for any wild theories. It was clearly and 100% Trinity who killed Rita. How did he find the house? Well maybe he just looked for the next Dexter Morgan in the phone book.
    Dexter seasons don't run into each other so there won't be any scene cover up etc, it will be Dexter getting on with his life with Deborah not looking at him in the same way again, being wary and suspicious of him and that will probably be the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    Sorry, I mean that it will be seen that he was Trinity/Christine's link into the Miami PD, providing the link from Trinity to Rita. Similar to the Lundy murder I suppose. Cue scenes of Quinn being remorseful and/or hitting the booze/drugs or something to that effect.

Wonder if they'll end up thinking Trinity was told by his daughter that it was Debra Morgan who was really pushing/leading the investigation, and he looked up D. Morgan, went to the house and killed the woman there before fleeing the country? Or of course, being a bit on the psychotic side, just decided to off whoever he could related to the investigation.

I think Quinn is going to be very suspicious of Dexters involvement in Ritas death - he already suspects him of cheating, he's the blood spatter analyst and could easily have staged Ritas death to point the finger at Trinity.

One thing though, now that Trinity has killed someone so close to the department, they're really going to intensify the search for Trinity - to the point that everything will be scrutinised, and some of the strange facts about the case - Kyle Butler for one - are going to come to light.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

tvnutz wrote: »
    That would suck,as would any other theory mentioned. It has been confirmed it was Trinity,end of story. Sure the writers could do a u-turn if they wanted but that would be stupid. it was a perfect ending,especially how Trinity said "its already over" before he died.
    he also said that in the 1st bathtub scene, a hint to he did it
    He knew he had gotten his revenge on Dexter even though he knew he was about to die. The fact that it was a bathtub that Rita was killed in also proved it was Trinity,it was his MO. It wasn't part of his cycle yes it was, boy bathtub, jumper, bludgeon....he just never got to do the rest before disappearing into the blue yonder but he did it that way so Dexter would know it was him. If he had just stabbed her to death in the sitting room it might have looked like anyone could have killed her.

Personally, I feel yer man JT's return might be more to do with Deb getting a new sugar daddy. Someone she turns to with the weight of her new knowledge and getting advice on what will be a messed up dexter.

Advertisement