Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

To be honest I got it second hand, so I'm not sure when it was in store. :/ I'd guess its not recent though by the colour, most things are pastels atm, creams and beiges etc. No good for us tan-dodgers :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Does anyone know where I could find some nice 50s style swimsuits?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Dunnes and La Senza have the halter style in right now, not sure of the quality though tbh...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Fabulous ones at Modcloth but they are really expensive. Penney's have "tummy control" swimsuits in, and I thought that the ruching over the tummy area and polka dot pattern gave it a retro look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

There was an ad on tv for deodorant that makes your underarms acceptable to society.

I didn't realise I had to be self-conscious about how soft my armpits are. :/

Does anyone else get annoyed by the amount of things that women are meant to find ugly about their bodies? And then buy products to correct said ugliness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

reallyrose wrote: »
    There was an ad on tv for deodorant that makes your underarms acceptable to society.

I didn't realise I had to be self-conscious about how soft my armpits are. :/

Does anyone else get annoyed by the amount of things that women are meant to find ugly about their bodies? And then buy products to correct said ugliness?

Yes! Madness. Don't let 'the man' get ya :)

I wasn't aware it was possible to have sexy armpits :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Tbh I sometimes don't shave my armpits, I hate this idea that one has to be clean shaven and inoffensive to fit into this norm of 'ideal' beauty. I don't mind unshaven armpits. I shave every time i shower in the summer though, its more comfortable.

I can't believe an advert like that was allowed on tv!

Personally I like to be smooth as possible but seeing as I'm so fricken pale I always have a blue shadowy thing goin on, makes it look like 5 o'clock shadow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

$(KGrHqQOKi4E2HfOpyU6BNmEisQns!~~0_3.JPG

If it's a summer dress, why wear tights with it? Irony, no?

• Advertisement

Vest Tie Waist Dress

954-030-G36s.jpg

Want that dress, it's so pretty and colorful, perfect for summer:D

€24 isn't too bad.

Wonder what the sizing is like? Am an 8-10 and usually have to get a 10.

I keep asking stupid questions in here. D:

I hurt my ribs at the weekend, literally can't reach my head to wash it without discomfort.
    Anything I can do to make my head look less gross and greasy? It's short, so I can't tie it up.

reallyrose wrote: »
    I keep asking stupid questions in here. D:

I hurt my ribs at the weekend, literally can't reach my head to wash it without discomfort.
    Anything I can do to make my head look less gross and greasy? It's short, so I can't tie it up.
    Probably a stupid question, but can you bend over at all? If you can, could you maybe get a friend/family member to wash/dry your hair for you? Or can you go to a hairdressers?

You could get dry shampoo and maybe get a friend/family member to put it in for you. Or wear a hat?

Bending over is the worst thing! I can stand, if I stand like Mr Burns (all hunched!) and I can sit.

Dry shampoo is an idea, I'll see if the chemist has any!

Probably in another day or so I'll be healed up enough to want to let anyone near me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Hi, just looking for some advice on illamasqua foundation. Would be great to hear from people who have used it
    Is there any where around Cork where I can buy it and check out the shades before hand? I have pale skin and find it hard to get foundation pale enough. I'm thinking 115 as the shades below that seem too white and pale even for me if I do need to order online.
    Also, what brush should I use to apply it? I usually use my fingers to apply foundation:o:o
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm quite pale and I use 135. I love it. It gives great coverage but it's quite natural. I got mine in BT2 in Dublin and then online but I don't think they're in BT2 any more and if they're in Cork I've yet to find out where. I used to use a Smashbox foundation brush to apply it but I've found that my fingers do as good a job.

I'm quite pale and I use 135. I love it. It gives great coverage but it's quite natural. I got mine in BT2 in Dublin and then online but I don't think they're in BT2 any more and if they're in Cork I've yet to find out where. I used to use a Smashbox foundation brush to apply it but I've found that my fingers do as good a job.

Thanks:) That's a pity they don't seem to stock it anywhere in Ireland anymore. Where would be the cheapest to order online? I'm thinking debenhams.ie if I can find a discount code. Is it the rich liquid foundation you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, it is a pity. It's impossible to figure out what shade to use without trying it first. I've bought from the Illamasqua website but if Debenhams is cheaper go for it. ASOS sell it too but I don't think they ship outside the UK. I used the Rich Liquid Foundation. I think I remember a girl on here recommending it over the light foundation.

Thanks, think I will go with Debenhams. Its €24.50 with free delivery. If I can get a discount it will be even better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

I've spent almost two hours straight reading style.com and the fashion spot. It's seriously addictive, It would be great if this forum could take some suggestions from these not sure there would be enough interest.

• Advertisement

Sibylla wrote: »
    I've spent almost two hours straight reading style.com and the fashion spot. It's seriously addictive, It would be great if this forum could take some suggestions from these not sure there would be enough interest.

Can I ask you what you mean here, feedback is always excellent and can only make the forum better :) Maybe it's time for a feedback thread, the forum really has changed from Q&As to a more community vibe over the last while.

(Which is why I think we should have beers :pac:)

Oh my god, in 7 weeks and 30 days I shall be off to New York on my J1. Can't believe it, time is flying! I'm not worrying about accommodation or jobs, pfft no! It's all about what clothes I'm going to bring :eek: I've never spent such a long time in a place where it will be hot every day! Whole new wardrobe options.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Twee. wrote: »
    Oh my god, in 7 weeks and 30 days I shall be off to New York on my J1. Can't believe it, time is flying! I'm not worrying about accommodation or jobs, pfft no! It's all about what clothes I'm going to bring :eek: I've never spent such a long time in a place where it will be hot every day! Whole new wardrobe options.

Whole new wardrobe PURCHASE options. Pack, then take half of it out. At least!

lainey316 wrote: »
    Whole new wardrobe PURCHASE options. Pack, then take half of it out. At least!

I will have to perfect the capsule wardrobe!

I will have to perfect the capsule wardrobe!

I bet Off the Rails could totally help you with that!

*flees*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

boomkatalog (hope I spelled that right!) I have that black tutu skirt you have in the What you wore thread, fab isn't it!

Spadina wrote: »
    boomkatalog (hope I spelled that right!) I have that black tutu skirt you have in the What you wore thread, fab isn't it!

I adore it! Thinking it's a little OTT for everyday wear *sob* but it really is amazing, any top would go with it.

Anyone know what colour MAC Greensmoke is?

Is it Green or Gray-ish?

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

Can I ask you what you mean here, feedback is always excellent and can only make the forum better :) Maybe it's time for a feedback thread, the forum really has changed from Q&As to a more community vibe over the last while.

(Which is why I think we should have beers :pac:)

I think the f&a forum is brilliant, Personally I think it would be great to have more discussion topics related to fashion, Speaking of style.com and the fashion spot there is a whole array of ideas. I think there could be more stickies or the possibility of a sub forum, Some of the threads I enjoy reading are the following :)

Designers and collections: Review or comment on runway collections.

History of style: Looking back on trends. fashions of a different era with pictures, discussions and ways to emulate these looks today.

Trend Spotting: Discussion/Spotting of trends. I have noticed a lot of threads for e.g. Zips on dresses where people discuss trends they like/dislike.

Behind the lens: Magazines, Ad campaigns, Stylists, Photographers.

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes: A thread about shoes, trends, Ones you would love, Finding a high street copy of a designer shoe.

Shop till you drop: Basically from vintage steals to online to deals to little shops that have wonderful pieces, Post all your shopping tips in here.

Skin, Body and hair care: Review of products, places and general discussion.

Star style, Discuss celebrity looks, Ask on how to recreate a look or have a dedicated thread to a particular style icon.

Menswear: There is no shortage of men asking for places to shop etc on f&a perhaps a thread with tips, ideas and styles would be good.

F&A is generally about asking for advice as opposed to discussion and I think there are enough people interested in fashion for some discussion, Any thoughts?
    Twee I think a feedback thread is a great idea, This forum is great and runs very well so any additions to it would only help! :)

Sibylla wrote: »
    I think the f&a forum is brilliant, Personally I think it would be great to have more discussion topics related to fashion, Speaking of style.com and the fashion spot there is a whole array of ideas. I think there could be more stickies or the possibility of a sub forum, Some of the threads I enjoy reading are the following :)

Designers and collections: Review or comment on runway collections.

History of style: Looking back on trends. fashions of a different era with pictures, discussions and ways to emulate these looks today.

Trend Spotting: Discussion/Spotting of trends. I have noticed a lot of threads for e.g. Zips on dresses where people discuss trends they like/dislike.

Behind the lens: Magazines, Ad campaigns, Stylists, Photographers.

Shoes, Shoes, Shoes: A thread about shoes, trends, Ones you would love, Finding a high street copy of a designer shoe.

Shop till you drop: Basically from vintage steals to online to deals to little shops that have wonderful pieces, Post all your shopping tips in here.

Skin, Body and hair care: Review of products, places and general discussion.

Star style, Discuss celebrity looks, Ask on how to recreate a look or have a dedicated thread to a particular style icon.

F&A is generally about asking for advice as opposed to discussion and I think there are enough people interested in fashion for some discussion, Any thoughts?
    Twee I think a feedback thread is a great idea, This forum is great and runs very well so any additions to it would only help! :)
    +1 to Sibylla's idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I love those ideas Sibylla!

Advertisement