Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Saibh wrote: »
    Might help if they did reduce VAT rates. The UK Vat rate 15% will change to 17.5% in January 2010.

They should cut it to 12%. Might stop people going up North.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Saibh wrote: »
    Might help if they did reduce VAT rates. The UK Vat rate 15% will change to 17.5% in January 2010.

Looks like they're cutting to the heart of the matter by just dropping the price of booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

super-rush wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of ye but i'm voting no tomorrow.....What was the question again?

Lisbon 3.

Agent J wrote: »
    Lisbon 3.
    The search for spock?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,760 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apparantly the Budget includes proposals to make more resources available to the Gardai in the run-up to Xmas. They anticipate a pick-up in anti-social behaviour. I understand will be focussing their attention on Eyre Square in Galway, based on intelligence obtained from "reliable sources"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

IvySlayer wrote: »
    What mess? I'm sitting here in my comfy chair, posting on my laptop, with my fast broadband in my house, getting ready for bed for going to work tomorrow morning.

I'm ****ing happy. I'll be happy to take a pay cut tomorrow. At least I'll keep my one job.

You left the country, and you're mocking us about not standing up?

My point entirely. People putting their own comfort before the future of a nation.

As for me leaving the country, I did stand up. I was alone. Ergo, I left.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Papers reckon 10% cut to social welfare. Why didn't they just means test it?

Also all TD salaries should be capped at 70000, with the Taoiseach at 100000.

Beasty wrote: »
    Apparantly the Budget includes proposals to make more resources available to the Gardai in the run-up to Xmas. They anticipate a pick-up in anti-social behaviour. I understand will be focussing their attention on Eyre Square in Galway, based on intelligence gleaned obtained from "reliable sources"

Shut up man!
    That was supposed to happen tonight but getaway is unavailable.
    Stay of execution is actually worse than getting it over with.

Any linkies at all or papers? I'm trying to keep the first post on this thread current with updates / news feeds so any links appreciated.

Means testing would take time, cost money to implement and general get f**ked up by the goverment.

Far easier for them to just go "We'll take 10% off everyone". Its a crude but effective method to gather the maximum amount of cash with little amount of bureacracy.

*coughs* Pension levy *coughs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Imagine how amazingly brave it would be of any politician to come foward and say that. "I, Brian Cowen, hereby give up my first class limosine and chauffeur in place for a nice car I'll drive myself," and so on.
    He'd get my vote:D
    It would be an excellent way of getting extra money, I'm sure they could even loophole it so if they're wages are cut they could lower their mortgages to match... or something... Ah f*ck it I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The search for spock?

The Genesis planet is the best visual description of the economy at the moment:D

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    My point entirely. People putting their own comfort before the future of a nation.

As for me leaving the country, I did stand up. I was alone. Ergo, I left.

I didn't vote FF last time, I already took 2 voluntary paycuts. I have attented demonstrations voicing my concern how the government was handling the economy.

This government needs to tell the unions to **** off and cut the Public Service by 25%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Had to laugh at Lenihan stating that this would be the worst budget but that things would get better.

What about the €4 billion we have to find in savings this time next year?

And the €3.5 billion we have to find the year after that?

And we're not exactly creating a huge amount of jobs now are we to increase the tax intake.....

Tomorrow is the beginning of a very grim three budgets for Ireland.

Any linkies at all or papers? I'm trying to keep the first post on this thread current with updates / news feeds so any links appreciated.

Argh I got it wrong, 4% cut off SW and 10% of Child Benefit.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1207/1224260242397.html

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Agent J wrote: »
    Lisbon 3.
    The search for spock?
    They anticipate a pick-up in anti-social behaviour. I understand will be focussing their attention on Eyre Square in Galway, based on intelligence obtained from "reliable sources"

The search for doc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Shut up man!
    That was supposed to happen tonight but getaway is unavailable.
    Stay of execution is actually worse than getting it over with.

Tomorrow then? You could claim that Biffo robbed the clothes off your back. On a side note, why don't any female mods ever offer to get their kit off for charity? A naked Boards calender would sell like cheap whiskey after a budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

The search for spock?
    The Wrath of Cowen ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Poor old motorists will be hit hard tomorrow by this "carbon" tax.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Poor old motorists will be hit hard tomorrow by this "carbon" tax.

Indeed, 6c on petrol and 3c on diesel. Roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,760 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RTE
    Independent

parasite wrote: »
    The Wrath of Cowen ? :rolleyes:

"The needs of the few out weigh the needs of the many....."

Thanks! Had RTE one in already but not the indo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Social welfare to be hit by 4%. Indications that childrens allowance is to be cut by 10%.

Well.... shit.

Well.... shit.

This is still unconfirmed. Just going by media sources now. All subject to change tomorrow tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I heard we're all going to be rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I heard we're all going to be rich.

You're a bank manager then :D?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Do I stay up until 0120 (in Brisbane) to listen to the budget or not? That is a question I'd like AH to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm the same. Over here in NZ.
    Although, I'm usually up until 2-4am most weekdays anyway.
    Depends on how busy work is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Morning news - link
    The Minister for Finance will present the Budget for 2010 to the Dáil later today.
    It is widely expected to be one of the toughest since the foundation of the State.
    Cuts to public service pay, social welfare, children's allowance and capital spending amounting to some €4bn are expected.
    The Budget will also introduce a new carbon tax on fossil fuels.
    The Minister for Finance has long signalled that a carbon tax will be the only new tax in this Budget. It will lead to increases in motor fuels and home heating fuels. But there is not expected to be much change to the income tax system.
    Instead the emphasis will be on spending cuts, with reductions in public service pay and pension provisions amounting to some €1.3bn.
    Social welfare rates and children's allowance will also be reduced, but the State pension will be untouched.
    Capital spending will also be reduced, probably by €1bn, and the balance will be made up by cuts to spending programmes.
    The Minster is also expected to announce some economic stimulus measures, including a cut in excise on alcohol and investments in energy efficiency.
    Minister Lenihan will also indicate changes to the tax system to be introduced from 2011.

Advertisement