Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

That_Guy wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if the budget was actually amazing and the only thing they could complain about is not having anything to complain about.

They'll still have the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

RTE Text Tracker
    Independent TD Jackie Healy Rea says he expects the Government to see out its full term.

You heard it here first, if Jackie Healey Ray says it, it must be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Berkut wrote: »
    fúck no..screw the people on the dole..they shouldn't be entitled to it:p

see?? even still we won't be happy and have something to bítch about :D

Its people like you that ruin it for the rest of us :( there was me thinking Cowen was going to come all robin hood and give us money and now all I can think about is that I hope burger king are still doing recession buster meals after christmas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Okay guys im tunning in live from Aus to watch this budget, tis a balmy 18 degrees at 00:45 here:D, no sleep tonight:(.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Okay guys im tunning in live from Aus to watch this budget, tis a balmy 18 degrees at 00:45 here:D, no sleep tonight:(.

Should've went to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Big_Mac wrote: »
    RTE Text Tracker
    You heard it here first, if Jackie Healey Ray says it, it must be true!
    That fat, useless lump is so bought off by them, he'd know! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I heard we're all going to be rich.
    I reckon the government was using the NAMA thing as a big lie to get 54 billion. So that on budget day today they could give everyone person in the country about €13,000 each!

54 billion divided by 4 million = thirteen thousand five hundred

You wait and see, its gonna be deadly!:cool:

That's the kind of blind optimism I could really get into!!!

The only way this budget would be less painful is if they got Jedward to announce it with backing dancers and flashing lights.

"Yeah. It's budget time. Let's rock this bitch"

Now there's a budget I'd look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The only way this budget would be less painful is if they got Jedward to announce it with backing dancers and flashing lights.

"Yeah. It's budget time. Let's rock this bitch"

Now there's a budget I'd look forward to.

Hmmm, not sure that it would actually be less painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That's the kind of blind optimism I could really get into!!!

If we all close our eyes and wish really hard it might work:P

Come on the collective power of boards

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just hearing now on liveline that the price of drink is going down in the budget:D hapip haray, this budget might not be this bad at all, i think they done this because by cutting the dole they risked the ire of the unemployed and thugs but by lowering drink prices they cam migigate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's quite sickening that Cowan's wage is about 230,000 euro post budget, when the rest of the country has to deal with a cut back of 4 billion euro.

He's taking a huge paycut though, nearly €60k I think? His salary is in line with the salaries of other EU leaders.

Just hearing now on liveline that the price of drink is going down in the budget:D hapip haray, this budget might not be this bad at all, i think they done this because by cutting the dole they risked the ire of the unemployed and thugs but by lowering drink prices they cam migigate this.

Yep, far more money is going to be taken out of your wages and savings but hey, you get to save 10c on your next dose of alcohol ...so all's right with the world. :rolleyes:

**sigh**

One step forwards, two steps back!

I'd say it's mainly to try and reduce the amount of people buying alcohol over the border.

I'd say the Australian budget is fantastic

"G'day mates. Roight. Dole has been slashed like Harvery Norman's prices but don't worry mates, on arrival to the dole office you'll all get a nice cool can of Fosters each. Wa-hey"

I'd say it's mainly to try and reduce the amount of people buying alcohol over the border.

Yep and I'd expect petrol prices to go up a bit too to further discourage people to go up North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Biggins wrote: »
    Yep, far more money is going to be taken out of your wages and savings but hey, you get to save 10c on your next dose of alcohol ...so all's right with the world. :rolleyes:

**sigh**

One step forwards, two steps back!

this country makes me sick.

"as long as i can get a few pence off a pint, everything is grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

I'll be hanging around Dublin city centre with little to do, and I'd be interested in watching the budget. Does anyone know if there's a pub or other venue in the city centre that'll be showing it live on tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

genericguy wrote: »
    this country makes me sick.

"as long as i can get a few pence off a pint, everything is grand"

I'm going to hold the same contempt for people who get all pants-happy over the dole cuts.

Yep and I'd expect petrol prices to go up a bit too to further discourage people to go up North.

Well the new carbon tax is going to be introduced, so that will push petrol up probably about 6 cent a litre, diesel will be affected too.

• Advertisement

Melange wrote: »
    I'll be hanging around Dublin city centre with little to do, and I'd be interested in watching the budget. Does anyone know if there's a pub or other venue in the city centre that'll be showing it live on tv?

Every pub should be showing it. People will need to drown their sorrows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I'm going to hold the same contempt for people who get all pants-happy over the dole cuts.

yeah, defo agree. it's gotta be cut, but it certainly ain't something that'd make me smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

He's taking a huge paycut though, nearly €60k I think? His salary is in line with the salaries of other EU leaders.

Considering how bad Ireland's particular recession is... it doesn't seem like it's enough.

Considering how bad Ireland's particular recession is... it doesn't seem like it's enough.

I agree and I'm sure so do most people BUT he is the leader of our country and is entitled to the high salary that goes with the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Everyone agrees that there needs to be cuts, but only for other people

Aye, Swiss Bank managers and off shore accountants!
    Know what I mean U2! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Biggins wrote: »
    Know what I mean U2! :rolleyes:

The government don't have a way to oblige the likes of U2 with foreign registered holding companies to pay tax here. In the same way hundreds of companies pay our 10% corporation tax instead of their own.

Not necessarily. I've taken a pay cut in my job, plus been hit with 2 tax increases in the past 14 months, but I'm still willing to contribute more if I must. None of us like it, but most people accept that it has to be done. I've gained respect for the government in the past few weeks, after them standing up to the unions, and I trust that they're doing what they can to try and fix the terrible situation the country's in.

laugh wrote: »
    The government don't have a way to oblige the likes of U2 with foreign registered holding companies to pay tax here. In the same way hundreds of companies pay our 10% corporation tax instead of their own.
    Aye, its laughtable.
    Even our own TV stars have set themselves up as "companies" registered elsewhere in some cases reportedly to avoid paying what considered a fair rate of tax as the rest of those on the same level.

• Advertisement

laugh wrote: »

Is it not 12.5%??

Advertisement