Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€10k, Turbo Diesel, what would you buy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Nice car though just not very stylish, bit embarrassing actually... being a 03 etc.

;)

Uhuh. So you wouldn't drive an '03 Bentley, Aston Martin or Ferrari then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

Ohhh those Alfa GT's are the b***ix but they do and will guaranteed brake down. Get a VAG get it remapped job done!!!! Keep the Alfa for your day off lol.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DaireMac wrote: »
    Ohhh those Alfa GT's are the b***ix but they do and will guaranteed brake down. Get a VAG get it remapped job done!!!! Keep the Alfa for your day off lol.

D.

I'd say you have more chance of a VAG breaking down than an Alfa Romeo diesel these days. Both brands have undeserved reputations when it comes to reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

God so much generisation bazz. Where did you get that idea that Volkswagen,
    AUDI, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Škoda, Volkswagen Vans, Scania and 49.9% of Porsche were unreliable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Advertisement

AUDI, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Škoda, Volkswagen Vans, Scania and 49.9% of Porsche were unreliable.

Responding to the previous poster who mentioned VAG and implied that a VAG was less likely to give trouble than an Alfa Romeo so assumed he/she was talking about diesel VAGs as comparitable to the topic of this thread the Alfa Romea GT diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

I dont know why no one has mentioned it yet but in my opinion anything from the TDi or GTTDi Golf range wins hands down. 130bhp straight off the bat, economical, realiable and seriously comfortable. The Alfa is a fierce ****e box of a car with muck handling, average looks and a tiny resale value, its an acquired taste for a generation of 50 somethings..!!!

dragonbet wrote: »
    I dont know why no one has mentioned it yet but in my opinion anything from the TDi or GTTDi Golf range wins hands down. 130bhp straight off the bat, economical, realiable and seriously comfortable. The Alfa is a fierce ****e box of a car with muck handling, average looks and a tiny resale value, its an acquired taste for a generation of 50 somethings..!!!

:D

There is a good reason why nobody else mentioned it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

My suggestion would be;

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200923193022092

make that commute economical AND enjoyable...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i,m sure golfs are great, and i,m sure u will past another on the road every 20 seconds,
    i take that,
    i'v never had a car like that lol, i drive a volvo s90, i havent past another yet lol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqzzNvh8_34

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

There is a good reason why nobody else mentioned it. ;)

What then????

argosy2006 wrote: »
    i,m sure golfs are great, and i,m sure u will past another on the road every 20 seconds,
    i take that,
    i'v never had a car like that lol, i drive a volvo s90, i havent past another yet lol

TRUE, TRUE, but when ya see so many there must be something right. The GTTDi are the only job..........!

What then????

Because nobody who is in anyway knowledgeable about cars would say the GT is a fierce ****e box with muck handling and then go on to recommend a Golf with the mighty 130bhp engine and some GT badges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Except for the fact that the Golf looks horrible, is two a penny, the Mk 4 has dire handling, it has an engine similar in decibel levels as a 135 (you sound like a farmer so I assume you'll know what I'm talking about!), and has less power than the Alfa.
    Anyone who thinks a Mk4 Golf looks better than a designer car is the kind of person who thinks Biddy is better looking than Rihanna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Biro wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks a Mk4 Golf looks better than a designer car is the kind of person who thinks Biddy is better looking than Rihanna.

Except for the fact that the Golf looks horrible, is two a penny, the Mk 4 has dire handling, it has an engine similar in decibel levels as a 135 (you sound like a farmer so I assume you'll know what I'm talking about!), and has less power than the Alfa.

Quote of the week. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not gonna end up in a MKIV TDi Golf anyway, I've had to put up with one of them for 3 days before and never again, its the most boring car in terms of handling, power delivery and looks I've ever had to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

draffodx wrote: »
    Looking into maybe commuting 100+ miles a day in the near future and so I was thinking about maybe looking into getting something that runs on the ould diesel.

Looking at a price range up to €10k.

I'd like something with at least 130bhp, something nice and comfortable and if possible something stylish.

So what 130bhp+ turbo diesel would you buy with €10k?

diahatsu charade diesel turbo.

Ultra light, 1.9 tdi out of a passat in the boot with a big blower on top, nct'd for two years, tax and insured for next to nothing, leave the irish... erh....eh... " tuners " for dust and still do 40+ mpg.

creative and devistating.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Pdfile wrote: »
    diahatsu charade diesel turbo.

Ultra light, 1.9 tdi out of a passat in the boot with a big blower on top, nct'd for two years, tax and insured for next to nothing, leave the irish... erh....eh... " tuners " for dust and still do 40+ mpg.

creative and devistating.

You're joking right

jackncoke wrote: »
    You're joking right

I hope so :D

Starting on monday, so need to choose quickly!

• Advertisement

I'll take it then your one of the 50+ generation chasing your youth with a Alfa that looks like the front of an armadillo..! And the only reason you probably still own one is due to the horrible trade in value you were offered for it........ thats if ya can find a dealer!!

That being said, the Golf is common, even the GTTDi, if your after looks, performance and class I'd go with the E220 CDi Merc mentioned earlier or a Audi A6, the A4 is too common also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'll take it then your one of the 50+ generation chasing your youth with a Alfa that looks like the front of an armadillo..! And the only reason you probably still own one is due to the horrible trade in value you were offered for it........ thats if ya can find a dealer!!

That being said, the Golf is common, even the GTTDi, if your after looks, performance and class I'd go with the E220 CDi Merc mentioned earlier or a Audi A6, the A4 is too common also.

That's your idea of performance?

R.O.R wrote: »
    That's your idea of performance?

Well you sacrifice a little performance with the looks in relation to the merc, but its a better buy than the same class of BMW and there aint much to chose from under 2litre thats reasonably economical too...! Whats your suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Whats your suggestion?

He keeps the 'teg and rents closer to where he's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

argosy2006 wrote: »

Cool car. They basically are a Volvo 960 in all but name and a few subtle differences.

What year is it by the way, and is she original Irish?

You take it wrong! I still have my youth, and my eyesight too, which it seems not everyone in this thread have! Even if I didn't have my youth, I'd rather "chase" it in an Alfa than a Golf! At least I'd get closer to it with the Alfa! Did my farmer comment cut too close for you? :D Don't worry, Biddy is a lovely woman I'm sure! And sure she makes a great cuppa tea!

its a better buy than the same class of BMW
    Depends on what you're after really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Well you sacrifice a little performance with the looks in relation to the merc, but its a better buy than the same class of BMW

Especially if you get off on visiting your auto electrician and have a rust fetish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DaireMac

They just bought suzuki as well "world domination".

ps. me is a he bazz, we have a vw, skoda and a GT in our house and I can tell ya the Alfa is nicest by far but if I have to get somewhere important we don't take it been late toooo many times!!! great for the Sunday drive tho.

• Advertisement

Any other ideas lads,

Something like the Alfa GT, alternatives in diesel to that?

Turbo diesel but sporty and with a decent bit of power and good enough handling

Advertisement