Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TAILGATERS

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

egan007 wrote: »
    We should re-title this thread Morons who think it's their job to administer the speed limit.

Answer: GTF out of the way.

so all off a sudden I'm making people obey the speed limit just because im not breaking it ?

so is the majority of Irish drivers morons because they are not speeding ?

quit talking out of your fecking hole and GTFO !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Typical attitude: Refer the last instruction i left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Driving to Dublin on N7 last week. Weather was causing some of the worst driving conditions I've ever experienced-
    P**sing rain, you could hardly see 20 feet in front of the car with wipers on full blast, and the roads were inky black with regular spots of flooding.

..and I have to deal with this f**king knob-end lorry driver driving in my back window trying to push me faster because I'm sticking to the 60kph limit through windy roadworks at Nenagh.

So Mr Big lorry driver, whereever you are - YOU P***K!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Typical attitude: Refer the last instruction i left.

no its just stupid to say all of a sudden im a guard just because i refuse to break the speed limit ?

hundreds of thousands of people dont break the speed limit everyday,

are they all trying to make other drivers stay below the speed limit, cos according to you they are and thats just stupid !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

We should re-title this thread Morons who think it's their job to administer the speed limit.

Answer: GTF out of the way.
    robbie_998 wrote: »
    so all off a sudden I'm making people obey the speed limit just because im not breaking it ?

so is the majority of Irish drivers morons because they are not speeding ?

agree with robbie on this one. just because someone sticks to the limit doesnt mean they are trying to make others do the same, thats a ridiculous statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Stop feeding the trolls,

What about tailgaters with fogs light on!

IMHO I just let them past, simple repects for faster driving gets them off my arse and out in front where I am less likely to be caught up in a accident with them. Getting aggrivated about this annoying but normal part of driving only causes you to do something silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

One thing people havent mentioned is that a tailgater only becomes one when people who are not paying attention to the road around them suddenly become aware of a driver close behind them.

If im on a national route single carriageway with a hard shoulder and a car comes up behind me travelling at a faster speed than me ill pull over for him even before he reaches me. Our speeds arent relevant, if he wants to go faster than me and once its safe to do so im happy to oblige him. Its safer, he's happy and im happy job done. For people who think this is silly go drive on the continent with a close minded attitude and see how you get on, you will soon learn.

threads like this really reinforce my opinion that drivers in ireland really dont have a clue. Like many others ive read the whole of this thread and im speechless at the attitude of some of the posters :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Stop feeding the trolls,

For those I just give a little pull on the handbrake ;-)
    Leaves no evidence that I braked to be witnessed!

"Ye Guard, He just just ran into the back of me! Must be drunk or high. Look he was so out of it he didn't even realise that his fog lights were on!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

cpoh1 wrote: »
    For people who think this is silly go drive on the continent with a close minded attitude and see how you get on, you will soon learn.
    threads like this really reinforce my opinion that drivers in ireland really dont have a clue. Like many others ive read the whole of this thread and im speechless at the attitude of some of the posters :eek:

I agree with you there, its just like the "inside lane" phenomenon on the M50 where the inside of 3 lane's is "invisible!" Its lack of driver education and ignorance, the driving test is way too easy and belongs back in the 1970's where we had no motorways and calm light traffic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Why do people not like fog lights? Is it because they shine in your eyes? I've never found them that bad at all. It's mostly high beams or side lights misaligned which cause me the most discomfort.

Tailgaters are usually people that want to overtake you. He wouldn't be a tailgater if you had the common sense to notice that someone behind you wants to overtake you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why do people not like fog lights?

Tailgaters are usually people that want to overtake you. He wouldn't be a tailgater if you had the common sense to notice that someone behind you wants to overtake you.

Fog lights are illegal to use when there is no fog. They tend to be very bright and glaring.

As for tailgating - if someone wants to overtake, they don't have to sit on your bumper. In fact, it's a bit harder to overtake if you're too close to the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

cpoh1 wrote: »
    One thing people havent mentioned is that a tailgater only becomes one when people who are not paying attention to the road around them suddenly become aware of a driver close behind them.

If im on a national route single carriageway with a hard shoulder and a car comes up behind me travelling at a faster speed than me ill pull over for him even before he reaches me. Our speeds arent relevant, if he wants to go faster than me and once its safe to do so im happy to oblige him. Its safer, he's happy and im happy job done. For people who think this is silly go drive on the continent with a close minded attitude and see how you get on, you will soon learn.

Spot on. No skin off my nose if someone wants to drive faster than me; as soon as I notice them and it's safe to do so, I'll give them enough road to play with and happy to do so.

Since I hope to receive the same courtesy, the least I can do is offer it.

I have driven in every country in Europe and a fair few beyond. Irish drivers (excuse the sweeping generalisation) are by no means the worst, but we are the most selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Paulw wrote: »
    Fog lights are illegal to use when there is no fog. They tend to be very bright and glaring.

As for tailgating - if someone wants to overtake, they don't have to sit on your bumper. In fact, it's a bit harder to overtake if you're too close to the car in front.

I never noticed them being very bright and glaring and I see about a dozen a day. :confused: They might be dipped down anyway. Some of the rear fog lights are very annoying.

They are usually sitting on your bumper to tell you something. Not because they like being there (some might).

Definitely overtaking from tailgating is dangerous and I hope most tailgaters backoff once the person on front is willing to let them overtake them safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

personally i think fog lights are fine,they look cool too ha ha

i do think the hallogen bulbs or xennon lights not sure which they are should be banned they blind the crap out you ,well me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

Duckjob wrote: »
    Driving to Dublin on N7 last week. Weather was causing some of the worst driving conditions I've ever experienced-
    P**sing rain, you could hardly see 20 feet in front of the car with wipers on full blast, and the roads were inky black with regular spots of flooding.

..and I have to deal with this f**king knob-end lorry driver driving in my back window trying to push me faster because I'm sticking to the 60kph limit through windy roadworks at Nenagh.

So Mr Big lorry driver, whereever you are - YOU P***K!

what happens too people when it rains ,your car can handle rain ,they either slow down to 10 kph or drive like complete morons looking for an accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Stop feeding the trolls,

Paulw wrote: »
    facepalm1.jpg?w=450&h=360

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Seeing as we are going down that road...
    personally i think fog lights are fine,they look cool too ha ha
    facepalm_implied.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

This thread seems to be going round in circles, in before lock! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

I'm beginning to wonder if any of the "slam on brakes/don't let the tailgater overtake" have even been in any sort of car collision. They attitudes and rational don't take into account the fact that they are the weakest part of the car.
    The same question could be applied to the safety conscious group who advocate pulling over and letting the p***k by. Has experience taught them that it is simply not worth the risk?
    I think it might be poll-worthy...

My own 2c, I was rear ended by someone speeding (not necessarily tailgating, but certainly not safe stopping distance) and to avoid an accident with a tailgater I would certainly slow down and allow him to overtake. Also throw on the rear fog light until he got the message ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Tailgating, apart from being dangerous is also the most annoying, inconsiderate thing you can do to a fellow motorist. Some people feel intimided by tailgaters. Personally I do get worried when a car tailsgates me, because I do not know if the are Drunk, Stoned or blind. If I can pull over I will, but only if there is a good hard shoulder.
    If the tool won't overtake, I will let the car slow down, usually to well below the limit and they usually get the message then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread seems to be going round in circles, in before lock! :)

I'm locking this thread because when a thread's descended into circular arguments and facepalm pics, then it's time to put it out of its misery.

Also, when it gets circular, it gets personal and mods get infracty.

Posts like this aren't the way we post around here:
    robbie_998 wrote: »

'Nuff said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement