Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Saw this on the Elle website today:

Christian Louboutin has filed a law suit against YSL for producing a pair of red-soled shoes.

I've seen loads of brands, particularly on the high street, using red soles on their shoes ... I wonder why they're only beginning to take action now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

and what about those stick on red soles you can buy? Surely you can't copyright the bottom of a shoe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I think when a company as high profile as YSL produces a copy of Louboutins it's nearly worth their while to file a suit, purely for the publicity.

Speaking of red(ish) soles, I've been drooling over these babies:

73319_350_A.jpg
    They are Melissa, but just wondering has anyone else bought them. Are they regular sized, bit on the large/small size? I'm generally a 39 but every New Look shoe I've ever bought I'm a 38 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I believe the case is based on the premise that the red sole is recognised as the Louboutin signature so while not trademarked per se, it's a blatant attempt to take advantage of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

According to the article, the red soles have been trademarked (to Christian Louboutin) since 1998.

I always wondered how other companies managed to make shoes with red soles without Christian Louboutin doing much to stop them, since that's their brand's signature feature!

Maybe they were too busy trying to shut down scam websites, seeing as there were - and are - thousands of them!

It'll be interesting to see what happens ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Malari wrote: »

Speaking of red(ish) soles, I've been drooling over these babies:

73319_350_A.jpg
    They are Melissa, but just wondering has anyone else bought them. Are they regular sized, bit on the large/small size? I'm generally a 39 but every New Look shoe I've ever bought I'm a 38 :confused:

Oh they are GORGEOUS! I have two pairs of the Melissa/Vivienne Westwood heels and have found them true to size. They are mega comfortable. After wearing them for an hour or so your feet really "mould" into the plastic, if that makes sense?

If you're in Dublin, you could pop into Cinders on Wicklow St, they have a few Melissa styles in at the moment so you could try them on. Not sure if they have those exact ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

OldGoat wrote: »
    Yeah I know, it's very arbatury and there are no real defining age limits for classic, vintage and retro in clothing terms. I was just having a go cos of a reference in another thread to vintage as being in the 90's. I just felt really old and lashed out.
    With cars there is a clearly laid out age for vintage and classic:
    Antique: pre 1905
    Veteran: 1905-1918
    Vintage: 1919-1930
    Post Vintage: 1931 – 1945
    Classic 1946 – 1984 (or 30 years old)
    Sadly adverts use the term Vintage willy nilly as in Pennies sunglasses so that the word has lost all meaning.

Oh I agree with the point completly. I'm very sick of the "vintage" overkill myself. I was just derailing with some useless information about my grannies. :)

Twee. wrote: »
    Oh they are GORGEOUS! I have two pairs of the Melissa/Vivienne Westwood heels and have found them true to size. They are mega comfortable. After wearing them for an hour or so your feet really "mould" into the plastic, if that makes sense?

If you're in Dublin, you could pop into Cinders on Wicklow St, they have a few Melissa styles in at the moment so you could try them on. Not sure if they have those exact ones though.

Oh thanks so much, I'm kinda fussy when it comes to shoes, but I have fixated on these! I'm in Cork so nowhere has them, will have to chance it on the webs. :) I'm a bit new to this buying fashion online business (and this fabulous forum) but I am REALLY getting into it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Does anyone know of any hairdressers that wouldn't charge a ridiculous amount for GHD curls. I was looking at some places on the way to college €55.....WTF???? Extortionate? Does anyone know anywhere more wallet friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I love those Vivienne westwood/ Melissa Anglomania shoes and I really really want some but after an absolutely horrific allergic reaction to Crocs sandals a couple of years ago, I worry that I might be allergic to those too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Piggybacked on the men and grey hair thread.
    (Rightly) women have been saying 'yes' to grey hair on men in another thread. The responses are overwhelingly in favour of a man staying natural and letting his hair turn grey. Once upon a time I dared to suggest the same thing to a (prematurally) greying woman and I was lambasted by indignant rage* about how women NEED to have their hair dyed.
    I just find it curious that men are required to go grey and women are oblidged to colour. Personally I love seeing grey hair on women. I find it very striking and the dismissel of conformity is an appealin character trait to me.

*Exagerated for dramatic effect :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I knew a lady who let her hair go grey and kept it long, it looked amazing because she had one black streak left all the way through it. Looked very elegant. :)

Kristen McMenamy

kristen-mcmenamy-grey-hair1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Harrumph. I can't find my favourite lipstick anywhere. I assume it's been discontinued. :( Anyone seen a secret stash of Maybelline Watershine lipstick anywhere?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

To buy or not to buy?
    http://www.awear.com/tunics/kimono-style-tunic/invt/10202332/
    Can't make up my mind on it.... advice please!
    Finished my exams today and want to purchase something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

cee_jay wrote: »
    To buy or not to buy?
    http://www.awear.com/tunics/kimono-style-tunic/invt/10202332/
    Can't make up my mind on it.... advice please!
    Finished my exams today and want to purchase something!

It looks very nice in the photos, and exceedingly reasonably priced :)

It looks very nice in the photos, and exceedingly reasonably priced :)

Thanks thats all I needed! Ordered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I say go for it, saw a picture of a model wearing it and it looks better than it does there plus awear have free delivery today! Very short though.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTM_XCmD6sTO6vHoNGaNJYzapZASBCpgIyl9uAVeEIY02WcTTB&t=1
    -PAXP-deijE.gif

Oh I will be wearing it with as a top - most of their dresses barely cover my bum cause I am tall, so they are all worn as long tops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Piggybacked on the men and grey hair thread.
    (Rightly) women have been saying 'yes' to grey hair on men in another thread. The responses are overwhelingly in favour of a man staying natural and letting his hair turn grey. Once upon a time I dared to suggest the same thing to a (prematurally) greying woman and I was lambasted by indignant rage* about how women NEED to have their hair dyed.
    I just find it curious that men are required to go grey and women are oblidged to colour. Personally I love seeing grey hair on women. I find it very striking and the dismissel of conformity is an appealin character trait to me.

*Exagerated for dramatic effect :D

My dear mother let her hair go grey...I will probably do the same.

• Advertisement

As a grey haired 20 year old I have to admit I'd never show my natural colour :( I think it ages you!

Maybe when I hit my 50s I'd do it, and tell myself I look like Helen Mirren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

20? :eek: You poor thing :( I know the feeling though, I just turned 21 and I discovered my first varicose vein yesterday :( what the hell is that about

Scattering of highlights would look very cool on hair thats going a little grey early, I think. :)

Swear I'm not obsessed with grey hair! But Daphne Guinness totally rocks black and white hair.

Daphne-Guinness.jpg

soar_guinness_01_v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

20? :eek: You poor thing :( I know the feeling though, I just turned 21 and I discovered my first varicose vein yesterday :( what the hell is that about

Scattering of highlights would look very cool on hair thats going a little grey early, I think. :)

I turned 19 two weeks age and I realised......I'll be 20 on my next birthday. I know it's not old, but it seems ancient.... :o

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I turned 19 two weeks age and I realised......I'll be 20 on my next birthday. I know it's not old, but it seems ancient.... :o

Ahhhh bless. :)

EDIT: ...and happy birthday.

It's all downhill from here! :eek:

It runs in the family apparently, at least I didn't get my Dad's baldness!

Bald patches are natures heatsinks. They exist to allow mens hyperactive supersized brains cool down to a normal body temprature. :cool:

And if anyone tells me different I'll bribe Twee into banning you. I might not mod here anymore but I have infulence!
    :o

Bald patches are natures heatsinks. They exist to allow mens hyperactive supersized brains cool down to a normal body temprature. :cool:

And if anyone tells me different I'll bribe Twee into banning you. I might not mod here anymore but I have infulence!
    :o

There's one I haven't heard before. My dad favours "god's way of seeing more of you" or "too tall for my hair". ;)

As for grey hair on women, I really think it's rare that women look good without colouring. The examples of striking looking grey-haired women above are unusual and they tend to look more white-blonde than grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

SarahBeep! Happy birthday. Hope you have a great day.:)

I'd appreciate any opinions on this bag please, on eBay for £13 + postage.

Is patent still in fashion? As I don't often see people with patent bags (well where I live anyway).

$(KGrHqN,!jcE2HIWLGlHBNmebkOHC!~~0_3.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

I don't like it purple_bobbin, it might just be the photo but there's a bang of Penneys off it tbh - shiny plastic rather than patent. is it supposed to be leather?

Advertisement