Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10k, Turbo Diesel, what would you buy?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Bumping this back up as I'm gonna start looking at a few cars now.

So far my list of cars to look at is:

Alfa Romeo Gt

And well, thats it at the minute.

So I've decided to change my criteria a little as I've moved closer to work so no need to definately go for a diesel although I still would like a car that has decent mpg (35+).

So heres a new criteria to see if it throws anything up:

engine size up to 2.2
    petrol or diesel (35/40mpg+)
    2/3 door coupe stlye as a preference
    €10k to spend

I never really looked at BMW's before but would I get a nice one that fits what I want with my budget? which variant would suit me best?

What about other petrol cars that would have decent mpg but still fit what I want?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I got a Nov 04 BMW 320d at the weekend with 65k on it for 9.5k, I'd say you could too. The earlier 320ds had a few problems with turbos and swirl flaps but from doing some research the mid 04 onwards are a lot better with a modified manifold etc.

Have it a few days now and cant fault it its great, just going to get the upgraded turbo filter if its not done already and should have no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

PaulKK wrote: »
    I got a Nov 04 BMW 320d at the weekend with 65k on it for 9.5k, I'd say you could too. The earlier 320ds had a few problems with turbos and swirl flaps but from doing some research the mid 04 onwards are a lot better with a modified manifold etc.

Have it a few days now and cant fault it its great, just going to get the upgraded turbo filter if its not done already and should have no problems!
    I think this is key. For the longivity of the turbo at least. All the bad press about the BMW diesels stems from this issue with the Turbo not being looked after correctly - Main Dealer or not, the owner will have to spend a bit to keep it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

cadaliac wrote: »
    I think this is key. For the longivity of the turbo at least. All the bad press about the BMW diesels stems from this issue with the Turbo not being looked after correctly - Main Dealer or not, the owner will have to spend a bit to keep it right.

It seems to be to me anyway, that and more regular oil changes. I am always an advocate of maintaining a car well and servicing well ahead of time and I just cant see how people expect the turbo to last at 20k mile service intervals.

Mine was done every 15k up to 45k miles and then every 5k after that, so fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

I've had 2 BMW 320d's. 02 Great car but turbo went. 04 Great car full stop. This car will always sell on because of the badge. Beware of clocked ones though. I've driven one with a 165,000 miles on the clock and it was perfect. Anybody would be easily fooled that it had done 80K. Service history is Key so don't be afraid of high mileage examples.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

bit confused reading the thread lads, what exactly is diesel mileage for a car? Would it be worth my time changing from petrol to diesel for a 70 mile round trip 7 days a week?
    sorry for throwing this in here, mods delete if you want and i could start a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

draffodx wrote: »

That's an overpriced petrol saloon :confused:

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That's an overpriced petrol saloon :confused:

True,

:D

Well a 2 door version of that for less?

You'd get the older 320d coupe within your budget I'd say (and petrol versions as well) -not sure if you would swing the newer version for €10k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

You pay a huge premium to get a couple over a saloon.

Dunno if it's worth it!

Tragedy wrote: »
    You pay a huge premium to get a couple over a saloon.

Dunno if it's worth it!

BMW saloons are ugly though, coupes are much nicer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Plenty of 320d's on Donedeal available for less than 10k.

Would you look at something like a mondeo st? You might just about get one with a budget of 10k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

tinner777 wrote: »
    bit confused reading the thread lads, what exactly is diesel mileage for a car? Would it be worth my time changing from petrol to diesel for a 70 mile round trip 7 days a week?
    sorry for throwing this in here, mods delete if you want and i could start a new thread

Im in the same boat. I do about 80 mile a day 5 days a week. I was considering going for a diesel for this. What do you think, should I stick with petrol or does doing 80 mile a day justify a diesel:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Buy a passat 2.0 tdi youll get the current model for that price range easy with extras. dont buy the 1.9 i had one they are noisy and slow. the 140 is a fantastic car happy motoring

ugh not a passat, there really ugly.

a nice newish coupe style car for €10k please!

Have you been to see any GTs or 320ds yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i doubt you'll get anything cool for 10,000.... maybe a Old vw vento/jetta on 15" bbs's, lowering springs and enough cash from a cheap ripper on the weekends ?

I'm sure this is a typo in the ad, but I'll post it just in case.

Alfa Romeo GT €6000

Have you been to see any GTs or 320ds yet?

Going to look at this GT this week hopefully.

I haven't come across any 320d's in my price range that interest me yet :(
    I'm sure this is a typo in the ad, but I'll post it just in case.

Alfa Romeo GT €6000

Has to be a typo! if not its a scam!

• Advertisement

Going to look at this GT this week hopefully.

Nice looking car and pretty good to have leather and 17s. Haven't driven the petrol models myself.
    I haven't come across any 320d's in my price range that interest me yet :(

Is it the new shape you are looking at?

Nice looking car and pretty good to have leather and 17s. Haven't driven the petrol models myself.

Is it the new shape you are looking at?

A diesel GT is what I'd be after, just going to look at that one to get a feel for the GT.

The petrol one only has around 120bhp compared to the diesels 150bhp so the diesel is more appealing.

I've just been putting in bmw 3 series with a budget limit of €11k and haven't come across anything nice

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

argosy2006 wrote: »

Does a E320 come with 2.1 diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Speaking of unreliable overpriced diesels, why not just get a Jag then?

For 10k you can import a 06 x-type and be the man!

crótach wrote: »
    Speaking of unreliable overpriced diesels, why not just get a Jag then?

For 10k you can import a 06 x-type and be the man!

no thanks!

Suggestions of reasonably priced reliable diesels perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

Audi has a diesel version of TT using 2.0 engine, but I think it's fairly new, doubt you'll find it for 10k.

Would upping the budget to around €15k open up better options?

Advertisement