Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Wait. Is this the same Mick McGrath that played on the wing for Leinster?

• Site Banned Posts: 25 worldcupfever

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

MaybeMaybe wrote: »

Only in name, this guy playing sevens for ireland has eaten the old Mick Mcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Its beneficial if he can spend more than 4 minutes per tournament on the pitch actually playing rugby...

One run and he needs to be taken off, has added great impact but he hasnt needed that extra 10kg for anything most of his tries have been speed and acceleration not bulk and weight

He spends about the same amount of time on the pitch as most of the other players from what I've seen

D14Rugby wrote: »
    He spends about the same amount of time on the pitch as most of the other players from what I've seen

this isnt even close to being accurate...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

this isnt even close to being accurate...

Neither is him being 110kg...

He is an exceptionally stocky individual but having him at 110 has him heavier than the majority of the 15s back rows in the country and they all have a good few cms on him

Neither is him being 110kg...

He is an exceptionally stocky individual but having him at 110 has him heavier than the majority of the 15s back rows in the country and they all have a good few cms on him

Never said he was.... but he is undoubtedly carrying extra weight then when he played 15s

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Womens sevens in Biarritz this weekend

Kathy Baker (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Megan Burns (Tullamore/Leinster)
    Aoife Doyle (Shannon/Railway Union/Munster)
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Brittany Hogan (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Emily Lane (Mallow/Munster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster) (capt)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere/Munster)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Pool B:

Australia v Ireland, Stade Aguiléra, 12.52pm local time/11.52am Irish time
    Canada v Ireland, Stade Aguiléra, 3.14pm local time/2.14pm Irish time
    Spain v Ireland, Stade Aguiléra, 5.58pm local time/4.58am Irish time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

While in University Limerick the AIL 7s is on, is there no joined up thinking at all???? Why have these events clashing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

national 7s teams to fully move into Abbotstown in 2 weeks apparently. Be great for them to finally have a home instead of going from club to club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

I think we're lacking some top end size.

Nick Timoney was fantastic in his brief stint at Sevens. As was Adam Byrne.

Currently our biggest regular player is Harry McNulty who is a fantastic player but tops out at 6'1" I reckon

We need a player in the James Rodwell mould. 6'4 or taller with a bit of mass on them to suck some players in in the middle of the park.

Said it a few pages back, I would love to see Max Deegan play Sevens. Wont happen but my god an athlete like him would thrive.

Yeah, just completely overlook the black guy. That's a good look.

mark_way wrote: »
    Yeah, just completely overlook the black guy. That's a good look.

Ah here now.

Mods can you please have a look at this user?

They're clearly not here for reasonable discussion

Ah here now.

Mods can you please have a look at this user?

They're clearly not here for reasonable discussion

Your post is ridiculous is all. You go on about needing a big player in there and completely fail to mention the 6'7'', 110kg guy who played in the comp.

I think we're lacking some top end size.

Nick Timoney was fantastic in his brief stint at Sevens. As was Adam Byrne.

Currently our biggest regular player is Harry McNulty who is a fantastic player but tops out at 6'1" I reckon

We need a player in the James Rodwell mould. 6'4 or taller with a bit of mass on them to suck some players in in the middle of the park.

Said it a few pages back, I would love to see Max Deegan play Sevens. Wont happen but my god an athlete like him would thrive.
    mark_way wrote: »
    Your post is ridiculous is all. You go on about needing a big player in there and completely fail to mention the 6'7'', 110kg guy who played in the comp.

Are you referring to Cormac Izuchukwu? The person who made his debut in Paris?

Now read my bolded word.

Now jog on

Are you referring to Cormac Izuchukwu? The person who made his debut in Paris?

Now read my bolded word.

Now jog on

Yeah, I am. So your threshold is only mentioning players who have played more than one comp?

Why go on about Deegan, who's smaller than Izuchukwu, then?

You haven't a clue, mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Anywho..... Squad named for Moscow:

Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
    Jack Daly (Garryowen/Munster)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College)
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne)
    Hugo Lennox (Clontarf)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College)
    Greg O’Shea (Shannon)
    Mark Roche (Blackrock College)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Is this a qualifier for the Olympic qualifier?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

guapos wrote: »
    Is this a qualifier for the Olympic qualifier?

No. Top 9 will go to the qualifier in Colomiers in July seeded from this tourney

Ireland just well beaten by France. Look tired with ball in hand. Hopefully will peak at the right time = in July. England well beaten by Spain earlier too. Wouldn't read too much into this leg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,549 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mark_way wrote:
    Yeah, I am. So your threshold is only mentioning players who have played more than one comp?
    Why go on about Deegan, who's smaller than Izuchukwu, then?
    You haven't a clue, mate.
    No chance we'll ever get Max Deegan but it f it happened he'd be our best player by a mile
    Izuchukwu is nothing special at this moment in time but he is very young and hopefully he will turn into something special.

RE: Moscow GP today
    Scrappy win against Spain 17-12 plus Conroy limping is not good. France hammered Italy 54-0 and are a class above everyone else so far.

• Advertisement

Beat Germany 17-10 in the Semi
    France had the tougher Semi vs England

V France in the final at 5:10 IE time
    https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/all-rugby-europe-games-20182019?show_next_match=1

• Registered Users Posts: 37,549 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lost a close final to France 31-26.

We are in very good shape, one of the most consistent teams out there. We have a great chance to qualify for the Olympics I think. It looks very likely that it'll be one of us, France or England who will qualify.

anyone know why Mick Mcgrath and Peter Sullivan not selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

eagle eye wrote: »
    Lost a close final to France 31-26.

We are in very good shape, one of the most consistent teams out there. We have a great chance to qualify for the Olympics I think. It looks very likely that it'll be one of us, France or England who will qualify.
    We have good chance but think regular world series sides will get it ahead of us.

At least womens side have 3 slots to aim for as US and Canada qualified through the world series so the final qualifier next summer will have two slots for olympics up for grabs
    anyone know why Mick Mcgrath and Peter Sullivan not selected?
    Rotation? Injury? Sullivan only made debut few weeks ago so just not going to always be in squad every week

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

So the women's team beat England 24-19 in the quarter final of Leg 1 of the European Grand Prix in Marcoussis, currently playing home side France in the semi, as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

France win 14-12

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know this is a weird question to ask, but I saw a post on social media about the girls u18s team going to Paris and the girls themselves are from remarkably non traditional rugby clubs.

Not a single club from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway or any of the Belfast area counties.

Letterkenny
    Westport (x2)
    Gorey
    Dungannon
    Enniscorthy (x2)
    Naas
    Balinasloe
    Navan
    Dundalk
    Listowel

Is that a coincidence? Fair play to all those clubs if they're able to produce international level girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know this is a weird question to ask, but I saw a post on social media about the girls u18s team going to Paris and the girls themselves are from remarkably non traditional rugby clubs.

Not a single club from Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway or any of the Belfast area counties.

Letterkenny
    Westport (x2)
    Gorey
    Dungannon
    Enniscorthy (x2)
    Naas
    Balinasloe
    Navan
    Dundalk
    Listowel

Is that a coincidence? Fair play to all those clubs if they're able to produce international level girls.
    In Connacht while Galwegians and Corinthians now field teams in girls rugby they are from from the dominant sides and majority of competitions past pew seasons dominated by junior clubs.
    Many of these have put plenty of time that many senior clubs or so called traditional clubs simply never have put in towards girls rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Good article today on Louise Galvin of Sevens Rugby, in The Farmers Journal. Sorry it's behind a paywall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ireland Men’s 7s Squad (2019 Rugby Europe Olympic Qualification Tournament, Stade Michel Bendicichou, Colomiers, Saturday, July 13 – Sunday, July 14):
    Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College) Captain
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College)
    Foster Horan (Lansdowne)
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne)
    Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College)
    Greg O’Shea (Shannon)