Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 77iron

what does he need to do today in terms of a finish that secures signature event invites?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭paulos53

A lot will depend on how Nicolai Hojgaard performs today. If he drops a few places then a top 30 might be enough to get Lowry into next week's signature event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,769 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Someone asked above ..but I'd always fancy him for an Open again..bad weather ..poor scoring and basically about strategy and getting up and down...

He does seem a bit more focused lately..hoping for a good season..

I would say, he could do with getting rid of the most cranky lad on a course image (him and hatton most notable ones ) ..he could do with dropping that crap.

Whilst entertainment..the majority of golfers don't like it and it's value to performance is very questionable...it just distracts from focus..

Watch the top guys today..very few are on emotional roller coasters..and if thry are , they don't show...as helps opponents too..Bryson probably a rare exception in top 10..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭Trampas

still trying to drop putts in. No commitment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fallen behind Olazabal now!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

No f bombs on 13

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

When it comes to Majors, he is the greatest one hit wonder since Norman Greenbaum or Mungo Jerry 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭GolfPar

Major winner and a 2nd, 3rd & 4th place finish in the other 3. Definitely a one hit wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭big_drive

I'm confident he'll add another major over the next few years. As mentioned above he's finished high in all 4 at some point so his game is good enough in all types of courses and conditions.

I can’t see him winning another major at the moment unless he’s out early and posts a score. He appears to me he’s a leaderboard watcher when at the top and games get a bit shakey when he’s in contention and drops a few shots and posts a good finish but wasn’t going to win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

He is in big money Heritage this week,nice opportunity to bounce back from disappointing Masters.

Not a great week. Looked like he had turned the corner yesterday but still in bed for first 5 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very disappointing to see him unable to contend in a tournament where there is no pressure to make a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Another final day meltdown, unfortunately.🤯😱

Not the performance you want on a sponsors invite. Him and Rory might win next week as they could dovetail well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'd prefer to put hope into a pairing where one or other player had some semblance of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭REFLINE1

Shanes putting is a serious problem. loses strokes on the greens almost every round, his irons have been as good as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭dublin49

More last day apathy I would think,but his hot streak is definitely over and unfortunately back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

Saw a few holes yesterday evening and the lads were flying. Heard Lowry on the radio this morning saying he was much more relaxed and not as frustrated as normal. In fairness, he was quick to point out it's handy to have Rory to back you up.

Foursomes tonight will be interesting.

Will be great to seem them continue that momentum through to foursomes, at the elite level of golf foursomes should be pretty relaxed and enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, interesting alright. Shane number 1 on tour at the moment for driving accuracy, so will Rory do better hitting from good spots in fairways?

Will Shane benefit from being 20 yards further toward the green than usual?

Intuitively I thought Rory would take the 3 par threes (unevens, 3 long par 3s), but apparently that isn't the plan, they intend to use Rory driving the hard par 4s. Sounds like the game management we're used to with Rory 🤦‍♂️. I'd prefer to have Shane accuracy off the tee, leaves Rory further out, so no hitting as many wedges....which has to be good for Rory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm sure the lads will figure it out and play to whatever is most comfortable for them. They know more about each other's games than almost anyone.

Tbf I'd prefer Lowry on any short iron/wedge distance atm. There was one Par 4 where Rory hammered to 40 yards and his pitch was impossible so he couldn't get it close. Lowry squeezed out a fairway finder and had a full wedge that nearly jarred before making a nice birdie. Another hole Rory had a big pull on a PW from 160 on the fairway where he left 30-40ft, seems short irons are still kryptonite for him as the commentators alluded to his pattern.

For all that Rory criticism I'm making, the lads are T1 and posted -11 so I'm being fairly picky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

this isn't us, these are tour pros, there should be little/nothing in their shot making ability

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Shane's putting letting the side down last few holes unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

You never really fancy Shane holing out from 4-6 feet. Holds him back big time

how did that not go in the water. Writing is on the trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 6 animajic

Yeah seems like luck might be on their side this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I have no clue who is training Shane on his putting but this idea of let's not think about it and just hit it is rollox

• Advertisement

I assume that’s for a player who when over the ball has to many things going through his head so hit it quickly. I don’t think we will ever see him use a blade putter. Is he always a 2 ball putter user?

Advertisement