Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Quackster wrote: »
    eastwest wrote: »
    Once it's extended to Dublin on the Barrow way and grand canal, it will be logical to extend it towards Cork, so I'd say that West of dungarvan is already a plan.

The Youghal line would be out of the question for a number of reasons so routing it to Mallow would make the most sense.

Also having one end (or both if possible) of every greenway connect directly with the rail network world greatly facilitate end-to-end use, especially by tourists, and bolster patronage of the rail network at the same time.
    As would Athenry & Claremorris on a WRC convert. They understand this in Athenry.
    An Athenry-Claremorris-Collooney trail would be well served by rail connections and would add business to three rail routes.
    Not that that is of interest to the anti-tourism brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

An Athenry-Claremorris-Collooney trail would be well served by rail connections and would add business to three rail routes.

Let's say a greenway gets opened between Athenry - Claremorris - Collooney, you have identified possible increased rail business and one potential 'by-product' of this. Do you think other areas would see increased businesses? If so, what? And would any new businesses emerge as a result of the greenway?

Let's say a greenway gets opened between Athenry - Claremorris - Collooney, you have identified possible increased rail business and one potential 'by-product' of this. Do you think other areas would see increased businesses? If so, what? And would any new businesses emerge as a result of the greenway?
    The typical downstream jobs from long trails are accommodation, food, bike hire and taxi/minibus hire. Waterford has already seen a surge of jobs in these sectors in Kilmacthomas and dungarvan in particular.
    Since most of this spending is done locally with local businesses, the money tends to stay local and to be spent between two and three times in the area with other providers -- builders, supermarkets, shops etc etc. Rural tourism has the highest distributive effect of any sector.
    The chances of getting money from somebody passing through your town on a train are pretty much zero, unless he drops his wallet out the window, but a cyclist or Walker has to eat, drink and sleep somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

The typical downstream jobs from long trails are accommodation, food, bike hire and taxi/minibus hire. Waterford has already seen a surge of jobs in these sectors in Kilmacthomas and dungarvan in particular.
    Since most of this spending is done locally with local businesses, the money tends to stay local and to be spent between two and three times in the area with other providers -- builders, supermarkets, shops etc etc. Rural tourism has the highest distributive effect of any sector.
    The chances of getting money from somebody passing through your town on a train are pretty much zero, unless he drops his wallet out the window, but a cyclist or Walker has to eat, drink and sleep somewhere.

It has also been well established that sense of community, local confidence that come naturally high quality living space and a healthy environment are as important to foreign multinationals wanting to invest in Ireland as transport & connectivity. Hence the success of http://westcorktech.ie
    "West Cork’s natural beauty, it’s amenities and sense of community can offer companies and individuals all the benefits of location in an area which offers every attraction in terms of business, communication, transport and infrastructure" And don't fall for the East Galway is not West Cork argument.

It has also been well established that sense of community, local confidence that come naturally high quality living space and a healthy environment are as important to foreign multinationals wanting to invest in Ireland as transport & connectivity. Hence the success of http://westcorktech.ie
    "West Cork’s natural beauty, it’s amenities and sense of community can offer companies and individuals all the benefits of location in an area which offers every attraction in terms of business, communication, transport and infrastructure" And don't fall for the East Galway is not West Cork argument.
    The IDA uses 'quality of life' as one of the criteria when assessing investment locations, because it is near the top of the list for personnel managers tasked with staffing major projects.
    Another important factor that is often overlooked is that rural tourism helps make the difference between profit or loss for many small businesses that communities need. The restaurant or small shop that we use half a dozen times a year won't survive on our spending, but we like it to be there when we need it. The much maligned 'Dublin 4 types on bikes' (as detractors like to style tourists) are the ones who keep services alive in many rural places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Thanks - there were the ones I thought but was wondering if there were any less obvious ones as I wouldnt know as others on this thread about greenways / railways.

Thanks - there were the ones I thought but was wondering if there were any less obvious ones as I wouldnt know as others on this thread about greenways / railways.
    In Northumberland, a region very similar to East mayo/east Galway and south sligo, the initial impact of the hadrians wall path was accommodation-- mostly B&Bs at first and then campsites. Then the camping barns started to develop, small farmers converting disused sheds to hostel like accommodation, something that has spread and made many small farms viable. The next phase was the reopening of pubs and shops, and the refurbishment of existing hotels with a surge in employment in construction. A number of taxi firms now make a nice income from shuttling walkers to and from the points where they finished the night before to accommodation.
    The most unexpected downstream jobs came from the two companies set up to carry luggage from place to place. These now run vans all along the route, not only carrying luggage but also other supplies to accommodation providers. A bus route also developed parallel to the trail, something that has proved a boon to people living along the route as well as to the hikers it was set up to serve.
    The hadrians wall path has saved a dying region and completely turned it's fortunes around; the biggest bonus for locals, apart from jobs and income opportunities has been the revival of services locally -- shops, pubs and cafes have reopened or been saved from closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How is Northumberland similar to East mayo? The population within an hour of it is into the millions, compared to about 100,000 for mayo.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How is Northumberland similar to East mayo? The population within an hour of it is into the millions, compared to about 100,000 for mayo.
    Poor land, subsistence sheep farming, wet climate, towns and villages in decline, all the young people gone, no jobs, shops, pubs and hotels closed. Sound familiar?
    Then the National lottery gave them 7 million pounds to develop what became a 'must do' long-distance trail, and the place came back from the dead.
    Still, being waved at from a slow train by six pensioners on a day out will be good for Kiltimagh, whenever it happens.
    With varadkar as taoiseach, given his scathing dismissal of the politically driven first phase of the wrc, and his assertion that this mistake won't be repeated, that 'whenever' seems a hundred years away, at best. So what to do in the meantime, let it rot?

With Enda Kenny headed for the back benches, only Michael Ring now stands up for the 'all mayo tourism must be in westport' brigade.
    The question is, will Ring be able to stop the inevitable?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07kR1YDn9lM&sns=tw via @youtube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I have to say I'm disappointed to hear that the emergency services had such a challenge trying to get an injured walker off the Achill greenway at the weekend. No forward planning or contingency thoughts made when developing that greenway for emergency situations..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

hytrogen wrote: »
    I have to say I'm disappointed to hear that the emergency services had such a challenge trying to get an injured walker off the Achill greenway at the weekend. No forward planning or contingency thoughts made when developing that greenway for emergency situations..

link?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

link?

Saw it somewhere on Facebook this morning, one of those emergency service news papers I think?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not an issue for the Tuam-Collooney greenway given the frequency of level crossings along the route.

marno21 wrote: »
    Not an issue for the Tuam-Collooney greenway given the frequency of level crossings along the route.
    Could be an issue for the fantasy 'stop the greenway' greenway proposed by West on track. The one that goes from nowhere to nowhere, connecting everything to nothing.

So - A National Greenway Strategy. It would be unimaginable without the inclusion of the rusty old remnants of the WRC.
    Somebody better throw a train on the table double quick or it really is game over. Again.

I'll see your imaginary train, and raise you one bridge.

I see your bridge and slip a deep sea port at Foynes from under the deck to make a "western straight".

I see your bridge and slip a deep sea port at Foynes from under the deck to make a "western straight".
    Hard luck. I have a priest and two Bishops, and two 'shur ya never knows'.

Hard luck. I have a priest and two Bishops, and two 'shur ya never knows'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Short description
    Limerick to Foynes Railway Line Surveying and Site Investigation Services
    Detailed description
    SFPC are now seeking to engage an experienced surveying company, preferably with railway surveying experience, to survey and investigate the route infrastructure.

Type of Contract:

Services Contracting authority
    Shannon Foynes Port Company

Mill House
    Foynes,
    Co. Limerick
    Ireland

View profile [contact]
    john carlton

www.sfpc.ie
    Response deadline (Irish time)
    06-06-2017 12:00 Currency
    EUR
    Main CPV code
    79311000-7 Survey services
    CPV codes
    71250000-5 Architectural, engineering and surveying services
    71351720-6 Geophysical surveys of archaeological sites
    71351811-1 Topographical surveys of archaeological sites
    71351923-2 Bathymetric surveys services
    71353000-7 Surface surveying services
    71355000-1 Surveying services
    Published notices Date of publishing Publishing status
    Contract notice - utilities (TED (v209)) 21-05-2017 17:55 Published

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Short description
    Limerick to Foynes Railway Line Surveying and Site Investigation Services
    Detailed description
    SFPC are now seeking to engage an experienced surveying company, preferably with railway surveying experience, to survey and investigate the route infrastructure.

Type of Contract:

Services Contracting authority
    Shannon Foynes Port Company

Mill House
    Foynes,
    Co. Limerick
    Ireland

View profile [contact]
    john carlton

www.sfpc.ie
    Response deadline (Irish time)
    06-06-2017 12:00 Currency
    EUR
    Main CPV code
    79311000-7 Survey services
    CPV codes
    71250000-5 Architectural, engineering and surveying services
    71351720-6 Geophysical surveys of archaeological sites
    71351811-1 Topographical surveys of archaeological sites
    71351923-2 Bathymetric surveys services
    71353000-7 Surface surveying services
    71355000-1 Surveying services
    Published notices Date of publishing Publishing status
    Contract notice - utilities (TED (v209)) 21-05-2017 17:55 Published
    Key words here are 'Limerick to Foynes', i.e. to connect with the Dublin Limerick line.
    There isn't a hope in he'll of anyone extrapolating additional rail capacity into Foynes to spending another cent north of Athenry. It's over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If there was a shred of planning in this country the Foynes branch would be opened for passenger traffic and towns/villages along the route developed.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    If there was a shred of planning in this country the Foynes branch would be opened for passenger traffic and towns/villages along the route developed.
    You may well be right, but railways need two things, high population densities and enough people willing to use them.
    The problem in Ireland has been that politics and not logic has dictated investment in rail.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You may well be right, but railways need two things, high population densities and enough people willing to use them.
    The problem in Ireland has been that politics and not logic has dictated investment in rail.

- or lack of investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D

- or lack of investment.
    They made investment, but in the wrong areas. The money wasted in building and subsidising the ennis athenry debacle coukd have been used to good effect, such as imoriving running times on dublin sligo ir building Dublin Navan for instance. Or anywhere with the customer base to sustain it.

I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D
    Looks like they may have set that bar too high; it's not going great so far and will require a good fairy to bring it over the target.
    The only sustainable future for that building is a greenway, it would make a great spot to cycle out to from Tuam or athenry. However the Ballyglunin station group appears to be attempting to keep all sides on board and not to offend the rail nuts. They really need to make a call on this, to appeal to the bigger numbers who could make this happen. At the moment they are seen by many as part of the wot lobby, which is holding them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D[/QUOTE

I agree with Delboy. The track(s) should be preserved within station limits not gravelled over or removed.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D[/QUOTE

I agree with Delboy. The track(s) should be preserved within station limits not gravelled over or removed.
    They are trying to stop the roof from falling in and to use the building as a community centre. Very small local group who don't want to get fragmented with a rail v trail split. Simple stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement