Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Thanks Phasers, Twee mentioned a feedback thread so if anyone has any other ideas I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Twee. wrote: »
    (Which is why I think we should have beers :pac:)
    +1 :cool:
    Sibylla wrote: »
    I think the f&a forum is brilliant, Personally I think it would be great to have more discussion topics related to fashion, Speaking of style.com and the fashion spot there is a whole array of ideas. I think there could be more stickies or the possibility of a sub forum, Some of the threads I enjoy reading are the following :)

Designers and collections: Review or comment on runway collections.

History of style: Looking back on trends. fashions of a different era with pictures, discussions and ways to emulate these looks today.

Trend Spotting: Discussion/Spotting of trends. I have noticed a lot of threads for e.g. Zips on dresses where people discuss trends they like/dislike.

Behind the lens: Magazines, Ad campaigns, Stylists, Photographers.

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes: A thread about shoes, trends, Ones you would love, Finding a high street copy of a designer shoe.

Shop till you drop: Basically from vintage steals to online to deals to little shops that have wonderful pieces, Post all your shopping tips in here.

Skin, Body and hair care: Review of products, places and general discussion.

Star style, Discuss celebrity looks, Ask on how to recreate a look or have a dedicated thread to a particular style icon.

Menswear: There is no shortage of men asking for places to shop etc on f&a perhaps a thread with tips, ideas and styles would be good.

F&A is generally about asking for advice as opposed to discussion and I think there are enough people interested in fashion for some discussion, Any thoughts?
    Twee I think a feedback thread is a great idea, This forum is great and runs very well so any additions to it would only help! :)

I like the idea of more discussion based threads. Rather then create a half dozen new stickies I'd suggest a single new one - something like "Topic of the Month" and introduce each of the topics you have suggested into that. It will keep it fresh as over a period of time the more popular topics will be re-visited.

Menswear: Hummmmm. I am loath to see menswear seperated in any way from the main forum, be that a sticky or a sub forum. There is nothing is the list of suggestions that is not open to men so why do we have to be consigned to an outhouse? Putting a list of outlets for menswear stifels any posibality of dialog and dates increadably quickly.
    Growing numbers of men are coming out of the satorial closet (thankfully), lets not lock them up again.:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

This dress

image4xl.jpg

With these shoes

hx6l1j.jpg

Yes/no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yes, definately!!!

Where are the shoes from?? They are FAB!!!

Yes, definately!!!

Where are the shoes from?? They are FAB!!!

I saw them first on Lulus.com but ordered them from Amazon for cheaper shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DI0JCY

The outfit is for a wedding. Too much? This wedding is driving me mental!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Gorgeous outfit! Dress is quite short though but I guess we are coming into Summer :)

They are gorgeous shoes!!

Have you something for over the dress?

Haven't got anything for over the dress yet. Any suggestions?

Edit:

Also got this dress but not sure about it. I'd prefer if my shoulders/arms were covered.

image1xl.jpg

Oh, that's gorgeous too!! I know what you mean about preferring to be a bit more covered up to, I'd be the same!!

But it depends on the wedding? You'd deffo get away with the turquoise dress at certain weddings.

Do you have any sort of blazer/jacket or wrap to go over either dress?

Have you planned to wear anything on your head?

No I haven't looked into any kinda accessories.

I think I'll go with the turquoise dress. (I'm going to get the other dress, just not wear it to the wedding)

I suppose if I got a black shaul to go over that it would cover up the shoulders.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    +1 :cool:

I like the idea of more discussion based threads. Rather then create a half dozen new stickies I'd suggest a single new one - something like "Topic of the Month" and introduce each of the topics you have suggested into that. It will keep it fresh as over a period of time the more popular topics will be re-visited.

Menswear: Hummmmm. I am loath to see menswear seperated in any way from the main forum, be that a sticky or a sub forum. There is nothing is the list of suggestions that is not open to men so why do we have to be consigned to an outhouse? Putting a list of outlets for menswear stifels any posibality of dialog and dates increadably quickly.
    Growing numbers of men are coming out of the satorial closet (thankfully), lets not lock them up again.:)
    I agree about menswear, It doesn't seem to feature enough on f&a, Separating it wouldn't be good Incorporating it into the threads might be more inviting for the guys on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

To be honest, while I like some of Sibylla's ideas, I would prefer the format of the forum to stay the same.

Sub forums would be fine but I wouldn't like the forum to end up with all questions or topics of a similar nature condensed into stickies.

I like to come on and have a look at all the thread titles and pick and choose what I read rather than reading through a whole discussion thread.

I like that some topics can go on for a few pages and I think debates can end prematurely in discussion based stickies.

Just my opinion of course but thought I would add it none the less.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

That's a good point Tayla, condensing it all too much can sifle the discussion. Maybe what OG suggested with the Topic of the Month would work best because it wouldn't overwhelm the board?

phasers wrote: »
    Maybe what OG suggested with the Topic of the Month would work best because it wouldn't overwhelm the board?
    Maybe what Twee suggested with 'Beers' would work best because it WOULD overwhelm the Boardsies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I like the topic of the month suggestion. Or even a topic of the fortnight!
    A month is a long time, and a thread could easily go dead in that time.

How would the topic be decided though?

I'd also suggest having a few general threads. I saw that someone posted a general "What do I wear with this?" thread, but it got buried by people posting threads asking "What do I wear with this specific thing"
    I thought that thread was an excellent idea, deserved a sticky. :)

I meant to say actually, has anybody noticed that our "off topic" thread is always completely stuff that's f&a related? We're obsessed!

I agree with Tayla the f&a format is brilliant, The only thing it lacks is more discussion. My ideas were merely suggestions on discussions, I think Old goat's idea was very good, It's an excellent way of seeing how popular discussion could be without cluttering the forum with stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Anyone know what colour MAC Greensmoke is?

Is it Green or Gray-ish?

Thanks!

Smokey Green. :pac:

No, seriously, its a dark, smokey type green. with a sheen to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Larianne wrote: »
    Smokey Green. :pac:

No, seriously, its a dark, smokey type green. with a sheen to it.
    :pac:

Thanks so much for your help, I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Sibylla wrote: »
    I think the f&a forum is brilliant, Personally I think it would be great to have more discussion topics related to fashion, Speaking of style.com and the fashion spot there is a whole array of ideas. I think there could be more stickies or the possibility of a sub forum, Some of the threads I enjoy reading are the following :)

Designers and collections: Review or comment on runway collections.

History of style: Looking back on trends. fashions of a different era with pictures, discussions and ways to emulate these looks today.

Trend Spotting: Discussion/Spotting of trends. I have noticed a lot of threads for e.g. Zips on dresses where people discuss trends they like/dislike.

Behind the lens: Magazines, Ad campaigns, Stylists, Photographers.

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes: A thread about shoes, trends, Ones you would love, Finding a high street copy of a designer shoe.

Shop till you drop: Basically from vintage steals to online to deals to little shops that have wonderful pieces, Post all your shopping tips in here.

Skin, Body and hair care: Review of products, places and general discussion.

Star style, Discuss celebrity looks, Ask on how to recreate a look or have a dedicated thread to a particular style icon.

Menswear: There is no shortage of men asking for places to shop etc on f&a perhaps a thread with tips, ideas and styles would be good.

F&A is generally about asking for advice as opposed to discussion and I think there are enough people interested in fashion for some discussion, Any thoughts?
    Twee I think a feedback thread is a great idea, This forum is great and runs very well so any additions to it would only help! :)

These are all great ideas. :) However, anyone can start a thread so why not start one of them yourself? That might be a good place to start.

• Advertisement

The only thing I'd say about changing the forum is please don't make one thread for all fashion queries. In the Ladies Lounge, I found the thread on Ladygardening for Dummies gets so much traffic with people asking questions that quite a few go unanswered or only get one opinion. And I love giving my sad little opinion to all the fashion conscious posters looking for help :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The only thing I'd say about changing the forum is please don't make one thread for all fashion queries. In the Ladies Lounge, I found the thread on Ladygardening for Dummies gets so much traffic with people asking questions that quite a few go unanswered or only get one opinion. And I love giving my sad little opinion to all the fashion conscious posters looking for help :)

I'd agree with this, single threads for outfit questions. They usually get second paged after one or two days anyway so they don't tend to clog the front page.

@Tomissex, Love your look at the Trinity ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Thank you! I got a little trampled so the shoes need a bit of wash now :p

OldGoats Rule of Fashion Ages.
    If you wore it in your youth it's "Retro".
    If your parents wore in their youth it's "Classic"
    If your grandparents or older wore it in their youth it's "Vintage"

For the love of sanity and respect to my age please don't let the 80's and 90's be 'Vintage'

But I like calling my mammies cons vintage :(

But I like calling my mammies cons vintage :(
    Converse? First manufactured in 1917. Thats vintage. :)

I always laugh when I see sumglasses from Penneys on eBay as "vintage" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

OldGoat wrote: »
    OldGoats Rule of Fashion Ages.
    If you wore it in your youth it's "Retro".
    If your parents wore in their youth it's "Classic"
    If your grandparents or older wore it in their youth it's "Vintage"

For the love of sanity and respect to my age please don't let the 80's and 90's be 'Vintage'

I would have always put what my grandparents wore as "Classic". Both my grannies had a very Chanel style though, which I always think is classic.

• Advertisement

I would have always put what my grandparents wore as "Classic". Both my grannies had a very Chanel style though, which I always think is classic.

Yeah I know, it's very arbatury and there are no real defining age limits for classic, vintage and retro in clothing terms. I was just having a go cos of a reference in another thread to vintage as being in the 90's. I just felt really old and lashed out.
    With cars there is a clearly laid out age for vintage and classic:
    Antique: pre 1905
    Veteran: 1905-1918
    Vintage: 1919-1930
    Post Vintage: 1931 – 1945
    Classic 1946 – 1984 (or 30 years old)
    Sadly adverts use the term Vintage willy nilly as in Pennies sunglasses so that the word has lost all meaning.

Advertisement