Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Its 1h20 min with the CityLink express bus right now. Can see 10 mins been shaved off this when the new M18 opens. (Need NEW bus lanes at Galway/Limerick City - but they will at least benefit the City Bus services as well)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Isambard wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to call the WRC the Ghostline anymore as , as far as I can see, it's loadings now are comparable to many other lines. That this has been brought about by slashing fares to an uneconomic level is another matter.

Sorry, I was specifically referring to the closed section north of Athenry!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Del.Monte wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/rail-report-routes-around-country-at-risk-of-closure-1.2840423

I don't even bother with newspapers anymore and even I knew of this latest nonsense.

I meant the ones earmarked for closure in the 90s. Killarney-Tralee wasn't one of the 4 recommended in the 2016 report.
    Quackster wrote: »
    Don't remember any other specific stretches. The track and signalling across much/most of the network was so antiquated in the mid 90s that it was on the verge of being condemned and when the investment finally came to roll out continuous welded rail and mini CTC, it was only to extend as far as Killarney. Political lobbying eventually had Killarney-Tralee added to the original contract.

Thanks for that.
    JCX BXC wrote: »
    It may well be, but if that's so then that's currently so, nothings really changing, although North of gort can be a nightmare, chances are I'll still be taking the exit either at gort or maybe I'll get to Kilternan now! The difference in time.will be nothing or close to nothing with the new motorway, and coming off the M6 into Galway will.be a massive nightmare now.

No effect on the train in my opinion, as nothing really changes.

It'll be faster most of the time to take the Kiltiernan exit on the M18 and Annagh Hill on the M17 than going via the M6. The 50,000 vehicles a day capacity central section will be very useful for the 4,000 people a day making that journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

JCX BXC wrote:
    My point is there's going to be no/negligible change in the time it takes to get into Galway with this new motorway. Hence I cannot see an effect on the train service.
    Prime example race week.. all approaches in and out are black with cars to Galway, only way in is by train, helicopter or boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

hytrogen wrote: »
    Prime example race week.. all approaches in and out are black with cars to Galway, only way in is by train, helicopter or boat!
    or bus with good quality bus lane ..... and you don't build railways to cope with one race meeting a year for four days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

westtip wrote: »
    or bus with good quality bus lane ..... and you don't build railways to cope with one race meeting a year for four days.

But you do build a tunnel under the race course if you are building an Outer Ring Road - would not want to ruin the racing, would you? I wonder how much extra that will cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

But you do build a tunnel under the race course if you are building an Outer Ring Road - would not want to ruin the racing, would you? I wonder how much extra that will cost?

It may be cheaper to build the tunnel than to compensate the track owners if the road makes the business unviable...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you do if you want to grow your city and the area around it. there are higher priorities then growing galway for the moment though.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

For the day that's in it! We have all seen it before, but congratulations Leo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kR1YDn9lM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

For the day that's in it! We have all seen it before, but congratulations Leo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kR1YDn9lM
    If that's not the end of the wrc nonsense, I don't know what is.
    Surely now nobody still believes this nonsense about spending hundreds of millions of scarce funds on a railway that nobody will use? Sure, there will still be the handful of diehards and the people who believe them, but the majority of people must know by now that it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter what Varadkar said as a minister. He is meeting independent tds today to suss out support as Taoiseach. Wonder what Sean Canney will be asking for??

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Unfortunately it really matter what Varadkar said as a minister. He is meeting independent tds today to suss out support as Taoiseach. Wonder what Sean Canney will be asking for??
    Asking for something and getting it are two different things.
    Remember the report on the wrc that he was promised to have in his hands six months ago? He didn't walk when that wasn't delivered, and he won't walk now.
    Canney isn't stupid; he knows well that the wrc is a myth, but it's a great old vague election promise. 'Send me up to Dublin and I'll get you a train, and I'll make sure none of them Dublin four types on bikes come anywhere near Tuam'.
    Winning stuff, in certain quarters.

"Iarnród Éireann has forecast that further financial losses this year will leave the company just €2 million ahead of insolvency.
    The State-owned rail operator has predicted that it will lose about €6 million this year, bringing its accumulated deficit to €159.2 million"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/iarnr%C3%B3d-%C3%A9ireann-nearly-insolvent-due-to-losses-1.3108548

Now if they closed a few of the worst loss-makers, the picture would be a lot better.

eastwest wrote: »
    "Iarnród Éireann has forecast that further financial losses this year will leave the company just €2 million ahead of insolvency.
    The State-owned rail operator has predicted that it will lose about €6 million this year, bringing its accumulated deficit to €159.2 million"

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/iarnr%C3%B3d-%C3%A9ireann-nearly-insolvent-due-to-losses-1.3108548

Now if they closed a few of the worst loss-makers, the picture would be a lot better.

It would have a minimal effect and what would they close the next time that losses reach a critical point? The company is well past its sell-by-date and should have been wound up years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

With the way IR are going they'd make the Dublin to Cork route loss making.

It is.

It is.

Even with the subsidy?

God, and I thought it made money.

Even with the subsidy?

God, and I thought it made money.

I doubt if any line makes money, it is just a matter of level of subvention, public transport is not really about making money, but there does come a point when the level of subvention per passenger for certain routes has to be questioned, this really is the crux of the WRC, nobody is arguing the west should not have subvented public transport; it is a matter of how does the west get the best bang for its buck in terms of quality public transport for the subvention western public transport receives.

All rail routes will be by their nature loss making, but it's the scale of the losses relative to usage levels that is disturbing. A certain percentage of the public transport bill must always come from the public purse, but where an overpriced and inappropriate transport solutions is applied to one route, it takes away resources from a more heavily used route.
    The three heavy loss makers should be closed immediately and IR should concentrate on the lines that have the potential to carry reasonable numbers with minimum subsidy. Politics, particularly local parish pumpery, needs to be taken out of the running of Irish Rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Passed by the rear of Tuam Railway Station today and there is a large hole on the roof at the back. The rafters projecting out look decidedly rotten. Shame to see another valuable piece of railway heritage collapsing.
    Interesting though to see Mulranny's Station refurbishment completed and Ringer beaming at the ribbon cutting on Friday.

I was under the impression from here that the Athenry to Tuam route was full of level crossings, I only count 1?

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Passed by the rear of Tuam Railway Station today and there is a large hole on the roof at the back. The rafters projecting out look decidedly rotten. Shame to see another valuable piece of railway heritage collapsing.
    Interesting though to see Mulranny's Station refurbishment completed and Ringer beaming at the ribbon cutting on Friday.

There must have been some money spent on that job - it was a complete wreck in 1993 and the brickwork was falling to pieces. I suspect looking at this photograph that it (the brickwork) may be the cause of expensive problems again in the not too distant future.

18951120_1560205340677385_5065576499471960770_n.jpg?oh=ae63e1be11b552134a586e54c2c30bd6&oe=59A3B757

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was under the impression from here that the Athenry to Tuam route was full of level crossings, I only count 1?
    No, it's north of Tuam towards Claremorris and beyond that's full of level crossings, as it was constructed as a light railway. Tuam-Athenry is much better and more segregated than north of Tuam.

There must have been some money spent on that job - it was a complete wreck in 1993 and the brickwork was falling to pieces. I suspect looking at this photograph that it (the brickwork) may be the cause of expensive problems again in the not too distant future.

18951120_1560205340677385_5065576499471960770_n.jpg?oh=ae63e1be11b552134a586e54c2c30bd6&oe=59A3B757

Hope Kiltimagh is not expecting the same for the velorail, I doubt if the Ringers gift of 180,000 for the velorail without planning permission project will result in this kind of fine brickwork in East Mayo.

That won't be a problem; the minister for westport will find the money. As long as it's not going to anything that might upset wot.

Another petition on change.org this time in regard to the Charlestown - Swinford section of the Western Rail Trail there are a few petitions to sign on change.org about different sections of the Western Rail Trail, this is the latest

https://www.change.org/p/peter-hynes-county-manager-greenway-on-the-closed-for-40-years-railway-line-from-swinford-to-charlestown-now-please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

http://connachttribune.ie/end-era-bridge-ballyglunin-leaves-track/

hope it's the end of a era of bull****ting the people of north Galway.

http://connachttribune.ie/end-era-bridge-ballyglunin-leaves-track/

hope it's the end of a era of bull****ting the people of north Galway.

Judging by the coverage in the local papers of the march for the greenway last Sunday, the people around Tuam at least have had taken the bs they are willing to take.
    With the redrawing of the constituency boundaries, Tuam is now a key battleground that will win or lose a seat for at least one sitting TD, and the issue that will tip the balance is likely to be the greenway one. It will be a brave (or very foolhardy) TD who sits on the fence on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

600 people showed up on Sunday in Tuam to demand action on a Greenway between Athenry, Tuam and Milltown. Excellent turn-out and it will have put the wind-up a few hard-nosed local county councillors. I was there and got my bumper sticker :D, plenty more were handed out too. Momentum is most definitely building, important vote in Galway CoCo scheduled for September.

http://www.tuamherald.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/06/28/4142302-greenway-trial-was-massive-boost-for-campaign/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement