Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fair enough. I was watching it on sky myself.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about mainstream media reporting and not live coverage from a massive sports network though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

S.M.B. wrote:
    I thought it was obvious I was talking about mainstream media reporting and not live coverage from a massive sports network though.

So being able to watch every game on a "massive sports network" amounts to "barely any coverage" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I was comparing coverage in both countries from the national broadcaster and the online presence of broadsheet papers I look at.

Sure is Sky Sports Action not available in Ireland?

S.M.B. wrote:
    I was comparing coverage in both countries from the national broadcaster and the online presence of broadsheet papers I look at.

No idea what that means.
    S.M.B. wrote:
    Sure is Sky Sports Action not available in Ireland?

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am so confused, are we arguing that there is not enough coverage of sevens rugby here because it gets full coverage on sky sports available in ireland? Is that not a complete contradiction?

• Advertisement

There are ten events in the 7s series and most if not all are shown live and in full on Sky Sports. I've watched tournaments from South Africa, New Zealand, Hong Kong and the US. The next one is in Paris this weekend and is on Sky.

I have no idea what point the other poster is trying to make.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The 7s is mentioned on the 6 and 9 o'clock news and people can watch every match live on either Sky Sports or on the website, can't see how much more coverage is needed, I would go as far as to say that it gets more coverage than other sports like Hockey or Cricket or Rugby League.

Clareman wrote:
    The 7s is mentioned on the 6 and 9 o'clock news and people can watch every match live on either Sky Sports or on the website, can't see how much more coverage is needed, I would go as far as to say that it gets more coverage than other sports like Hockey or Cricket or Rugby League.

Which is why I'm puzzled why RTE radio sport ignored it on Sunday afternoon and the Irish Times did the same today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

First Up wrote: »
    Which is why I'm puzzled why RTE radio sport ignored it on Sunday afternoon and the Irish Times did the same today.

It was mentioned on the 9am news on RTE, I was bringing my little 1 to swimming at the time so I remember the time :D The Irish Times was a bit busy with the election stuff.

In regards to payment, aren't a lot of the players being put through college as part of it?

Clareman wrote:
    It was mentioned on the 9am news on RTE, I was bringing my little 1 to swimming at the time so I remember the time The Irish Times was a bit busy with the election stuff.

I was referring to the 3-4 hour sports programme on RTE radio yesterday afternoon.

The Irish Times had time to produce a 10 page sports section today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clareman wrote: »
    In regards to payment, aren't a lot of the players being put through college as part of it?

No, most of these lads would have already gone through college, the likes of the core players (Conroy, McNulty, McGrath, Dardis, Roche) are 24+ and would've graduated years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Watched most of Irelands games over the weekend and was very pleased.

I found myself actually being very disappointed at the Fiji and New Zealand games. No shame in losing to them. But both were winnable games with the level that the fellas are at. And they definitely know this.

Fatigue must have been a factor because the tackling was incredibly soft for both of them. Quite uncharacteristic of the lads.

I have to say, I think Roche will have to do better. He was the hero of London last season but this year he was very poor in defense I thought. Falling off tackles and getting wrong footed constantly. He was badly caught out for pace several times too. He is a very decent play maker but Dardis is head and shoulders ahead oh him.

Delighted to see big Mick McGrath back. His ability to bosh a defender out of the way even if they get low is something that will be incredibly valuable. His center of mass seems somewhere around his knees given how hard he is to put down ha.

Terry Kennedy is really becoming better and better every tournament that I see him in. Really good sevens player

Bring on Paris! Hopefully they can improve on 6th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

GavMan wrote: »
    I know Jordan Conroy lives across the road from Lansdowne road so he ain't doing that on 20grand a year and feeding himself.

IRFU have a number a properties in the area so I'd imagine they are housing at least those who want to be

The last I had heard was that the players from too far away to reasonably commute were sharing a house that the union had helped them get but they were still paying some form of rent so that could be what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Is there a risk that being on the circuit next year will mean we lose access to the FTA Youtube stream? Enjoyed it, I know sky get the same feed, but no ads is kinda deadly!

errlloyd wrote: »
    Is there a risk that being on the circuit next year will mean we lose access to the FTA Youtube stream? Enjoyed it, I know sky get the same feed, but no ads is kinda deadly!

Think World Rugby stream most of the series on youtube or their website. At least they have for the past couple of seasons anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Think World Rugby stream most of the series on youtube or their website. At least they have for the past couple of seasons anyways.

Yeah, but it is geoblocked in countries where the rights have been aquired. I presume Sky will buy Ireland rights now that we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

errlloyd wrote: »

The way Sevens currently is it would be pretty hard to fit ads into it.

There is only 2 minutes between games and 2 minutes for half time.

Even if they were to squeeze ads into that time frame I think it's pretty manageable.

Having said that if it gets any bigger and gets good TV rights you'd assume they'd start asking organisers for a better schedule for ad breaks. Ie longer times between games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Men's squad for Paris
    Jack Daly (Garryowen/Munster)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (UCD) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Cormac ‘Izzy’ Izuchukwu (Old Wesley)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Hugo Lennox (Clontarf)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Peter Maher (Old Belvedere)
    Mick McGrath (Clontarf)
    Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College)
    Greg O’Shea (Shannon)
    Peter Sullivan (Lansdowne)

And the women's squad
    Kathy Baker (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Megan Burns (Tullamore/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Katie Heffernan (Mullingar/Railway Union/Leinster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Brittany Hogan (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Emily Lane (Mallow/Munster)
    Anna McGann (UCD/Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster) (capt)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere/Munster)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Men's squad for Paris
    Jack Daly (Garryowen/Munster)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (UCD) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Cormac ‘Izzy’ Izuchukwu (Old Wesley)
    Jack Kelly (Dublin University/Leinster)
    Hugo Lennox (Clontarf)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Peter Maher (Old Belvedere)
    Mick McGrath (Clontarf)
    Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College)
    Greg O’Shea (Shannon)
    Peter Sullivan (Lansdowne)

And the women's squad
    Kathy Baker (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Megan Burns (Tullamore/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Katie Heffernan (Mullingar/Railway Union/Leinster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Brittany Hogan (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Emily Lane (Mallow/Munster)
    Anna McGann (UCD/Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster) (capt)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (Old Belvedere/Munster)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Good to see new caps rotated in. Been a long season already and Olympic QF is next priority. Can we go 3 wins in a row against England? 2 W's in our first 2 games and we would be in the cup side before we line out against Fiji. We could also lose all 3 pool games today it's that tough a pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ireland 7s match times today (Irish time), according to:
    https://www.world.rugby/sevens-series/stage/1886/fixtures

vs. Argentina - 11:28
    vs. England - 14:54
    vs. Fiji - 18:42

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

This is arguably the easiest game in Irelands group and it's a rather poor performance so far and looking like a defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Very different looking team with some names missing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

nerd69 wrote: »
    Very different looking team with some names missing

First half OK. Jack Daly lost at sea 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fiji looking utterly unstoppable once again

Fiji are going to put some scire on us I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Nasty nasty injury for the USA player there- why did they keep showing replays

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Beating England 17-0 approaching half time.

Soft try to give away before the half

Fantastic finish from McGrath there, surprised by his pace given the amount of bulking he's done over the past couple of years.

Superb stuff from the lads to pull it out of the bag considering the poor start to the tournament.

• Advertisement

I get that this was not a full England team but do we just have their number or what

Advertisement