Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10k, Turbo Diesel, what would you buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Late 406 coupe 2.2 diesel from UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

EPM wrote: »
    Late 406 coupe 2.2 diesel from UK?

Had a look at them alright, but not a big fan of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

It's the 100PS 1.7 CDTi. Can be remapped to 130 easily enough, and apparently nice and torquey. Like most diesels, don't expect to be first away from traffic lights though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

draffodx wrote: »

Feel a bit cramped inside for my liking, but not so different from a GT in that respect.

Bit of lag on take off from the engine, but pretty decent once you get going.

That's a nice looking one in the link and seems to have a fair bit of kit. I've never had a coupe for a decent length of time, but had an SRi hatch (petrol) for a weekend in the UK last year and was fairly impressed. Doesn't handle quite as well as a Focus, but it wasn't as far off as I expected.

Are they leather seats that aren't mentioned in the write up?

Definately worth a look I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

€10,000 (ex VRT) for an '02 feckin' GOLF TDI? Jesus. I'd rather eat yellow snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Confab wrote: »
    €10,000 (ex VRT) for an '02 feckin' GOLF TDI? Jesus. I'd rather eat yellow snow.
    Exactly what I was thinking, just too hung over to write it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

A bit more than 10k and you might get an 08 Pro_Ceed Diesel

138 bhp tax band A 5years warranty left, as goood or better than a red TDI golf

biggus wrote: »
    A bit more than 10k and you might get an 08 Pro_Ceed Diesel

138 bhp tax band A 5years warranty left, as goood or better than a red TDI golf
    I've heard extremely good things about the 1.6 Diesel Pro Ceeds, look great too IMO

• Advertisement

Severely limited choice with my budget when it comes to the Pro_Ceed though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

<snip>

5 years old with the high tax, so it'll depriciate fast, basically 100.000 miles so it'll be worth nothing in 2 years and and finally thats not the only car he's selling

i think he probably imported that to sell

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:uVrI35PsfwEJ:octane.ie/ads/car.php%3Fid%3D5092+0876569928&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

8 grand max imho

Tigger wrote: »
    5 years old with the high tax, so it'll depriciate fast, basically 100.000 miles so it'll be worth nothing in 2 years and and finally thats not the only car he's selling

i think he probably imported that to sell

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:uVrI35PsfwEJ:octane.ie/ads/car.php%3Fid%3D5092+0876569928&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

8 grand max imho
    He's looking for a reliable, economical diesel, not an unreliable Petrol Alfa

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    He's looking for a reliable, economical diesel, not an unreliable Petrol Alfa

slowly. the guy selling the accord is also selling the alfa

nice to know these things

Ah my bad!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Ah my bad!

is ok find me a nice dc2 type r for the new year and i'll forgive you

is ok find me a nice dc2 type r for the new year and i'll forgive you
    There's a lovely one out in my drive!

are you selling it or just boasting?

• Advertisement

are you selling it or just boasting?
    Just braggin i suppose! There's a red one for sale on adverts at the moment, its the OPs car, I test drove it back when I bought mine, nice car, well looked after and a higher power figure than mine on the rollers

i'll be looking in early feb depends on a few things

anyway back on topic
    bmw330d real world 50mpg or very fast
    nice to drive as well

gear box has been known to fall outa tghem and beemers are dear to service but they pull like a train

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/41/48655041.html

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭richardsheil

Not true.

I sold the Alfa which I had for 3 years and 40,000 miles before I bought the Accord- which I have had since September. Just putting my toe in the water. Only problem with the Accord is its inherent dullness.

Nice to know you are all so observant.

And if you think an 05 Accord with 97000 miles is worn out. Well I suggest you should take a look at it and then decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dilligaf73

I know this will sound wrong but...I recently bought an 05 Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi when i lost my job and it will do most of things I want it to. While not "fast" I don't have any issues overtaking , pulls well. It handle well. Had a rally co-driver dude swinging out of the jesus handle yesterday... always get 1000km to my €50 and if driven right gives up to 1300km. And can be chipped to give 130bhp no bodder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Diesel Avensis here, its not flash, but they are well regarded and pretty fuel efficient, 50 mpg seems to be no bother on the motorway. One thing to watch out for is that the 03-06 model seems very sluggish below 2k RPM (once it gets above it though, woohoo !), test drive it before you buy to make sure you can live with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I have a Fabia Vrs and while its not a hot hatch or anything like some make out.But for what is ( quick, economical car ) its to hard to find better.

For around 5k or so there is no way to find a car which looks as good ( looks thrifty imo ), is as practical, is as reliable, is as economical, is as comfortable or packs the same sort of performance imo. Its a jack of all trades.You can achieve an average 60mpg if you drive sensibly, however, under normal conditions you will get around 50mpg.On long journeys its very comfortable ( I was shocked with that part too ) and with a remap ( average tends to be 170bhp and nearly 300lb/ft of torque ) it can keep up with alot of things in a straight line.Overtaking is a breeze in it, never have to change gear as power/torque is always there.Its rare as well here, would be money well spent imo, better than going the every second car avensis route anyway.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200948196004915

http://www.fabia-vrs.com/downloads/files/diesel_car_188_fabia_vrs.pdf

Ok heres the cars currently on my to see list:

Alfa Romeo GT JTD

Skoda Fabia Vrs

BMW 330D

Any opinions on them or any more alternative options?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

draffodx wrote: »
    Ok heres the cars currently on my to see list:

Alfa Romeo GT JTD

That's a very nice example, and well spec'd considering it's on Irish plates (it has 17" wheels, leather, the BOSE sound system, pdc). Nice colour inside and out. Definitely worth going to see.

• Advertisement

Not true.

I sold the Alfa which I had for 3 years and 40,000 miles before I bought the Accord- which I have had since September. Just putting my toe in the water. Only problem with the Accord is its inherent dullness.

Nice to know you are all so observant.

And if you think an 05 Accord with 97000 miles is worn out. Well I suggest you should take a look at it and then decide.

i don't but many people do i was being ironic condition of a car is not denoted by milage

Advertisement