Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10k, Turbo Diesel, what would you buy?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Looking into maybe commuting 100+ miles a day in the near future and so I was thinking about maybe looking into getting something that runs on the ould diesel.

Looking at a price range up to €10k.

I'd like something with at least 130bhp, something nice and comfortable and if possible something stylish.

So what 130bhp+ turbo diesel would you buy with €10k?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Preference for a 4v4, estate, saloon, coupe etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

50 miles each way is not really Diesel territory, would be far better going for something along these lines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Accord if you can afford the motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Stylish eh? Try this.

or:

Accord
    Superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Accord is probably my choice, and you're already familiar with Honda's! :D
    I'd also suggest Mazda 6, but just wait for the "oh no - the Mazda 6 diesel engine is going to kill you and your family" people who'll no doubt follow that suggestion when they see it, but they don't all fail!
    I'm not a fan of the diesel in the Mondeo, and the driving position is a bit kak, but you should test drive one anyway. An ST220 diesel should be in your budget. Then there's the Skoda family, but coming from a Type R you may just loose the will to drive. There's a face-lift 159 diesel that could be considered! Alfa-heads will give better advice, but the diesel is good and so far as I know a lot of the known probs were sorted in the face-lift ones, also there's the GT if you don't need a saloon.
    Vectra is dull, A4 is overpriced, C220 would probably be a bit of a ball of crap at that price, Passat would be the B5.5 which is just soggy, there's also a few like the 407, but that doesn't get great reports from a reliability factor, the C5 I never liked so others will need to convince you of it's virtues, you might get a new model A6, but prob with high mileage, BMW's will be old and high mileage for that money, not sure what else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 larrytom

no way

Confab wrote: »
    Stylish eh? Try this.

E39 Stylish ?? I think not.

E39 Stylish ?? I think not.

I'm also skeptical of a 70k mile 530d from 2003 going for that price. Was looking only yesterday and you can't even import one for that. In fact, can't even get a 525i or 530i for that from that vintage!

Looks very clean, and mywheels says its not an import, road tax as usual would put me off. E39 will be coming down once the new model hits the streets.

Nice car though just not very stylish, bit embarrassing actually... being a 03 etc.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

To the original poster I went from a Type R to a 525d took a little getting used to but I would not go back now, no comparison with comfort on country roads.
    I would also consider the accord, my neighbour has one and it is super quiet he got rid of an avensis for it of the same year. They do use oil as part of regular usage though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Volvo S40 2.0D, You should get a 05 for around that money, perhaps a 06.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There won't be much car left after any time with that commute so http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/1.9TDi-A/200941195458395/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Biro wrote: »
    There's a face-lift 159 diesel that could be considered! Alfa-heads will give better advice, but the diesel is good and so far as I know a lot of the known probs were sorted in the face-lift ones, also there's the GT if you don't need a saloon.

Re. the GT, plenty of advice in this thread. The GT comes with 150bhp as standard and can be remapped. I can't vouch for a 159 as I have no experience of them myself.

I would have thought that 100 miles a day is well worthy of a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Nice car though just not very stylish, bit embarrassing actually... being a 03 etc.
    Consider some new friends tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

50 miles each way is not really Diesel territory, would be far better going for something along these lines...

25K miles a year isn't diesel territory?!? Thats before leisure use!

I'd sus out a nice high spec Accord from the UK if it was me

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

140bhp? Didn't that just come in 120 and 150bhp?

The seller probably doesn't know that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The seller probably doesn't know that.

That's what I would have thought, only I know someone else who thinks his is 140bhp too! That's what got me wondering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Try get an Octavia VRS TDI.

Accord is lovely and in budget, but the Octavia is just that little bit different and less common imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Dades wrote: »
    Preference for a 4v4, estate, saloon, coupe etc..?

No 4x4's or estates. Saloons, coupes or hatchbacks are fine
    Accord is probably my choice, and you're already familiar with Honda's! :D

There's a face-lift 159 diesel that could be considered! Alfa-heads will give better advice, but the diesel is good and so far as I know a lot of the known probs were sorted in the face-lift ones, also there's the GT if you don't need a saloon.

Yeh the accord would be something I'd like to take a look at, the GT is as well, really like the GT
    To the original poster I went from a Type R to a 525d took a little getting used to but I would not go back now, no comparison with comfort on country roads.
    I would also consider the accord, my neighbour has one and it is super quiet he got rid of an avensis for it of the same year. They do use oil as part of regular usage though.

I'm currently seeing about keeping the integra too to have it for the weekend :D
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Re. the GT, plenty of advice in this thread. The GT comes with 150bhp as standard and can be remapped. I can't vouch for a 159 as I have no experience of them myself.

I would have thought that 100 miles a day is well worthy of a diesel.

Thanks I'll have a read of that, I love the look of the GT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

If you are thinking of a GT they are a fine car, reliable too but just make sure there are no suspension noises. It would be worth your while taking someone with you to hav a look. There is fantastic value if you get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I also think the Accord would be nice.

What about...dare I say it...a 150pd Golf? You'd get a very nice mk4 one for under 10k with decent milage i'd guess.

EPM wrote: »
    25K miles a year isn't diesel territory?!? Thats before leisure use!

I'd sus out a nice high spec Accord from the UK if it was me

Theres 210 working days in the year? so it closer to 21k, so not exactly 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

No need to be Pedantic, he's doing high milage, a 2L turbo would be a bad move.

If you're looking into keeping the Teg too, then just get any oul car for work and keep the stylish one for the weekend!

Pick up a 500 Euro Micra and when it dies...but another one! The only time it'll depreciate is when it dies!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Fair enough, but give an allowance of 100 miles a week for private use and it's well over it. That most definitely makes a case for diesel IMO

Pedantic ? the whole reason to buy a diesel is about doing your maths. I do over 30k per year (all work related) and the last place I want to be spending leisure time is in my car..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Pick up a 500 Euro Micra and when it dies...but another one! The only time it'll depreciate is when it dies!!!

Or - you'll be left stranded 50 miles from work with no public transport option to get in, when the €500 dirtbox decides it doesn't want to play ;) Plus, the thoughts of spending up to 6 hours a day in something like that makes me shudder.

I do a similar ish journey in an Accord 2.0I. Comfortable to be in, plenty of poke when required and fairly relaxing when not, and I can get to work and back all week (and in the following week) on one tank of fuel. If it was diesel I'd be getting at least a week and a half though.

Definately Diesel mileage, comfort & reliability should be top of the wish list and something that doesn't cost a lot to begin with, because it's going to be worthless in a year.

Can't beat a good old Mondeo 2.0Tdci 115ps Zetec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

draffodx wrote: »

I think someone commented on that car in particular in the thread I linked to above.

Advertisement