Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TAILGATERS

Options
  • 06-12-2009 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

why do people still do this it annoys me ,i mean if the car in front has too suddenly stop your gonna get the blame for hitting the back of the other car ,

was just coming home and this bmw about 3 time s booted right up too the back of me ,so the last time i saw him comin i lightly steped on the brake not stopping or jamming on , and he had too slow down then peeling off into the right lane for his turn he was looking at me trying to start an argument he had his girlfrend i think with him so no doubt he was trying to show off .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

why do people still do this it annoys me ,i mean if the car in front has too suddenly stop your gonna get the blame for hitting the back of the other car ,

was just coming home and this bmw about 3 time s booted right up too the back of me ,so the last time i saw him comin i lightly steped on the brake not stopping or jamming on , and he had too slow down then peeling off into the right lane for his turn he was looking at me trying to start an argument he had his girlfrend i think with him so no doubt he was trying to show off .

your solution to tailgaters sounds just as dangerous as any tailgater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

when people tailgate me i purposely stick rigidly to the speed limit, even going as far as driving a few kmph below the limit... they don't seem to enjoy this! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

You should probably drive faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

SV wrote: »

and then brake suddenly..... that'll teach the tailgater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

karlog wrote: »

Especially when they lose their no claims discount

• Advertisement

karlog wrote: »

Err..
    no, just..try driving faster.

Err..

why should someone have to drive faster because of an idiot tailgater?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Sometimes if they car behind is doing this and noticeable being an arse or maybe using their high beams, I just put on my hazard lights...most get the message. Alas I am guilty of it myself but thats when there is a perfectly good lane to the left they can pull over into ..... cos i never wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

NLane wrote: »
    when people tailgate me i purposely stick rigidly to the speed limit, even going as far as driving a few kmph below the limit... they don't seem to enjoy this! :D

How about just pulling in and letting them passed, generally people aren't tailgaiting, they're waiting for an opportunity to get past someone who thinks they're doing 100km/h because the speedo in front of them says so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Err..

Many tailgating pr*cks seem to just do it for the laugh. They won't bother overtaking given the chance, they'll just keep tailgating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I think most don't even know they are driving too close. In fact most drivers in this country drive way too close. If you are scared of hitting the car in front because he would brake suddenly, you are probably driving too close as well.

If (or should I say when) I have a tailgater I just increase the distance between me and the car in front so in effect I keep my tailgater's safe distance for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ninty9er wrote: »
    they're waiting for an opportunity to get past someone who thinks they're doing 100km/h because the speedo in front of them says so.

If you're too close to the car infront while driving you're tailgating no matter what you intend to do.

How about just pulling in and letting them passed, generally people aren't tailgaiting, they're waiting for an opportunity to get past someone who thinks they're doing 100km/h because the speedo in front of them says so.

what a ridiculous thing to say... so anyone who has had someone tailgate them must have a faulty speedo?

what a ridiculous thing to say... so anyone who has had someone tailgate them must have a faulty speedo?
    :pac:

I haven't the time nor the inclination to entertain explanations of simple arguments, but that's not what I said.

:pac:

I haven't the time nor the inclination to entertain explanations of simple arguments, but that's not what I said.

well if my speedo says im doin 50 or 60 or 80 or 100 or 120 then thats what im doin. and theres no way i should be expected to pull over for someone who wants to break the speed limit to get past me.

cornbb wrote: »
    Many tailgating pr*cks seem to just do it for the laugh. They won't bother overtaking given the chance, they'll just keep tailgating.

I've never ever seen someone tailgate just for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

Why should I drive faster, if I am doing the speed limit, to accommodate some numpty driver behind who thinks that speed limits don't apply to them.

If someone is tailgating me do they really think I am going to break the speed limit or go faster for them???

musicfan wrote: »
    Why should I drive faster, if I am doing the speed limit, to accommodate some numpty driver behind who thinks that speed limits don't apply to them.

If someone is tailgating me do they really think I am going to break the speed limit or go faster for them???

Well pull in to let them past then. :)

well if my speedo says im doin 50 or 60 or 80 or 100 or 120 then thats what im doin. and theres no way i should be expected to pull over for someone who wants to break the speed limit to get past me.
    Do you also think that you should be allowed to stay in the overtaking lane of a motorway once your speedo says 120?

Do you also think that you should be allowed to stay in the overtaking lane of a motorway once your speedo says 120?

if im overtaking others in the left lane going slower than 120 then yes, if the left lane is free then no.

as long as i stick to the rules of the road by only using the overtaking lane to overtake, and drive at the speed limit, then i shouldnt be expected to pull over to accommodate someone wanting to break the limit.

• Advertisement

if im overtaking others in the left lane going slower than 120 then yes, if the left lane is free then no.

as long as i stick to the rules of the road by only using the overtaking lane to overtake, and drive at the speed limit, then i shouldnt be expected to pull over to accommodate someone wanting to break the limit.

It'd be common courtesy though.

i dont think so... surely it'd be common courtesy not to tailgate someone who is driving at the speed limit?

as said above, if someone is driving in the overtaking lane with nobody in the left lane then this is poor driving and they should use the left lane regardless of what speed they want to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Common automatic reaction to someone driving too close is to slow down to lessen the damage of a rear impact. I wont brake suddenly but I will slow down considerably the closer someone gets.
    Some people cannot understand the laws of physics when in comes to the road, and they also cannot understand cause and effect.

The closer you get, the longer it will take you to get to your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Only if you are under the speed limit.

It is also common courtesy to sit the f*ck back.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Just pull over and be a good boy

lanetards these days eh

i dont think so... surely it'd be common courtesy not to tailgate someone who is driving at the speed limit?

If you're driving along the road at the speed limit and someone comes up behind you looking to get past but can't unless you pull in..

Do you not think it's common courtesy to pull in and let them past seeing as it doesn't inconvenience you to pull in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Definitely siding with the OP on this one. Many mighty high horses out for the hunt today :)

If he is already in the overtaking lane and is in the act of overtaking some cars, why on earth should be suddenly stop the maneauver just to let someone else go ahead and do it faster.

I think it's common courtesy to let the drive overtake and keep a safe distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you're driving along the road at the speed limit and someone comes up behind you looking to get past but can't unless you pull in..

Do you not think it's common courtesy to pull in and let them past seeing as it doesn't inconvenience you to pull in?

I thought it was in the overtaking lane... :confused:

I thought it was in the overtaking lane... :confused:

Eh, since when are we talking about motorways?

• Advertisement

fair point... i guess if its a decent road with a hard shoulder so i dont have to slow myself down too much then it could be done.... but i still think that if im driving at the limit then they shouldnt be looking to overtake me, the limit is there for a reason. sometimes when im in the supermarket and theres a big queue i just feel like walking out without paying for my stuff, but i dont coz its illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement