Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

How on earth do they pop them balls out of that rough green side - and be like 3 feet or under away

I'd slip under it - or top it -

Unreal stuff.

The wind etc is helping Shane - because as he is not shooting lights out - he is hanging in there and they are making the odd mistake.

He would have been in trouble on s still day - as these lads would go deep here.

I don't understand golf these days - Clark put the club behind ball there - pushed down - ball moved a bit - this improves lie - you can't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought he improved his lie too as he made a space behind the ball it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Some highs and lows here, poor 3 putt couple holes back and then he holes an unbelievable one on 17th.

Tied lead going into tomorrow would be a good result for today given where he was after the front none

• Advertisement

Look if you push down - what 10 times you are improving your lie - did he then do the old change club talk to caddy trick and go back - goes to show what they are at - and you see it in club golf too.

Great stuff Shane - and to give out to him (as a fan) - why him getting cranky at times makes no sense . Just hanging in here at times is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

They tell you that its ok as long as the ball doesn't move a revolution but clearing a space behind it by pushing down your wedge many times is improving your lie imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Been a very mixed round today but the mentality to come back is great to see

• Advertisement

Great round Shane, Offaly's finest vs the world's finest, going to be a box office Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great finish. Hopefully can get it done tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dublin49

fair play Shane,hate to see you out front from R1 but we are where we are,playing great and go shot for shot with scheffler tomorrow and you wont be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Full credt to Shane for a great rally on back 9 when it looked like he might be on the slide. Tomorrow will be a true test of his mettle ...in the final group with the world no.1 and pursued by a quality top 10. Prizemoney is mega -even if he doesn't win he could be in for a cool million dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Shane has battled adversity the last two days and beat it. I love that he's out with Scheffler because he has that fight in him to best the best.

It's still wide open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Great play from Shane today. 3 putt on 14 the one frustrating mistake but all in all tee to green is very solid and that's where shots can be lost so easily around this course. Hopefully he'll give it a better run than last week but no doubt it's anyone from 10 players on a course like this

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GolfPar

This is a seriously tough test of golf. Great play from Shane to be in contention. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

Out with Scottie should help take the pressure off him compared to last week as well as field is stronger behind him also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Will be fascinating to see Shane's game plan . Playing it safe might seem a sensible way to go for the first 5 or 6 holes but risks falling into arrears and as Rory rightly said this is not a course where you need to be chasing -one slight mishit or missed placement and the course will just gobble you up. He is capable of getting a bunch of birdies . If he can ship no more than ,say, two bogies and avoids a double,he can post a possible winning or tying score. I reckon about 4 under will win it and 3 under will be on the premises. Wonder what score would he take if offered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You can't win it on the front 9 but you can definitely lose it, keep it steady early on, this will be won on the back 9.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

If he plays like he did today then he is in with a great shout. If he throws the head after a mistake then he won't be. I hope his caddy keeps him cool and focused because he certainly has the game to win this competition.

He's like a temperamental colt, caddy needs a bucket of water to stop him boiling over!

I like Shane ..big fan...but I seen it at Ryder Cup too...his mood swings are not really ideal for performance and go against all.the theory.

But I don't like robot pros...

I wonder has he ever gone deep on mental side of game ...

But maybe you just got to take ups and downs and accept..it is who he is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I love watching Shane, tantrums and all. Of all the pros he’s the one most like us hackers. Just with buckets more skill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

Just saw the video of it, bloody hell, that was sketchy, and that's being generous. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I did that and didn't call it tbh.

Interesting explanation about the naked eye standard, I didn't know that was still in the "new" rules.

Anyway fingers crossed Shane can make a good battle of it tonight and take down Scheffler. Should be good viewing given the way they both putt, it might be like watching two blind men pin the tail on the donkey 😁 (I'm saying it in jest !)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Russman

They'll be offering odds on how many times TV have to apologise for the language..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭Trampas

I wonder will he pull out of Singapore and hand the cheque back or do a deal to return next year. No matter what happens today and if he does ok next week at players he will be drained I say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

That grass is really tricky to chip from too, from my memory

There's fair bit of talk that Bay Hill is not a particularly good course, it's not so clear on TV to see why, relative to most other PGA Tour courses at least.

As someone who has played it, what's the reason for that opinion in your view?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

I think it's up there with Sawgrass, Augusta and PGA National for entertainment. Really good course to watch and set up looks great

Advertisement