Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TAILGATERS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

robbie_998 wrote: »
    eh no, simply because if im going to be doing 100KM/H i'm going to be on a dual carraigeway / motorway

Wait, what? Why wouldn't you do 100km/h on a national road once conditions were good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

oh ok fair enough, enjoy your hospital stay from the crash so because you slowed down and the tailgater has hit you !

Do you know how slowly a car decellerates when you take your foot off the accelerator?

In the unlikely event of the tailgater hitting me.. It wouldn't be a big deal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

SV wrote: »
    That's where he lost all credibility?

I would have thought his first post in this thread was enough..
    `Fair enough. I admit I only read the first and (then) last page. I'm off to click Unsubscribe now.....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Do you know how slowly a car decellerates when you take your foot off the accelerator?

yes and do you know how slowly it takes for a tailgater to respond when your that close ???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

yes and do you know how slowly it takes for a tailgater to respond when your that close ???

Please tell me you're a learner driver

• Advertisement

Well every single one is different so.. No.
    I would assume most can react within 3 or 4 seconds though.

Man.. I'm not trying to sound offensive here or anything but.. You really don't have a clue what you're on about. How long are you driving?

jackncoke wrote: »
    Please tell me you're a learner driver

No i'm not.

I passed my test like most people did by sitting in a car for 35 - 40 mins with a guy looking at everything i do,

and i passed with only 2 grade 2's.

anyway thats irrelevant !
    Well every single one is different so.. No.
    I would assume most can react within 3 or 4 seconds though.

and you really think thats going to be enough ? bah !

I'm leaving it at this if i get a tailgater behind me.

I'm not speeding up nor am i slowing down,

I am staying in my lane to the left where i am ment to be.

If your going to overtake me then go ahead, im not preventing any of that.

I'm not changing my driving style just for you idiots who tailgate (who also deserve to crash if your going to be that stupid)

Yes you can slow down but there is a very high chance your gonna get a bump !

good luck and goodnight cos you guys who support tailgating clearly know everything in Ireland about tailgating and everything to do with it.

No i'm not.

I passed my test like most people did by sitting in a car for 35 - 40 mins with a guy looking at everything i do,

and i passed with only 2 grade 2's.

anyway thats irrelevant !

I'm not changing my driving style just for you idiots who tailgate (who also deserve to crash if your going to be that stupid)

good luck and goodnight cos you guys who support tailgating clearly know everything in Ireland about tailgating and everything to do with it.

Oh.. My..

Please, no moderator lock this thread.

I need to reply to this in parts but I can't on mobile.

Needless to say.. That post is just..wow.

I'd say you have a full license about a month if you do.

Oh.. My..

Please, no moderator lock this thread.

I need to reply to this in parts but I can't on mobile.

Needless to say.. That post is just..wow.

I'd say you have a full license about a month if you do.

please, just dont bother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

but if driving at the limit then a driver shud be under no obligation to pull over.
    If the car behind you wants to overtake you, why not let them?
    If you resolutely stick to the limit and stay in lane with someone behind wanting to pass at a higher speed, you know yourself you are being a pr1ck.

• Advertisement

Finally, a real computer!

Yes, I expect 4 seconds to far more than the required amount of time for someone to realise the car in front is slowing down.
    I think anyone reasonable would.

Ok, so basically what you're saying is..
    "I have chosen to disregard every piece of advice from more experienced drivers here as to what to do and I'm still going to do what I like"
    Well, enjoy your inevitable crash.

Not if it's done correctly.
    Which you apparently don't know how to do..even though you were told.

No one here is supporting tailgating, would you ever cop on to yourself and grow up.

Finally, a real computer!

Yes, I expect 4 seconds to far more than the required amount of time for someone to realise the car in front is slowing down.
    I think anyone reasonable would.

Without any indication ? it would take longer

Ok, so basically what you're saying is..
    "I have chosen to disregard every piece of advice from more experienced drivers here as to what to do and I'm still going to do what I like"
    Well, enjoy your inevitable crash.

ok you want me to slow down ? your not gonna have any room to over take because of oncoming traffic so i'd only be annoying the tailgater by slowing down and that only asking for trouble.

you might say well pull over but there is no where to pull over
    Not if it's done correctly.
    Which you apparently don't know how to do..even though you were told.

all you said was take you foot off the pedal. if you do that your not giving any indication and could cos a crash, so please tell me the art of it.
    No one here is supporting tailgating, would you ever cop on to yourself and grow up.

you are supporting tailgating by giving them what they want.

Without any indication ? it would take longer

Longer being 4 seconds.
    With indication it should take less than a second, for your average person.

ok you want me to slow down ? your not gonna have any room to over take because of oncoming traffic so i'd only be annoying the tailgater by slowing down and that only asking for trouble.

you might say well pull over but there is no where to pull over
    Well that's just a precautionary measure, it does two things.
    One, lessens the impact if there is a crash and two, makes it easier for this tailgater to overtake when the opportunity arises.
    all you said was take you foot off the pedal. if you do that your not giving any indication and could cos a crash, so please tell me the art of it.

If you had any idea whatsoever of how long it takes a car to slow down then you wouldn't be asking such a stupid question.

you are supporting tailgating by giving them what they want.
    No, that's not supporting tailgating.
    It's supporting ourselves getting home without being involved in an accident.

Would you view yourself as supporting speeders if you didn't block them everytime they tried to overtake you if you were doing the speed limit?

Longer being 4 seconds.
    With indication it should take less than a second, for your average person.

i'll believe when i see it, which is never !

I have witnessed a crash because the driver slowed down without any warning (most likely using your method of just not pressing the pedal) and the person tailgating behind went straight into the person in front and the car in front spun. and this was on a motorway !
    Well that's just a precautionary measure, it does two things.
    One, lessens the impact if there is a crash and two, makes it easier for this tailgater to overtake when the opportunity arises.

It could also cause the crash at the same time. and it may very well but it doesn't make sense to do that when the speed limit is 60KM/H and your slowing down again ? crawling man !
    If you had any idea whatsoever of how long it takes a car to slow down then you wouldn't be asking such a stupid question.

again i'm doing under 60KM/H cos its the speed limit and cars tend to slow down quite a bit.

No, that's not supporting tailgating.
    It's supporting ourselves getting home without being involved in an accident.

Would you view yourself as supporting speeders if you didn't block them everytime they tried to overtake you if you were doing the speed limit?

Who the hell said i was blocking ?

I'm not slowing down nor speeding up and i'm keeping well left in my lane in accordance to the rules of the road.

ffs i'm not swaying in and out of my lane so they cant pass me,

the opportunity to pass is there when it arises regardless of speed.

i'll believe when i see it, which is never !

Jesus fúcking christ man..how can I debate with an answer like that?
    like..you've NEVER seen anyone react to something in under a second?
    or within 4 seconds?

It could also cause the crash at the same time. and it may very well but it doesn't make sense to do that when the speed limit is 60KM/H and your slowing down again ? crawling man !

You've already said on this thread you do slightly under the speed limit, so what are you on about with your "crawling man!"
    It could cause the crash alright but it's more than likely going to prevent it.
    again i'm doing under 60KM/H cos its the speed limit and cars tend to slow down quite a bit.
    Quite a bit? lol..In my car from 60km/h to 50km/h with just taking my foot off the accelerator would taker about 10-15 seconds.

Who the hell said i was blocking ?

I'm not slowing down nor speeding up and i'm keeping well left in my lane in accordance to the rules of the road.

ffs i'm not swaying in and out of my lane so they cant pass me,

the opportunity to pass is there when it arises regardless of speed.

No one said you were blocking, it's called an analogy.
    :rolleyes:

Jesus fúcking christ man..how can I debate with an answer like that?
    like..you've NEVER seen anyone react to something in under a second?
    or within 4 seconds?

by reading my post again.
    You've already said on this thread you do slightly under the speed limit, so what are you on about with your "crawling man!"
    It could cause the crash alright but it's more than likely going to prevent it.

well with your logic your telling me to slow down and let them pass, so im doing just under 60 on a road and theres a tailgater behind me and you want me to slow down again to about 40 - 45 KM/H ... sorry but that would just piss anybody off
    Quite a bit? lol..In my car from 60km/h to 50km/h with just taking my foot off the accelerator would taker about 10-15 seconds.

all cars are different and depends on the gear your using too.

by reading my post again.

well with your logic your telling me to slow down and let them pass, so im doing just under 60 on a road and theres a tailgater behind me and you want me to slow down again to about 40 - 45 KM/H ... sorry but that would just piss anybody off

all cars are different and depends on the gear your using too.

By taking your foot off the accelerator and slowing down that way the impact from behind will ALWAYS be minimal, if they ever hit.
    Not nearly enough to 'spin' the car that you seem to have witnessed..lol, calling major bullshít on that one.

At 60km/h you're probably going slow enough as it is.
    tbh, I'm referring to decent speeds, where bad accidents happen.
    Not little fender benders.

Yes but not many cars will differ from that.
    and unless you're in a stupidly low gear it won't change either.

By taking your foot off the accelerator and slowing down that way the impact from behind will ALWAYS be minimal, if they ever hit.
    Not nearly enough to 'spin' the car that you seem to have witnessed..lol, calling major bullshít on that one.

as i said, motorway speeds and yes it did happen, so that just f*cks up everything you've being telling us to do.
    At 60km/h you're probably going slow enough as it is.
    tbh, I'm referring to decent speeds, where bad accidents happen.
    Not little fender benders.

oh great i'm going slow enough as it is so there's no need for me to slow down, like i've being saying the entire time !!! ffs, waste of time.
    Yes but not many cars will differ from that.
    and unless you're in a stupidly low gear it won't change either.

anything over 60KM/H is fifth. I drive very eco friendly for our environment and fuel saving. (big engine and it never struggles so i dont care what you say about that)

as i said, motorway speeds and yes it did happen, so that just f*cks up everything you've being telling us to do.

oh great i'm going slow enough as it is so there's no need for me to slow down, like i've being saying the entire time !!! ffs, waste of time.

anything over 60KM/H is fifth. I drive very eco friendly for our environment and fuel saving.

My god..
    No it doesn't?! It's one case and you have no idea how the accident even occured apart from yer man going into the back of the other person?!
    How do you know the person in the front slowed down and that the person behind didn't just speed up into them?
    I'm still calling bullshít on it as you would have mentioned it earlier, you're only saying it now to justify the shíte you're coming out with.

We haven't always been talking about doing 60km/h :rolleyes:

and lmao at the last part..yeah good man, Gay Byrne would be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Hear, hear OP. Totally agree. Take this example:
    Friday a few weeks ago (the 20th of Nov) I was travelling up the M1 to Drogheda. It was about 5:30pm, it was dark, and it was raining. (Remember the flooding) Traffic was heavy enough, so I was continually overtaking in the overtaking lane. Now, I was being bold, and travelling at 130kph. I know, it wasn't big or smart, but I was in a rush.
    Next thing this clown, like a bullet arrives up my arse. Ordinarily, I'd have pulled over and let him past, but the left lane didn't offer a gap to pull in, and I was still overtaking traffic. Considering it was raining, and we were travelling in excess of 120kph I was well pissed off. (S)He was so close I couldn't see their lights (ie: the top of their bonnet from my live of view by my boot).

I pressed my hazards - nothing. This continued for about 5 miles, until I came upon slower moving traffic, and I needed to touch my brakes. At which point they backed off a bit.

Why? Why do this? Fucking clown. Grinds my gears it does.

• Advertisement

My god..
    No it doesn't?! It's one case and you have no idea how the accident even occured apart from yer man going into the back of the other person?!
    How do you know the person in the front slowed down and that the person behind didn't just speed up into them?
    I'm still calling bullshít on it as you would have mentioned it earlier, you're only saying it now to justify the shíte you're coming out with.

nope i've being saving it for an ignorant post such as yours, no bull.

two cars going on a motorway one infront of the other. front car slows down (no brake light and no i doubt they were all broke), car behind most likely didnt notice cos (s)he was too interested in getting somewhere faster and there was contact, driver in front lost control and bit and started steering but started serving at high speed and "spun" and the car behind nearly going into again, luckily the traffic behind the tailgater was smart enough to stay well away and all were able to stop in time (thank god)
    We haven't always been talking about doing 60km/h an hour :rolleyes:

we weren't talking about any speed but we were talking one lane per side which usually are less than 80KM/H anyway.
    and lmao at the last part..yeah good man, Gay Byrne would be proud.

i dont care, TBH, sorry for not being a boy racer by keeping the revs low as they should be. there is no real reason to go over 3,400 revs MAX !

nope i've being saving it for an ignorant post such as yours, no bull.

two cars going on a motorway one infront of the other. front car slows down (no brake light and no i doubt they were all broke), car behind most likely didnt notice cos (s)he was too interested in getting somewhere faster and there was contact, driver in front lost control and bit and started steering but started serving at high speed and "spun" and the car behind nearly going into again, luckily the traffic behind the tailgater was smart enough to stay well away and all were able to stop in time (thank god)

You've been saving the post for a post like mine, despite the same thing being said to you about 10 times previous?
    Would you ever fúck off with yourself, biggest load of bullshít I've ever heard.

I'm off to bed, good luck with the whole driving thing..you'll need it.
    You might cop on in a year or two and look back at this with shame..then again, maybe not.

You've been saving the post for a post like mine, despite the same thing being said to you about 10 times previous?
    Would you ever fúck off with yourself, biggest load of bullshít I've ever heard.

So it never happened just because you say so ? thats just talking crap that is

well believe what you want but i saw what i saw and nothing is gonna change that ! I'm sure your just pissed cos it just proves wrong everything you said.
    I'm off to bed, good luck with the whole driving thing..you'll need it.
    You might cop on in a year or two and look back at this with shame..then again, maybe not.

sorry but i dont need luck, i drive in accordance to the rules of the road and nothing is gonna change that, so sorry about you.

i'll never need to look back on this cos well i'm not talking crap in any way.

you seem to think our roads are perfect and tailgaters know what their doing (which they dont cos their tailgating in the first place, no excuse !)

seen as SV refuses to believe my tale of the past i've went and gotten some News reports on crashes.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1203/westmeath.html
    A four-year-old boy has been killed in a crash involving a van and a jeep towing a trailer on the Dublin to Sligo road outside Mullingar.
    The boy was a passenger in a jeep, which collided with a van which was travelling in the same direction. (optimistic i know but could've being very easily)
    The driver and another passenger in the jeep were also taken to hospital. The driver of the van did not require hospital treatment.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1118/rta1.html
    The accident between two cars happened at 7.30pm about two miles outside the town on the Dublin side of the N7. (again traveling in the same direction, simply getting too close or tailgating !)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1104/rta.html
    A 19-year-old woman has died in a car crash in Co Cavan.
    The accident happened at around 10.30pm last night on the R188 at Corravahan, Drung, Cootehill, Co Cavan.
    Gardaí have named the woman as Nicola Roberts, 19-years-old, from Ballinagh, Co Cavan.
    Two cars were involved in the collision, both were travelling in the same direction going from Cootehill to Cavan.

There are plenty of these crashes on the RTE site alone (not all say same direction or opposite direction so its 50/50)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

But we are trying to tell you to let tailgaters pass you as quickly and safely as possible, you are the one intent on keeping them behind you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've just read this. My heads wrecked. I'm not going to get anything done after this. I dunno if it's anger or disbelief:confused:

Onkle wrote: »
    But we are trying to tell you to let tailgaters pass you as quickly and safely as possible, you are the one intent on keeping them behind you :confused:

I dont want them behind nor do i keep them there.

you still seem to be missing what roads are generally being driven on which are single lane both directions with no were to pull over. and if you do slow down your slowing everybody else down with you cos the tailgater isint going fast enough to overtake cos they cant find the gap to speed up or cant overtake cos of traffic on the other side !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I dont want them behind nor do i keep them there.

you still seem to be missing what roads are generally being driven on which are single lane both directions with no were to pull over. and if you do slow down your slowing everybody else down with you cos the tailgater isint going fast enough to overtake cos they cant find the gap to speed up or cant overtake cos of traffic on the other side !

It's rare to drive a really long distance with absolutely nowhere to pull over. Anyway work calls

Onkle wrote: »
    It's rare to drive a really long distance with absolutely nowhere to pull over. Anyway work calls

Not really, even in dublin its not that rare at all.

around the country there are soo many long skinny rural roads that many people do use where its just bearly big enough for two cars to pass each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

We should re-title this thread Morons who think it's their job to administer the speed limit.

Answer: GTF out of the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement