Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Isambard wrote: »
    Del.Monte wrote: »
    I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D[/QUOTE

I agree with Delboy. The track(s) should be preserved within station limits not gravelled over or removed.
    They are trying to stop the roof from falling in and to use the building as a community centre. Very small local group who don't want to get fragmented with a rail v trail split. Simple stuff.
    I agree, they are at least trying to preserve some heritage.

I can't remember if this https://fundit.ie/project/save-the-quiet-man-train-station has been posted on this thread before, but surely it's something all you Greenway fans should be supporting. I won't be as they have already gravelled over the rails. :D[/QUOTE

I agree with Delboy. The track(s) should be preserved within station limits not gravelled over or removed.
    They are trying to stop the roof from falling in and to use the building as a community centre. Very small local group who don't want to get fragmented with a rail v trail split. Simple stuff.
    I agree, they are at least trying to preserve some heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

http://www.sligochamber.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AEC-Regional-Economic-Strategy.pdf
    The Western Economic Arc. All fine and noble in the sense of pooling resources, highlighting the positives in a regional manner and providing a counter balance to the East.
    Careful what you wish for though if you live in any one of the provincial towns within the Arc. A well informed source says that a high speed transport link from Derry to Cork will, in effect, suck the life out of every town along the route and give little back in return ( Kilmacthomas before the Greenway arrived). All the more reason for some "real" balanced investment with a piece of the bulging tourism pie being directed towards the smaller towns along the corridor. WRC to trail and all that this brings besides.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

http://www.sligochamber.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/AEC-Regional-Economic-Strategy.pdf
    The Western Economic Arc. All fine and noble in the sense of pooling resources, highlighting the positives in a regional manner and providing a counter balance to the East.
    Careful what you wish for though if you live in any one of the provincial towns within the Arc. A well informed source says that a high speed transport link from Derry to Cork will, in effect, suck the life out of every town along the route and give little back in return ( Kilmacthomas before the Greenway arrived). All the more reason for some "real" balanced investment with a piece of the bulging tourism pie being directed towards the smaller towns along the corridor. WRC to trail and all that this brings besides.

You're really talking out of your arse here, suck what life out of the town's? How would it do that? What more does an unused overgrown railway line offer than a high speed connection? At least if the line was open it would offer opportunities for passengers and freight!

And I'd also like to ask you about your remark on Kilmacthomas, where is the high speed line there, previous or current, how can you gague the effect of the Greenway yet (not been open long and we've not had a summer season where it's been open at Kilmacthomas) and how was the life sucked out Kilmacthomas period?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    How would it do that? What more does an unused overgrown railway line offer than a high speed connection? At least if the line was open it would offer opportunities for passengers and freight!

And I'd also like to ask you about your remark on Kilmacthomas, where is the high speed line there, previous or current, how can you gague the effect of the Greenway yet (not been open long and we've not had a summer season where it's been open at Kilmacthomas) and how was the life sucked out Kilmacthomas period?

There will never be a high speed line on the old WRC. Telling people that mythical high speed trains and motorway bypasses will bring investment to rural Ireland is a lie.

• Advertisement

There will never be a high speed line on the old WRC. Telling people that mythical high speed trains and motorway bypasses will bring investment to rural Ireland is a lie.

I didn't say there would be, but you said this "A well informed source says that a high speed transport link from Derry to Cork will, in effect, suck the life out of every town along the route" which is why I made my point.

Also, what basis have you got for this? Unless motorways stop all traffic from travelling I don't understand your point? Basic economics state that these areas have no chance of getting any FDI without good transport and internet links, what have you got to state otherwise?

And you've not answered anything that I've asked in my post, infact you went even further off the point and really the post made little sense.

suck what life out of the town's? How would it do that?" - On the general consensus it's not going to be a rail link - it will be motorway connecting 5 urban centres. Retail business will gravitate towards towards these larger urban areas.

"What more does an unused overgrown railway line offer than a high speed connection?" - A Greenway maybe to help sustain the smaller towns that are being bypassed.

"At least if the line was open it would offer opportunities for passengers and freight!" arse talk from you.

"And I'd also like to ask you about your remark on Kilmacthomas, where is the high speed line there, previous or current, how can you gague the effect of the Greenway yet (not been open long and we've not had a summer season where it's been open at Kilmacthomas) and how was the life sucked out Kilmacthomas period?" -The people of Kilmacthomas- "The Greenway has brought a new sense of confidence and community spirit". Their words not mine.

Western Economic Arc is laudable and necessary but it needs to be far more than a "Join the dots" exercise. Bypasses have a habit of creeping up and biting communities in the backside years after they are completed in the absence of a counter balance for the towns affected.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's ridiculous that towns along the Tuam-Collooney railway are being deprived of REAL potential tourism and investment by a minority of people who have this absolutely delirious notion that the boards of multinational companies will bring a rake of jobs to rural Connacht because there is a Victorian tramway connecting the routes. Google didn't choose Grand Canal Dock over Kiltimagh because it's near a railway. Neither did Regeneron choose Limerick over Swinford because there's a railway station a few kilometres away.

The people of Waterford realised there is much more benefit to a greenway tourism and income wise than a slow windy train carrying 5 pensioners between small towns, and are now reaping the rewards. Lets hope the people of the West realise sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

marno21 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous that towns along the Tuam-Collooney railway are being deprived of REAL potential tourism and investment by a minority of people who have this absolutely delirious notion that the boards of multinational companies will bring a rake of jobs to rural Connacht because there is a Victorian tramway connecting the routes. Google didn't choose Grand Canal Dock over Kiltimagh because it's near a railway. Neither did Regeneron choose Limerick over Swinford because there's a railway station a few kilometres away.

The people of Waterford realised there is much more benefit to a greenway tourism and income wise than a slow windy train carrying 5 pensioners between small towns, and are now reaping the rewards. Lets hope the people of the West realise sooner rather than later.

Will you be saying the same when there's a greenway from Mallow to Killarney instead of the train?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Will you be saying the same when there's a greenway from Mallow to Killarney instead of the train?
    There will never be a closure of the Mallow-Killarney line. Any notions there will be are nuts.

• Advertisement

There will never be a closure of the Mallow-Killarney line. Any notions there will be are nuts.

I hope that you're right as it was earmarked for closure several times in the past and will be again. Soon or later the scrapman cometh.

It's ridiculous that towns along the Tuam-Collooney railway are being deprived of REAL potential tourism and investment by a minority of people who have this absolutely delirious notion that the boards of multinational companies will bring a rake of jobs to rural Connacht because there is a Victorian tramway connecting the routes. Google didn't choose Grand Canal Dock over Kiltimagh because it's near a railway.
    But didn't Apple decide to put their factory in athenry because of the western rail corridor? They need freight trains to bring the stuff they make there to Foynes, did you not hear that?

I don't think 'nuts' is the word you're looking for. I would have said 'prophetic'.

eastwest wrote: »
    But didn't Apple decide to put their factory in athenry because of the western rail corridor? They need freight trains to bring the stuff they make there to Foynes, did you not hear that?

Apple factory? What comes out of a data centre doesn't need transport to Foynes thankfully.
    I don't think 'nuts' is the word you're looking for. I would have said 'prophetic'.

If Tralee-Mallow is unviable then so is everything west of Athlone, Longford-Sligo, Limerick-Athenry, Limerick Junction-Waterford, Kildare-Waterford, Rosslare-Greystones. It would be down to Cork and Dublin commuter rail and Cork/Belfast intercity.

We have a long way to go before Tralee-Mallow becomes a greenway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'd actually suggest aswell as building a Limerick to Cork line building a Limerick to Tralee line aswell

I wouldn't be surprised with the way IR appear to be running the lines. Come on, look at the LJ-Waterford line service and tell me that's not designed to keep passengers away!

And, Limerick to Cork direct line could well be a good idea, however I'd be more in favour of double tracking the Limerick to Limerick Junction line first. Limerick to Tralee is a non-runner.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Apple factory? What comes out of a data centre doesn't need transport to Foynes thankfully.

I think eastwest was having a little joke. Anyway Athenry is on the Dublin Galway line anyway, and they can run the fibre data cable alongside that.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I'd actually suggest aswell as building a Limerick to Cork line building a Limerick to Tralee line aswell
    You had me there for a minute!
    Nice one!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I hope that you're right as it was earmarked for closure several times in the past and will be again. Soon or later the scrapman cometh.

Killarney-Tralee was earmarked for closure in the 90s but there was never any question about Mallow-Killarney.

Trying to compare the WRC ghostway with any operating line (even those on their last legs) is comparing apples and avocados.

Quackster wrote: »
    Killarney-Tralee was earmarked for closure in the 90s but there was never any question about Mallow-Killarney.

Trying to compare the WRC ghostway with any operating line (even those on their last legs) is comparing apples and avocados.

Just as a matter of interest what was marked for closure aside from Killarney-Tralee?

• Advertisement

Just as a matter of interest what was marked for closure aside from Killarney-Tralee?

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/rail-report-routes-around-country-at-risk-of-closure-1.2840423

I don't even bother with newspapers anymore and even I knew of this latest nonsense.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Don't remember any other specific stretches. The track and signalling across much/most of the network was so antiquated in the mid 90s that it was on the verge of being condemned and when the investment finally came to roll out continuous welded rail and mini CTC, it was only to extend as far as Killarney. Political lobbying eventually had Killarney-Tralee added to the original contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't think it's fair to call the WRC the Ghostline anymore as , as far as I can see, it's loadings now are comparable to many other lines. That this has been brought about by slashing fares to an uneconomic level is another matter.

I don't think it's fair to call the WRC the Ghostline anymore as , as far as I can see, it's loadings now are comparable to many other lines. That this has been brought about by slashing fares to an uneconomic level is another matter.
    Once the motorway opens later this year, the days of the wrc are numbered, regardless of fare levels.
    And as for extending it further, that definitely belongs in the fairytale section.

Once the motorway opens later this year, the days of the wrc are numbered, regardless of fare levels.
    And as for extending it further, that definitely belongs in the fairytale section.

Are they? The new section of the M17 is not really any improvement in the journey to Galway. Going to tuam then yes it's great, but for Galway it's a strangely stupid route.

Are they? The new section of the M17 is not really any improvement in the journey to Galway. Going to tuam then yes it's great, but for Galway it's a strangely stupid route.
    Not really.
    A fast bus on the motorway will knock the socks off the train on Limerick-Galway.
    If you want to see a strangely stupid route, take the train to Athenry and on to Galway.
    As long as you're not in any hurry.

Not really.
    A fast bus on the motorway will knock the socks off the train on Limerick-Galway.
    If you want to see a strangely stupid route, take the train to Athenry and on to Galway.

As opposed to a fast bus on the current N18?

My point is there's going to be no/negligible change in the time it takes to get into Galway with this new motorway. Hence I cannot see an effect on the train service.

Not really.

My point is there's going to be no/negligible change in the time it takes to get into Galway with this new motorway. Hence I cannot see an effect on the train service.
    North of Gort can currently be very slow at times, but an express bus on the motorway will defnitiely be the fastest way to get from Limerick to Galway, as well as being considerably cheaper.

Not really.

North of Gort can currently be very slow at times, but an express bus on the motorway will defnitiely be the fastest way to get from Limerick to Galway, as well as being considerably cheaper.

• Advertisement

It may well be, but if that's so then that's currently so, nothings really changing, although North of gort can be a nightmare, chances are I'll still be taking the exit either at gort or maybe I'll get to Kilternan now! The difference in time.will be nothing or close to nothing with the new motorway, and coming off the M6 into Galway will.be a massive nightmare now.

No effect on the train in my opinion, as nothing really changes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement