Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Talk about shoving it down our throats right away!
    The Coalition is planning to rush through the cuts to social welfare payments to prevent Fianna Fail backbenchers from being forced into a climbdown.
    The Government is going to rush the passing of cuts in social welfare through a Dail vote tomorrow to prevent any Fianna Fail backbenchers being lobbied to vote against the cuts when they go home to their constituencies this weekend.
    Taoiseach Brian Cowen yesterday said the legislation... would be put in place tonight or early tomorrow to allow it to be debated the day after the Budget.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/budget-sweeteners-1968093.html

These fcukers never moved this fast before when it suited them.
    Ther are doing this to stifle the public right to protest.
    I find such measures just to ram-raid alone all the budget measures on the people absolutely disgusting.

Yet again if this country lets them away with their dictatorship actions - they partly deserve what they get!

I look forwards to the coup - see you on the front-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't screw the smokers as per usual.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they won't screw the smokers as per usual.

I wonder has there been a drop in revenue from smoking as a result of the high numbers of smokers attaining cigarettes through other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I wonder has there been a drop in revenue from smoking as a result of the high numbers of smokers attaining cigarettes through other means.

+1 on this, I know more people than ever smokin foreign cigs, If they put the price up any more it will deffo be cheaper to fly ryanair to another city just to buy cigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Biggins wrote: »
    I look forwards to the coup - see you on the front-line.

Every time I see words to this effect my eyes roll back in my head. I get the feeling I may be uncomfortably aware of what my eye sockets actually look like by the end of today.

• Advertisement

Every time I see words to this effect my eyes roll back in my head. I get the feeling I may be uncomfortably aware of what my eye sockets actually look like by the end of today.
    I know what you mean - keep hoping myself - I have no illusions.
    The too complacent sheep of this country will be bought off by small tokens and empty words.

For the record, I don't drink or smoke, so it will make fcuk all differance what he does to the price of drink or cigs.
    So that token he's supposed to be offering - just don't wash!

Sorry Cowen and co - this gobschite don't fall for it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The too complacent sheep of this country will be bought off by small tokens and empty words.

And cheaper booze.
    Don't forget cheaper booze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Probably a case of stating the obvious but the two main groups being asked to carry the can are people on social welfare and civil servants.

Should be interesting to find out the extent to which this will be the case.

For the record, I don't drink or smoke, so it will make fcuk all differance what he does to the price of drink or cigs.
    So that token he's supposed to be offering - just don't wash!

Sorry Cowen and co - this gobschite don't fall for it.

No, i don't think you get me.

Everyone is complaining, some more vocal than others.
    However I see no alternatives being put forward, by anyone.

So until someone can at least follow up "this is bad plan" with their own plan then they can continue bleating all they like, i don't really value their opinion.

Coup indeed. I think the only people who'd be worse than the incumbents would be the people calling for this 'coup'.

So until someone can at least follow up "this is bad plan" with their own plan then they can continue bleating all they like, i don't really value their opinion.

Coup indeed. I think the only people who'd be worse than the incumbents would be the people calling for this 'coup'.

I suspect that some are not saying what other plans they have - for fear of FF stealing them and just use them to remain longer in power.
    I know alternatives have been put forward by some of the opposition - details I don't have to hand but have been reported a number of times in the Irish media.

For those that having problems getting live feed from RTE news site now/later, go to:
    http://www.oireachtas.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/livewebcast/Web-Live.htm&CatID=83&m=o

for an alternative more direct source of live feed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

There was a good article in The Sunday Times with an alternative budget plan which looked quite sensible and claimed to save 6 billion, might try and dig it out later

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,757 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

UK VAT rate just confirmed to be going back to 17.5% from 1 January, thereby marginally reducing the differential with Ireland - I don't anticipate any change in the Irish rate this afternoon

RTE Schedule:

# 1520-1800: Budget Special
    # 1800-1930: Six One News
    # 1930-2100: Dáil Éireann - Opposition reaction
    # 2100-2140: Nine News
    # 2140-2230: Prime Time Budget Special

RTE Player: http://www.rte.ie/player/#

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RTE Schedule:

1801: Government shocked as hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens march on the Daíl, refusing to allow any TD out until a General Election is called.

I can dream :)

IvySlayer wrote: »
    1801: Government shocked as hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens march on the Daíl, refusing to allow any TD out until a General Election is called.

I can dream :)
    Then you wake up at 18.02 to the live news nightmare: the face of Cowen on the news staring down at you! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Some of the quotes from the live tracker are hilarious.
    The RTÉ Newsroom is a hive of activity as journalists from all platforms prepare for the busiest day of the year.
    Brian Lenihan has posed for photographs with his Budget at Government Buildings.
    Once today is over, Brian Lenihan could be even less popular than a certain French footballer.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    There was a good article in The Sunday Times with an alternative budget plan which looked quite sensible and claimed to save 6 billion, might try and dig it out later

That'd be awesome if you could manage it.

I'll have a hunt around online and see if it exists there.

RTE Schedule:

Then stick on a bit of Sky News for their budget.

BUDGETHON!!!!

It's a good tactic though, give a horrible budget, but reduce the price of alcohol, so at least the people can afford to drink away their sorrows.

How typically Irish. You'll get a serious discussion on the budget by a few people and then some scumbag will just dismantle the entire conversation by saying "Well at least the booze is cheap wha?"

That_Guy wrote: »
    How typically Irish. You'll get a serious discussion on the budget by a few people and then some scumbag will just dismantle the entire conversation by saying "Well at least the booze is cheap wha?"

As long as some get their booze and fags, thats the extent of their participation and efforts.
    Its easy to see why the country is in the state its in when you get that type of mental "couldn't care less", "I'm all right jack!" attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

That_Guy wrote: »
    some scumbag will just dismantle the entire conversation by saying "Well at least the booze is cheap wha?"

I hear he flashes people too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Anyone know what time it starts at?

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Anyone know what time it starts at?
    Around 3.25 or 3.30

From the RTE live tracker
    Sean O'Rourke has asked Sean Whelan if Brian Lenihan will provide some 'moral compensation' for the public by taxing the rich in some way. Will we ever get over what happened in Paris?

Some of these quotes are cringeworthy.

Here's hoping that the entire government deliver a good budget, then hop in their spaceship and fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

RTE Twitter
    Protestors have begun to gather outside Leinster House to express their opposition to measures that are expected to be introduced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I reckon the government was using the NAMA thing as a big lie to get 54 billion. So that on budget day today they could give everyone person in the country about €13,000 each!

54 billion divided by 4 million = thirteen thousand five hundred

You wait and see, its gonna be deadly!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fingers crossed for a hand grenade of a **** up that brings down this corrupt shower of gombeen bastards once and for all

Big_Mac wrote: »
    RTE Twitter
    Protestors have begun to gather outside Leinster House to express their opposition to measures that are expected to be introduced

Wouldn't it be great if the budget was actually amazing and the only thing they could complain about is not having anything to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I reckon the government was using the NAMA thing as a big lie to get 54 billion. So that on budget day today they could give everyone person in the country about €13,000 each!

54 billion divided by 4 million = thirteen thousand five hundred

You wait and see, its gonna be deadly!:cool:

fúck no..screw the people on the dole..they shouldn't be entitled to it:p

see?? even still we won't be happy and have something to bítch about :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

It's quite sickening that Cowan's wage is about 230,000 euro post budget, when the rest of the country has to deal with a cut back of 4 billion euro.

Advertisement