Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TAILGATERS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

NLane wrote: »
    if im overtaking others in the left lane going slower than 120 then yes, if the left lane is free then no.

as long as i stick to the rules of the road by only using the overtaking lane to overtake, and drive at the speed limit, then i shouldnt be expected to pull over to accommodate someone wanting to break the limit.

I thought this meant a motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Oh, well that does I supoose but I'm still going by the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

SV wrote: »
    Oh, well that does I supoose but I'm still going by the OP.

we've strayed somewhat from the OP's example of tailgating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It'd be common courtesy though.

If someone expects courtesy out of me after tailgating me they're kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bluestreak

well to be honest maybe your the problem on the road, you should just pull over, it costs you notting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

bluestreak wrote: »
    well to be honest maybe your the problem on the road, you should just pull over, it costs you notting

By that logic tailgaters should slow down, it saves them money.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why do some people keep driving at 50kph in a 80kph zone, when the road is straight, it's dry, and at 3pm during a summers day?

Because they're ar$eholes. Simple as. Overtake you say? Not against oncoming traffic, I say. Why doesn't the slow person pull into the hard shoulder to let others pass? Because they're ar$eholes. Said people will only speed up when you are overtkaing them.

the_syco wrote: »
    Why do some people keep driving at 50kph in a 80kph zone, when the road is straight, it's dry, and at 3pm during a summers day?

Because they're ar$eholes. Simple as. Overtake you say? Not against oncoming traffic, I say. Why doesn't the slow person pull into the hard shoulder to let others pass? Because they're ar$eholes. Said people will only speed up when you are overtkaing them.

i agree somewhat here, driving that far below the limit is dangerous when the conditions are fine... but if driving at the limit then a driver shud be under no obligation to pull over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

ah found it, this was over in learning to drive too and this is what i came up with

if i had my way now it'd be slowing down a bit more and swaying all over the road pretending to be drunk so the cnut behind will be to scared to pass. :pac:

or if something ran out on the road what do you do but...

"Oh no, some sort of animal on the road. i must avoid it somehow !

/slams on brakes (screeech craash pow)

"oh no i have crashed, but no worries it was the guy behind me who is at fault :) )

in an accident like that the guy behind will be in a world of debt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

robbie_998 wrote: »
    ah found it, this was over in learning to drive too and this is what i came up with

if i had my way now it'd be slowing down a bit more and swaying all over the road pretending to be drunk so the cnut behind will be to scared to pass. :pac:

"oh no i have crashed, but no worries it was the guy behind me who is at fault :) )

Just..wow.

seriously, wtf is wrong with you?
    Do you think that's meant to be smart or funny or?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Most idiotic post I've ever read here.

Just..wow.

seriously, wtf is wrong with you?
    Do you think that's meant to be smart or funny or?!
    Hammertime wrote: »
    Most idiotic post I've ever read here.

well others seem to think its a fair enough if it were to happen.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055736668&page=3

a bunch of idiots who are still learning to drive are wetting themselves over the excitment of break testing a tailgater.

Jesus Christ thats seriously scary.

a bunch of idiots who are still learning to drive are wetting themselves over the excitment of break testing a tailgater.

Jesus Christ thats seriously scary.

Yes i agree, (no im not a learner but i do have a full license)

there's no point to tailgating full stop, if you need to overtake do it when you have enough room. see that pedal on the right hand side ?

it makes the car go faster if desired ! use it when its safe and keep a good distance away from the other car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

When a person is eager to get past me I try to do my bit so the driver can get past me.

Unlike other's who make it their business to try to stop people getting past them.

Yes i agree, (no im not a learner but i do have a full license)

there's no point to tailgating full stop, if you need to overtake do it when you have enough room. see that pedal on the right hand side ?

it makes the car go faster if desired ! use it when its safe and keep a good distance away from the other car

With respect, judging by your comments and opinions your not exactly the sort of driver who should be handing out driving advice to anyone.

When a person is eager to get past me I try to do my bit so the driver can get past me.

Unlike other's who make it their business to try to stop people getting past them.

fair play but if someone is eager to overtake me i'm not gonna change my driving just for that one person.

what i would do is drive as normal in a proper manner, not speeding and when they see safe to overtake they can overtake, im not gonna slow down or speed up.

keep left on the road (as you normally would) and keep a good steady constant speed.
    With respect, judging by your comments and opinions your not exactly the sort of driver who should be handing out driving advice to anyone.

the first part of my post was a bit of a joke (yes a very bad one)

but if something were to run out on the road in front of you what are you ment to do ?

you hit the brakes to avoid it. If the person behind you crashes into you then thats their problem, they should not have being tailgating in the first place.

it would be the person behind (who was tailgating) who would be at fault if you were to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

I'm not a slow driver but I still get idiots in their civics etc up me arse.

One thing I do for tailgators is engine braking.....thats scares the sheet out of them.

how does that refer to my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

I can understand moving to the left to allow these "speedies" fly
    on, on the motorways but when your going around urban area's
    where its not always possible, and some nut job comes off a round about and tries to bond with your bumper, i just slow down a bit, till they get the message.

• Advertisement

NLane wrote: »
    how does that refer to my post?

Sorry, pressed the wrong button.

BTW, the original poster to your comment was making the point that speedo's over read, sometimes substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lostdesign

Standar approach to tailgaters, stick to the speed limit, even a little below, they will eventually get the message and when start driving like a normal person move over and give them a bit of curtesy, once they have earned after a few miles of course!!! :cool:

On a motorway is a different story especially when in traffic or overtaking, then they can wait their turn until i'm finished overtaking, its hard enough to get into the fast lane in peek times, i'm not moving over to wait another few minutes to get back out again!

I dont care if people want to speed, thats theie business but tailgaiting is a different story, its time they copped on and learned how dangerous it is...

PCros wrote: »

One thing I do for tailgators is engine braking.....thats scares the sheet out of them.

You want to lose money through them crashing into the back of you ?

There's a big difference between your cars market value / replacement cost and your cars book value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

You want to lose money through them crashing into the back of you ?

There's a big difference between your cars market value / replacement cost and a cars book value.

I wouldnt pay a penny plus they would get the message very quickly.

At the end of the day nobody should have to pull over like you said if they're doing the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Engine braking will make them hit you. Scaring them is fair enough, but why would you want to hurt yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

I'm not a slow driver, so when someone's tailgating me then they're just being an a-hole. Seriously, they're in charge of a ton of metal travelling at maybe 60mph and they don't even leave room to slow down! This amazes me.
    My answer is to tap the breaks, just enough to put the breaklights on and if they dont back off after that I'll break harder until they do. If one of these thickos end up in the back of me someday then so be it, they'll be at fault and mabe then learn about breaking distance.

I wouldnt pay a penny plus they would get the message very quickly.

At the end of the day nobody should have to pull over like you said if they're doing the speed limit.

You don't understand the concept that the payout on your car, if written off will not cover the market value of the car you lost or what a replacement car will cost you ?

Also, if brought to court, most courts do not find 100% in favour of either complainaint.

gleep wrote: »
    I'm not a slow driver, so when someone's tailgating me then they're just being an a-hole. Seriously, they're in charge of a ton of metal travelling at maybe 60mph and they don't even leave room to slow down! This amazes me.
    My answer is to tap the breaks, just enough to put the breaklights on and if they dont back off after that I'll break harder until they do. If one of these thickos end up in the back of me someday then so be it, they'll be at fault and mabe then learn about breaking distance.

If you want to go down that game, just throw on the rear fogs all of a shot. The tailgater will thing you're braking, but you actually won't be. A lot safer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

ninty9er wrote: »
    How about just pulling in and letting them passed, generally people aren't tailgaiting, they're waiting for an opportunity to get past someone who thinks they're doing 100km/h because the speedo in front of them says so.

So how do you determine what speed you're doing then? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

the_syco wrote: »

Oh sure, its irritating, but its a speed limit. Its the maximum speed you are allowed to go, not a speed at which you must go.

Some people are not as confident on the road as the rest of us, and before you say "they shouldnt be on the road then" they got their license just like you and me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement